PDA

View Full Version : Tell and cry

Mpyles
March 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
We need a tell and cry topic..

I am almost done with the hubby's quilt ...down to the last quarter of it..fmq...do the quilting only to pull it out and see my backing has folded over and is bunched up and sewed down..... Whahahahaha!

Mary
SW Missouri

RiverMomm
March 12th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Ohhhh, I feel your pain. We DO need a tell and cry section.

I am still ripping from my venture into fold over Land. And I will be ripping for a LONG time as it was almost done.

lilmouse
March 12th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Yesterday I spent handquilting 4 little mug rugs with warm n natural batting...the worst batting to try to handquilt through! Way to dense....it can be done but you will be hurting when done! Put the needle through my thumb...almost half of it! That smarted!

shannonsaulter
March 13th, 2013, 12:55 AM
tried making a scrappy chicken..took 1 1/2 inch strips swewed tring to square disaster and wasted fabric...BOOHOO

Mpyles
March 13th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Yesterday I spent handquilting 4 little mug rugs with warm n natural batting...the worst batting to try to handquilt through! Way to dense....it can be done but you will be hurting when done! Put the needle through my thumb...almost half of it! That smarted!

Ouch!! That hurts to even hear!

ilive2craft2
March 13th, 2013, 01:16 AM
sorry about your quilt! I tried to do a charm patch skirt last night, but wanted it a bit smaller, since my great niece is only 3. On the Q&A on you tube, Jenny suggested 6 and 9 squares for each row and just doing the 2 rows if doing for a younger girl. Well it turned out great until I measured it - it would just barely fit her now and I want it to last at least 2 wearings (hopefully), so I took it apart tonight and added the other row and more squares - back to the original pattern, but with some extra seams in the waistband and bottom hem....still not completely done. Got to get it in the mail soon - her 4th bday is on the 17th! Hopefully, can finish tomorrow night and overnight it to her. Was hoping to do a little matching tote....guess that won't be happening.....

Judy~Ann
March 13th, 2013, 01:19 AM
That is awful. I'm sorry ...I know it hurts. I've done sooooo much seam ripping, I can't even tell you. But.. my latest sew and feel like crying episode began last night. I made a very simple pinwheel square to use as a pot holder. It turned out really pretty until I put the binding on. For some reason it didn't fit correctly and I was too tired to redo it so finished it and I made it work. Today it looks awful. Trash or redo ....

rebeccas-sewing
March 13th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Machine embroidery on a quilt for my daughter. Forgot to remove a pin and the machine snagged on it. What a pain. Had to rip out some of the design to get it to look right. Still not perfect but I got the part fixed that stuck out like a sore thumb. Feeling everyone's pain in the blunders department. BooHoo! WAAAAA! By the way, I've done that same thing on several occasions. Looked at the back and fabric folded under and sewn down. Talk about swear words flying!!!

promqueen
March 13th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Whahahahaha!:(

buckeyequilter
March 13th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I agree we need at "tell and cry" section. I thought I was the only one that did things like that....until I read this. I think the one that hurt the most was when I stuck the seam ripper in my finger. And getting...not just a little tuck or fold on the back....half the quilt back is a tuck.

mamaquilt
March 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Feel sorry for you and hope that you have a good and new "Jack the ripper".

Lisapc
March 13th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I am sorry that happened but your idea of a Tell and Cry is great. I just don't want to be the one to have to start it every day because it means I would have a tell and cry.

RiverMomm
March 13th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Or maybe it could be called "Mistakes happen, share the quilting pain". LOL

madampolo
March 13th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I am making a 58 inch Lone Star using printed interfacing. Twice I started a row with the wrong color and had to rip out the entire row. I feel for the people who end up with a wrinkle on the backing after quilting. That happened to me on my daughter's quilt, and it took 8 hours to rip out.

alliek
March 13th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Well to join the group, while cutting the borders for my quilt last week, I cut the fabric wrong and now I don't have enough for the backing in the way I wanted to lay it, so I've made extra work for myself trying to piece this fabric (which is a Moda fabric) to look as good as the face of the quilt. Sigh. I'm going to tackle it today right after I sign out of the Forum.

Madeforyouinma11
March 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I think you should redo.. You said it was really pretty and you were tired when you did the binding. It's a potholder so it's small enough that it shouldn't take long to redo and you'll be happy you did in the end! I want pics...

That is awful. I'm sorry ...I know it hurts. I've done sooooo much seam ripping, I can't even tell you. But.. my latest sew and feel like crying episode began last night. I made a very simple pinwheel square to use as a pot holder. It turned out really pretty until I put the binding on. For some reason it didn't fit correctly and I was too tired to redo it so finished it and I made it work. Today it looks awful. Trash or redo ....

Jean Sewing Machine
March 13th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I am making a 58 inch Lone Star using printed interfacing. Twice I started a row with the wrong color and had to rip out the entire row. I feel for the people who end up with a wrinkle on the backing after quilting. That happened to me on my daughter's quilt, and it took 8 hours to rip out.

Joyce, let me know how that is going, I purchased the printed interfacing to do one of these, and really don't even know where to start with the colors. I would be very happy to hear from you on how that project is going. The interfacing is not cheap,, and I don't want to mess it up. Howo many colors did you use? Did you do a rainbow, or a range of hues of the same related colors? What kind of fabric are you using? Solids? batiks? There are so many possibilities for this!

debinmalaga
March 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Ohhh honey, I have been there and done THAT. More than once! And of course cried! It stinks!!!

My sympathies!

Sandy Navas
March 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mary, one of our long-time members recently did a very similar number - and she got her mother to come help her take all those stitches to the little stitch-haven in the sky. Suzi you may want to jump in and truly commiserate with Mary - she needs some broad shoulders.

Haven't we all done this?

ILove2quilt
March 14th, 2013, 01:17 PM

OUCH, hope your ok.

lilmouse
March 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah I am fine....luckily it slid at a slight angle...one drop of blood and slapped a bandaid on it right away...too afraid to would start up again and I would be cleaning that off...didn't need that...was able to work with it the next day with no problems...very thankful I keep up to date on my tetanus shots....due for another one next October!

Suzette
March 14th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Oh, what a timely thread! I'm working on a queen-sized quilt for my sister and have it about half-way quilted. I took it out from under the machine to go and switch out some laundry and when I came back (about three minutes later) I found that one of my dear, sweet kitties had thrown up a hairball right on the quilt! Grrr . . .

I cleaned it up as best I could, but there are areas that haven't come completely clean. Since it's in the middle of being quilted and not bound yet, there's no throwing it in the washer to clean it thoroughly. Not much I can do but finish it as quickly as I can and get it into the washer and hope for the best.

Good thing I love those darn cats so much . . . :D