PDA

View Full Version : Just a little Kvetching

Meli
March 10th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Backstory: DH is his ex-wife's best friend. The three of us get along really well. We share holidays and family events together. She lives within walking distance.

My oldest stepson is being released from active duty in the army on 4/18, 2 days after his 23rd birthday. He's stationed in Ft. Drum, NY. DH and stepson's mom are planning to fly out and help him drive back. They are planning to stop in Palmyra, NY, St Louis, MO, Nauvoo, IL, Council Bluffs, NE. These are ALL places I want to go, have wanted to go for years. Except for St. Louis, they're all important places in Mormon history. And St. Louis is where my g-g-grandparents settled when they arrived from Germany.

I am glad we can afford for DH to go, and I KNOW this will be an incredible experience for him, and a great opportunity to spend important time with his kid. And it will always be important for the kids to spend time with BOTH their parents, and to know that they never have to choose between the two.

I am excited for DH. But I am SO jealous that I'm not able to go with them.

janluna
March 10th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Meli, I am 15 minutes from Hill Cumorah I spelled it wrong, sorry. The Pageant during the summer is really something to see. I've been there quite a few times. You should try and make it then. Or ask to be in it. However, I think if you ever visit at that time of year, I suggest you call ahead for a room because every Hotel/Motel in a 50 mile radius is booked. It is lovely there.

Lisapc
March 10th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Meli:

You are a saint. If he were going by himself with his child I would be jealous but keep it to myself. Going with the ex no matter how ex or how secure I was I would not have it. A trip I am dying for he takes with her. You are truly a saint. I just couldn't do it.

I hope your step children and husband really appreciate you.

bkthomas
March 10th, 2013, 04:13 AM
I will be put out for you - with you!!!! (((((Meli)))))

Mchelem
March 10th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Meli:

You are a saint. If he were going by himself with his child I would be jealous but keep it to myself. Going with the ex no matter how ex or how secure I was I would not have it. A trip I am dying for he takes with her. You are truly a saint. I just couldn't do it.

This exactly.

Meli
March 10th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Lisa,

I told him not to forget which wife he's with! :D
I am beyond grateful for the blessing of getting along with her. It took awhile for us to get to this point. DH and his ex weren't on speaking terms when he and I met. After we got married, we all knew we wanted the kids to be happy, and to have continuity between homes. To do that, we had to communicate. It doesn't always go smoothly, but we're family.

For what it's worth, when son graduated from basic training, he wanted us to come out for his graduation. He was at Fort Benning, which is 65 miles away from my home town. To be there, DH and ex were going to leave on my birthday. I let him know in no uncertain terms that there was no way in hell he was going to MY home state on MY birthday without me. The three of us had a blast.

I'm just whining today because their trip sounds like so much fun. I'll make him take me later. Especially to Nauvoo and St. Louis.

Meli:

bkthomas
March 10th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Meli:

Technically she is a Latter Day Saint! HaHaHaHa, I crack me up!!!!

Meli
March 10th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Jan, you spelled it right. We have a pageant here in Manti, UT that is similar. It's a lot of fun to go to. And I don't need to worry about finding a hotel room: The in-laws live 10 miles away!

Meli, I am 15 minutes from Hill Cumorah I spelled it wrong, sorry. The Pageant during the summer is really something to see. I've been there quite a few times. You should try and make it then. Or ask to be in it. However, I think if you ever visit at that time of year, I suggest you call ahead for a room because every Hotel/Motel in a 50 mile radius is booked. It is lovely there.

Meli
March 10th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Technically she is a Latter Day Saint! HaHaHaHa, I crack me up!!!!
Mormon humor. I love it! Kathy, you're cracking me up!!!

bkthomas
March 10th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Well, aside from Sandy N. I am the funniest thing I know!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 10th, 2013, 08:10 AM
We took a road trip in 1987 and ended up in Navoo during pageant week. Not being Mormon, we were unaware of the significance of the town and the pageant. We saw it and it was very well done. And luckily we found a hotel room for the night. Very interesting place to visit. I hope you get to visit it some day.

Monique
March 10th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Is there just no way you can go?

Meli
March 10th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Monique, we could squeeze it into the budget, I'm sure. However, there wouldn't be room in stepson's little car. He's shipping most of his things home, but there are some things that he will be putting in the car and taking with him. Between that and his parents' luggage, there's no room to squeeze another body into.

DH will make it up to me. We'll get our RV up and running in the next few months, and I'll make him take me on several road trips throughout the summer and fall. I foresee Arches Nat'l Park, Kodachrome Basin, and possible Island Park, ID in my future.

Is there just no way you can go?

auntiemern
March 10th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Actually a few years back, a spectacular Mormon temple was built in St. Louis. They had it open to the general public for about a month and then closed it to the rest of us. I never went to see it, but heard it is stunning.

Claire Hallman
March 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I foresee Arches Nat'l Park, Kodachrome Basin, and possible Island Park, ID in my future.

If you make it to Arches be sure to go to Canyonlands, too, they are not far apart and so very different. We loved them both last Summer when we went. You could very easily do them both the same day.

Meli
March 11th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Clair, went there a few years back. Wish I'd had more time to really explore. And anyone reading this who comes to Utah and decides to see Canyonlands and Arches (they're practically across the street from each other), do Canyonlands first. There are so many beautiful things to see, but they're hidden gems. Arches, every time you turn a corner there's an "Oh, Wow!" moment.