PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed?

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2013, 01:43 AM
If I stay up beyond 10 o'clock at night the house is quiet, I have time to straighten things up a bit. I can think. My head doesn't hurt. No one is screaming. No one is fighting. Zoe isn't trying to get Agnes to leave her alone? And even Al is snuggled into bed with visions of sugar plums . . . (maybe at his age it's prunes).

lilmouse
March 10th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Same here, the only noisemakers that I have are Sassi (the dog) and Dakota (the parrot) and she can make enough noise for three kids when she gets going....and she will go for hours!

janluna
March 10th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I love it when everyone else is asleep. I can read into the night, with no phone, no TV, and no one calling our business line. I can relax and somewhere around 3A.M. I can finally go to sleep. Or stay up, if I choose. The only bad thing is, I could sew, except if I turn on the light by my machine, the birds start screeching! They don't like being disturbed when they are sleeping. LOLOL

KathieB
March 10th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I love my quiet time- always have! Now that I'm retired and DMIL is in the livingroom chair from 8:30 AM - to around 11:30 PM everyday, I find I'm staying up later than ever before and sleeping in later than I like. I love that I don't have to stop what I'm doing to prepare meals, no one is watching what I'm doing and I can turn the volume on the TV way down or even off. The night is mine!

kelliedi
March 10th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Even with three kids in the house i have always insisted that they go to their rooms by 9.00. If they stay up and can't get up the next morning that is on them. If they stay up and do something it has to be unplugged that way i can watch any of my DVRed showes that might be to adult for them and peace and quiet too.... it is wonderful!!!!!! and they wonder why I take a power nap between 4-430 everyday. It is because I stay up until midnight,1, or 2. It is also a good time to order the DD from here and that way they don't see it ...win, win situation....

Lisapc
March 10th, 2013, 02:16 AM
I stay up for the piece and quiet as well. I have no reason to do this anymore and really need my sleep but I just got into that habit as a teen and never got out of it.

I would love to get into the habit of being asleep before 11 pm and up and out to the veggie garden early for the summer. I really don't like the heat and it would really be wonderful to get out there before 7 am and done what I want and then have the whole day with the kids and the dogs and the AC that is going in my sewing room.

dwil23
March 10th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I love it when everyone else is asleep. I can read into the night, with no phone, no TV, and no one calling our business line. I can relax and somewhere around 3A.M. I can finally go to sleep. Or stay up, if I choose. The only bad thing is, I could sew, except if I turn on the light by my machine, the birds start screeching! They don't like being disturbed when they are sleeping. LOLOL

I think I would use that machine to make quilted birdcage covers to keep the light out of their little bird eyes!:D

I guess I'm getting old - I used to love to stay up late, now if I'm not at work, I'm asleep before everyone else.

auntiemern
March 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Completely understand. I REQUIRE time alone and quiet. If I don't get it the luny tic in me appears at random times, lol.

MRoy
March 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I don't stay up really late because DH gets up really early (between 4:30 and 5 am) and makes enough noise to wake the dead. I have to get my zzzz's in when he's quiet too.

Suzyq
March 11th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Ha! Some great posts here and I can relate with it being after 3:30 am now...the house is quiet. DH softly snoring, our three fur babies down for the count. What joy! DH loves to chat and sometimes I just need quiet time. If I could only get up early...I did for a few months including last summer when I loved sitting on our back deck with my coffee and wrapped in my housecoat, watched some lovely sunrises. I just love quiet mornings, me and the kitties tog... We all need peace and quiet in our lives.

Renate
March 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I completly agree. Therefor I often get up really early, about 5 am or something. Then I have the feeling in all that quietness, the young day anly belongs to me. I try to make not any noise, not desturbing the silence. I listen to the birds, having my coffee, thinking about the day that is befor me ... this are really moments of joy.

CrazyMtnLady
March 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM
My quiet time USE to be early morning. DH would sleep in and once TarButt and Gator went out and came back in, they would settle in and sleep too. I could be on the computer or read or whatever until DH woke up. Now he has been waking up early and I am not getting any ME time. :(

GuitarGramma
March 11th, 2013, 12:47 PM
As an adult, whenever I would get way behind on bills and other projects, I would stay up all night to catch up. This happened about once a month, and I loved the solitude and the spacey kind of concentration I could achieve.

When I hit forty, I had to start going to bed every night. Whew, did the eCheckbook ever get behind. But I still enjoyed the solitude of staying awake into the wee hours watching TV once a week or so.

When I hit fifty, I had to start going to bed ON TIME every night. But as an empty nester, I was enjoying wonderful solitude five days a week.

Then my sweet hubby changed jobs, and his new employer requires him to work from a home office. No solitude. Have to go to bed on time. We have our offices on separate floors, so you'd think I'd be OK, but I have to be quiet -- which doesn't come naturally to me at all.

Oh well, at least he has a job! So I get to keep my expensive hobby. Seems like a good trade.

Tanya D
March 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I never used to like being alone...then I had kids and now quiet time is much more appreciated. My kids are 12 and 17 so they don't need to be looked after all the time which allows for some "me" time.

I usually have a bath and read my book in the tub every night. Sometimes no one disturbs me and sometimes my 12 year daughter will come in and tell me all about her day and who said what, and who is being mean to who. Sometimes I get annoyed but then I think that the day will come when she won't be sitting on the seat of the toilet talking to me about everything, that she'll be out on her own and I won't be the one she tells everything to.

As for sewing, I tend to get going on a project and will sew well into the night. Or like today, I went home on my lunch hour and sewed some denim squares together while the house was quiet.

toggpine
March 11th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Sandy, this is the reason I meet Blondie here in the morning. She's just getting up when I'm going to bed!

The interruptions are just about non-existent after 10:30. Kids in bed, hubby is asleep in either the chair in front of the fire or the bed. For the most part, no one calls after 9. The kitchen is clean and I'm "off duty"! I plunk in an audiobook, turn the sound down low and sew! I have found that reading books with my ears is much safer while operating the sewing machine!
I've been a night owl for years. Early mornings are not really my thing. I have found that I can't quite make it as many days in a row staying up that late, as I could when I was younger. I try for midnight, and that seems to work out well.

I am glad to hear that you are working out some sort of a schedule for the house. I'm sure that has been a major adjustment on everyone's part!

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 12th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Amen to that sister. LOL

I enjoy when my husband goes to bed before for NUMEROUS amounts of reasons. I don't get a great deal of quiet because this is the time the cats start getting wound up and start chasing each other around the house. LOL

Completely understand. I REQUIRE time alone and quiet. If I don't get it the luny tic in me appears at random times, lol.