PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

New York Sue
March 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM
This is the debacle in my home EVERYDAY. So I though it might be fun to share what's for dinner, and maybe provide each other with some inspiration.
Yesterday, we served corned beef and cabbage for 16. Scant leftovers, but enough to make a pot of corned beef and cabbage soup (I don't have a recipe, I'm going to 'wing it'...) and grilled cheese sandwhiches. How about you? Please share, my repertoire needs a refresh!

buckeyequilter
March 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hahaha.....we never know what we're going to have unless someone gets a wild hair and decides what they want before 4 p.m.

Yes it will be interesting to see the replies. Might get an idea for tonight.

rebeccas-sewing
March 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM
When in doubt get a 5 or 6 pound roasting chicken and a jar of chicken gravy. Roast it along with some potatoes and carrots and you've got a delicious dinner that takes no time to prepare. If you're home in the afternoon, throw it in the oven on 375 degrees F for about 2 hours before you're ready to eat. To make it really quick to get in the oven use small potatoes that don't need to be peeled or cut up and buy a bag of already peeled carrots. There will be left-overs for another meal or two depending on how big your servings are. Sometimes I'll make chicken tortilla soup with the left-over chicken, or chicken tacos or serve the same roasted chicken meal twice. If you don't have time to roast a chicken buy one pre-roasted at your local market. Many stores now offer these rotisserie chickens for close to the same price as buying a raw chicken. I've done this many times when I'm in a hurry. You can grab some rolls and a couple of quick-cooking vegetables to round out the meal.

Another super easy meal (if you like fish) is cooking salmon fillets with broccoli (green beans are nice too) and rice or potatoes. I buy two 4-6 oz. fresh fillets. Take a quart size freezer bag and squeeze the juice of one lemon into the bag with a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. Let the fish marinade while you prepare the veggies. Using those really little potatoes cut them in half and boil 'til tender. Drain and throw in some margarine, salt and pepper. Keep warm in the pot. Should only take about 20 minutes or less to cook. While the potatoes are boiling get another small pot of water boiling for the broccoli. Once it comes to a boil throw broccoli florets into the water. Boil for 3 minutes (no need to bring it back to a boil when you dump in the broccoli). Pour off the water and add some lowfat tub margarine. Put the top back on the pot and let it sit so the margarine melts. Spray cooking oil into a small frying pan. Get it hot on medium high. Saute the fish for 5 minutes on each side adding coarse ground pepper to one side of the fish. Check for doneness. The fish should not look opaque in the center and should flake easily with a fork.

Sarah Carey (from Martha Stewart) is always demonstrating quick and easy meals you can prepare in a fairly short period of time. No charge to view. Just sign up. I get recipe/video alerts in my email every day.
http://www.marthastewart.com/899829/everyday-food-sarah-carey

Tanya D
March 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Tonight we are having hamburgers and cole slaw. Yesterday we had roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn and yorkshire pudding.

Lisapc
March 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Yesterday: Roasted pork tenderloin with a garlic herb basting and roasted potato's with onions and salad.

Today: chicken parm, I don't want any extra fat so I am baking my flattened, breaded chicken in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes to cook it and then will put it back in the oven with my sauce I made from my tomatoes from my garden last summer and cheese, we will be having whole grain penne to go with it.

buckeyequilter
March 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
If Jim doesn't come up with an idea - I might make homemade mac & cheese for DD & I (he won't eat it) so he can fend for himself or we can all do pub grub...the only business in our little village but they have the best food - and most of it is homemade.

auntiemern
March 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Probably soup and sandwich for me since I will be on my own for the next 3 days. When I am by myself I have a tendency to forget to eat, except to take my meds. I like to nibble. Works fine for me.

WendyI
March 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
THESE ARE THE WORST FOUR WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!! Gah!

And the worst part is being almost 47 (in 9 days! ACK!) and being SICK of food....added to that is having a 10 year old fussy boy and a DH who won't eat a leftover to save his life...oh and don't bother having the same thing two weeks in a row...unless it's pizza! uhg. I will follow this thread with VERY keen interest!!

Roxanne
March 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM
The local grocery had whole chickens on sale so I just cooked one, picked it off the bone. Making chicken vegetable soup for supper and have enough broth and chicken to make creamed chicken on biscuits another night.

Iris Girl
March 4th, 2013, 03:55 PM
yesterday was roast chicken , mashed potatoes and carrots.
tonight hamburgers and french fries

dinners are slim here these days with hubby out of work
thankfully everyone loves leftovers when there are some and nothing goes to waste

Hulamoon
March 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I'm a little by myself most times. DD brings home fast food for her and her boyfriend so I will eat a salad or veggie burger from Burger King once in a while. Blah. I don't eat red meat so I make stir frys, Potatoes of some kind and a salad, fish and veggies. I make a lot of wraps. If you want to stay away from a lot of bread, tortillas are the best. You can fill them with anything! I love to make soup! I also get turkey chili and put it on rice. I was a vegatarian for nine years and added some chicken and fish back in. But the healthfood isle has some great products. My new indulgence is sweet potato fries. I could eat a whole bag. lol

ilive2craft2
March 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I hate that question....there are just 3 of us and the 21 yr old son is not always home for dinner anymore, so we tend to eat out, deliver in or throw some appetizers in the oven - we call it "stuff on a stone", since we use a pampered chef pizza stone. We do chicken tenders, potato skins, pizza rolls, etc - depends on what is in the freezer.

Trying to get us to eat a little healthier lately, so last night made a big salad with cut up chicken (rotisserie from grocery store), carrots, celery, green onions, green pepper, cannelloni and black beans and some cheese. It is so much more satisfying if there are beans in a salad - learned that from my SIL. She also adds avocado, but I forgot it this time... We will be having left overs of the salad tonight.

Looking forward to this thread as I am tired of what I usually cook, when I do cook (chili, spaghetti, tacos)....

Wendy, we are the same age I will be 47 in May. :)

Momofmonsters5
March 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Since dinner is over here, we went out to dinner. It was our once a year out to dinner with the monsters! Expensive but good Chinese buffet!

New York Sue
March 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Oh JEEZ. Someone got into the corned beef during a midnight snack attack...

BTW, loving all this sharing!

kensington
March 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I wing it most days. I used to plan a menu, write a shopping list, follow the menu and since we had so many kids we didn't have many left overs. That was before "empty" nest and it's just me and him.

We eat out probably twice a week, one in a restaurant and once fast food. (We like the HotDog special at Sam's club lol). But, we do a grocery shop every two weeks and we both put things in the cart we like. He buys everything from meats to pasta dishes as do I. We put it all away and I wing it each day, I just look in there and say, "Oh... I'll put this with this and it will be dinner".

If he cooks, we have chili. So... I try to cook every day we are home. I like things like Broccoli cheese soup, or Potatoe soup, beef stew or Chicken and dumplings or noodles which are easy toss in the pot meals. I like to keep simple things to toss with pasta too, so I can make a sauce and dinner is on. Garlic sauces, cream sauces, red sauce or just butter, broccoli and Parm with pasta makes dinner. He liked bread with dinner, and I always try to make a warm bread for him. Sometimes, I just butter bread and wrap in foil and heat in oven while I'm putting things on the table.

My fortay is dinner in 15! That all day cooking thing is a thing of the past unless there is a group here.

Mchelem
March 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Dinner?? Whats that????? You mean to tell me we're supposed to cook, clean and sew???

GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!

There's a rule at our house that no one is allowed to ask "whats for dinner" before 6pm. If you do, the answer is "whatever you feel like making". Otherwise I usually do something quick and simple like taco salad, fajitas or spaghetti.

pcbatiks
March 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Sue.....I don't know what's for supper..........depends on what you are cooking for all of us and what time should we show up? :D

Wwena
March 4th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I'm still a bit under the weather so tonight was a really light dinner. Yesterday I made my favourite salmon dish though! Super easy and I think I have the recipe in English somewhere, will have a look tomorrow. Need to go to bed now and get some rest, tomorrow's is my son's birthday! (He turns all of FOUR, the big boy. ;) )

Swedish leo
March 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM
HI

I bought a ready spicemix called Shish Kebab and mixed in some minced meat and grilled it in a grillskillet on the stove. To go with this I made potatoes in the oven and a cold garlic/creame fraiche sauce .

Let me just say this: There are no left overs for my lunchbag to morrow! lol

Very tasty.

bakermom
March 4th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Stuffed Pepper soup and cheddar biscuits for us(we'll eat leftovers a night or two) . I use my slow cooker a lot, even though it's just two of us now. i do a lot of "desperation" dinners-meaning what ever I find in the cupboard and freezer that I can throw together. Even when everyone was home, i would cook 2-3 big meals then the other nights it was"fend for yourself." worked out fine especially when they all had jobs and were in and out at different times. They can all cook so if they didn't like what was in the refrigerator they made their own.

aliaslaceygreen
March 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Did you know that is a call for entries title this year at IQF?? I have had some thoughts to enter it, but... http://www.callforentriesdinner.com/

Tonight, it will be something that includes margaritas, according to my daughter!!

MayinJerset
March 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM
The colds DH and I had affected our appetites so we've been eating mostly the veggie soups that I've made. For tonight I'll dice up the breast of roasted chicken that's in the fridge, put in into a pot with a quart of chicken stock, add some carrots, spinach and tortellini for a hearty soup. Also will butter some cut up rolls, sprinkle some grated Italian cheese on top and toast to go with the soup.

Other meals I usually cook are, meat loaf (ground chuck or lean ground turkey) with baked potatoes and a green veggie;
breaded chicken breasts, steamer bag of rice and veggies mixed with a bag of frozen mixed veggies;
leftover breaded chicken breasts, covered with tomato sauce, spaghetti and a salad;
stir fry chicken and chinese veggies over rice with lots of crispy chinese noodles;
broiled salmon with anything.

Picking up a roasted chicken at CostCo is a great deal, lots of juicy chicken, no work involved for me and it makes 2 meals for DH and I. I always eat the wings, not the tip but the other parts, without the skin of course.

Just found a great recipe for mac and cheese, it was on the box of Ronzoni elbows all the time and I never noticed it before. Nice and creamy but makes a lot. If we feel like eating real food this Friday I'll make half the mac and cheese recipe with some fish and carrots. .

rebeccas-sewing
March 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Does anybody have a really good meatloaf recipe? We try to stay away from red meat but I'm craving meat loaf. I don't have a good recipe.

Loonwatcher
March 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Baked ham and potato casserole with peas and homemade applesauce.

Roxanne
March 4th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Does anybody have a really good meatloaf recipe? We try to stay away from red meat but I'm craving meat loaf. I don't have a good recipe.

I use ground turkey and just make it the same way I would make it with ground beef. It turns out so good. Other than being a little more pale in color, I don't think anyone would every know it was turkey. Basically I saute some chopped onions in a little butter, add to 1 lb ground turkey, salt, pepper, ketchup, egg, bread crumbs, a pinch of garlic powder, tsp worcestershire sauce. Mix up and bake for about an hour. Really yummy.

New York Sue
March 4th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Did you know that is a call for entries title this year at IQF?? I have had some thoughts to enter it, but... http://www.callforentriesdinner.com/

Tonight, it will be something that includes margaritas, according to my daughter!!

Trish, this is TOO funny! I swear I didn't see this but I sure am loving this thread.
If anyone does have a great meatloaf recipe, give it up!
Never mastered the meatloaf. And they would never let me get away with ground turkey here......

WVGranny
March 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM
porkchops and potatoes with a side of brocolli

Lindagie
March 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Grilled Orange Roughy, baked potato and a green veggie.
I would also like to see a great meatloaf recipe; mine are kind of boring. Hope you want to share!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Since I'm cooking for me alone most of the time, if it isn't frozen, in a box or bag or delivered, then there is no dinner!

One delicious frozen entre that I do love is P.F. Chang's beef and broccoli. It is so delicious, all of their entrees are good, but if you're feeding a big family, they are pricey. I love their dumplings, they come in two serving packages, so I get more than one meal out of them.

When I have to cook big meals for holidays, I barely can remember how to do it. Quite out of practice! I love having my youngest daughter come over, she is a great cook, and can make the most yummy things! One summer, we were all out of electricity for 4 days. She made a pot of stew out of cans of beans and rice on her gas grill that her kids scarfed down, it was their favorite meal for a long time afterward.

Lisapc
March 4th, 2013, 08:35 PM
My mothers meatloaf recipe, everyone who eats it says it is the best they ever had.

1/2 ground pork & 1/2 ground beef- the half and half are whatever amounts you want and the pork cuts the fat content.

1 package of dry onion soup mix, 2 packages if you are making a 2 pound loaf.

diced onions to your taste

granulated garlic- no garlic salt it isn't good for you

1 egg or two if you are making a 2 pound loaf

Italian seasoned bread crumbs.

a handful of oregano, thyme and parsley (dried in the winter time)

Mix it all together, form a loaf no higher than 3 inches.

Put a lot of ketchup on the top and use your fork to even it out.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour for a 1 pound loaf and 1 & 1/2 hour for a 2 pound loaf. This makes great sandwiches the next day.

Jess1377
March 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM
LOL! Tonight its pizza hut ~ buffet for me and hubby and the kiddo gets a free personal pan pizza for reading from school. I am tired today after a lot of floor cleaning, laundry, and rug scrubbing after finding a mysterious (yet thankfully washable) green spot under my sons bed.

Claire Hallman
March 4th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Not tonight but some nights we do sausage and cabbage. Take a pound of smoked sausage [or kielbasa] and slice into chunks, brown in a bit of oil then add a head of cabbage that has been coarsely cut, add about a cup of water and boil for about 20 min until the cabbage is your desired doneness. That with mac and cheese is stick to your ribs good.

alliek
March 4th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Yesterday was a boneless roast pork, served with fresh broccoli and carrots with baked yeast rolls and whole cranberry sauce. (I'd have preferred applesauce,but did not feel like making it and had none in the pantry). Tonight I cut up the rest of the roast,sauteed 1/2 an onion with celery till translucent, added broth and the left over carrots,broccoli and pork, plus bamboo shoots and sliced water chestnuts. Seasoned with bouillon,ginger,honey and soy sauce. Served over white rice with crispy chinese noodles. MMM and sliced pineapple on the side. Tomorrow Pasta!!!

Bubby
March 4th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Tonight I baked a whole chicken with olive oil, lemon and fresh oregano and made real mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. Not much of a meal, but I'm not quite back in the swing of cooking yet. Your corned beef sounds so good, Sue! I will be cooking one for St Pat's.

New York Sue
March 4th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yesterday was a boneless roast pork, served with fresh broccoli and carrots with baked yeast rolls and whole cranberry sauce. (I'd have preferred applesauce,but did not feel like making it and had none in the pantry). Tonight I cut up the rest of the roast,sauteed 1/2 an onion with celery till translucent, added broth and the left over carrots,broccoli and pork, plus bamboo shoots and sliced water chestnuts. Seasoned with bouillon,ginger,honey and soy sauce. Served over white rice with crispy chinese noodles. MMM and sliced pineapple on the side. Tomorrow Pasta!!!
Cranberry sauce with pork roast?!
Genius!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 4th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yesterday was a boneless roast pork, served with fresh broccoli and carrots with baked yeast rolls and whole cranberry sauce. (I'd have preferred applesauce,but did not feel like making it and had none in the pantry). Tonight I cut up the rest of the roast,sauteed 1/2 an onion with celery till translucent, added broth and the left over carrots,broccoli and pork, plus bamboo shoots and sliced water chestnuts. Seasoned with bouillon,ginger,honey and soy sauce. Served over white rice with crispy chinese noodles. MMM and sliced pineapple on the side. Tomorrow Pasta!!!Wow, won't you be my neighbor?

toggpine
March 4th, 2013, 10:43 PM
We have all been intestinally challenged here the last few days so it has been pretty much rice or chicken noodle soup. I did bake some chicken thighs for dinner last night. I have two potatoes in the oven baking. I'll chop up the remaining thighs and use them to top the baked potatoes for Hubby and the young ones. I'm sticking to a little butter with salt & pepper for mine.

This is a great way to stretch the meat budget. Even a small amount of meat can nicely top a baked potato and we picked up a big bag of nice-sized russets for a few dollars at Costco. They also make nice diced potatoes to go with other meals.

If I am in a hurry I steam the 'taters in the microwave first. Wash the potato, and slit the top with a knife to help vent some steam. Wipe the spud with some veggie oil or a very light coating of shortening. Sprinkle salt, pepper, or another seasoning to complement the meat choice over the potato skin. Microwave in no more than 5 minute increments for about 10 minutes, then finish in the oven.
I also steam the diced ones covered in the microwave before crisping in a non-sitck pan. Takes much less time to cook that way.

laf512
March 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Tonight we had broiled tilapia sprinkled with Mrs. Dash seasoning, rice, peas, bananas, and coconut cream pudding w/ mini chocolate chips for dessert.

For those wanting a meatloaf recipe, this is the recipe I use for meatloaf. We all really like it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mini-Meatloaves/Detail.aspx

KathieB
March 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Tonight was going to be breaded pan fried turkey cutlets with potato patties made from leftover mashed potatoes. That was changed to Pizza Hut pizza when I invited my DGD, her boyfriend and her 21 month old son for dinner and didn't have enough for 6 people. We were having a nice visit while her BF fixed their car and since their baby will be born this Wednesday, I figured she could use a break.

Last night was baked ham steak with pineapple, orange juice & brown sugar marinade , scalloped potatoes and spinach.

An easy chicken recipe I like to use: pour salsa (medium or hot) in the bottom of a baking dish, place boneless skinless chicken breast in dish, and more salsa over the chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes( more if chicken is large or you're cooking more than 6 halves). Uncover, sprinkle with grated pepper jack cheese or a cheese of your choice. Return uncovered to the oven and bake another 10 minutes and serve over rice.

Leftover corned beef and munster cheese on rye bread with mustard grilled sandwiches.

lilmouse
March 5th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Tonight it is homemade chili, been in the pot for over 24 hours...has a bite to it....topped with cheese and fritos (for crunch). My meatloaf recipe is similar to Lisa's except I add mushrooms and a little worchestshire (sp) and A1 sauce as well.....and I also mix a little BBQ in with the ketchup....comes out tasty!

New York Sue
March 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Tonight was going to be breaded pan fried turkey cutlets with potato patties made from leftover mashed potatoes. That was changed to Pizza Hut pizza when I invited my DGD, her boyfriend and her 21 month old son for dinner and didn't have enough for 6 people. We were having a nice visit while her BF fixed their car and since their baby will be born this Wednesday, I figured she could use a break.

Last night was baked ham steak with pineapple, orange juice & brown sugar marinade , scalloped potatoes and spinach.

An easy chicken recipe I like to use: pour salsa (medium or hot) in the bottom of a baking dish, place boneless skinless chicken breast in dish, and more salsa over the chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes( more if chicken is large or you're cooking more than 6 halves). Uncover, sprinkle with grated pepper jack cheese or a cheese of your choice. Return uncovered to the oven and bake another 10 minutes and serve over rice.

Leftover corned beef and munster cheese on rye bread with mustard grilled sandwiches.

YUM! YUM! YUM! So many good ideas here, it's crazy. Funny how most of us are just getting our cooking skills in order, and the nest empties.
My eldest daughter reminds my youngest often, how 'I had the Kraft Mac and Cheese with hot dogs Mom, and you got the 'after FOOD network Mom'....
SO, SO TRUE. I may just do my best at keeping this thread UP, if you guys will keep contributing, and don't mind an occasional 'bump up'. SO many great ideas to share!

Lisapc
March 5th, 2013, 01:30 AM
My son's new favorite recipe is 40 garlic clove chicken. He is 8 and he wants this meal at least once a week.

You put a little oil a deep frying pan on a medium/high heat and place your chicken breast skin side down for 7-8 minutes or until the skin is very crispy. Remove from pan.

Add 40 or in my son's case a whole plastic container (120+) of garlic cloves to the pan and cook until slightly browned.

Add 1 cup of chicken broth. I usually use low salt chicken bullion (2 cubes) with one cup of water.
Add your favorite white wine to taste and deglaze the pan.

Place chicken back in pan, skin side up and cover pan. Time it for 25 minutes.

When you come back it is the moistest, most delicious chicken and the garlic is so sweet.

I usually make rice and scoop out the garlic cloves and put that onto the rice and then spoon the remaining liquid over it all. I find it amazing that not only does my 8 yr old like this but it is his favorite meal and he loves to cook it.

Iris Girl
March 5th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I have a great meatloaf recipe if you like cheese and spicy it has pepperjack cheese in it let me know , I'll post if you do.

Oh yeah I think Sandy wants the rum cake recipe .I'll get right on it

rebeccas-sewing
March 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Lori! Looks good!
Tonight we had broiled tilapia sprinkled with Mrs. Dash seasoning, rice, peas, bananas, and coconut cream pudding w/ mini chocolate chips for dessert.

For those wanting a meatloaf recipe, this is the recipe I use for meatloaf. We all really like it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mini-Meatloaves/Detail.aspx

dwil23
March 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I live with one of the pickiest eaters in the world - 20 yo DD. One thing she will always eat though is creamy italian chicken.

Take 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts and place in the crookpot with a couple of teaspoons of water and one envelope of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix (dry, right out of the envelope). Cook about 2 hours, remove chicken and stir one can of cream of mushroom soup, 8 ozs of cream cheese and (optional) one can of mushrooms into the liquid. Stir until cheese is melted. Shred the chicken and return to the mixture for 20 - 30 minutes. Serve over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, etc. You can substitute the lower fat/sodium cheese and soup for a little healthier meal. I have found it's not as good when you cook it much longer - not a put in in the morning and forget it kind of recipe in my opinion.

bec
March 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I made Ecuadorean Quinoa Vegetable soup from Food.com, but when I had made it before, it was too thick so now I added more broth (I used low sodium chicken broth), a little less quinoa, a clove of garlic, and home-canned tomatoes instead of the fresh tomatoes. When garden season is in, I'll probably use fresh tomatoes. I also added a tad more spices since I added more broth. It is delicious. In fact my husband and I have claimed it as our favorite soup now. I usually get some kind of artisan bread or sourdough bread to eat with it. I have my version typed up if you would like me to email it to you.

I also make a delightful tomato soup that I fix with grilled cheese.

Try this recipe. It is yummy. I leave out the chicken because it doesn't really need it. It is filling and can be served with some asparagus or a nice green salad of some sort. http://www.southernliving.com/food/whats-for-supper/easy-chicken-rice-00400000039474/

MayinJerset
March 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Lately I've been using the recipe on the box of Liptions Onion Soup. I like to use ground chuck and sometimes I subsitute lean ground turkey breast for the chuck. Topped with Ketchup or jar of beef gravy is good.

Just remembered years ago I used to pour 2 small cans of DelMonte's tomato sauce and a drained can of green peas over the meatloaf about 15 minutes before it was done. That has to have been many, many years ago as I haven't used canned peas in over 30 years.

MayinJerset
March 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Picked up a few new dinner ideas here.

We eat lots of chicken and I've been trying to make us more fish. I love salmon but DH only likes fried fish with lots of tartar sauce on top, all that fat sort of cancels out the benefits of the fish. Serving bigger portions of veggies and smaller ones of starchs like rice and potatoes but it is hard because it's the starch that fills you up.

I don't make those big family meals for 20+ any longer as it really is too much work for me, making the meal and setting table, etc. is OK but I don't have enough energy left to enjoy the meal and the company. So I usually do a Soup and Sandwich lunch like I'll be doing Sunday for DH's 79th Bday. Soup will be double recipe of French Spring Soup, basically a chicken veggie soup with cream add before serving. Maybe a double recipe of Creamy Carrot Soup (has no cream in it), depends on how many can come. Sandwichs will be a platter of roast beef, turkey and low salt ham and one of cheeses from the farm market, they add a container of mixed olives that I usually end of eating. Add some lettuce and tomatoes with Italian and rye breads and everybody is happy.

laf512
March 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
My son's new favorite recipe is 40 garlic clove chicken. He is 8 and he wants this meal at least once a week.

You put a little oil a deep frying pan on a medium/high heat and place your chicken breast skin side down for 7-8 minutes or until the skin is very crispy. Remove from pan.

Add 40 or in my son's case a whole plastic container (120+) of garlic cloves to the pan and cook until slightly browned.

Add 1 cup of chicken broth. I usually use low salt chicken bullion (2 cubes) with one cup of water.
Add your favorite white wine to taste and deglaze the pan.

Place chicken back in pan, skin side up and cover pan. Time it for 25 minutes.

When you come back it is the moistest, most delicious chicken and the garlic is so sweet.

I usually make rice and scoop out the garlic cloves and put that onto the rice and then spoon the remaining liquid over it all. I find it amazing that not only does my 8 yr old like this but it is his favorite meal and he loves to cook it.

I have made this before and it is so yummy! My family was skeptical at first with so much garlic, but everyone ended up really liking it. I haven't made it in awhile so thanks for the reminder. The only thing I didn't enjoy was peeling all that garlic, but I may need to buy the garlic in a jar now that you mentioned it!

bec
March 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Rebecca, I have a version of the Cracker Barrel meatloaf recipe. I've tried a number of recipes and this is the one we like the best. If you want I can email it to you. Hugs

CrazyMtnLady
March 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Tonight is going to be Chinese Buffet because we will be in running errands this afternoon and going to West Plains where there is an awesome buffet. :)
Last night we had a small pizza and a salad.
We wing it a lot, I do not always have a great appetite and it is so hard to cook when nothing sounds good. One thing I do like to fix is my Ramen Noodle soup;
I use an extra cup of water and bring it to a boil then add the seasoning packet, chopped green onions, chopped celery, cooked hamburger or chicken (depends on what flavor of Ramen noodle packet I'm using) I also might add mushrooms. Through in a can of diced tomatoes and the noodles and voila!!!!!! YUMMY.
Hubby likes it when I take Ramen Noodles and add chopped green onions, cooked sausage and cook that and right before it is done I slightly beat a couple eggs and drop them in while stirring. He likes it for breakfast.

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Since I'm cooking for me alone most of the time, if it isn't frozen, in a box or bag or delivered, then there is no dinner!

One delicious frozen entre that I do love is P.F. Chang's beef and broccoli. It is so delicious, all of their entrees are good, but if you're feeding a big family, they are pricey. I love their dumplings, they come in two serving packages, so I get more than one meal out of them.

When I have to cook big meals for holidays, I barely can remember how to do it. Quite out of practice! I love having my youngest daughter come over, she is a great cook, and can make the most yummy things! One summer, we were all out of electricity for 4 days. She made a pot of stew out of cans of beans and rice on her gas grill that her kids scarfed down, it was their favorite meal for a long time afterward.

I had to run to the post office and went a little grocery shopping. I picked up two bags of your P.F Changs because I thought if Jean loves it, it must be good. lol I got the veg and chic dumplings and the orange chicken. Can't wait to try them

Tanya D
March 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Tonight we are having steamed Farmer's Sausage and perogies. To steam the sausage, I cut them up into 1" pieces and spread them out on a splatter screen, then put the screen over top of boiling water. They come out nice and juicy.

Farmer's sausage is also very yummy on the BBQ.

laf512
March 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
We are having chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes tonight and steamed carrots. This is my favorite comfort meal from my childhood :)

New York Sue
March 5th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Pepper steak served over rice and a green salad.
One of the perks of a nearly empty nest, frozen portions from leftovers.
Reheating...

pcbatiks
March 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
We are having Creamy Chicken Noodle soup.............a recipe posted on this forum awhile back........yummy!

Iris Girl
March 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Homemade pizza tonight yum yum

SallyO'Sews
March 5th, 2013, 10:10 PM
On Sunday I thawed a package of boneless chicken breasts and a package of ground beef. Then Monday p.m. I made a meatloaf with the beef and while it was in the oven I made something else with the chicken breasts. I marinaded the chicken in balsamic vinaigrette for about 20 mins. while I cut up an onion and a red pepper. Then I cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and sauteed them in olive oil; added the veggies and cooked til the onion was translucent. Then added a can of (drained) black beans, a jar of salsa, and a container of "Santa Fe" style cream cheese. Served over whole wheat tortilla and bed of fresh baby spinach.

Tonight I sliced up the meatloaf & heated in the microwave; served w/ broccoli slaw (which I purchase already cut up in a cellophane bag). Nice not to have to cook tonight, and since I wasn't using the oven last night, it was easy to do two meals at once!

Evilynn
March 6th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I like exotic food, or cooking with fruit.

For example there is an indian dish I enjoy very much. It's with chicken, limejuice, curry and Papaya. It's a bit of an effort to make, but it's worth it! <3

SallyO'Sews
March 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM

For example there is an indian dish I enjoy very much. It's with chicken, limejuice, curry and Papaya. It's a bit of an effort to make, but it's worth it! <3

That sounds yummy! How do you make it?

Jann
March 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Last night we had bacon and mushroom omelette with a jacket potato and salad. Today I cooked a beef casserole in my slow cooker, the beef was so tender and the veggies were very tasty. Tomorrow it's fish and chips, from the fish shop, they are a real indulgence!

Jan

Roxanne
March 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hubby is having tummy troubles so it's chicken noodle soup for us tonight.

Roxanne
March 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM
We are having chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes tonight and steamed carrots. This is my favorite comfort meal from my childhood :)

I thought I was the only one who likes mashed potatoes and noodles together! You have good taste.

K. McEuen
March 6th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I thought I was the only one who likes mashed potatoes and noodles together! You have good taste.

I have a friend that loves chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. I thought she was crazy, I kept thinking two starches in the same dinner?

Lisapc
March 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Tonight it was pork chopped baked in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes with a sage, thyme and garlic rub and some rice pilaf. My rice pilaf is from a box. Mommy sin to serve the family something out of a box but sometimes you just gotta do it!

debinmalaga
March 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Yum, Yorkshire Pudding!!! Waiting for roast to go on sale, haven't had that in awhile!

alliek
March 6th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post

For example there is an indian dish I enjoy very much. It's with chicken, limejuice, curry and

I would love this recipe also Evilyn,if you can post it. Thanks! sounds yummy.

janluna
March 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I made a roasted chicken with cornbread dressing, Broccoli, and gravy on Monday, so tonight, I will make chicken pot pie with the leftover chicken and fresh Asparagus on the side. Tomorrow will be quiche with spinach and bacon, a salad on the side. Then I will make mac & cheese with hotdogs. My meatloaf never baked right. It always tasted different from the last time I made it, and none of it tasted good. Finally, I decided to nuke it instead. Works perfect. Tastes yummy! So I put potatoes in the microwave and cook them, take them out and place them in a dish with a lid and let them finish cooking, while I microwave the meatloaf. (I always use a round glass bundt pan for meatloaf, it makes it cook more evenly) Then when that's done, I cover it with foil, and let it finish cooking on it's own while I nuke a fresh vegetable, like cauliflower with cheese, or broccoli, or corn etc. The whole meal takes less than thirty minutes and tastes great, and yes the potatoes and meatloaf are still piping hot. I always do a pot roast in my crock pot with carrots and potato, then I make stew or soup out of the leftovers the next night. If it's stew, I make it thick with gravy, and serve it over rice.
After reading this, I know why I'm fat! Oh well, I love cooking and making up new recipes. I make pecan honey chicken, chicken and dumplings, Steak, spaghetti with Italian Sausage, french onion soup with Gouda cheese, lasagna, Brigoli(spelled wrong), and sometimes we just eat breakfast for dinner. Eggs and bacon with home-fries, or pancakes and sausage. Sometimes I make a standing rib roast. It turns out perfect when I use the recipe on Jillie's site. You put the oven on as high as it will go, mine goes to 500 degrees, you put the rib roast in the oven, and let it bake for 5 or 6 minutes a pound, then you shut the oven off and let it alone for two hours. "Do not open the oven on penalty of death" for 2 hours. The rib roast will be perfect! We did this with a rolled roast and it turned out perfect too. They both looked like a picture out of a food magazine, and melted in your mouth. I cut little pockets and put chopped garlic in them. It was the best roast beast I ever made. I do it all the time now, it hasn't failed me yet. I'll get the website for you and post it.
Hugs, Jan L.
allthingsgood.com this is Jillie's site. She has a slew of everything on this site. Enjoy!

Tanya D
March 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Jan, we cooked a roast beast like this at Christmas and it was melt in your mouth tender! PS: I like how there is someone else who calls it Roast Beast! LOL

I will definitely check out that recipe site...I need some new recipes to try.

Tonight we are having tacos.

Lisapc
March 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Jan, we cooked a roast beast like this at Christmas and it was melt in your mouth tender! PS: I like how there is someone else who calls it Roast Beast! LOL

I will definitely check out that recipe site...I need some new recipes to try.

Tonight we are having tacos.

Jan and Tanya, my 8 yr old calls it roast beast as well. It is too funny!

Stetler
March 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM
At my age you'd think I'd be a better cook, but not so often. I'm a great baker, but not such a great cook. I have a round tip roast in the oven and I've got my fingers crossed that it will come out ok. I checked the cook book to make sure I'd do it correctly. I wish my mother was still alive so she could give me some advice, she was a really good cook.

Mpyles
March 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Omg!! I am totally a loser!! We had frozen lasagna and frozen garlic bread.......

Mary
SW Missouri

K. McEuen
March 8th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Omg!! I am totally a loser!! We had frozen lasagna and frozen garlic bread.......

Mary
SW Missouri

It's better if you heat it up. Frozen is too hard to chew.

:icon_heh:

auntiemern
March 8th, 2013, 03:33 AM
"Spoken like a true smart a$$" (Steel Magnolia's) From Clairee to Weezer LOL.
It's better if you heat it up. Frozen is too hard to chew.

:icon_heh:

K. McEuen
March 8th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Maybe I should make that my signature line ...

Bethy
March 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM
When we got married we both worked. After the first baby and my maternity leave was over, my husband quit his job to be a stay at home dad. I was a nurse and made more money. Anyway, he was a fabulous cook and also did all the grocery shopping. But I always hated it if I called home for something and he would ask what we should have for dinner. I didn't even know what he had to choose from. He died in September 2011 at age 58. I retired in spring 2012 to take care of Alzheimer's mother who lives with us. Now I have to cook. HATE IT! My sons are still living at home but work. So here I am at 55 and finally taking over the wife role. Go figure.
Being a house husband was unique in our area. He had a lot of "girlfriends" and almost every evening someone would call to ask him what they should make for dinner. It was funny!
Beth

buckeyequilter
March 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
When we got married we both worked. After the first baby and my maternity leave was over, my husband quit his job to be a stay at home dad. I was a nurse and made more money. Anyway, he was a fabulous cook and also did all the grocery shopping. But I always hated it if I called home for something and he would ask what we should have for dinner. I didn't even know what he had to choose from. He died in September 2011 at age 58. I retired in spring 2012 to take care of Alzheimer's mother who lives with us. Now I have to cook. HATE IT! My sons are still living at home but work. So here I am at 55 and finally taking over the wife role. Go figure.
Being a house husband was unique in our area. He had a lot of "girlfriends" and almost every evening someone would call to ask him what they should make for dinner. It was funny!
Beth

So sorry to hear about your DH. You sound a lot like us...DH just went back to work after 10 years of being a stay at home hubby, I kind of like him at home, I didn't have to do any housework or cooking. And every day, right after lunch, he would ask me what I wanted for supper....ummmm....don't know - just had lunch - nothing sounds good. He would swap cooking tips with his mom, the neighbors and the Amish ladies *LOL*.....he had "girlfriends" at WalMart, they knew him because he would go over there early to avoid the crowds later.

So now this week-end I have to clean house:icon_sniff:

New York Sue
March 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Mary
SW Missouri
Mary, you're NOT a loser! Just bake it next time. LOL. Karen, that was a come-back like no other!

Now I am cheating tonight, as well. Give me some latitude, please.
DH grew up here, and thinks his childhood pizza is the BOMB. Sadly, it is NOT. But he has my kids believing it's 'all that' , because it is their childhood pizza...
Now if I could go haul them all off for a 6 hour drive back home, to the Corner Restaurant in Smethport, PA., they would KNOW what a pizza is supposed to taste like!
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? People get afixed to their childhood pizza! That's my theory.
Now I can't really get to my point, until I mention my grown-up ALL TIME favorite pizza!
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?rtp=adr.~pos.40.7217025756836_-73.9956588745117_32+Spring+St+New+York%2c+NY+10012 _Lombardi%27s_(212)+941-7994&where1=32+Spring+St+New+York%2c+NY+10012&FORM=LARE
Lombardi's in New York City is the oldest pizzeria in NYC, and maybe the country. SO, SO yummy. I'm salivating at the mention! If any of you get the chance to come my way, I'll do my best to meet you there!

The sad reality is DH will bring home the 'other' pizza, nearly every Friday night. :(
But the good news is he'll throw a frozen 'Oven Poppers' entree in for me (Tilapia stuffed with spinach, YUM!) and some Bob Evan's mashed potatoes (I know, I know...but they're REALLY good!)
Organic salad greens, I'll be good to go!

madampolo
March 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
When my late husband would ask "what's for dinner", I'd say "whatever is easiest on you!"

WendyI
March 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Beth

Hey Beth! :icon_wave:

My DH cooks because he gets home an hour earlier than me...but he also gets up for work at 4:30 a.m. ...so some nights he's not real creative the poor dear. LOL! But I don't care...I HATE cooking after working all day. I enjoy it but only when we have what we need and I have time to do it...oh! and someone ELSE to clean up the mess!

WendyI
March 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Lombardi's in New York City is the oldest pizzeria in NYC, and maybe the country. SO, SO yummy. I'm salivating at the mention! If any of you get the chance to come my way, I'll do my best to meet you there!

Believe it or not, THIS is on my bucket list! I have heard a lot about this place from friends who live in New Jersey and they were featured on Diners, Driveins and Dives...my DH loves that show. Not this summer but next we are going to be doing camping trips down through NY state and on one of them I plan to make sure we visit there!

Tanya D
March 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I think Lombardi's was on The Amazing Race too...the contestants had to pick up 5 pizzas and deliver them correctly to get their next clue.

Hopefully I will make it to NYC one day and give it a try!

janluna
March 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
NYC Pizza is WONDERFUL!!!!! We took 17 teenagers to NYC one year. We were in charge of the senior youth group at our church. That was the longest short weekend we have ever had. LOL Anyway, we had pizza at Lombardi's. It was the only time the kids were quiet. They were too busy shoving Pizza down their throat. What a peaceful moment that was. I'll never forget it. LOL

New York Sue
March 12th, 2013, 12:17 AM
We had the 'Mess' tonight. I don't know how it got named this, but it is the ultimate of comfort foods in my house.
1.5 lb ground beef browned off. Half of a large onion and green pepper, coarsely chopped added in for 5 or 10 minutes. Then a 4 oz can of chopped green chilies (ethnic section, MEXICAN), a 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes, a palm full of chili powder and HALF a palm full of cumin. Simmer down for 30-40 minutes. Now if you can find it, I would add two packets of 'Sazon Goya' (Con culiantro Y Achiote). Yea, I know...But it's good stuff!
I cook two cups of macaroni to 'al dente', and add in the mess. Simmer another 10 minutes, then add a handful or two of shredded cheddar. Stir it around, that's a WRAP. Garlic toast, salad, we're golden.
They've left. But when I say I'm making the 'Mess', they come back home or ask me to freeze some.
It may go back to my earlier post. The 'awful' pizza I live with every Friday night, that my kids adore...
COMFORT food. ;)

MayinJerset
March 12th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'm from NY and know what good pizza is about. Our local Romeo's is best so far. DS#3 has its number on his speed dial and when he's about a half an hour from our home he'll call them and order some pizza that he'll pick up for our dinner. His wife who grew up in CA just loves their regular and white pizzas.

Tanya D
March 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Sue, your "Mess" is a spin off of my Hungarian Goulash. My recipe is just browned ground beef, a can of tomato juice, a can of tomato soup and then throw in the cooked macaroni noodles and add some pepper. Your "Mess" just has more ingredients with different flavors.

My son loves my goulash and asks for it quite often. My mom used to make it when I was a kid.

mommadeb
March 12th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Homemade creamed chicken and drop biscuits.

swells244
March 12th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Well Ill jump in as a house hubby. We are having left over baked Getty as my grand son used to call it. It reheats really good and some garlic toast. Wendy Ill fix a roast in the crock pot and the a couple days later we have beef vegetable soup and no one but the wife knows it left over roast.

Iris Girl
March 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM
tonight we had pepperjack chicken sandwiches always a hit in my house.

phoots
March 13th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Tonight my BF and I had leftovers. He had leftover steak and added eggs to it. This past Sunday he made a Layered Pasta Casserole and that's what I had for dinner. The casserole is so very good!!! A bit labor intensive he tells me, but well worth it!

Pam in Vegas

toggpine
March 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Crockpot-cooked corned beef. I added a beef bullion cube to the water they want you to cover the meat with, along with two thick cut carrots and a half an onion cut into wedges. A couple of hours in, the brisket started to float. I trimmed off the side of a big potato and wedged it between the lid and the brisket. This kept the whole chunk of meat submerged, and kept it from being tough and stringy on the part that was above water.
About an hour before we wanted to eat I cut up a big russet potato and slid it into the pot. We had bacon-fried cabbage to go with the meal.
Bacon-fried cabbage:
4 slices of thick cut bacon. Cut about 1/4" wide strips across the width of the bacon. Put that in a non-stick pan with sliced/diced garlic and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. We like garlic, so I used two cloves. Once the bacon renders down, pull off all but about a tablespoon or two of the grease. Add 1/2 head of sliced cabbage to the pan. Sautee until it begins to look translucent. You want it to still have some texture, and not be mushy. Serve warm. Do not make more of this than will be eaten at one meal. It doesn't reheat well.
(I'm sure this isn't the most healthy way to eat cabbage, but it sure is tasty! I drain off most of the fat, and it did get the husband to eat it, so it's either that, or have him drown the poor cabbage in coleslaw dressing.)

Tanya D
March 13th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Breakfast for supper tonight! My kids love breakfast for supper...bacon, eggs and hashbrowns.

New York Sue
March 13th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Crockpot-cooked corned beef. I added a beef bullion cube to the water they want you to cover the meat with, along with two thick cut carrots and a half an onion cut into wedges. A couple of hours in, the brisket started to float. I trimmed off the side of a big potato and wedged it between the lid and the brisket. This kept the whole chunk of meat submerged, and kept it from being tough and stringy on the part that was above water.
About an hour before we wanted to eat I cut up a big russet potato and slid it into the pot. We had bacon-fried cabbage to go with the meal.
Bacon-fried cabbage:
4 slices of thick cut bacon. Cut about 1/4" wide strips across the width of the bacon. Put that in a non-stick pan with sliced/diced garlic and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. We like garlic, so I used two cloves. Once the bacon renders down, pull off all but about a tablespoon or two of the grease. Add 1/2 head of sliced cabbage to the pan. Sautee until it begins to look translucent. You want it to still have some texture, and not be mushy. Serve warm. Do not make more of this than will be eaten at one meal. It doesn't reheat well.
(I'm sure this isn't the most healthy way to eat cabbage, but it sure is tasty! I drain off most of the fat, and it did get the husband to eat it, so it's either that, or have him drown the poor cabbage in coleslaw dressing.)

Togpine, I haven't used garlic, but I have sauteed shredded cabbage in 2 Tb of bacon fat and 2 Tb of butter, with a 1/4 cup of water, on medium heat, over 30 minutes or so. Sprinkled with reserved bacon bits. YUMMY! It has become a standard here, for St. Patty's day. No one bothers with the braised cabbage wedges in corned beef stock, anymore....

Lisapc
March 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Togpine, I haven't used garlic, but I have sauteed shredded cabbage in 2 Tb of bacon fat and 2 Tb of butter, with a 1/4 cup of water, on medium heat, over 30 minutes or so. Sprinkled with reserved bacon bits. YUMMY! It has become a standard here, for St. Patty's day. No one bothers with the braised cabbage wedges in corned beef stock, anymore....

Sounds amazing!

mommadeb
March 14th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Last night was taco pie and tonight was popcorn. We're so bad.

Tanya D
March 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I took out Chicken but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I want to try the 40 clove garlic chicken recipe that Lisa posted but no one in my family wants to...or not any night of the week where they might have to see people the next day.

So I've got a dozen cloves of garlic sitting on the counter...

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2013, 06:49 PM
The talk of cabbage last night brought to mind one of my favorite, easy, one-skillet/pot dinner.

I take an onion and slice it about 1/4 to 3/8" thick and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
Then a couple of good sized potatoes, sliced 1/2 to 3/4" thick, layer on the onions.
A pound of kielbasa sliced about the same as the potatoes, layer on top of the potatoes.
Take a head of cabbage, cut into 6 to 8 wedges and lay them on top of it all. Add about a half cup of water, cover and simmer about 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

I've even tossed baby carrots in on top of the potato layer before. It's a good, hearty, easy meal.

New York Sue
March 14th, 2013, 10:44 PM
The talk of cabbage last night brought to mind one of my favorite, easy, one-skillet/pot dinner.

I take an onion and slice it about 1/4 to 3/8" thick and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
Then a couple of good sized potatoes, sliced 1/2 to 3/4" thick, layer on the onions.
A pound of kielbasa sliced about the same as the potatoes, layer on top of the potatoes.
Take a head of cabbage, cut into 6 to 8 wedges and lay them on top of it all. Add about a half cup of water, cover and simmer about 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

I've even tossed baby carrots in on top of the potato layer before. It's a good, hearty, easy meal.

This sounds DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing!

Lisapc
March 14th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I took out Chicken but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I want to try the 40 clove garlic chicken recipe that Lisa posted but no one in my family wants to...or not any night of the week where they might have to see people the next day.

So I've got a dozen cloves of garlic sitting on the counter...

The garlic is roasted in the pan there is no garlic breath. Hubby wouldn't touch me if there was. Trust me. It actually turns out to be a very sweet flavor. Caramelized onions are harsher than the garlic in that recipe. My 8 yr old won't eat onions yet devours this garlic. I always add double or more the garlic and then serve it on grilled French bread slices for an appetizer a day or two later.

ChristineB
March 14th, 2013, 11:05 PM
What a cool thread! I missed this when it first started So many great ideas.
Tonight we had leftover roast beef and mashed potatoes with corn. Tomorrow night.... perhaps I'll scan back through all the ideas and pick one (that one with 40 cloves of garlic sounds interesting!).

toggpine
March 15th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Tonight was smoked chicken salads.

Hubby fills up the smoker when he runs it. We put the extras in the freezer. It was easy to pull out a few pieces, de-bone them and toss them on some fresh greens. Or bury them under between some alfredo sauce and some fettucini sauce. Or cube it up with some celery, cranberries, and pecans with a little dressing for a sandwich filling. Or....

Tomorrow will be the last of the corned-beef turned into a "hash" with the leftover potatoes from the same meal. Kind of like a farmers breakfast with corned beef instead of sausage.

New York Sue
March 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Okay, this one is worth a share.
In less than 10 minutes, we had seared sea scallops in a vermouth glaze, Bob Evans mashed potatoes (I know, but they are SO good!), and a tossed salad.
I have no patience for people that say they have no time to cook...
If you are tantalized by the sound of the scallops, please try this recipe. It is QUICK. and SO tasty.

Blot scallops with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Sear off in a saute pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and butter (wait until the pan is screaming hot, before adding scallops). Resist turning them (2-3 minutes) until you see a nice bit of carmelization. After turning, wait another 2-3 minutes. Add about a 1/2 cup of vermouth, and drop down temp to medium, scraping off the brown goodness in the pan. Reduce vermouth down for 5 minutes or so, turning the scallops to soak up the glaze.
YUM. Serve scallops and drip the glaze over.
CRAZY good, had to share.

HdWench
March 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Togg, my hubs does the same thing!! While I slept the entire day he smoked a whole chicken, brats and fresh Italian Sausage!

He also made 2 entire packages of eggs into Deviled eggs for me :-) Thanks to NY Sue I know they are wonderful in Vit D!!

*burp* so I'm chowing down on Deviled eggs and smoked chicken :-)

Ohh Love Scallops yummm ok this thread is making me hungry!!

:-Debbie

New York Sue
March 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM
JAYZEE, Deb! You have a keeper!
I've been wanting SO long to make my own keilbasa. Years, really.
My foodie neighbor got a 'jacked-up' smoker for Christmas. He makes pastrami to DIE for!
Just waiting for 'life' to settle down a bit., and then we'll collaborate.
It's going to be GREATNESS!

K. McEuen
April 5th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I had to hunt this thread down.

Tonight we had steak for dinner. My issue was what to have with it. I've been house-sitting for the past couple weeks, so there wasn't much in the house. I had beets, which we all like, so there was one side. I had a kind of old head of cauliflower in the fridge too. I cleaned that up, cut all the dark spots off the top (surprisingly it was in much better shape than I thought it would be.) Cut it up, threw it in a pot to steam it very well. When it was soft, put it in my mixer bowl with some butter, salt and pepper. Whipped it down to something that looked like lumpy potatoes. Then I put in a couple handfuls of grated cheese and some crumbled bacon. I zapped it in the microwave for a couple minutes to melt the cheese and served it. Man, did that turn out good and it all got eaten.

MayinJerset
April 6th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Tonight's dinner was free of effort and cost as we used a gift certificate to a local restaurant. DH had salad and lasagna and I had salad, steamed mussels and eggplant rollitini with spaghetti, about 1/3 of each entree was brought home with a few rolls for tomorrow's lunch. We also had coffee and shared a cannoli.

Tonight I'll be cooking stuffed peppers, rice and broccoli slaw. Pound cake with strawberries for dessert.

Iris Girl
April 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
My family loves this and I have to say even though its quite a bit of work , It comes out beautiful every time.. Never thought I could make a souffle until my son challenged me.44825
this is Turkey , spinach and swiss cheese

ncgrammie
April 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Ummm....roast chicken. I donít have time to roast a chicken during the work week but I love to roast chicken pieces brushing them with butter now and then so the skin gets brown and crispy. Tastes the same as a whole chicken but done a lot quicker. Roasted root veggies makes a great side too. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and your favorite herbs if wanted. So good.

Mom23
April 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Yesterday hubby had leftover porkchops and I had popcorn. Tonight the menu is a little better: Roast, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot.

Judy~Ann
April 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Tonight we hare having tacos. It's delish and not too heavy in fat and calories. I buy extra lean ground beef (or sometimes I use ground chicken.. we like that too)... sautee it with onions and spices. I grill the corn tortillas instead of frying them, we've always preferred this method. ... and I serve shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded low fat cheese and home made pico de gallo. Yummmmmmm... be back later.. off to make and eat tacos now. Oh .. and if some don't mind more calories... there is guacamole and sour cream and regular cheese available for that group.

Pico de Gallo recipe... if anyone is interested....

6 diced tomatoes ( I prefer roma)
1/2 red onion, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced or you can use jarred pickled jalapenos ( I often do)
juice of one lime... or lemon but I prefer lime (to taste)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Mix in a bowl.. cover..refrigerate for a few hours and enjoy ....

Judy~Ann
April 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Ummm....roast chicken. I don’t have time to roast a chicken during the work week but I love to roast chicken pieces brushing them with butter now and then so the skin gets brown and crispy. Tastes the same as a whole chicken but done a lot quicker. Roasted root veggies makes a great side too. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and your favorite herbs if wanted. So good.

Yum, that's one of our favorites too. I often just cut the whole chicken in half and cook the two halves instead of cutting it up further.