PDA

View Full Version : Are you bored . . . yet?

Sandy Navas
January 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Here are some pictures of the finished (well, almost) sewing room change. I still have about a thousand or more pieces of fabric to refold and wrap on my foam core boards. But EVERY thing else in the room has been gone through and sorted, categorized . . . all that sort of stuff to make my life easier (I HOPE).

Texsam
January 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Great job on your sewing room. How lucky to have that window view.

SuzyQue
January 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Nope, keep sending the pics! I love them! What a great view as you sew....excellent idea. I can't believe all the machines you own. Is that a common thing with quilters? You must never have to change threads or bobbins...just change machines! That fabric wound on foam core and all organized by color-----terrific! I wish I could be so neat! That will be very handy and accessible! I bet that took a lot of time! I have a similar china cabinet.....full of dishes....hmmmmm?! Makes me think of new functions for old things! In picture 3---are you using rain guttering to hold the ribbons? Great idea! How do you hook it up?
Excellent job----you should be so proud! Suzy Que

Sandy Navas
January 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Suzy Que - you are quite observant. The ribbons are in plastic guttering from Lowes - with end caps. Very reasonable price wise. The pegboard is framed on the back with spacers placed so it could be screwed into studs in the walls. Those spacers provided support where my husband screwed the gutters to the pegboard.

In reference to the number of sewing machines - I don't use them all. I tend to over do things and people know I like sewing machines so someone is always passing one along, or else I see a good deal and I just can't pass it up. For instance, I have five machines that aren't showing in those pictures - two Featherweights, another 1916 Singer, a 1956 Singer, and an 1800's (unknown year) Ohio Farmer's machine. I need to sell some, don't you think?

Dragonfly
January 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sandy you and your lovely husband has done a great job, I'm envious of the space you have, but I am also grateful of the space I have since I know it is more than many of our members enjoy. I hope your new area gives a great deal of pleasure, it should wonderful to work in.

RFREE
January 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Suzy Que - you are quite observant. The ribbons are in plastic guttering from Lowes - with end caps. Very reasonable price wise. The pegboard is framed on the back with spacers placed so it could be screwed into studs in the walls. Those spacers provided support where my husband screwed the gutters to the pegboard.

In reference to the number of sewing machines - I don't use them all. I tend to over do things and people know I like sewing machines so someone is always passing one along, or else I see a good deal and I just can't pass it up. For instance, I have five machines that aren't showing in those pictures - two Featherweights, another 1916 Singer, a 1956 Singer, and an 1800's (unknown year) Ohio Farmer's machine. I need to sell some, don't you think?
Hey Sandy I'm right there with you about the machines I have several and only use 3 of them. Like you I can't pass up a good deal. Love your room. esp. the gutter idea. gonna try that myself. Thanks for posting your pictures I couldn't wait to see them but it was well worth the wait. Great job!

SuzyQue
January 5th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Sandy,
Thanks for the info on the guttering/ribbon holders! Now to implement it myself!
No, you don't have to sell any machines. If you love them, get good deals on them, have space to keep them.....then do. I am sure the things I collect might not be what others would treasure. I have just never seen anyone with so many different types of machines! I think it is a great thing! I imagine each machine has that one thing/stitch that you prefer. I just have one machine and one serger, but then I just have a little nook space,too. Works for me! Works for you! I would never tell you to sell them! Suzy Que

Blondie
January 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Good Morning, Sandy
I can't remember if I posted to any of your pics or not and too lazy to go back and look. I just wanted to thank you for sharing all of your metamorphosis with us. I have so enjoyed seeing these pics and lawdy day, what a huge room. You could hold classes there!
Great ideas and organization too.
Blessings
Blondie

debinmalaga
January 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Sandy, congrats on your room! It was interesting to hear that it's an improvement for you over cramped quarters - seems like most of us have or had that (after all, one of the great things about quilting is you don't need a lot of room to do it) and some still bring their creations out of tiny spaces. I'm still amazed at jrchapman doing quilting at "uni" in england. I have a daughter who is also an engineering student in college here in the U.S., and know how demanding it is and how cramped college living is. jr is all the more inspiring an artist :-).

I'm a sewing room junkie, you'll never bore me! I'm so glad you found the forum and took the time to share your pictures. Whenever my remodel happens I'll share as well. That's one of the wonderful things about this site - the eye candy!

I was concerned to hear about your hip :-(. I'm tall too (5'8") and my joints are starting to get a little tricky at 47. Thanks for sharing about that, too.

Winterof63
January 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM
The sewing room is great! Where did you get the ideas for your storage items? Did you see them somewhere, or are you really creative? I mean, I know you are creative, you're a Quilter! For instance the gutter for ribbon holder, very creative!

janluna
January 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Sandy, Love the picture of your sewing room. And I love the view you have. How pretty is that? Congratulations!