PDA

View Full Version : TIME CHANGE This Weekend!

GuitarGramma
March 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Well, it's my most hated weekend of the year -- we have to turn our clocks forward one hour. I am not an early riser by nature, and I have a really strong body clock, so this "get up an hour earlier" thing just knocks me for a loop.

Back in 2007, they made this dreaded time change hit even earlier saying that it would "save energy." Well, around my house, lights got turned on by DDs that stayed on all day. So much for "saving energy."

How do you all adjust to the time change?

shannonsaulter
March 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'm lucky working swing shift I won't get up late for work..but will have to make sure the rest of the house is up.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM
My most dreaded task is to change the clocks, especially one in my kitchen that I can't reach and once I take it down, I can't get it back up. I usually wait til some relative comes over and can't stand looking at the clock with the wrong time, and let them change the time! Good job for a son or son-in-law! It's the LEAST they can do for me!

SallyO'Sews
March 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Gotta' say, I'd prefer if we only "saved" daylight for 5 months a year, instead of 7!

Many years ago, our local high school football coach was known for grueling practices lasting until at least 6 o'clock in the evening. So some of the boys on the team were glad in October when we went off DST and it got quite dark by 5 or 5:30. Much to their chagrin, instead of ending the practices earlier, the coaching staff just drove their cars onto the field and used their headlights so the team would not miss any practice time.

They won the state championship that year, and one of them made it to the NFL, where he has won the Super Bowl and played in several Pro-Bowl games, so I guess it was worth it!

That said, I'd still rather they wait until after April 1 to start Daylight Savings Time.

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I don't usually have a problem adjusting....it just seems like that Sunday goes by quickly. We change the clocks as we go past them...so on that day some of the clocks will be an hour off - we generally have them all on the same time by the time we go to bed.

GuitarGramma
March 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
When we were on our honeymoon three decades ago, we showed up at church a half hour off. We couldn't figure out why it was taking so long for Mass to start until the priest made a joke about Daylight Savings Time. Knock ourselves upside the head -- we were honeymooners -- what did we know about a time change?!?

Because of that VERY clear memory, I can attest that Daylight Savings Time used to take place 5 or 6 weeks later than it does now. Every year on this weekend, I wonder why it is that politicians think they can legislate sunshine. Under the current plan, kids are walking to school in the dark!

Sharyn J
March 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM
My biggest problem is the over the stove microwave. The 1-2-3 buttons don't work anymore, so I have to wait until it's exactly 4-5-6 etc. to set the time and then I have to put the year 4000. LOL, maybe it's time for a new one!

Bubby
March 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM
The way we adjust to the time change is to 'just do it'...I don't know of any other way. It's Miss Molly in our house who has the most trouble...she must have a body clock like yours, Toni!

janluna
March 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM
The time change hits me hard too, Toni. Takes about 1 1/2 weeks to get back on an even keel. And Jean, I also have a kitchen clock that is hard to change. It chimes, so when it's 6:00 it gongs 7 times. Its so hard to put back up, I decided to leave it be. Sunday it will be the right time again. Drives my DH crazy, so I told him he could take it down and change it.
So far, I still hear 7 when it should be 6. LOL So we are good to go, on at least that clock.
Hugs, Jan L.

GuitarGramma
March 8th, 2013, 07:54 PM
The way we adjust to the time change is to 'just do it'...I don't know of any other way. It's Miss Molly in our house who has the most trouble...she must have a body clock like yours, Toni!

Poor Miss Molly. I guess it makes sense, she's a beloved pet and I was named after my father's favorite horse!

(He was a harness driver, so horses were super important.)

When I was in my power-baby years, I spent 13 out of 14 years either pregnant or nursing. No matter how little sleep I got, I had to wake up at the same time every morning. That's where my uber-precise body clock comes from. I think it was harder then also because we lived in Southern California and the light of day stays steadier the farther south you go. When our oldest moved back to San Diego, she called us after the first "Spring Forward" and said, "I can't adjust to the time change!" Once I explained that sunrise and sunset didn't change down there as much, she understood why she was having trouble.

Tell Miss Molly, please, that I empathize with her!

Lisapc
March 8th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I am not looking forward to this. I always seem to lose way more than just an hour. I am looking forward to not cooking on the grill in the dark.

alliek
March 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I too have a "strong body clock". This time change throws me for a loop for awhile. It's like jet lag except I haven't gone anywhere. I'm too old for this, why can't I stay in the time zone I'm in?

Jess1377
March 8th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Oh I hate this time to "spring ahead"... oh how I hate it.... I adjust like a can getting kicked down the road. I eventually stop bumping around and get the hang of it in the mean time you may want to invest in coffee bean stocks.

auntiemern
March 8th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Doesn't really affect me much. I go to bed when I want, and get up the same way, unless I have an appointment early in the AM.

CountryHut
March 9th, 2013, 01:01 AM
changing the time - breaks back memories - when I was a waitress - I had a elderly man I use to wait on all the time - he could never pull the little stem out on his watch to change the time - so I always changed the time for him . .
funny how you remember those little little things in life . . .

I don't have a problem with the time changing -- I go to bed and wake up when I feel the need

Mchelem
March 9th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I rather enjoy having more daylight hours. I don't like it when it gets dark at 5 pm!

dwil23
March 9th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Since I work Saturday nights, the time change doesn't really bother me. I don't think it did before, either. I can't for the life of me see how it saves any energy, though.

Carolyn23
March 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I LOVE Daylight Saving Time! I'm so excited to have another hour of light at the end of the day! And this means that summer is inching closer (she says , looking out the window at the backyard which has a half a foot of snow on it). It's only an hour of lost sleep and, shoot a pumpkin, I've lost more than that at night with a good book, tv show, or friends! Changing clocks can be a pain, but it's such a first world pain!

ilive2craft2
March 9th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I love the light later in the day - the opportunity to see some sunshine after work for more than an hour is fantastic. However, I am also not a morning person in any way shape or form and this always takes me a week or so to get back into the swing of things. I usually try to inch my way into the change before it happens - going to bed a half hour earlier and getting up a half hour earlier, but not this year. I tend to forget what time it is when I am spending time on the forum with you folks and I am a natural night owl, so I have been up way past my regular bed time, let alone going to bed early! Love you guys - you have no idea how much you all mean to me in the short time I have been on this forum!

Oh well, I will get used to it....guess I will go back on the coffee bandwagon, which I kicked when I had the bronchitis.... :)

Roxanne
March 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'm bumping this up so I don't forget:)