PDA

View Full Version : Craft fair is over, I am sooooo tired but happy!

Klasien
March 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I had a couple of busy days.........worked all week and last friday the fair started, we went over there to set up the booth thursdayevening, the fair started friday at 10 am till sunday 5 pm......... 3 long but fun filled days!! Today was my day to work in prison, so I worked 6 days in a row...... Tomorrow is my day off....I will enjoy that day soooooo much, I really am getting old :(

I sold a babyquilt and a big quilt, among a lot of small stuff, sold all my pillows (and covers) and I am so happy about that, they take up a lot of space ;) I will never make them again.........

I am happy how this fair went, lot of people thought my products were very different (I told them about us here and all the amazing patterns I learned here) everybody told me my work was really neat............but the discusion I hated was......."did you do this by hand or machine???"
When I said by machine they said: "Oh well then it is not quilting"......brrrrrrr did not like that.
There was one lady who looked at my quilts, she said:" You keep up this and one day it will come to you and you will be able to make a real quilt....I started out like this also..."
I was overwhelmed by such comment.....did not know what to say, so I did not say anything at all :)

I made a around $ 600,00........so that goes into my saving for Missouri next fall, lodging or shopping, I have to make up my mind on that one ;)

Now of to read all the good stuff I have missed the last 4 days

Swedish leo
March 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I am glad that you sold but i would not pay any attention to those people that obviously not know what they are talking about.
I bet they just where jealous about your great works!

Hugs Annika

Lisapc
March 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Congratulations! I wonder what Jenny or any other real quilter would say about how you were treated. You are an amazing quilter and that machine is guided by your hand!

rebeccas-sewing
March 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
How insulting! It's amazing to me how some people can be so rude! You can laugh at them all the way to the bank, Klasien! Good for you. $600 is terrific! Way to go!

auntiemern
March 4th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you had a great fair. From what I saw in the pics, your stuff was amazing. Unfortunately I used to be one of those quilt snobs that didn't consider it quilting if done on a machine. Boy, has that changed :). I am so happy that I started machine quilting. I can get many more quilts for the PICU and other causes done so much faster. I still do some hand quilting, but if I can do it by machine I am all for that. Currently hand quilting because of the foot, but somehow this week I do have to finish machine quilting GD #2 b'day quilt. I WILL get it done :)

MayinJerset
March 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Great that you sold so much, $600 that wonderful. You know what we would say in Jersey about those quilt snobs, Forgettaboutit! What do they know because You Rocked that Craft Fair. May in Jersey

Roxanne
March 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you had a good fair. I used to think that machine quilting was kind of "cheating" and it wasn't really a quilt unless it was handquilted. After I handquilted 3 quilts, I changed my mind. That's for the birds. I would say that now I prefer machine quilted quilts. I love the way they wrinkle when washed and dried giving them that "old" look. Also, I feel they are much more durable than handquilted quilts. I still admire a beautifully handquilted quilt but machine quilted are every bit as beautiful. Don't pay attention to people who obviously have never made a quilt.

Winniesfriend
March 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I am glad you had a great fair, despite the rude comments of people, I dont know how people can be so rude, the items you make are beautiful I am not surprised that you did well.

Klasien
March 4th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I made this pictures with my phone, so I have no idea how they will show up.....but to give you an idea how my booth was set up here it is.....

Roxanne
March 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
It looks great!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
So glad to hear about how you did at the fair, selling two quilts is a great thing! You had some very nice items to sell. And those quilt snobs--just ignore them! Your work is lovely and you have no reason to doubt if you are a real quilter, of course you are! You can just make your things quicker than those hand quilters can!

Glad you have some loot to put toward the trip in Sept/Oct! I've been telling all of my friends that you are coming, am going to be working up a "Meet Klasien" party one night you are at my house! And we need to decide where we are going to stay once we get up to MSQC, there aren't a lot of motels nearby and I would like to reserve some rooms pretty soon if you think this is a good idea.

NanaB
March 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM
WOW! $600.00 is GREAT! Your booth looks very inviting. Don't let those 'haters' get you down. How many quilts have they made? I am proud of you. A craft fair is hard work. Laugh all the way to the bank, girl!!

New York Sue
March 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Did the snobby commentators make $600.00?
I think not.

You're booth looks terrific!
Did you sell any of those awesome lunch bags you made a few months back?

buckeyequilter
March 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I am glad the fair went well for you and you are able to have some extra cash for your trip :)

If someone asks me if a quilt is made by machine or hand I'll probably say "since you're evidently the expert, you tell me". To me a quilt is a quilt....whether it's hand or machine made.

auntiemern
March 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Jean, let me know when and where you are booking so I can get a room in the same place. I've been leading toward one of the motels in Cameron.
So glad to hear about how you did at the fair, selling two quilts is a great thing! You had some very nice items to sell. And those quilt snobs--just ignore them! Your work is lovely and you have no reason to doubt if you are a real quilter, of course you are! You can just make your things quicker than those hand quilters can!

Glad you have some loot to put toward the trip in Sept/Oct! I've been telling all of my friends that you are coming, am going to be working up a "Meet Klasien" party one night you are at my house! And we need to decide where we are going to stay once we get up to MSQC, there aren't a lot of motels nearby and I would like to reserve some rooms pretty soon if you think this is a good idea.

Bubby
March 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Klasien, Don't let anyone burst your bubble...you're a wonderful quilter and your quilts and other projects are to be treasured. Congratulations on your huge success at the fair!!

Lindagie
March 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM
There was one lady who looked at my quilts, she said:" You keep up this and one day it will come to you and you will be able to make a real quilt....I started out like this also..."

So she didn't think your quilts were "difficult" enough or what? Amazing how rude some people can be. I would have been tempted to ask if she had any REAL quilts available for you to see.

Congrats on selling your quilts; I think everything looked great!

Cat n bull
March 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM
What a bizarre thing for someone to say to the maker of such beautiful quilts! Some people are just stupid. I never understood the mindset that hand quilting or hand sewing for that matter, is somehow more 'special' or better than machine sewing. I have done both and will continue to do both, but the biggest difference I notice is the ridiculous amount of time hand sewing requires and machine stitching is more durable.

Good for you for getting so much money at the fair!

bkthomas
March 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Just in case your bruised ego needs a little more soothing;

Your Craft Fair Booth looks incredible!!!!

When I first started, I only made baby quilts_whole cloth_and I tied them
someone told me they were not quilts because they were tied - that they were comforters - I believed her till I mentioned it to someone else and was advised not to listen to "them"

buckeyequilter
March 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Definition of quilt/quilting from Dictionary.com....no where in this does it say it must be hand pieced and quilted:

quilt /kwɪlt/
noun
1. a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting.
2. anything quilted or resembling a quilt.
3. a bedspread or counterpane, especially a thick one.

verb (used with object)
5. to stitch together (two pieces of cloth and a soft interlining), usually in an ornamental pattern.
6. to sew up between pieces of material.
7. to pad or line with material.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Jean, let me know when and where you are booking so I can get a room in the same place. I've been leading toward one of the motels in Cameron.

That's where I was going to get rooms. There is a nice looking Comfort Inn, I think a Best Western and a Budgetel all on the same intersection. It's a big truck stop area. There are probably more west of I-35, that's where the real town of Cameron is, but I've never been over there. We can go to Chillicothe also, it's a little farther east of Hamilton.

pcbatiks
March 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Klasien..........congratulations on doing so well at the craft fair! Your quilts and other projects look great! In reference to the rude comment.....you could have said........I'm sorry, I didn't hear you.....I was counting my $600.00. :)

MRoy
March 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Klasien, congratulations on a great fair. Your quilting is the real thing and it's great so "Phooey!" on the rude comments. You can laugh all the way to MSQC with your $$ this fall. :icon_tup:

quiltingtrish
March 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM
'well then, it's not quilting'?? It seems to me they don't know what a quilt is. Perhaps they should look it up in the dictionary.

A bed coverlet made of two layers of fabric with a layer of cotton, wool, feathers, or down in between all stitched firmly together, usually in a crisscross design.

That's what I tell people. Besides, people like that are snooty anyway.

Glad to hear you did so well at the craft fair. :))

Hugs,

lilmouse
March 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I am so proud of you and happy for you...and they are snobs who probably wouldn't recognize talent if it slapped them in the face....some people live to make others miserable...pay them no nevermind....they aren't worth your thoughts! You did good...the only craft fair that I have done is one in a senior center...made $150.00 and out sold everyone else and this was before MSQC...(my knowledge of).....so I was a happy camper and immediately spent it on more fabric!

Marmar
March 5th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Klaisen - The comment was very rude. Your work is awesome and don't forget that. Your profit was probably way less that the BST (blood, sweat and tears) put into it!

Sandy Navas
March 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Don't pay attention to rude people. Those who can't do are those who make those type comments. She should have both feet in a block of concrete!

nanaleslie
March 5th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Wow everything looks great. That is a lot of work setting up, not to mention the sewing before hand. Well you came away with some money now for you M*QC trip.So Yeah! Keep up the great work. Yes unfortunately there are rude people everywhere.:)

Lenie
March 5th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Klasien, wat geweldig dat je zo'n leuke markt hebt gehad, en zo goed verdiend hebt. Klasse! En van die mensen die vinden dat quilten pas quilten is als je het op de hand doet.... ach, ik kom ze ook wel eens tegen. Niks van aantrekken. Jouw werk ik prachtig! Voor handquilten hebben wij gewoon te weinig tijd ook, toch? Dan zou ik een paar jaar over één quilt doen!

bkthomas
March 5th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Klasien, wat geweldig dat je zo'n leuke markt hebt gehad, en zo goed verdiend hebt. Klasse! En van die mensen die vinden dat quilten pas quilten is als je het op de hand doet.... ach, ik kom ze ook wel eens tegen. Niks van aantrekken. Jouw werk ik prachtig! Voor handquilten hebben wij gewoon te weinig tijd ook, toch? Dan zou ik een paar jaar over één quilt doen!

I love this - I can't read it - but I love it!
Just hope you're not as upset as Sandy N.

Lenie
March 5th, 2013, 03:46 AM

I was telling Klasien: Congratulations, you had such a great fair. Don't pay attention to the people who don't appreciate machine quilting, I bumb into them also every once in a while. We have busy lifes, don't have time enough to make our quilts by hand. Would take me a couple a years to make just one quilt.

So no concrete involved.

Klasien
March 5th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks ladies, you are all so sweet!!

Some comments made me laugh out loud!
To answer some questions, yes I did sell almost all of the lunchbags I made, there were a lot of ladies who did know quilting and did like it a lot, my old sewingmachine I had out there is almost ready to run.....on lady was so sweet to thread it for me, told me where to get needles and the bobbin thing was easy enough to understand, so I hope to have some time to get needles and get that baby sewing.
It was a great lesson to do a fair this big, there have been 7200 people in 3 days........I know now what to make, what to expect and most of all I know who to ignore......I better bring some concrete next time :) :) :)

Klasien
March 5th, 2013, 05:29 AM

I think that is a great idea Jean!!!!!!

bkthomas
March 5th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I was telling Klasien: Congratulations, you had such a great fair. Don't pay attention to the people who don't appreciate machine quilting, I bumb into them also every once in a while. We have busy lifes, don't have time enough to make our quilts by hand. Would take me a couple a years to make just one quilt.

So no concrete involved.

Whew! Thanks Lenie - good to know!

Sandy Navas
March 5th, 2013, 05:52 AM

Me?

Upset?

No!!

My Father quite often use concrete for Church Foundations.

Always, there be someone who needs concrete shoes because they just don't know how to be nice,.

Monique
March 5th, 2013, 08:03 AM
You can laugh all the way to the bank. Quilting is quilting. I hand quilt because I don't know how to machine quilt. I envy all of you who can. Klasien continue your good work.

CrazyMtnLady
March 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Congratulations on a successful fair.

mamaquilt
March 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Congratulations on your sucessful fair and keep that machine quilting up. Glad you got someone to help you with the old sewing machine.

Michèle

shannonsaulter
March 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
WOW looks and sounds like you did very good! Next fall does that mean 2014 or 2013?

Wwena
March 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Your stall looks amazing, so inviting! I'd have been there forever, you'd have to shoo me away in the end! I bet you got many more compliments than bad comments, but it's the latter that stick with you. It's just how we are wired. I tbh had no idea that anyone felt that way at all! I'm a noob and sometimes it's for the better lol. The trouble I'm having machine quilting, I'd say it was the other way around instead LOL. Have they even seen some of the stuff that can be done machine quilting (although not by ME)? It's art, I tell you! Just shows how little they know. :)

GinnyKNC
March 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Your pics are wonderful and so are all your 'quilting' items. I'm glad you made some money and I recommend the shopping part lol. I've had a few people including my SIL tell me that my stuff isn't quilting because it's machine pieced, but I've decided to ignore those folks. You do the same :) Your quilts are beautiful.

PhantomReader
March 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Your booth looks awesome, I would have definitely stopped at yours. Forget about the naysayers...ignorant #$%^&*^^

$600 is great!