PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name?

CrazyMtnLady
March 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
After reading the Daily Deal story I had to laugh because my DH has a wonderful nephew who's name IS Bryron! LOL

It got me thinking...who are we all and how close do we relate to the meaning of our name. Here is a link to a sight where you can check out your name and them tell us...what is the meaning of your name and do you feel like you are what your name means.
http://www.babynology.com/search-babyname1.php?stw=Byron&Search=Search

I am:
Donna..........Lady....um only on certain days....
Louise..........Famous Warrior... I am not certain about this...I have never been a fighter really but I will if I am crossed.

so who are you?

ilive2craft2
March 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I am:
Lisa - Consecrated to God - baptized Catholic, now Lutheran and do have a firm belief in God
Ann - Gracious....that is so funny - my family calls me Grace, but it is because I am anything but graceful - picture bull in china shop :)

Tanya D
March 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Tanya - Fairy princess
Lynn - Waterfall, pretty

I suppose I'm a bit of a princess and I'd like to think of myself as pretty, most of the time, with some make up and hair products! LOL

mom4him
March 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM
My name is Sandra Janel
Sandra-- Defender/helper of man kind
Janel -- God is Gracious

I would say yes to both names. I have always been a care giver and seem to end up coming to the defense of ones that especially have been wronged. I also have a very deep belief that the God I serve is a good God, full of grace, mercy, and love.

alliek
March 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Well my name turned out to be "A friend of the elves" Hmm maybe that accounts for all those little voices I hear..........:0:icon_bigsmile:

Swedish leo
March 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I made a search both in english and swedish and this is what i found

American site

Marie, Bitter or sea of bitterness
Annika, Gracious,
Elisabeth, God is my oath

Swedish site

Marie, Spunky and/or defiant
Annika, Grace
Elisabeth, God is absolute

This was intresting.

buckeyequilter
March 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Shirley - bright meadow
Ann - gracious

'bout sums it up :D

K. McEuen
March 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Pure & Gracious.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Jean-God is gracious
Frances--free or French

.????

No meaning for Sewing Machine other than a machine that sews

PhantomReader
March 6th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Tanya - Fairy princess
Lynn - Waterfall, pretty

I suppose I'm a bit of a princess and I'd like to think of myself as pretty, most of the time, with some make up and hair products! LOL

I love the meanings of your name.

PhantomReader
March 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Laura (my legal name) - Crowned with laurels
Jean - God is gracious

Lisapc
March 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I am:
Lisa - Consecrated to God - baptized Catholic, now Lutheran and do have a firm belief in God
Ann - Gracious....that is so funny - my family calls me Grace, but it is because I am anything but graceful - picture bull in china shop :)

I am also Lisa Ann:

Lisa- I am a huge believer in God just not organized religion so much. I do have a church but I don't believe I am closer to God there than my own back yard.

Ann- Gracious- Oh yes, only until I am pushed to far. Then I will use every thing I can to crush you. I will do that gracefully though.

twnkeyes
March 6th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Terri - Late summer, harvester, ruler of people (my family would agree and some friends! LOL)
Lynne - Waterfall, pretty. I have no clue how those go together but the first is American, the latter is British, English and Spanish

Eliza
March 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Nerida - sea nymph (Greek) or water lily (Australian Aboriginal)
Elizabeth - God is my oath

lilmouse
March 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Here goes...doesn't make sense for me
Susan - Lily....doesn't describe me at all....I think of lily, I think graceful and elegant, I am neither...think bull in china shop / klutz and that is me
Marie - bitter and again I am not bitter about anything...I love life and try to live it as best I can!

madampolo
March 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joyce - Joy, joyful
Ann - Grace, Gracious

Well, considering how much I had to rip today, I am not too joyful at the time. Did I say that graciously?

Jess1377
March 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hehe, these are interesting and fun!

Jessica ~ He Sees, he beholds -Gods Grace - Foresighted - Rich (I'm not really sure what it means...)
Anne ~ Gracious or graceful (hmm...I do try to be gracious but am very far from graceful!)

I LOVE my sons name though! His first name means "follower of Christ" and middle name means "defender of man".

Iris Girl
March 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
ok I am

April....... second or to open - not second I am an only child
Dawn...... daybreak, awakening, sunrise - I am a morning person and usually beat the sun up

Winniesfriend
March 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM
My Name Leonie - Lioness
Karen - Pure

Just hear me roar ..... I dont think so, I am petty laid back.

Lonna
March 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Mine is Lonna Rue.
Lonna- solitary
Rue- famous

I fit that solitary part but sure not that famous part.

Tanya D
March 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
This is fun! Good idea to ask this question.

bkthomas
March 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Pure = Kathleen
Joy = Joy

CrazyMtnLady
March 6th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Really interesting to find out how we associate with our names. Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Sandy Navas
March 7th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Sandra: Helper and defender of mankind.
Jean: Gracious gift of God.

What i think of that:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xFy3DUJZYOg/TLOfQW1ZB9I/AAAAAAAAAUw/ef3nIy8DEhA/s1600/laughterpic.jpg (http://dailyspiritualtools.blogspot.com/2010/10/laughter.html)

phoots
March 7th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Here are the meanings of my names:

Pamela - Sweet
Gail - Lively

Usually fits.

Pam in Vegas

phoots
March 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I just looked up my BF's name meaning. I don't know how to take this. His first name means "Warlike."

Pam in Vegas

Sandy Navas
March 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I just looked up my BF's name meaning. I don't know how to take this. His first name means "Warlike."

Pam in Vegas

Some of these are truly scarey. Look at mine!!!

Yours definitely fits!

Musical_Starling
March 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM

Pam in Vegas

Your BF and The Giant must have the same name because his is "warlike" as well lol

Denise = God of Wine (I don't even like wine lol)

and my middle name doesn't exist as it's spelled. If I spell it with a C (the common spelling) it's "song". So I guess that part fits? lol

Funny note: my initials are DSL, and I'm a network technician :icon_giggle:

bkthomas
March 7th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Your BF and The Giant must have the same name because his is "warlike" as well lol

Denise = God of Wine (I don't even like wine lol)

and my middle name doesn't exist as it's spelled. If I spell it with a C (the common spelling) it's "song". So I guess that part fits? lol

Funny note: my initials are DSL, and I'm a network technician :icon_giggle:

That is funny.....and tell us your middle name please

Musical_Starling
March 7th, 2013, 03:28 AM
That is funny.....and tell us your middle name please

Aww, do I have to? I hate it lol It's Sharmaine (not the usual Charmaine). I'm the only child that was named after anyone, my Dad (Dennis) and my aunt's middle name. My other two sisters just have random names and aren't named after anyone and I got stuck with two lol

Evilynn
March 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I am Stefanie, the crowned one.

My husband is Juha, God is gracious. (Juha is the finnish variation of John) His second name is Antti, Men Warrior, his third name Henrik, House ruler (uhm... yea). In Finland there's a saying that a beloved kid has at least 3 names. That's why many finnish people have minimum 3 names.

My daugher is Janna Yinara Aava. Janna, God is gracious (again). Yinara is a name made up by me, I just liked the sound. Aava is a finnish name and means the open sea - but can also be seen a variation of Eva which means Life.

Nice list, thanks for sharing!

rebeccas-sewing
March 7th, 2013, 06:45 AM
WOW!!! Whoever wrote this must be gettin' some serious lovin' from a girl named Rebecca! Hahaha!

Truly beautiful, both inside and out. She laughs a lot and is always there for you, willing to listen and help. Rebecca is someone everyone likes from the beginning. You just have to look at her and you know she's an interesting and friendly person. She's very determined to make the best of her life and is charmingly competitive at certain things. She's great fun to be around and always makes you feel happy.
Rebecca is the best friend anyone could have. Once you get to know her you hope she'll be your friend forever.

Renate
March 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Surename
Renate = Reborn, born again

I don`t know if I had a life befor this one or if I have a life after this one. The only thing I know: I have to master this life I actually have and this is more than enough.

Family name:
Schoen = this means "beautiful", and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I can say: I feel beautiful inside

Lissau
March 7th, 2013, 09:07 AM
well my first name Lisa has already been mentioned but my middle name is "Maree" and its description is me to a tee

Maree and Beatriu are ladies with character: they are strong and self-assured whilst remaining undeniably feminine... Forthright and outspoken, they can also be rather aloof, with ice around the edges at times. Self-controlled as well as impulsive; they can be domineering and occasionally very hot-tempered. This duality is the reason for a certain amount of inner-conflict. Sensitive and touchy, they can be known to lose their cool if their ego feels threatened as they are somewhat unsure of themselves. This disconcerting tendency to bounce from one extreme to another in a matter of seconds can be observed in all spheres of their lives. For example, Maree and Beatriu are capable of living their lives with great discipline, scrupulous and focused for a length of time, then allow themselves to drift aimlessly into apathy and indifference. Shy and retiring one day, plucky and defiant the next. Depending on the moment, they can imitate the raving mad Virgo of the zodiac or the level-headed and unshakeable Scorpio... At the same time, these are women of great strength and courage who are extremely determined: once they have set their hearts and minds on something there is no point in trying to convince them otherwise, youŽll be wasting your breath! With them, anything is possible - anything and itŽs opposite that is. They are quite highly-strung and need to be active, and physical exercise can provide an excellent outlet for this excess nervous energy. Even as children they are prone to mood swings and loathe being told what to do. They can often be jealous, and are genuine but uncompromising and intense in their relationships with others. They will probably prefer building dens to playing with dolls, especially if they have a birthday on the 5th, 8th, 14th, 17th, 23rd or 26th of the month, if their life Path Number is equal to 5 or 8, or if they were born in May or August. Furthermore, and especially if they were born on the 4th, 7th, 13th, 16th, 22nd, 25th or 31st, or during the month of April or July, they are likely to experience significant setbacks and complexes. These are virtuous creatures and their parents should take care to ensure that they are conscious of their value, helping them to overcome their lack of self-confidence.

Bailey65
March 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Fannie- Free French woman

Louise-Famous Warrior

LOL!!!

Tamara J Liddell
March 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Tamara - Palm Tree
Jeannette - God is Gracious

Sandy Navas
March 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM
WOW!!! Whoever wrote this must be gettin' some serious lovin' from a girl named Rebecca! Hahaha!

Truly beautiful, both inside and out. She laughs a lot and is always there for you, willing to listen and help. Rebecca is someone everyone likes from the beginning. You just have to look at her and you know she's an interesting and friendly person. She's very determined to make the best of her life and is charmingly competitive at certain things. She's great fun to be around and always makes you feel happy.
Rebecca is the best friend anyone could have. Once you get to know her you hope she'll be your friend forever.

I have felt that way since the very first day I became acquainted with you.

ChristineB
March 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Christine: Meaning : Follower of Christ; More Information :Christine has evolved from the Latin word Christianus meaning a follower of Christ, in other words a Christian.
Ok, that fits.
Middle Name: Anne: Meaning : Gracious; More Information: St Anne was the mother of the Virgin Mary. There is no Biblical basis for this, though Anna is one of the people who meets the infant Jesus at the Temple of Jerusalem.

My husband: Ron: Meaning : Rules with good judgment; More Information : Ron is a panchayat town in Gadag district in the Indian state of Karnataka. It is called Dronapur in ancient times. There are temples built by ancient architect Dronacharya.
Ok, we'll, the "meaning" make sense.

Cool website. Thanks for sharing!