PDA

View Full Version : I found out tonight that I have been poisoning my family.

Lisapc
March 10th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I have used microwave popcorn ever since I can remember. I think I was 10 when my parents got our first microwave and that was when it started. Recently I have been having discussions with my husband about the amount of it we use. I go through at least a box a week and I don't eat that often but both hubby and son do.

My dogs don't like popcorn. I verbally wish they did a lot because the kids spill it and they could just clean it up. Anyway, tonight my son and I made a huge bowl of air popped popcorn. Not only was it delicious with just a touch of sea salt and melted butter. I used a 1/4 stick of butter for 2/3 cup un-popped kernels.

Well not only did my dogs sit staring at us but we got the paw on the knee, chin on our arm and finally howling for popcorn.

My dogs won't eat anything bad and I am lucky for that. It turns out all those studies I have seen recently are right and microwave popcorn is bad. I have been poisoning my family.

No more microwave popcorn in my house!

So now I wonder what else I have been doing with my microwave that is hurting us.

shannonsaulter
March 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I like air popped to the smell isn't as strong..smart pups..

ilive2craft2
March 10th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Our dog will eat any variety of popcorn, but I have to admit, we do not make microwave popcorn very often. I usually get out the pan, instead - it tastes so much better! Then for Christmas, I got one of those old fashioned cart looking popcorn poppers. It is so much fun to watch it!

I think we probably do more harm to ourselves with the amount of preservatives and salt and sugar that we eat, than any harm from a microwave...but that is just my 2 cents...

GuitarGramma
March 10th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I don't think it's the microwave that was the problem for your dogs. I think it was more likely the ersatz, phony butter substitute they put in the package with the kernels.

The more they research, the more they find that real butter is better. Julia Child was right all along!

Wwena
March 10th, 2013, 05:36 AM
I think Toni is right! Also, at least in the ones we get over here, the fat used is palm tree oil, which is not a good fat by any standard. I make our popcorn the old fashioned way, in a saucepan (a big one that we only use for popcorn) on the stove, in rapeseed oil and I only need to add salt after.

There has been a lot of discussion about additives in food the last few years, some areguments are really good and others are really exaggerated. I try to stay away from food that has really long ingredients lists, especially heavily processed food. I don't think most additives are bad in themselves, some are probably good for us in that the food keeps a bit longer. But I think that bad produce is used and then it's "hotted up" with taste enhancers, colouring etc and I'd rather buy food that don't need all that.

Renate
March 10th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Dear Lisa,

I have a good idea for your microwave: use it as a shoe cabinet, but not for preparing food :-). Our body can handle "Normal" cooked food much better than the one which went through a microwave.

Your dogs have a good feeling

rebeccas-sewing
March 10th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joe and I use a microwave popcorn bowl. We put 1/3 cup of kernels in with 1 TBS. of oil and some salt. Microwave 3 minutes or more and voila, a healthier choice to munch on. We don't add any butter at all. We've gotten very used to eating it this way and don't we don't even miss the butter. The big drawback is the salt but it's tasteless without it. For those who love buttered popcorn this would probably be a difficult adjustment to make. I guess 1 or 2 Tbs. of butter instead of the oil is certainly better than those pre-packaged boxes.