PDA

View Full Version : MSQC and Security

madampolo
March 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Many of you saw Jean's post regarding fabricdepot.com's security problem, and many received their letter regarding the hacking of their system. Since I am now gun shy, I asked Al about MSQC's security of its system. I received a response, and I feel really good about what he said. Here is his response.

"Hey Joyce, we take security really seriously. My approach to this is that we don't store any credit card information. When you type your information into the checkout page, we never take possession of it. We establish a secure connection to our credit card processor who takes the cc and charges it, then notifies us if the transaction was successful or not. That's the only data we get in regard to your credit card, that's it.

If someone were to break into our system, the only information at risk, which we still take very seriously mind you, is our customers email addresses. But even those are secured behind a 3 tiered firewall that is inaccessible from the outside.

Really sorry about your experience with fabricdepot, I've heard they are a great company to deal with and this is really unfortunate for them and you :/ My professional background, before mom got me involved in the quilt shop, was an Information Security analyst and then years of building tech companies, so this is really my wheelhouse."

I think we can all feel good about our credit card orders from MSQC!!

yeeehawterri
March 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
While I always hate having to type my card info in each time I order, that is preferable to the alternative of having to get a new card due to hackers! Yay for MSQC!

dwil23
March 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Good to know. TFS.

GinnyKNC
March 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM
This is great. The only thing to keep in mind is that the information is still only as secure as the credit card processor's system and we don't know who they are or anything about their systems. I've been in IT for over 30 years and trust me there are all kinds out there. We all need to be very careful and diligent with checking our statements. I have one card that is only used for online purchases and nothing else. It makes it easy to track for me and I can shut it down if I need to. My friends laugh at me because I've worked at three banks and I am here to tell you that this girl will never ever use Online Banking, Mobile Banking or Text Banking. I do appreciate that M* doesn't store the information though.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Glad you got the word right from Al as to how they handle orders. From the number of people who reported here about fraudulent charges, it seems the hackers are very busy at work trying to steal our money that we worked hard for. To all hackers, I say GET A REAL JOB!

WendyI
March 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Well that seems to be a much safer way to manage our CC's. Kudo's to M*QC! and kudo's to Fabricdepot for taking such good care of it's customers after the fact.

I personally choose to live life not worrying about this stuff and deal with it as it happens. If someone hacks into my stuff, all they'll find are full credit cards, an empty bank account and more debt than you can imagine! Some days I WISH someone WOULD steal my financial identity!!

CrazyMtnLady
March 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Great to hear! Thanks for asking Al about it.

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I do most of my on-line purchases through PayPal - I guess when I can do that I'm not putting my CC number out there to everyone I purchase from. Sometimes if a site doesn't accept PayPal - I go elsewhere.

Nothing is foolproof so I check my bank statements, credit card statement and credit rating, every so often...especially when I hear that someone I've done business with has been hacked.

GrammaBabs
March 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I use PP as well,,, but it's wonderful to know that M* is always covering their bases and striving to improve... this is why i tell anyone i meet... about YOU..so much positive experience, honesty and integrity... we thank you all for it!!!!!!!!!! GB

GuitarGramma
March 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I use PayPal, too. I feel bad about it because M*QC has to pay fees to PayPal, but I just feel safer on my side.

A long time ago (before I met Missouri Star Quilt Company), I got some fraudulent charges on a credit card. It was the card we used for my DD's cancer bills. I'd paid a lab with the CC and they asked for the security code in writing on the bill. I didn't feel good about that, and sure enough all of a sudden there were charges for $250 worth of Great America tickets. I was a bit miffed at my daughter for using the "medical"credit card for Great America and told her so. Ummmmm, she hadn't bought any tickets. I signed back in, and by then $3000 of Great America tickets had been purchased.

I know it's PC to hate them, but I'm still grateful to Chase Bank for handling the fraud so kindly and quickly. They even waived the $50 I was supposed to be responsible for.

BTW what does someone do with $3000 worth of Great America tickets? We suddenly noticed all the craigslist ads for "Discount Great America tickets." Nice little scam, eh?

Bubby
March 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Since our credit card number was hacked and abused, I only shop at places that have PayPal. M* offers PayPal as an option. Maybe this is a false sense of security, because if PayPal is ever hacked I'll be in huge trouble! I just pray this never happens. I use PP for the convenience of not having to enter my card info every time at M*. I am one of the unfortunate who got the letter from FabricDepot.

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Since our credit card number was hacked and abused, I only shop at places that have PayPal. M* offers PayPal as an option. Maybe this is a false sense of security, because if PayPal is ever hacked I'll be in huge trouble! I just pray this never happens. I use PP for the convenience of not having to enter my card info every time at M*. I am one of the unfortunate who got the letter from FabricDepot.

I'm the same way....and yeah if PayPal ever gets hacked I could be in huge trouble, as well.

Sewbee
March 8th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Bank of America has a "Shop Safe" program for their credit card users. Instead of ever giving out my actual credit card # for online purchases, Shop Safe lets me generate a "virtual" credit card number with its own expiration date and 3 digit security code. I decide what the maximum balance should be on that card and I also determine the expiration date, as short as 1 month or up to 12 months. I can generate a single Shop Safe card for a one-time purchase or as many Shop Safe cards as I need if I want to assign each card to a specific online vendor. If my Shop Safe card info was ever hacked (it never has been yet) they would only have access to whatever balance was left on that card, not my actual BOA credit limit. Plus BOA still prevents any loss to me at no more than $50.

So for example, I can generate a Shop Safe card that I use only for PayPal purchases. The Shop Safe card is secretly linked to my real Bank of America card, but no one I shop with sees my real card information. If I shop a lot at a specific vendor and my balance runs out, I can add more balance to the card. All of my online purchases show up on my real BOA card statement as if I had used the real card. I have used this system for years and it works great. I still sometimes get lazy and use a real credit card for online purchases but I always make sure it is an online vendor I have dealt with before and have full confidence in their security system.

RachelMichelle
March 8th, 2013, 02:27 PM
So that is why I know my debit card number by heart? lol. Glad to know that my info is safe with M*!

auntiemern
March 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
["I use PayPal, too. I feel bad about it because M*QC has to pay fees to PayPal, but I just feel safer on my side."]

Credit cards charge fees to to vendor as well, not just pay pal. That is why so many places have a minimum amount of purchase to use CC.

GuitarGramma
March 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM
["I use PayPal, too. I feel bad about it because M*QC has to pay fees to PayPal, but I just feel safer on my side."]

Credit cards charge fees to to vendor as well, not just pay pal. That is why so many places have a minimum amount of purchase to use CC.

That's a good point. There's a cost to online shopping no matter what.

I run the website for the man who played Superman on Broadway, and occasionally we sell his books. One fan was overseas, so we set up a Buy It Now with PayPal on eBay to make the currencies work. I was shocked at how much money was lost to fees. I ended up absorbing the loss since I'd told Superman a certain dollar amount. No one wants to disappoint Superman!