PDA

View Full Version : Question

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 12th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I have a dumb question. I saw a video once (it might have been a M*SQ video) where they put something over the ends of the straight pins to keep them from poking you when you are handling your quilt. Does anyone know where to get those or how to make them. I am soooo tired of poking myself with pins.

Please help. :(

Jean Sewing Machine
March 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Some people get foam insulation that comes like a rope from the hardware store. I don't know what it is called. It is about 3/4" in diameter. They cut it into 1" pieces and push the pieces on the ends of the pins. From what I hear, it is way cheaper than buying the sewing notion that does the same thing. I don't remember what those things are called, either.

Blondie
March 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Our Jan Luna has used those as well but I can't remember the name either. Perhaps she will see this and pop in. Thanks Jean for a good tip.

I use quilters curved safety pins on my quilts once I have spray basted.

Musical_Starling
March 12th, 2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.pinmoor.com/

:D

lighthouse
March 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I also read somewhere that you can use ear plugs to cover your pins.

wicked
March 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM

That sounds like a good idea.....Probably pretty cheap at the dollar store. Thanks :)

Winniesfriend
March 12th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I bought some pinmoors unfortunately I am not completely happy with them, they were tending to fall off, I am thinking of trying some ear plus which would be a lot cheaper.

Sandy Navas
March 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM

I have tried those - in fact I bought several hundred on-line a few years ago. I always jump in head first before sampling something and buy too many. I was not impressed. I have graduated to the curved quilting pins and really like them so much better.

bakermom
March 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I use curved safety pins or hand baste.
The Pinmoors seem awful expensive to me.

Blondie
March 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I tried the ear plugs from the dollar tree. They didn't work worth a poot.
Like I said, quilter's saftey pins work excellently - they come in two sizes - large and regular size - and it is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the pinmoors.

I am still thinking about jean's idea. I may have to try that and will let you know what i think.