PDA

View Full Version : Colors...

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Sometimes my DH gets on my nerves *lol*.....anyways when I'm choosing colors for a quilt - he is all up in my face and likes the drab colors, earth tones and black. Well I can live with those for certain quilts (camo, civil war etc.).

But I am all about bright, happy colors. I'm getting ready to make a quilt for my DGD and I told him that I am going to use bright/light pretty colors and border it all in black, she likes black and purple so that will be what I use for the back. She is also a girly girl and likes girly colors. Well he thinks I should use batiks because they're cool - he said I shouldn't use neon colors....ummmm.....excuse me...she is 11 years old. I refuse to make my grand-daughters drab, dreary quilts.

He needs to stay out of my hobbies *haha*

*pushing my soapbox back under the table*

Lisapc
March 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM
When I was making my GD's quilt hubby kept walking by with "that look" on his face. He then admitted when it was done that he never thought it would look good with those bright colors. Wait until he sees the quilt I am making for him. I am using crackle. It not only has color but a design. They are not bright colors so he should be happy.

Why do they but in? Just there interest in us I guess.

Granny Judy
March 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Ya got his curiosity woke up with those Bright Colors.. This is what My grammy always told me. Men are like Cats..rouse their Curiosity and they have to put themselves in the middle of it all..

dwil23
March 8th, 2013, 11:06 AM
LOL! I used to call my now EXDH "FORD" - because he had the better idea -at least he thought so:icon_rolleyes: (Refering to the ads for Ford motor Co.).

Glad I don't have to deal with that any more.

I like what your granny said Judy!

WendyI
March 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I LOVE bright colours! There is a pic on the front of a quilting mag that I picked up this month...cannot for the life of me remember the name of it! But there is a quilt on the front I am DYING to make! Has bright blue with orange sashing...it's the actual quilting that makes it...Oh MAN I wish I could find the pic! I searched online but can't find it anywhere. I'll have to take a pic tonight.

And btw..I liked your soap box! LOL! My DH is thankfully quite helpful...I think I'd stuff him under the table with the soapbox if he annoyed me like that. LOL!

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Ya got his curiosity woke up with those Bright Colors.. This is what My grammy always told me. Men are like Cats..rouse their Curiosity and they have to put themselves in the middle of it all..

*lol* I don't know why they are like that.....I'm not curious about his hobbies, reloading bullets just doesn't do it for me or whatever else he does in his man cave.

Sandy Navas
March 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM
LOL! I used to call my now EXDH "FORD" - because he had the better idea -at least he thought so:icon_rolleyes: (Refering to the ads for Ford motor Co.).

Glad I don't have to deal with that any more.

I like what your granny said Judy!

http://media2.hpcwire.com/datanami/ford.jpg (http://www.datanami.com/datanami/2012-07-06/ford_looks_to_hadoop_innovative_analytics.html)
Found on road dead?

CrazyMtnLady
March 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
LOL.....my DH is the same way. He did not like the ducky quilt I made he thinks every thing should be camo or earth tones too.

auntiemern
March 8th, 2013, 01:38 PM
DH doesn't mind the bright colors, he just has a hard time with things not quite being all matchy, matchy. He can have his opinion of course, but has nothing to say about the final project.

GrammaBabs
March 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
hummmmmm,, i think this is the ONE dept. of my life that he doesn't say anythig about except... wow,,,who's that for????
Im a scrappy girl.. and he is thrilled to think i'm using up the "collection"...other than that,,,
He is "in my face 24/7... caring more than anyone could possibly tolerate other than me, cause' i know he's nervous that i might just "drop at any moment"...LOL and then he'd not get his home cooked meals and lunch served and have no one to take out for pizza with the gang, and for the life of him, he'd never know what in the world to do with the women that would be lining up at our door to "snap him up" if i died!!!! :)

SallyO'Sews
March 8th, 2013, 03:26 PM
My DH just smiles and nods and says "Very nice!" when I show him stuff I'm sewing.
In return, I ask him how his golf game was, and smile and nod while he tells me about it. I also wait until he's asleep in his chair before I ever so gently remove the remote control from his hand and navigate the TV away from the Golf Channel... :D

Jean Sewing Machine
March 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
hummmmmm,, i think this is the ONE dept. of my life that he doesn't say anythig about except... wow,,,who's that for????
Im a scrappy girl.. and he is thrilled to think i'm using up the "collection"...other than that,,,
He is "in my face 24/7... caring more than anyone could possibly tolerate other than me, cause' i know he's nervous that i might just "drop at any moment"...LOL and then he'd not get his home cooked meals and lunch served and have no one to take out for pizza with the gang, and for the life of him, he'd never know what in the world to do with the women that would be lining up at our door to "snap him up" if i died!!!! :) Way to go, Barb! Keep him on edge! Make sure he takes very good care of you!

GrammaBabs
March 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking this might be a New England thing???? what say Sally!!!
My DH just smiles and nods and says "Very nice!" when I show him stuff I'm sewing.
In return, I ask him how his golf game was, and smile and nod while he tells me about it. I also wait until he's asleep in his chair before I ever so gently remove the remote control from his hand and navigate the TV away from the Golf Channel... :D

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM

I don't dare ask my DH about his hobbies, work or anything I'm not really interested in.....I'll be the one sleeping in the chair (but sometimes I forget myself and ask him *zzzzzzzzzzzzz*).

GrammaBabs
March 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
As the kids say... Jean...."True that".....:lol:
He'll be going out to snow blow in a few minutes... i'll hit the quilt frame...
of course, you do realize here where we live,,, "THEY" do the plowing and shoveling"... but not the way he likes it...
a bit of a control freak Ya' Know".... heheheh
when he comes in i have homemade cranberry orange muffins.. for supper some pasta and MB from my freezer.... no wonder i don't lose any weight!!!!!!!
Way to go, Barb! Keep him on edge! Make sure he takes very good care of you!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I paid someone to snowplow my little postage stamp driveway a couple of weeks ago when we had our big snow, then the city snowplowed the street, and threw snow all up back into my driveway. Thanks for the help. I have one small pile of snow left in my front yard, and a few splotches of it on my deck, which gets no sun in winter. Hopefully that's the last I'll see of the white stuff.

And no hubs here to mess with my colors! Not that when I did have one around he messed with my colors, he was color blind!

Momofmonsters5
March 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
My DH is a control freak lol that's why he always gives. I do ask his opinion at times though and it's helpful!

GinnyKNC
March 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I love bright colors but I'm sometimes affraid of them lol. My DH told me when I bought the material for my DILs wall hanging that there was no way all those bright colors were going to work. Well my DIL is a bright cheery person and loves bright colors so I had to do it. He actually liked it when it was done :) I stay away from is '69 Chevelle and he usually stays away from my fabric choices. He hates batiks and they are my favorite LOL. He really is my better half though.

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I love batiks...but not for this quilt - I want those bright, girly colors to pop right out of the quilt :)

I am making a maple leaf quilt that is mostly batiks.

rebeccas-sewing
March 8th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Ask him if he'd like your input when he's working on his hobby? I bet I can guess what the answer to that would be. Haha!

nanaleslie
March 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM
LMAO!!!! Do you think your hubby would lend me his gun and a bullet for my DH? :D

*lol* I don't know why they are like that.....I'm not curious about his hobbies, reloading bullets just doesn't do it for me or whatever else he does in his man cave.

janluna
March 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
The only thing my DH has said to me is..."Why on Earth do you cut up all that fabric, just to sew it back together again?!!? And how come you use dots with stripes and flowers??? You wouldn't dress that way!!!" Too funny! I told him, "Why do you cut all that wood up to nail it back together again?" He said, "Oh, point taken." He has never said another word about quilting except..."that's pretty." Men, can't live with them, pass the beer nuts!
I love what your Grandmother said. So true, until you can divert them back to what ever it is they were doing. Or else, curiosity could kill the cat in question.Let me introduce myself... I'm Curiosity! Hugs, Jan L.

Tamara J Liddell
March 8th, 2013, 10:18 PM
http://media2.hpcwire.com/datanami/ford.jpg (http://www.datanami.com/datanami/2012-07-06/ford_looks_to_hadoop_innovative_analytics.html)
Found on road dead?

First on race day, then found on road dead.. ;-) lol