PDA

View Full Version : A question for our Missouri-living people

Wwena
March 10th, 2013, 05:40 AM
My absolute favourite author is Laurell K Hamilton, who lives in St. Louis. She writes urban fantasy / horror books and her most famous heroines are Anita Blake and Merry Gentry. I was curious to find out how she is viewed in her home state? :)

Mpyles
March 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I have never read her...

Jean Sewing Machine
March 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Sorry to say, I have not heard of her or read any of her work. What are some of the titles of books she's written? Is she a living author?

Bubby
March 10th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I also have never heard of her...sorry.

Blondie
March 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I believe my DD has read one of her of her Anita Blake series? I haven't taken time to read any that she has offered to share with me.

Wwena
March 10th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Well she isn't for everyone, that is for sure. The books are very explicit (violent) but I like that, it probably comes from reading too much Stephen King growing up. ;)

If you don't recognise the name Anita Blake, chances are you haven't read her books. :) (Anita Blake is an animator, vampire hunter etc, and as cheesy as that sounds the books are very un-cheeesy).

She still writes books!

auntiemern
March 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hmmm. Never heard of her either. Will have to check her out though, cuz I too like those kind of books. I loved Anne Rice's the Vampire Chronicles.

kelliedi
March 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
hate to say that i have never heard of her... and probably wouldn't read her either cause that type of book is not my cup of tea....

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Never heard of her either - not my cuppa either.

Wwena
March 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hmmm. Never heard of her either. Will have to check her out though, cuz I too like those kind of books. I loved Anne Rice's the Vampire Chronicles.

If you liked Anne Rice, then I highly reommend Laurell K Hamilton. I went from Rice to Hamilton and it was the right road for me! Just start with the first Anita Blake book though, there's a progression in the books you won't want to jump. :)

Lindagie
March 10th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Never heard of her either. I read the Witching Hour by Anne Rice; it kept my interest, but the end gave me nightmares. Now I find out it is just the first of a series of the witches books. Not sure I want to read the rest of the series, but I might, just hoping for a better ending to the story. I will have to check out this author though.

laf512
March 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I've never heard of her either, but I also do not read those type of books.

Wwena
March 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Never heard of her either. I read the Witching Hour by Anne Rice; it kept my interest, but the end gave me nightmares. Now I find out it is just the first of a series of the witches books. Not sure I want to read the rest of the series, but I might, just hoping for a better ending to the story. I will have to check out this author though.

I loved that book :) She has written several more in that line and even tied it to the vampire line. Some of it gave me the creeps too but I often like that in a book, provided it stays on the right side of some line in my mind... ;)

MayinJerset
March 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I have never heard of her before and usually don't reat this type of book but I thought the same before I got hooked on seeing Angel TV reruns. Will take a look for her books next time I'm at the library.

kensington
March 11th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I don't read or watch horror. Sorry. LOL. Which is probably why I haven't heard of her. I find myself embarrassed there is a famous author from Mo, and I haven't heard of her. I will research her just to find out who she is.

Lindagie
March 11th, 2013, 09:23 PM
"I loved that book She has written several more in that line and even tied it to the vampire line. Some of it gave me the creeps too but I often like that in a book, provided it stays on the right side of some line in my mind..."

Wwena; the end of that book went on the wrong side of the line for me. I had nightmares after that one. I am curious enough to want to read the rest of the series though. I can only hope it ends well! :icon_scared::icon_eek:

Wwena
March 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
One can never be sure with Anne Rice, she's a dark one! :) I prefer Ms Hamilton, she usually has an ending I can live with.