PDA

View Full Version : Super Sunday to you! 1/2/11

toggpine
January 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hello everybody!
I hope everyone is well and fully recovered after the New Year's Eve festivities, although it sounded like everybody here kept it pretty low key!
I have a bit of blog house keeping to do this morning and then I am free to sew all day! I want to add a "page" to my blog that lets me record some of my 2011 resolutions/goals. I figure that if I have someplace where you all can see them, then I have to be a bit more accountable. We'll see if shame/guilt can help make a difference!
School starts tomorrow for the pre-schooler! Whoo hoo! Thursday I leave for a 4 day "Girls Weekend" get-away! There will be 6 of us this year. The group dynamics could prove to be quite interesting. At least I know I'll get along with my sister! My husband will be in charge of the farm & family while I am off to Newport, OR. Isn't he sweet?
Off to sew!Take care!
Cathy

Lola2Ace
January 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Super Sunday to you!
I am cleaning out the extra bedroom, washing bed linens from our room--our comforter is in really sad shape, I bought a duvet cover for it, but it needs some mending 1st and I haven't quite decided the best way to do it, but I am determined to get it done today and in the duvet before bedtime. The edges of it are just plain worn thru and I have whipstitched it several times and there just isn't enough to do that again. I am thinking of just zigzagging the edges and calling it done. We have a ton of leftovers, so I have informed the family that I am not cooking. I am hoping to get at least of bit of sewing (other than mending the edges of the comforter) in as well. I have several WIP's that I would love to get finished up very soon, and I need a new lunch box for work and would love to make one from a tutorial I have seen, it would make a great project bag too, so there may be more than 1 of them in my near future!
Lola

quiltingtrish
January 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Have fun on your retreat Cathy. Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.
Sounds like a busy day, Lola with fixing that cover. I've had to sew my sofa (yes, my sofa) where the material has pulled away from itself and the stuffing was showing. I finally used some kind of strong, grayish cord to sew it shut with and so far it is staying longer than the previous sews.

No sewing today for me. Played a little catch-up with wash and some bill paying and now am heading down to Dad's. Katie wants to drive so pray for me. It's a 45 min. drive - thank goodness only about 15 minutes of it is 65 mph. The other 3/4 is 35 mph. Hope there isn't alot of traffic out there. The other day she pulled out in front of someone. She looked to the left - to the right - didn't look to the left again and when she pulled out, a car was just about there. Arrgghh! She wants her license now and I told her that 2 times on the highway was not enough yet. So, I do have to let her try. She is a smart girl, I'm just a very nervous nellie! Didn't have this trouble with the boys - DH taught them how to drive and took them out all the time. But since him and her don't get along that well, the teaching falls to me. I can hardly wait until she has a daughter to teach!

Have a great day everyone! The sun is shining (hope it is where you are) and looks like a glorious January day out there!

Hugs,

quiltingtrish
January 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Forgot to ask. Anyone know of any sites that sell wholecloth quilt tops that are preprinted? I found one site that seems to be pretty reputable called Christian Lane Quilters from Connecticut. I can get the top, batting, and backing and get it all basted together for around $200. I wouldn't be paying extra for the quilting cause I would do that myself obviously.
I could save the extra $100 if I would baste it myself, but this would be a queen size and can't see me crawling around the hardwood floors trying to get it totally flat. This way I could pick it up and start quilting as soon as it came in the mail.
What do you think?

Hugs,

middlesis1966
January 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Whew you all are wearing me out with all this activity, lol. Mine havent been that busy. Ive made it from the bedroom to the recliner, lol. That was at 8am and this is where Ive been since, lol. You all have a blast today and enjoy it. I finally got the dh to leave me for a bit. He has been so good to me but he needs a break. So I'm glad he made some plans and he just left for a bit. Take care all!

Paula

plix
January 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Paula, I'm with you! This is a lazy day for me too. :icon_razz:

Trish, here are 2 sites that sell wholecloth panels, patterns, etc:
http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Store_id=411&page_id=17
http://store.suzannesquilts.com/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Store_id=417&page_id=17

Cathy, if you have some spare time & enjoy beach combing, Newport is THE place to be. The glass
blowers all get together & make & then hide beautiful, decorative glass balls (fishing weights for nets)
all over the beach. Finder's keepers! :icon_woohoo: Really! Every year they hide lots of them: In 2010 they hid 2010, in 2009 they hid 2009 etc. :icon_happy: It's Newport's way of attracting tourists. It's fun to hunt for them if you like doing that sort of thing.

plix
January 2nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
oops! Trish, this is the site I meant to post:
http://www.anitasarts.com/benartex-wholecloth-quilts-c-48.html

janluna
January 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Trish Bing or google The Stencil Company. This lady has some beautiful whole cloth preprinted panels and quilt tops as big as queen and king size. That's all she sells and her prices are really good. She just moved from Buffalo, NY to PA. I'm not sure what town but maybe near you. She is a love. She opened the doors to us and showed us through. She mainly sells mail order. We found her products to be really well woven and her catalog has a lot of designs. If she is close to you and you call and ask to come in she will bring you in and show you her operations. I know you can find her on the net. Her prices are lower than anyone else I know. We had to have prepatterend whole cloth for our quilting class and we googled her and she was just terrific to us. Nice lady. She has a lot of different patterns. Hugs, Jan
Did I mention the prices. They were the best.

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I can hardly wait until she has a daughter to teach!

I taught our daughter - same reason. Funny how everyone who rides with her (other than ME) thinks she's such a wonderful driver. We turned her loose in Houston traffic when she was 16. I still have nightmares about that. I'll never forget the day she called me and said "I just rear-ended a Mercedes."

toggpine
January 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Plix: We will be doing some beach combing as long as the weather agrees. I am not too fond of polar expedition conditions for strolling on the beach! It is just a group of us that get together after the holidays to relax. We all bring some needle work to work on in the evenings. Most of them have yarn hobbies and last year I brought my sewing machine. I got a bunch of swap blocks done and rows for a quilt top. I don't think I'll drag the machine with me this year. I may take some cross stitch or some hand sewing if I can get the soft toys cut out. I had hoped to have some binding to work on, but I haven't gotten those quilts sent out for quilting yet. Budgets! Grrr!
We will be taking a tour of a glass shop and making our own glass floats. I was treated to one a few years ago as a birthday present. It was so fun to pick my own colors and actually twirl the glass myself! It hangs in my kitchen. I call her Glenda, after the good witch in the Wizard of Oz who arrives as a bubble. I am not sure if I will be able to afford one this trip, but it will be fun to watch the other ladies make theirs. I won't feel the need to make one if I find one!

Trish: I do not look forward to the day my daughter needs driving lessons. Although, by then she will have had a few years of tractor driving and hay picking driving under her belt!

I have made some progress on a knitting needle keeper for my sister today. I hope to have it done tonight. There are some modifications to the directions I will make, but that is just because I don't want to make a bajillion trips to the ironing board to press over an edge. So far it seems to be going together well. It is a free pattern from Connecting Threads. I'll give it a review and photo spread on the blog if I can't the the pics to upload here.

You all have a good evening!
Cathy

NM Lady
January 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
I feel like today was pretty productive. Finally got my BOM finished for block #4 of the American Beauty Quilt. It wasn't as hard as it looked, but it was intimidating just looking at it.

I taught both my children to drive. You learn really quick if you are a patient person and have nerves of steel when you have a teenager behind the wheel.

I'll never forget when my son called me and said "Mom, I'm stuck in the sand." When my husband and I got to him, he and his friend who was bird hunting with him decided that there was a dirt road instead of an easement. He had buried my blazer all the way up to the bumper in shifting sand. My husband was angry, I was laughing so hard that I was doubled over and the boys were just scared. We hooked on with a chain, put the pickup in four wheel drive and out it came after a few tries.

When he wasn't buried in the sand anymore, he said "I put it in 4 wheel drive" Like that would explain everything. Boy I miss those days.

Middlesis I'm glad you're feeling better.

Cathy, enjoy your trip.

Everyone, God bless and take care.

quiltingtrish
January 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'm back! Early at that. Dad is sick with a touch of the chills and not hungry. Tried to get him to eat something but he went to bed twice while I was there. I made sure he was warm enough and told him I expected to hear from him tomorrow or I would call him. Then stopped at my sisters house who will check on him tomorrow in person.
Katie did okay on the drive down, I only freaked out twice! Glad to know I'm not alone out there.

Thanks for the websites to check out for the wholecloth to everyone that listed some sites for me. I'll be checking in to them this week.

Well, better run to bed. Long day tomorrow with a meeting in the evening.

Hugs,