PDA

View Full Version : Did you sleep in? Sunday

Blondie
March 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Happy Sunday folksies! And Happy Mother's Day to our UK folksies!

I am just waking up; not even had a full cuppa yet. I stayed up far too late last night and I am not sure but I think I am starting to feel normal. Yays. Once I get rid of this cough I will be back in the pink.

On Sundays, the family generally visits each other, mostly impromptu without any coaching, It has become a ritual for we'uns on The Hill. I think a lot of families still do this and I hope it continues. Today I am looking forward to seeing my Mom. I haven't seen her since Tuesday when I carried her to the eye doctor. I spoke with her on the phone - just not the same as looking at her. I may even make a lemon meringue pie. I got my recipe from Mrs Emory, who at 97 is still living. Mr. Emory just passed a few weeks ago. They used to run the Sealest Dairy Diner years ago.

You know, one of those kind of places with curb service. I was a car hop there for a short while back in the day. Mrs. Emory made the bestest pies - they are actually legend around here - and when I decided it was time to leave home, she gave me several pages of hand written recipes that I have kept as a cook book of sorts. I had not seen the Emory's in many years, after I returned home to Rockingham County I would drive past the Diner and sadly see that it was no longer a drive in. It is a car lot of all things. I knew the Emory's were still alive and I kept meaning to stop by their house; I wasn't sure if they would remember me, it had been so very long. Then last year, I was going into the grocers and coming out, holding hands were the Emory's. I was so overcome with joy at seeing them. Both were frail and kinda shriveled up but quick witted and sharp eyed as ever. Before I could say howdy do, Mrs Emory smiled and said, "Well Miss Fain, you haven't changed a bit. I am of course overlooking the fact that you have enjoyed many lemon pies"

So, today I will make Mrs. Emory's lemon pie, and perhaps even a Buttermilk Pie.

Enjoy your day, folksies. Even the little things like fond memories with sweet folks like the Emory's who helped to mold your outlook on life - are good little things to cherish. I like to smile when I think of her banana bread . . .

grannyann
March 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Good morning. Glad to see you about this morning. I never sleep in I get up the same time everyday. It is 53 and cloudy here and the birds are singing this morning. What a nice sound besides the trains. Getting ready for church and those are all the plans I have for today.
Happy Mothers Day to the UK moms. Blondie don't over do it. Have a pleasant Sunday all

aliaslaceygreen
March 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Slet in as much as possible with clocks moving forward and having to work!!!

Sounds like a wonderful old couple...how nice to have those kinds of memories, isn't it?

Getting Laylabug for the night after work and have her all day tomorrow, so no quilting on the horizon...

Take care everyone!

MRoy
March 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Good morning! Ann, I usually always get up at the same time too, but today I woke up early then dozed off and overslept. I haven't been up long at all. It takes me about two weeks to get fully sprung forward and I may get just a little grumpy during that time. Blondie, it's good to hear that you're feeling better and ready to bake pies.

Lindagie
March 10th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Good Morning Everyone! It is somewhat rainy here. We are supposed to get more today, so it will be a good day to stay in. We forgot to move the clocks up, but Torre was my alarm clock; had to take her out at the usual time. Guess I better change the clocks now before I forget.
That line about enjoying those lemon pies from your Mrs. Emory cracked me up; sounds like some of the "older" ladies around here. Now I wish I had some of that lemon pie; love that stuff. I miss the older restaurants that made all of those wonderful home made pies.
Better go get some coffee and change those clocks. Have a great day wherever you are!

buckeyequilter
March 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/goodmorning/morning-piggy.gif (http://www.dazzlejunction.com/)

I'm going to work on my sewing room today but first I had to finish sewing a JR quilt that I started last night, so that top is finished, I'm just going to quilt and bind it with no borders. I made it from Enchanted Gardens - the same fabric I used for my tumbler quilt. I think I'll hang it on the back of my rocking chair, in my bedroom.

I have several projects I need to work on, so when I get my room cleaned up I will either work on:
Butterfly Garden squares for the swap
March gift for the SS swap
UFO for March

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

shermur
March 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Good morning...yes slept in! Since it is raining and yucky outside, I plan to piece more on the new quilt i have started. I have totally fallen in love with the "tube" technique that I saw on MSQC tutorial and it's going to together quite quickly!

Bubby
March 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Good Morning,

I slept nearly all day yesterday...beginning with a 5 hour nap in the afternoon...up for an hour for dinner and a shower..and back to bed and slept 10 more hours without waking up. It's rainy and foggy here this morning and I could easily (and may) go back to bed and see if I can get some more sleep. DH and I love to nap on Sundays. There aren't that many naps in life...take advantage of them whenever you can!

I wish all the UK Mom a very Happy Mother's Day!

Hugs, Barb

bakermom
March 10th, 2013, 11:37 AM
wide awake here! It's bright and sunny today, it's supposed to hit 60(we'll see) then cold and snowy by the end of the week. I'm waiting for DH to finish getting ready for Mass then we'll stop by to see my mom and visit with my DB and SIL for a bit. I'll probably be lazy otherwise today, no projects going on right now. Finished some lttle things for DDs last week but that's it. Maybe dig around and see where I put some batiste I use for smocking.

CrazyMtnLady
March 10th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Good morning all. Woke up to the sound of rain on the roof and a pounding headache and sore throat! Turned the clock ahead and started coffee. Now I am sitting in bed nice and warm. If my headache remains I will be spending my day here!

Blondie, you are making me drool for a Lemon Meringue Pie. It has been so long since I made one and it is one of my favorites. Plus I love Buttermilk Pie, Sugar Cream Pie, Peanut Butter Pie....I love pie! What wonderful memories all those recipes must bring back. Maybe I'll see what kind of ingredients I have on hand and make me a pie today if I feel better later.
-=-=( < Blondie that is from TarButt, she decided to lay her head on the keyboard and say Hi!)

Coffee smells ready! Yippee

Have a great day everyone.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Iris Girl
March 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Good morning everyone!! It is sunny here today and promises to be a great day. I have 2 loads of wash on the line and grocery shopping done.Yesterday was my youngest sons birthday so today we are making my famous cheesecake. I love cheesecake.
Blondie I would love your recipe for lemon meringue pie, since that rates a close second to cheesecake in my book.

Might squeeze in some sewing time, have some COC blocks cut but not sewn and I have the quilt going to Marilyn to back and quilt, plus a few other things in the kettle.

have a great day all so happy the sun is shining!!

CountryHut
March 10th, 2013, 12:09 PM
G'morning all -- Happy Mum's Day to all the MUMs

didn't sleep in - went to bed early so I woke early and then went back to bed for a few hours
nothing on the plan book today -- so I might piddle around with something or another
hubby is off today - works 2 days then off 5 days -- he new work schedule is a breeze for him - not so much of a breeze for me
- he has to many words those days . . I think he saved them all for his days off . . L*~
the man loves to gossip . . AND brings up stuff that might had happened months and months ago . . good grief - like that is old news get over it . . he's just to funny at times . .

well off to go piddle - ya'll have a blessed day

Granny Judy
March 10th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Just shaking the sleep off and trying to get my day started. I worked on a quilt all day yesterday and into the late night. There is something about bright colors that grab me and spin me around til I "make" something with them. Bought 4 rolls (28strips each) of Big Lot Jelly rolls. The fabric is as good as JoAnns < if not better.> And only $7.50 each.

Forgot about turning the clocks ahead, so I am really behind today.. Lemon M. Pie used to be my very most Favorite , till I stole one and ate it all by myself.. Now I can hardly stand the smell of lemons.. So I'll just stick to the good ol chocolate pie an let ya all have your fill.

Off to fix the clock problem around here... hugs and prayers going out to all our quilty friends and family.

Lindagie
March 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Even though it is rainy and gloomy, I got so excited to see my first bluebird of the year; Yay! Have been lazy so far this morning, but need to put my baby quilt together and start quilting. Blondie and other handquilters; I think I need some advice on how to quilt this one; I am going to try to post it and maybe I can get some advice. Just had to come back and mention that beautiful bluebird; now trying to upload a picture of the baby quilt. That is all!

BellasQuilts
March 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Good morning all. Lovely story, Blondie and sounds like you are on the mend. Today, DD is coming over again to sew. She has been bit by the bug!

Lisapc
March 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I slept until 9:30 am which is much later than my 6:20 am workday rising. I will hopefully not fall asleep before bed tonight.

Blondie: I love the elderly. I think they are a treasure of information and intelligence. I used to carry a "token" old lady as a patient when I was first nursing. It was the highlight of my day in between spinal injuries which were usually young men injured do to bad decisions and hospice. I always had that little old lady and if I was lucky a little old man to look forward to visiting.

What is a buttermilk pie? I have never heard of it.

Have a great day to all.

GuitarGramma
March 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Good morning all. It's a beautiful day here in Northern California. The weeds are starting to take over my fallow garden patch, so I may take care of them today. But #1 on the agenda is finishing my February UFO -- I'm so close! The binding has been stitched to the back with a 12" gap, and my M*QC binding tool is beckoning. In 10 minutes I can have breakfast (took my thyroid & have to wait 1/2 hour) then I will sequester myself in my sewing room. Our youngest gets home from college tonight, and we can hardly wait.

it's gonna be a great day!

auntiemern
March 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Good day all. Was up very late, which is nothing unusual for me, so I kept my lazy butt in bed late too. What was that word that Daisy used yesterday. Well anyway that is me. Not sure what will get done today in the fabric world. Almost finished hand quilting the quilt from Cynthia. Gotta take my Kenz today to pick out a different bike, the one her mom got her is just a little to big for her. May try to get Rhonda a table topper put together. Kinda rainy lazy day, so must force myself to do something. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 10th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I did sleep in, mainly because I went to bed on Standard time at midnight and woke up at 4:30 a.m. standard time, but really 5:30 DST. Turned over and went back to sleep until 7:30, when I had to get up for church.

I worked on my last two dresses for my play yesterday. Got them almost complete. One needs a jacket, which I will be working on ini a few minutes, then I need to trim a pair of bloomers with lace and elastic, take in a pair of pJ bottoms, and then I think I'm done with my sewing for the play. I'm sure other things will come up throughout the week.

Can't wait to be done with it! Want to quilt, want to quilt, want to quilt! Quilting now would be my guilty pleasure.

It's a rainy ugly day here, so sewing in the basement is not going to be so hard to do, except that bed, blankets and naps are very appealing on a day like today!

quiltingtrish
March 10th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Hello all~
Great to see you here Blondie. It sounds like you listened (I know you HAD to) and it's good to hear you plan on baking today. The kitchen is not my thing so I try to stay out of it as much as I can.
I'll be staying home from dad's today. He called my sister to text me to say he has a cold and for me not to come down so he doesn't give it to me. She is going to take over some chicken soup later, that should help him feel better.
Wow -what do I do first? There are so many options of what to get accomplished today. I should make a list and go from there.
Not a lot to talk about today so - hope you all have a good one!
Hugs,

GrammaBabs
March 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hello all... Blondie.. great to see you back and "at em"...:)
Me,,, for one,,, WAY over slept... won't even admit to when we finally had our Sunday breakfast/brunch...:0
Blondie.. i for one would love to see you venture into a cookbook with some of the fabulous-sounding recipies you have, if you'd ever share... i'm guessing it would be a wonderful book... i for one, would LOVE to purchase it.... Lemon Merinque,,, Mr. Bill's favorite... we here like the "standard" basics/home cooked items and i'm guessing your mind is just full of them.. do give this some thought....print em' out and mail them, or make it a download.. with your beautiful face on the cover..."just a thought"...:)

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Lemon meringue pie - one of my very, very favorite. Buttermilk pie, YUM. Raisin cream pie, double YUM. Coconut cream pie . . . my all-time favorite (unless you throw in Sho-fly pie, or Apple-pan-dowdy . . . oh, then RHUBARB . . . without strawberries, please . . . and don't forget the GOOSEBERRY pie . . . oh, I am craving pies).

About 12 years ago Mom and I took a long day trip close to the Iowa border - I was meeting with a log-home builder trying to find someone to build a custom home for me . . . but I digress . . . we stopped in a little town in NW Missouri (which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent), and had lunch. While enjoying a wonderful cheeseburger, we observed the only waitress serving other patrons the most amazing COCONUT CREAM PIE . . . Yes, that's my very favorite and was Mom's favorite, too. Of course we were stuffed, but we decided the cheeseburgers could easily give way to the COCONUT CREAM PIE . . . and so we each ordered a piece. Our mouths were watering.

Our gorgeous pieces of pie were delivered and we were amazed at the height of the meringue and the toasted coconut on top . . . and then we each took a bite, We quickly finished our CHEESEBURGERS and left the unfinished pie, paid our check and left.

The absolute WORST, a disgrace to any cook, YUCKO coconut cream pie - the pudding filling was like over-thickened flour gravy. WHEW. Stinko.

I'm up!!

Claire Hallman
March 10th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Oh my! I have never had a bad pie.:D There is a restaurant in a rural Alabama town that has a real reputation for their pies and teaching kids the restaurant business. I have never eaten there but always wanted to. Maybe one day....
The only pie for me today is pizza pie and I am looking forward to it.

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Blondie made me so hungry I went searching. Had about 5 pints of homegrown raspberries in the freezer. Wallah!!! Raspberry cobbler waiting for after dinner . . . even sent Al to get some vanilla ice cream.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuVrEOXwkE1pnzCQ-8phff-bS7tfj7qxaMQIds4OLrSvvFCDD- (http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/how-to-make-cobblers-00412000067654/page7.html)

Which brings up a good question for discussion - do you use a thicker pie dough and crust both bottom and top, or do you use a biscuit dough and just dollop it on - no crust on the bottom? What makes a cobbler for you???

K. McEuen
March 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I do the cuppa, cuppa, cuppa recipe and usually do 1 & 1/2 times

cup of flour, cup of sugar, cup of milk, 2 tsp. baking powder. Mix and pour over your fruit of choice that is in a 13 x 9" pan with a melted stick of butter. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

It thickens the juice and rises to form a crust.