PDA

View Full Version : Has The USPS lost Their Mind?

auntiemern
March 4th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I just checked on my latest order from M*. Now mind you, I just live on the other side of the state from them. It is currently in Nashua, NH, after leaving Shrewsbury, MA. It was shipped from Hamilton, MO on 3/2. No wonder the cost of postage has gone up. SMH.

K. McEuen
March 4th, 2013, 11:36 PM
The pay it forward I got from bhaggerty went from Texas to Nashville and then to me out in New Mexico. I think they need a GPS.

Jess1377
March 5th, 2013, 12:00 AM
That is crazy.

New York Sue
March 5th, 2013, 12:07 AM
MADNESS. Absolute madness.
I think the world tilt, lunar alignment, etc. may be off just a bit...
I've had a WILD couple of days at work, and over my 28 years of nursing, I've noticed things come in waves....
People are just off.
I SWEAR.

grannyann
March 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Get this. I went to the post office , put my letter in the slot in side the post office.The letter was going to a building a couple of blocks down the street. It took 3 days to get there. I question the postal worker and she said they don't have a stamping machine any more and sent it off about 40 miles from here to get stamped and sent back here. Just don't make sense. I should have just delivered it my self.

Sharyn J
March 5th, 2013, 12:31 AM
And I thought I was alone! I mailed something to the next town, 4 miles from here. It took 10 days to get there. A mule train would have been faster.

lilmouse
March 5th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Well it cost me more to ship my little mug rug than it did to make that darn thing!

HandsOffItsMine
March 5th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Yet I mailed 15 packages Priority Mail on Wednesday from Hawaii and 10 of them arrived on Friday and 2 on Sat in Georgia! Now watch the other 3 will probably take a week instead of the normal 4 business days. lol

CountryHut
March 5th, 2013, 12:41 AM
- I guess we all have seen USPS at it's worst -- I ordered something that was being shipped from Orlando Fl . . which is 3 hours south of me -- the package went to Kent Washington before it hit the black USPS hole of Jax'ville Fl -- it was shipped priority -- took 15 days before it reached me . . Jeeeeeeesh *~

bec
March 5th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I noticed this craziness several months ago. A package went back and forth across the country, passing close to my area a couple of times. And then they wonder why the USPS is losing money.

Lisapc
March 5th, 2013, 12:52 AM
It must be a computer error? That is nuts.

Mchelem
March 5th, 2013, 02:18 AM
FedEx and ups are just as bad.
UPS sent my package from Dallas to Nevada to Arizona. Ummmm, don't you have to pass Arizona to get to Nevada?

I was expecting a FedEx package one Saturday and it was supposed to be delivered by 10:00 am. 10:00 came and went and no FedEx. I checked the tracking and it said it was delivered at 10:18. I went and checked my porch and no package. I checked the neighbors porches too. I then decided to rewind our video surveillance tapes and see what he might have done with it. At 10:18, my video shows the FedEx truck alright.... Driving by my house, not even slowing down. So I call FedEx. They're no help. I make a copy of the video and go to my FedEx office. They get in touch with the driver and he swears he left it on the porch. I show them the video and they call him back. He doesn't know what he did with it. By this time it's noon, and the bank is closed and its a rather large check I'm expecting that needs to be deposited for my payroll. He finally shows up at my house at 4:30. He had delivered it to 1832 (my address is 1732) because he assumed it was for them. No apology, nothing.....

Sandy Navas
March 5th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Why I live where I do and Why I don't use USPS.
http://nebraskahistory.org/images/oversite/kidspage/ponyexpress.gif (http://nebraskahistory.org/oversite/kidstuff/ponyexpress.htm)

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I liked Keven Costner in The Postman. Why did it get such bad reviews?

I have had pretty good luck with them coming to Hawaii. It was my understanding that our mail goes straight to Los Angeles by air and then here, so it comes fairly fast. That's what the Clerk told me. My problem is that when you buy something that say's standard. It might come by truck let's say from New York to Los Angeles, then trucked to Long Beach, barge to Oahu, barge to Kauai. I hate to have to keep sending emails to sellers to ask what do you mean by standard. Just say priority for gosh darn it!

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
It was missent - it happens. Now as far as Nashville, goes, are you sure it wasn't Memphis? All priority and express mail goes through Memphis - just like Fed-Ex.

Not being grumpy here, but as I have said many times in other posts, you would not believe the way packages are missent due to the sender's error - wrong state/no state/incomplete or missing addresses and often no return address ("Grandma" is not a return address, by the way!)

Please, regardless of what service you use, double check the address and your return address is just as important. When you place an order online, make sure you include all information including apt numbers, they can only send it to the address you provide.:D

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Get this. I went to the post office , put my letter in the slot in side the post office.The letter was going to a building a couple of blocks down the street. It took 3 days to get there. I question the postal worker and she said they don't have a stamping machine any more and sent it off about 40 miles from here to get stamped and sent back here. Just don't make sense. I should have just delivered it my self.

That is true. Cutbacks and automation have slowed the process, but in the long run, have kept the price down. Do you realize that the postal rates have gone up so much slower than inflation in general? No one stops to think about how many hands would have to touch a letter if it was done "the old way". And I say this as a clerk who has been around for 25 years and seen many changes - a lot that I don't like, but realize must be made. The work force would be exponentially larger (more jobs would be great), but the costs would be through the roof also.

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
And one more thing:icon_bigsmile:

a little story from 25 years ago. Back in the day, the PO would have an open house for employees families. My Mom, who worked in an office that did LOTS of mailings went with me and the kids. After touring the building and seeing the sheer volume of mail and what it takes to process that mail said "I will never complain about the post office again!" I recommend a tour if you are ever able to and then you will understand much better.

MarianneK
March 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I have never experienced this weirdness in shipping and find they do a pretty good job. Over the past several months I've sold/sent a large number of items on eBay and no problems. My pet peeve is the cost. Federal employees should never have been allowed to unionize~that is what is killing the postal service.

Lisapc
March 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
The post office is one of those things in our US lives that gets a bad rap. It used to be a place where you were lucky to get a job and have great pay and benefits with steady work. Then somehow it changed. No one is paid enough in the real world for their work and unfortunately you hear a lot of the bad that happens because of a few bad workers at the post office. The good things are never really talked about like the volunteer hours some smaller offices put into answering letters to Santa.

Glitches happen. It just seams that they always happen when you really need things to go smoothly. My hubby's close friend works for the post office and has taken a stipend for years and years because instead of an official mail truck uses his own personal vehicle. The stipend doesn't cover it. I get to mail a letter to anywhere in the US for cents. It is a very reasonable price even if it feels like it is always going up.

Just like every industry there are mistakes and dwil23, thank you for handling our mail for so long.

I am going to look at it like this, when I make a plan, God laughs. So if I order something or mail something with a date of arrival in need or mind and it doesn't' arrive. Well God didn't' want it to arrive according to my plan.

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have never experienced this weirdness in shipping and find they do a pretty good job. Over the past several months I've sold/sent a large number of items on eBay and no problems. My pet peeve is the cost. Federal employees should never have been allowed to unionize~that is what is killing the postal service.

You might be surprised to know that I agree with you - the unions are killing us with their stupidity. I appreciate the salary and benefits, although it is lower than UPS or FEDEx on average, but the protection of lazy workers is a BIG problem that eats up resources.

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thank you, Lisa!

CrazyMtnLady
March 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have never had a real problem with the postal service. On the other hand I will not ship with UPS and rarely with FedEx. We do a lot of shipping and use Click and Ship from home. The only problem is (although the cost increases have hurt) is the tracking. We always put tracking on our packages. However there is one package DH is waiting to come here and the person sent him a message with the tracking number but nothing shows up. NO ONE is scanning it at the different locations.

craftyrad
March 5th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I had a funny experience with UPS several years ago. Tracking showed it went from somewhere in CT to a town in MA north of us, then back to CT, then back to MA, etc. I called a couple of times, finally got someone who said she had the package in her hand and would DRIVE it to my house, but by then I had called L. L. Bean and had them send another. It was addressed properly, but somehow the scan code had something wrong on it. What made it funny was that in the back-and-forth every day, it must have gone on a road about 2 miles from my house. I wanted to tell them to throw it out at exit 17 and I'd go pick it up!

cyndiofthevortex
March 5th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Dear Marilyn,

I live close enough to Nashua to pick it up for you. I'm sure everything you ordered will be in the package as I NEVER open boxes I'm not supposed to.

rebeccas-sewing
March 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Reading this could explain why it took over 3 weeks for a baby quilt I made to reach my niece! It was mailed from California to North Carolina! You'd think I was sending it to China!

shannonsaulter
March 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
So far in the US packages are doing ok for me..I still havent heard a thing about the mug rug I sent to canada..I may just have to send the person a note to look for it but will give it til early next week ...

auntiemern
March 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I am not slamming the PO. On the contrary. My sis and BIL are both carriers. I just don't understand why it did not go from the KC sorting station to the St. Louis one, and instead went to MA and NH. That is just insane.
That is true. Cutbacks and automation have slowed the process, but in the long run, have kept the price down. Do you realize that the postal rates have gone up so much slower than inflation in general? No one stops to think about how many hands would have to touch a letter if it was done "the old way". And I say this as a clerk who has been around for 25 years and seen many changes - a lot that I don't like, but realize must be made. The work force would be exponentially larger (more jobs would be great), but the costs would be through the roof also.

SallyO'Sews
March 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Guess your package was taking the scenic route!

alliek
March 5th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Your certainly not alone. If I mail a local letter it has to go to another city (I guess for the stamping, as Ann has said) then be sent back. I received a package from Rhode Island faster than you receive local mail here. Your right New York Sue, we are out of alignment SOMEWHERE!

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I agree it shouldn't have. In this case, it was clearly a "missent" - either human or machine error. It was put into or fell into the wrong piece of equipment. People make mistakes and so do machines. Simple as that!

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2013, 11:44 PM
lol Sally!

pdjewelrylady
March 5th, 2013, 11:53 PM
- I guess we all have seen USPS at it's worst -- I ordered something that was being shipped from Orlando Fl . . which is 3 hours south of me -- the package went to Kent Washington before it hit the black USPS hole of Jax'ville Fl -- it was shipped priority -- took 15 days before it reached me . . Jeeeeeeesh *~
Diane!! you are my neighbor! i am in deland and i know where middleburg is! come play and swap butterflies with us - no postage required!! WHoooohoooooooo :D