PDA

View Full Version : This quilt hates me!

RiverMomm
March 6th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I wanted to make a quick and easy quilt for a lady in need of a quilt hug. I needed to get it in the mail on Monday. Needless to say, that didn't happen. For some reason, the backing is tucking. I am not sure why. I have ripped and redone several times.

I have made this type of quilt several times and have never had such problems. But this time, I did several small changes. None should have made this quilt hate me but I guess all combined made it a perfect storm.

I am doing echo stitching and as you can see, not doing a great job. Well, the first couple times, it was pretty good but my stitching is getting worse as time ticks by. Oh, and I just ran out of purple thread that I am using in the bobbin or the back of the quilt. Ggggrrrr.
This is the quilt rolled so you can see the back and the front. Darn those tucks!!!

I should know better. I should know to have more than enough thread or use a thread that can be changed out easily. Light purple is rather distinct. I bought rather inexpensive solid colored fabric for the backing. It was $8 a meter which is cheap for Canada. I know, I know but it was just the right color. AND finally, I won't put a deadline on making it because we all know that quilts hate deadlines.

Next time, I will make sure I have enough thread, use a print for the backing (man, this solid light purple shows every mistake), do SITD and not echo and not get inexpensive material for the backing.

But there is a bright side. I do like the colors of this quilt. I will probably keep it for myself because I don't mind a few tucks here and there. AND the bright silver lining is Jean the Jelly Roll Queen is coming to my rescue and giving one of HER quilts to the lady in need of a quilt hug. ((((((((Jean))))))))) you are my hero!

PhantomReader
March 6th, 2013, 12:33 AM
First, Jean is da bomb!

Second, I love the colors in your quilt. Maybe with thisnquilt, you've used up all the bad quilt mojo and from now on it will be smooth sailing!

shannonsaulter
March 6th, 2013, 12:38 AM
it a beauty! I had my 1st one do that but gave it away anyway I knew the person would not be picky about a lil tucking..

mom4him
March 6th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Your quilt is gorgeous! I have not done enough machine quilting yet to be a judge of the back. I never thought about a plan fabric showing the imperfections worse. That is what I have on the quilt I am doing for my oldest daughter and for sure it shows it all. Need to remember this.

auntiemern
March 6th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I love it, regardless of the boo boos. Sounds about right for our amazing Jean Jean the JR Queen. She is just like that :)

K. McEuen
March 6th, 2013, 01:34 AM
The top is very pretty. I agree SITD is a pain in the posterior. Definitely not my choice of quilting stitches. Not had too much of a problem with echo quilting. That purple fabric almost looks like it's trying to gather on your stitching lines, was it 100% cotton?

meemeecyn
March 6th, 2013, 01:35 AM
It was meant to be yours, that's all! Love the purple combination! Jean is such a good lady......definitely is our Jelly Roll Queen!!

ilive2craft2
March 6th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Pretty quilt - I love Me & My Sisters! I have had the same issues on even smaller projects, so now I am lusting after some kind of frame system.... Jean is wonderful! This forum is full of the nicest people! Lisa

Winniesfriend
March 6th, 2013, 01:40 AM
It was meant to be yours, I love the fabric you have used.

kensington
March 6th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Your quilt is very pretty. You have a good eye.

Marmar
March 6th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Pretty colors, love the lilac/lavender shades. Jean is such a sweetheart to help you out!

I have also had the puckering issues when I only pinned. I have not had this issue when using the basting spray and have quickly become a convert to it. Yay ! No more pinning!

Lisapc
March 6th, 2013, 02:56 AM
I was going to suggest that maybe you are having trouble because Jean is supposed to connect with this woman who has no one and is by herself. Jean is willing and thank God able to help. I am glad you took her up on her offer.

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

shorte85
March 6th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Very pretty! Love the purple colors, wish it was my quilt pin tucking or not. lol :)

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I was going to suggest that maybe you are having trouble because Jean is supposed to connect with this woman who has no one and is by herself. Jean is willing and thank God able to help. I am glad you took her up on her offer.

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous!Now that's a possibility!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM
I owe RiverMomm Vicky BIG TIME for all the work she did posting my YouTube Videos. I'll just trade the quilt I was going to send her and give it to her friend! Then she doesn't have to rip if she doesn't want to! And she can keep the pretty purple for herself!

Diva Deb
March 6th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I love your quilt. The fabrics are gorgeous so who cares about a few tucks?

But I wondered if the tucks might be due to your feed dogs not feeding properly. One thing you might want to do is clean out your sewing machine. Jenny has a tutorial on cleaning your machine and even though, I'm rather OCD about keeping my machine clean, I wasn't cleaning the feed dogs because I didn't know to do so until I saw Jenny's video. (Yeah, I know...I'm a dummy!) :)

Evilynn
March 6th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Is that from the "good morning" collection? Those are fabulous fabrics, I LOVE those colours! Perhaps when you're done you can gift it for the lady in need of a "quilt hug" also :) So she has 2 amazing quilts! Would that be an idea? :) Btw I like how generous both of you, Jean, and you! are!

rebeccas-sewing
March 6th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Love the purples and lavenders. It's definitely one of the prettiest JR quilts I've seen. I just don't understand why you had so much trouble with it. Did you tape down the backing on a hard surface before you applied the batting and the top to make sure it laid flat? Did you spray baste or pin? Either one should work if you've taken the time to make sure everyone is lying flat. Did you use a walking foot and increase your stitch length? When I quilt I always have the stitch length at 3.5 or above. What type of batting did you use? I find the better quality batting is easier to work with. I've had some poly batts that were a nightmare to tame. Don't you wish those darned long-arm machines weren't so expensive. I keep drooling over them but just can't justify spending the bucks!

nana margaret
March 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Your quilt is so, so pretty, I absolutely love it and wouldn't want to part with it. Exactly the same thing happened to me on a small quilt and I think it was different quality backing fabric which caused the problem. That is so generous of Jean to donate one of her quilts, a hero indeed! :icon_bigsmile:

Monique
March 6th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I don't care, your quilt is beautiful, tucks and all. It gives it character. And Jean is a very generous person. :)

Bubby
March 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
It's a lovely quilt. You have outlined what you need to do next time. How sweet of Jean to help you with this one....way to go, Jean!!

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM
It's so pretty! I'm loving purples lately. I just some purple flowers at the market!

buckeyequilter
March 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Your quilt is so pretty, I love purple.

Isn't that the way it goes...you make a quilt for yourself and nothing goes wrong but as soon as you make one for someone else, especially if you have a deadline, and everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Jess1377
March 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Well that quilt top is just beautiful, so I understand why you want to finish it! And how sweet is Jean for doing that?!?

dwil23
March 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM
That Jean is one sweet lady! And your quilt is beautiful...

As for tucking on the back, have you tried starching your backing? I mean really starching it until it is stiff?
(KNOCK ON WOOD) (KNOCK) (KNOCK) (KNOCK)
Since I started starching my backing and then using spray basting on all three layers, I have not had a single tuck happen.

EnumclawGramma
March 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Your quilt is really pretty! It helps that it's all my favorite colors and prints. I feel your frustration, but am again amazed at the giving hearts on this forum!!! Jean is a blessing to us all. My Mama would say she's piling up jewels in her crown!

CrazyMtnLady
March 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Your quilt is beautiful and as for the tucks, I always say each tuck you find is filled with love! Besides the tucks are on the back and who looks that close at the back of a quilt!
Jean is a sweetheart for sure!

laf512
March 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Sorry your quilt is giving you problems, but it really is beautiful. How nice of Jean to help you out!

GinnyKNC
March 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
This is soooo pretty. I love the fabrics and colors. For me basting spray works wonderful, being fairly new to quilting I don't have the talent to just pin yet.

Roxanne
March 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM
That is the prettiest jelly roll quilt I have seen yet. Just stunning. Did you use basting spray? I find that really helps. I prefer 505. I was having trouble finding it without mail order so I bought some Dritz but I have to say it just isn't the same. While we are on the subject has anyone used fusible batting? Just wondering if it a good thing or not.

Tanya D
March 6th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Vicky, despite the tuck in the back, your quilt is very pretty. The colors and the fabric are lovely.

Jean, you are awesome! I hope you and the lady in need of a friend hit it off and you are able to spend some time together while she goes thru her treatments.

alliek
March 6th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I keep nice and warm on many a cold windy evening with my "boo boo quilts" that I kept!!! Kudos for Jean for having such a big heart, you too Vicky. Your actions keep my heart warmed

rochellejay
March 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I messed up on a JRR quilt and ended up using it as "fabric" and made a bunch of wonderful things with it. But I think your quilt is very pretty! I would snuggle up in it!

I really seem to struggle with getting my quilt through the throat of my machine which just makes things all kinds of awkward and difficult! I have a JRR quilt that I am making for my brother's birthday which was Feb 2nd...quilts sure DO hate deadlines.

Tanya D
March 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I just sent a quilt in the mail yesterday that I was hoping to send her for Christmas...so yes, I agree, quilts do not like deadlines.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'm going to do a tutorial on sandwiching a quilt so this will never happen to you again. And I use cheap pins, not expensive spray. Nary a pucker since I started to use this method.

Roxanne
March 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm going to do a tutorial on sandwiching a quilt so this will never happen to you again. And I use cheap pins, not expensive spray. Nary a pucker since I started to use this method.

I will be interested in this also. Let us know when it is up.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM
If you look at my tutorial introduction on Jelly Roll Race quilts that Vicky put on YouTube for me, all the quilts that are SITD quilts are done using this method. I don't worry about tucks or puckers using this method. Must have a walking foot and support around the machine to make it all work out. Look in my user notes for the link to it.

shorte85
March 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I owe RiverMomm Vicky BIG TIME for all the work she did posting my YouTube Videos. I'll just trade the quilt I was going to send her and give it to her friend! Then she doesn't have to rip if she doesn't want to! And she can keep the pretty purple for herself!

But whatif I want the quilt? JK JK!! :) Nothing wrong with keeping the quilt to yourself, you can snuggle in it at night and gaze at all those pretty purple colors! :)

Lisapc
March 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I am seriously considering buying the Hobbs fusable batting so I don't have puckers. I did use the heat bond tape method on the Fairy Frost quilt I made and it worked great for me. I just don't know if it would work on a bigger quilt. I will have to follow Jean on the best most economical way.

RiverMomm
March 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Since Jean was so wonderful to step in and give a "quilt hug" jelly roll quilt to the lady in need, I have decided to put THIS quilt away for a nap for a week or two. I am going to totally take the back off and start again.

I have made quite a few of jelly roll quilts and this is the first with such issues. I think this biggest problem is the backing fabric. It's cheap and it warping or something like that. If I keep using this fabric, I will really starch the living daylights out of it before I give it another try.

I use a "wall" to sandwich my quilts. I bought two big insulation boards at Home Depot and covered each with felt. They are pushed together so it makes one big wall. I did this because we are renting and I didn't want anything to happen to the walls of this house. Then I pin the backing fabric, spray with 505, then batting(Hobbs 80/20), spray with 505 andd then the top. I smooth as I go. This time, I think I must have rushed it or didn't smooth as much as I should. Or didn't pin the backing as tight first.

When I first started quilting, I would do the sandwich on the floor. It worked great but I find it really hard on the body to do it that way. I wish I had a big table where I could clamp the backing fabric down and then sandwich.

So what was the main difference with this quilt and my past quilts? The backing fabric. It is 100% cotton but as I look at it, the quality isn't up to the fabric used on the top. If I had the money, I would buy one of the pretty prints on the top and use it for backing. But, I am on a serious fabric diet.