PDA

View Full Version : Proud momma!

Tanya D
March 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
My daughter Emma is 12 and has been figure skating for 7 years.

This past weekend she competed at the StarSkate Championships. It was a run-off style competition for skaters from Alberta, NW Territories and Nunavut.

There were two groups of skaters in her category. Both groups had 27 skaters and the top 16 of the two groups combined moved onto the finals.

I will attach the video of her skate so you can see...this is the first skate. You'll see she wipes out so we thought for sure she wouldn't advance. In fact, we were so sure, we left and headed home (a two hour drive) before the results were posted.

Imagine our surprise when her coach called to say she had placed 4th in her group and 8th in both groups combined and was skating in the final the next day!!!

We headed back up there the next day and she had a good skate. She wiped out again and was behind in her program but completed all her required elements and finished 9th overall in the 3 provinces!!!! She was so happy. Her goal was top 10 and she reached it and there's nothing better than seeing your kids reach their goals.

Here's the video...and yes, she landed hard and hurt her knee and elbow. She said it took everything in her not to cry from the pain. She kept her composure and completed her program beautifully.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5jRuPH3so

auntiemern
March 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Very impressed. I have always loved figure skating. My favorite of the winter Olympics. She is amazing and can see why you are so proud. Applause, Applause !!!!!

Roxanne
March 4th, 2013, 03:44 PM
That is so exciting! She did a great job. What a trouper! I would have just quit and cried if I fell that hard but she just jumped right up and continued. Just wonderful.

WendyI
March 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I can't watch this at work so will def. check in at home. I LOVE figure skating and am always so jealous because I could never do it, no matter how hard I tried. Bad feet. Can't wait to watch it.

Iris Girl
March 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM
she did wonderful s you must be so proud of her. My favorite of the winter olympics is figure skating

Lisapc
March 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Awesome! She is wonderful. Congratulations!

bopeep
March 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Great job........she may have wiped out but she Never missed a beat......
Way To Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
bopeep

Kaytessa
March 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Bravo Emma, she is awesome! Natural poise and grace. Thanks for letting us see her.

GuitarGramma
March 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Your daughter is amazing. My best friend of 50 years was a competitive roller skater, even competing as a senior right up until cancer stopped her. There are only two or three differences between roller and ice skating competition. Artistry counts a lot, and your daughter has beautiful artistry. What a graceful skater! She also showed great strength throughout a long program. That's tough to maintain. I am most impressed. Congratulations on her great finish!

MayinJerset
March 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Wonderful performance, and she's attained her goal, Best of Luck to her for next round. May in Jersey

aliaslaceygreen
March 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
congrats! Beautiful job!

Winniesfriend
March 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I can see why you are so proud of her, Congratulations to her for obtaining her goal.

alliek
March 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM
That little "wipe out" was a blip in a lovely performance! Emma you were wonderful, I enjoyed this so much. Keep up the good work, you are a talented girl. God Bless. Thanks for sharing this!

ilive2craft2
March 4th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this - she is amazing! I love watching ice skating and she shows some real talent! You have every right to be proud of her!

quiltingtrish
March 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM
You GO EMMA! I thoroughly enjoyed your skating and am so glad that you made your goal. I love ice skating even though if it were me out there I would have wiped out about a million times since I really can't even stand up on the skates. I am in awe of you that can.
I'll be looking for your name ( I love that name, by the way) in the upcoming competitions in your future.

Hugs,

Jess1377
March 4th, 2013, 11:25 PM
What a fantastic job ~ Yay Emma!!! Really, she did an amazing job :D

Genny
March 5th, 2013, 12:12 AM
My daughter Emma is 12 and has been figure skating for 7 years.

This past weekend she competed at the StarSkate Championships. It was a run-off style competition for skaters from Alberta, NW Territories and Nunavut.

There were two groups of skaters in her category. Both groups had 27 skaters and the top 16 of the two groups combined moved onto the finals.

I will attach the video of her skate so you can see...this is the first skate. You'll see she wipes out so we thought for sure she wouldn't advance. In fact, we were so sure, we left and headed home (a two hour drive) before the results were posted.

Imagine our surprise when her coach called to say she had placed 4th in her group and 8th in both groups combined and was skating in the final the next day!!!

We headed back up there the next day and she had a good skate. She wiped out again and was behind in her program but completed all her required elements and finished 9th overall in the 3 provinces!!!! She was so happy. Her goal was top 10 and she reached it and there's nothing better than seeing your kids reach their goals.

Here's the video...and yes, she landed hard and hurt her knee and elbow. She said it took everything in her not to cry from the pain. She kept her composure and completed her program beautifully.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5jRuPH3so

She is very talented and you have every right to be proud of her! I was really impressed when she fell and came right back up so gracefully and just kept skating. I think shes got a great future ahead of her.

lilmouse
March 5th, 2013, 12:21 AM
She was awesome and I am sure they took into account the fact that she wiped out, got up and continued her program with grace and composer....she is a winner in my book....especially for the way she performed after the wipeout....and you can tell her I said so; I was so impressed how she just got right back up and continued....that is the sign of a budding professional skater in my book!

bkthomas
March 5th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Wow!!! What a trooper!!!! Pretty Young Thing for sure!!!

Now I could not see her face, but she reminded me of Tara Lipinski!
I say you need to invest in a telescopic lens!!!

Bubby
March 5th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I think she did an admirable job...what a trooper! You should be very proud of your daughter!!! This had to be such an exciting time for her..

ChristineB
March 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Congratulations to Emma!!! What a beautiful skater! You have a right to be very proud of her!!

Marmar
March 5th, 2013, 02:38 AM
She did a great job! Congrats to Emma, great program and great music !

nanaleslie
March 5th, 2013, 03:19 AM
She is so awesome. What a beautiful skater. You must be so proud of her. :)

Sandy Navas
March 5th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Emma is quite the trouper! What a wonderful attitude and what a performance. Six of my seven granddaughters ice skate - two of them have been in serious competition and we are totally amazed at their prowess. Three of them have been skating since they were TWO years old. One has competed in local competitions and has two GOLD medals. We are so proud of them and EMMA has every reason to be extremely proud of her performance!

Thank you for sharing!!

rebeccas-sewing
March 5th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Tanya, How absolutely wonderful! She's obviously got a love for the sport and has really been working hard at it. Gosh! If she's this good now think what she'll be like when she's 18!!! I'm also so impressed with the way she pulled herself out of that fall so gracefully. Thanks for sharing!

Tanya D
March 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Thank you ladies. We are extremely proud of her and her accomplishments. She practices 3 times a week including an early morning practice so her hard work is paying off. Your compliments are appreciated and you made her and I smile :)

Now I could not see her face, but she reminded me of Tara Lipinski!
I say you need to invest in a telescopic lens!!!

I taped her performance using my iPad. It was extremely dark in that rink (they really need to invest in some new lighting) so yes, it's hard to see her beautiful face. So here's a shot of her at another competition.

Lisapc
March 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry but I don't think every child is beautiful like some people. I do happen to think your daughter is just stunning! Look like her mom? You are doing such a good job with her.

Tanya D
March 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I've been told she looks like me but I have to say she's far prettier than I am!

auntiemern
March 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
She is beautiful and gracious. Thanks for the pic of her.

Roxanne
March 5th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Beautiful girl!