PDA

View Full Version : Why SIZE is important to me

Sandy Navas
January 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I've received quite a few comments about how lucky I am to have such a huge sewing area and I really must explain. For over half my married life I lived 'overseas' on a company compound . . . in a TINY little space. My Mother chastised me when I returned Stateside, because I insisted on a very LARGE home. We're lucky to have settled in an area where housing is extremely reasonable and I was determined to find a place where I could spread out. I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time, but when it comes time to clean I wonder if my Mother didn't know BEST. She always did, you know.

One of the reasons I wanted to move my sewing room into the under-utilized family room was because I have SIX beautiful granddaughters who live within 2 miles of me. They are 19, 10, 8, 6, 3, and 2. The 10, 8, and 6 year old ALL want to come over and sew with Nana and would be here every day if it were possible. I could only have one of them at a time before and it was wearing me out to have one a day every week . . . now I can bring the three of them together and only give up one day to teaching and the rest of the time I will get to play.

My husband has a woodworking shop/business and yesterday I received three packages with fabric. He inquisitively asked me "Just how long do you think it will take you to use all that material?" - to which I replied "How long will it take you to use up your wood stash." And he declared us even. I may run out and search for more remnants today . . . or maybe not.

I LOVE this forum - everyone is so fantastic. And sometimes I just feel the need to have someone who understands so I can share things (like my excitement). Thanks to each of you for being so receptive!!!!

NM Lady
January 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
It is awesome your granddaughters wish to sew with Nana!

AND I'm jealous. Would love to have a good size sewing room.

God bless and take care.

ginampls
January 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
oh golly, when i had the house before my foreclosure... i had a great room in my basement... but now i have a wall of space in my bedroom. which is nice enough. some day i hope to have table like a kola... so when i am done with a project. i can tuck it away... in the mean time i am getting good stuff. out and i am able to be a free spirit. the skill you hold and pass on to your grand daughters.. is priceless. with the space you have. all the better for them... as for your fabric packages.... use them up..

and enjoy it...
all the best gina from northern MN

GlendaSue
January 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Many many years ago, I worked at the local TG&Y store in the fabric department. It was roomy, the table was exactly the right height for cutting and had all that wonderful fabric close at hand, neatly stacked according to color, the spools of thread creating a wonderful rainbow against the wall. I get giddy just thinking of it. :D In the process of converting my home office into a sewing room, I am using that dream area as my pattern. I won't have it exactly the same way, but it is going to be close. So I too have one reason why to me size is important.
Also, it is so encouraging to learn that girls today are still interested in learning "home ec" lessons.

sally
January 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Sandy If I could have a big sewing room I would too esp when you are so lucky to be able to sew with you Grandchildren. They will treasure the memories you are making. BLessing to you my new frieind!

Onetiredmomma
January 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Sandy,
I have a small house, and when it comes to sewing, I am tucked away in a corner. I appreciate your large room, and I know that there are days that I wish my house was bigger, but I think it's an even trade that I don't have to clean a bigger house. When I finish my next quilt I think I'll have to lay it out in our church, but it would be nice to be able to lay it out in our home.

My father is an avid woodworker and I've helped him in his wood shop my whole life. Have you ever marveled at how closely techniques for sewing and woodworking are? I find that I can attempt projects that I've never tried with a sewing machine simply because I have done some related technique in carpentry. I think about this all the time, and wondered if you saw the similarities with your husband?

I never really appreciated sewing with my grandmother when I was younger, and sewing was her passion. She did sit me down to teach me to cross stitch though. I wish I had done what your granddaughters do with you. Now I just wish that she could see me now. Enjoy that time with them. They will have those memories forever!

Lin

Blondie
January 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I can't complain about being a basement sew-er. It is unfinished, cinderblock walls with insulation overhead but it is my refuge! My sis calls it our happy place. I listen to music or listen to the lurid murder stories on ID while sewing. (Betcha could've done without that last tidbit. I do adore true crime as long as it doesn't happen to me)
It is large enough, just hard to find the $$ to get at least a few wall boards put up to make me feel less in a basement. Our woodstove is there, so I stay nice and toasty. And of course my Dinah kitty loves company.

I remember the days of sewing in a small wee area of a room. I admire and respect all who don't have more space. Been there, done that, made the t-shirt into a quilt. Kudos to all of you in that space because it shows me that you have that driven need to create, relax and envision what can be.

Sandy, you are an inspiration, along with the rest of our quilty sisters here. I am so glad that you found us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie
January 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Oh and GlendaSue! I wanted to tell you that I remember TG&Y stores! I miss them! I have very fond memories of foraging their fabric dept back in the day. Thanks for the memory!
Blessings
Blondie

plix
January 5th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Sandy,
I have a small house, and when it comes to sewing, I am tucked away in a corner. I appreciate your large room, and I know that there are days that I wish my house was bigger, but I think it's an even trade that I don't have to clean a bigger house. When I finish my next quilt I think I'll have to lay it out in our church, but it would be nice to be able to lay it out in our home.

My father is an avid woodworker and I've helped him in his wood shop my whole life. Have you ever marveled at how closely techniques for sewing and woodworking are? I find that I can attempt projects that I've never tried with a sewing machine simply because I have done some related technique in carpentry. I think about this all the time, and wondered if you saw the similarities with your husband?

I never really appreciated sewing with my grandmother when I was younger, and sewing was her passion. She did sit me down to teach me to cross stitch though. I wish I had done what your granddaughters do with you. Now I just wish that she could see me now. Enjoy that time with them. They will have those memories forever!

Lin
Lin, I TOTALLY get what you're saying about wood! I LOVE marquetry! It is SO much like quilting!:icon_happy:
I have a small corner in the garage for my scroll saw, carver, etc. & I'm there whenever it isn't too cold.
Otherwise I'm quilting. I have a corner of the guest bedroom & the bed in there is my design wall.
It seems big to me after living in the cab of a truck (I was a long haul trucker with my hubby) for most
of my adult life.
Sandy, you & your gkids are so lucky to live so close & be able to spend time together. They will cherish
the time & pass the sewing skills & the love on to their kids...wait & see. My mom taught me to sew when I was very young, & I still have the sewing machine she gave me for my 9th birthday. It still works! I will never forget the times we spent sewing together!
GlendaSue, if I worked in a store like that, they would get all my wages right back! I'd be workin for fabric! :lol:

Sandy Navas
January 5th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Lin and Plix

Amazing how you've both picked up on the correlation between woodworking and quilting/sewing. I am the one who convinced my husband to start doing woodworking - about 25 years ago. My father had a construction company and I still have his lathe and his turning tools that I used to sharpen when he wasn't home . . . and I had to stand on a milk case to be tall enough to turn. Of course, I didn't do much except ruin his tools then. But, after convincing my husband he could build a picnic table for us . . . and he had to have a work bench first, and a table saw . . . and you get the picture. We bought tools and set up a shop when we lived overseas. When we retired and moved back home we bought this place with 6 acres. We immediately built a 35x40 foot shop and it is outfitted with about every tool imaginable. We have collected antique tools, and have new ones, tool I used to work side by side with Al - he does the big stuff and I do scrollsaw work, carving, lathe turning, pyrography, etc. But, about 3 years ago I had both knees replaced and currently fuss daily with a hip that threatens to need the same treatment. So, going to the shop became quite a pain for me especially while I was recovering. I am getting close to the point of heading back there a couple days a week though.

During this recent relocation of the sewing room, Al was most helpful and encouraging. And, one day when we were putting machines in place and he was asking questions about various pieces of equipment, he even remarked . . . "Gee, it's just like woodworking."

We're all related to Michelangelo.