PDA

View Full Version : Update on Baby Rachel

cyndiofthevortex
March 9th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Some of you have expressed interest in DD Bethany's foster children. Her newest is Baby Rachel. She turned one year old today. Since she came to us about 4 weeks ago, she has learned not only to sit by herself but to sit herself up from a lying down position. Her head, which was flat in the back, is rounding out and her hair is growing in. She is smiling and laughing, eating and sleeping, just as a baby should. She is still unable to eat any solid food, and I mean baby food, without it coming back up, so that is a big concern. Even though she is only able to have formula, she is slowly gaining weight. I wish you could see her! She has beautiful brown skin, big brown eyes and curly brown hair. She has stolen our hearts. Jean made and sent me two quilts, one for a three year old and one for a baby. Rachel has claimed both of them! Hope that's okay, Jean! One she insists on sleeping with and one she loves to look at when she's sitting on the floor playing with toys. The lovely large pink-and-green one so captured her attention tonight she dropped her toy and just sat, shook herself a bit and banged her hands on the quilt. It was lovely to see. Such a change from the sad, thin baby we took into care a month ago. Please pray that she continues to grow and thrive here and that she will have a safe and happy future full of love and hope.

asta
March 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
She sounds like a true blessing to behold. Enjoy and bless your family for helping out.

pcbatiks
March 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Cyndi.......so good to hear that Rachel is thriving and happy with your family! Praying and wishing the very best for her!

Winniesfriend
March 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the update, its good to hear she is getting on well, she sounds adorable.

Blondie
March 9th, 2013, 10:20 PM
This is the bestest news I have read today. God bless y'all for your hearts and giving spirit.
Big hugs and smoochies!

Blondie

EsGrandma
March 9th, 2013, 10:34 PM
So happy that baby Rachel is doing so good with your loving care - she is truly blessed to be with you all!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 9th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks Cyndi, for sharing about baby Rachel! Her health and growing process obviously are doing well under Bethany's care! Glad she has taken to loving the quilts! That sure warms my heart to know I could help her in some small way.

bkthomas
March 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks Cyndi for letting us know all this good news - Bethany is a beacon and you are rays of sunshine!!!

.....and Jean, we all know what Jean is.....She is the Queen!

shannonsaulter
March 9th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cyndi that is wonderful! I bet it just warms your heart!

BellasQuilts
March 9th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Aw, smooch that baby for us.

auntiemern
March 9th, 2013, 11:00 PM
What wonderful news. Of course she is thriving under the care she is now getting. What a blessing for all involved. Her for getting such great foster parents, and all of you for giving so generously with your hearts.

New York Sue
March 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Cyndi, Thank You for restoring my faith in humanity, if only for a night.
It's been a rough couple of weeks.
(LA-LA- LA. La-La- La. la-la- la.......)

mom4him
March 9th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Sounds like she is right where she needs to be! When we fostered I would tell people,"Being a foster mom is the greatest, hardest job I have ever had."

God will bless you for opening your home and heart.

New York Sue
March 9th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Sounds like she is right where she needs to be! When we fostered I would tell people,"Being a foster mom is the greatest, hardest job I have ever had."

God will bless you for opening your home and heart.
AMEN, sister. AMEN.

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2013, 12:27 AM
It thrills me when I read stories like this. Cyndi, you truly raised a wonderful daughter. I am certain little Rachel will continue to thrive under her care. Blessings to the whole family who all have hearts bigger than a whale.

lilmouse
March 10th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks so much for the update and glad she is thriving under your daughters' care.....you do need to see why she isn't keeping food down though...that is not a good sign...the fact that she is slowly gaining weight is great! I bet she is just a little doll...give her hugs and kisses for me!

dwil23
March 10th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Such a heart warming story. I pray that all of you are Blessed beyond words and little Rachel finds a forever family that will love and care for her as she deserves.

rebeccas-sewing
March 10th, 2013, 06:20 AM
She is one lucky little girl to be in your care. Send pics when you have a chance.

Monique
March 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Brings tears to my eyes. Of course she will thrive with all this love she is getting, how could she not.

MayinJerset
March 10th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Such wonderful news, keep us updated and photos too. May

nana margaret
March 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM
She will thrive simply because of all the love and attention you as a family are giving her, surely every child's right, sadly not always the case. I'm so happy she found her way into your loving family.:)

Granny Judy
March 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
What wonderful news!! Bless you and yours for having the heart and time to do such amazing work with children. They are so innocent and deserving of all the love we can give...

Bubby
March 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Love works miracles...she sounds like a real sweetie.

cyndiofthevortex
March 10th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Our favorite Starling made a funny-faced little sock monkey for little Rachel. Isn't he the cutest thing? Thanks, Dee!

GuitarGramma
March 10th, 2013, 01:37 PM
God bless your daughter and you and every person in your families for giving this little girl such love and attention. Here in CA they've literally outlawed Christian foster parents from passing on their faith and values to their foster kids. I think it has an inhibiting effect on Christians becoming foster parents, so you get folks like a neighbor of mine who wanted to foster because, "the state gives you money." Direct quote! Or the gramma I met who spent a year trying to get her grandkids out of foster care into her own home; she succeeded and found that they'd been sexually abused by their foster father.

It restores my faith to know there are good women like your daughter helping these poor little ones.

cyndiofthevortex
March 10th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I can't post anything identifiable about baby Rachel, but here's a picture of her on Jean's quilt reaching for the cute sock monkey made for her by our own Dee, aka Musical Starling.

Kaytessa
March 10th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Everyone's words express what awesome things your family's love does. May God richly bless y'all daily.

Marmar
March 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Cyndi, OMG, she's adorable, love the name Rachel, how pretty! Blessings to you and family for rescuing this sweet little girl! (Oh, and Jean's quilt is awesome! and Dee's sock monkey too !!)

I have to say, though, when you said ("I can't post anything identifiable about baby Rachel"); I totally agree with this and (unfortunately) would remind our members to be really, really, really careful about posting personal information/pics of children whether it is here on this site, or any other, like FB, etc. There are some very creepy, deranged people out there, so just be careful, plz?

Mar

Jean Sewing Machine
March 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I can't post anything identifiable about baby Rachel, but here's a picture of her on Jean's quilt reaching for the cute sock monkey made for her by our own Dee, aka Musical Starling.
Precious baby! Thanks for sharing this picture! Give that little doll a special kiss from me!

kensington
March 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
That's a lovely quilt and adorable sock monkey! God Bless the children and those who rescue them. Keeping her in prayer.

buckeyequilter
March 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Glad to hear that she is doing well...and loves her new quilts :)

Lisapc
March 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Cyndi:

You and your family are doing God's work by caring for children that can't get that basic love and caring need from there own family. I had given up hope that there were any good foster parents out there until becoming acquainted with you and seeing the love you shower over them.

I worked with a woman who took in as many foster children as the state would allow and she did it as her income and saved the money so that when she retired and went back to her home country she could be rich. She wasn't abusive to the children but didn't love them or care for more than their basic needs and that is a form of abuse isn't it?

Now, I have a neighbor who had foster kids when we moved here 4 yrs ago. Her sister, my other neighbor told me she loved those kids and thank God for people like her. I never saw that. For 3 yrs I saw them do chores, babysitting for the sisters grandchildren and once they showed any kind of problem they disappeared to be very quickly replaced by another. A year ago she gave it up. Her sister told me that she was hurting so bad for money because she had always carried 3 foster children and made 3k a month because they were given $100 a day for a high risk child. Having one parent on drugs qualified them for that designation. I said, "I thought she was doing it to help kids". She then admitted it was an income source and the house had the room so why not. Well a few months ago she started back up taking kids in again. I feel so much for these kids but having someplace that is physically safe is better than nothing. That is a horrible truth of our times.

I am praying that Lil' Rachel gets to stay with your family as long as you all need each other.

Musical_Starling
March 11th, 2013, 06:23 AM

She's so sweet! Thanks for the picture :)

Cyndi, OMG, she's adorable, love the name Rachel, how pretty! Blessings to you and family for rescuing this sweet little girl! (Oh, and Jean's quilt is awesome! and Dee's sock monkey too !!)

I have to say, though, when you said ("I can't post anything identifiable about baby Rachel"); I totally agree with this and (unfortunately) would remind our members to be really, really, really careful about posting personal information/pics of children whether it is here on this site, or any other, like FB, etc. There are some very creepy, deranged people out there, so just be careful, plz?

Mar

I think of this all the time, even told my sister at one point that she should be careful of what she posts on Facebook regarding my nephew and was told I was paranoid. I just wouldn't want to see someone using those pictures of him for anything illegal or immoral. Just protective over my only nephew (and Godson) I suppose lol

I also have to comment on the stories of people becoming foster parents for financial gains. What is WRONG with people? Children are so impressionable, and they are called FOSTER parents because of the definition of the word foster:

affording, receiving, or sharing nurture or parental care though not related by blood or legal ties

Really makes you wonder about some people sometimes. Cyndi, please thank your daughter for us, because she is truly an angel on earth!

ilive2craft2
March 12th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Cyndi, thanks for the update on Rachel - it sounds like she is blossoming in the loving care she is receiving from your family. Thank you for all of the love and care you are giving to the foster children that have come into your lives. You are truly a blessing to those children. Hope you find out soon about the stomach issues and hopefully there will be a quick easy fix for it. I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers. Lisa

Wwena
March 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
That is the best news!! I can picture her. You are truly remarkable people for taking care of those children. :)

Tanya D
March 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM
So glad to hear she is thriving and doing better. Jean, that quilt is just beautiful...love the pinks and greens.