PDA

View Full Version : Almost New Years Eve Thursday

Blondie
December 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Margie077/New%20Comments%20001/cafea0.jpg

Hi girlfriends
I won't pretend to be caught up on reading here so . . .
Been awake for quite a while and just now sitting down to share a cup of coffee with you.
Last night we stayed at home for the first time in two weeks. It was hard to leave Mom by herself but we are just up the hill. We have decided that on the days I work, she will cook - a personal yay for me - and the rest of the week we will take turns. Hubs and I really need to lose some weight so this should be interesting. My mom could fatten up anything.

I have a mess in the basement sewing area once again. I need to work on the dresden fan blocks - will post in that thread soon.

Is anyone planning a special party for New Years?

NM Lady
December 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Good morning everyone!

Blondie, you have to be such a blessing to your Mom. Swapping out meals will be good. She can make hers and you can make the light meals. :icon_bigsmile:

Don't have anything special planned for New Years eve, but it will be nice to have another day off.

God bless and take care.

patticakes
December 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Good morning!
Always nice to see your am graphic Blondie! Glad you are sharing coffee this am, sure could use a cup! Nothing like Mom's cooking, too bad good cooking comes with so many calories! It's just not right!
I think we are heading over to our friend's house for NYE but since we live quite far it will be a dry one for me because I refuse to drive after drinks and I want to wake up in my own bed on 01-01-11!
It is my daughter's birthday but she is not close enough to celebrate it with her this year.
I am excited to start my Black and White blocks on my 3-day weekend and will probably play around with my Christmas Star blocks from the last swap. Also have to get a baby quilt top ready to quilt. Can't wait because I've really missed my sewing machine!
Have a great day!
Patti

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Good morning everyone!
A phone call for DH woke me - arrgh - was probably nothing - it's usually someone who needs help with their computer -who would call at 7:40 AM? It was not Odie so it can wait another hour or so.

Speaking of Odie - he said they took the first 52 Marines that signed in for the training and put them on guard duty until Tuesday which he said is ok cause he is getting his time in and they have had some free time. What a wonderful surprise to hear his voice when I thought we wouldn't talk to him again until the end of January. Two of his phone calls enroute to N. Carolina were home-sicky sounding but he said he's feeling better now. It was always the unknown for me that got me anxious. He sounds happy.

Today - more working with my machine. I did find a stippling stitch on the machine - don't know how I missed THAT before but it's still messing up. So think I will play about another hour or so with it and then just go to straight line stitching to get the quilting done if I can't figure it out by then. I need to get these few projects finished. They are already late.

Looks like a sunny day and supposed to warm up to around 45. I'll take it! Have some gal coming later this afternoon to show me a product 'I can't live without'. I will give her about 1/2 hour and if she can't finish talking about it in that amount of time, oh well. Why am I so nice to let these people in? One guy came in and talked for over an hour about cancer insurance. Another one tried to sell me a $900. vacuum cleaner - I have wood floors. I have got to learn to be more MEAN. You know - they say - so and so gave me your name. Think I'll start telling the so and so's to not give my name out anymore - PLEASE!

Well, have a super day everyone! Sounds like a good plan Blondie. She cooks, you eat. I bet her meals are scrumpcious (sp?) I don't have any plans for New Years Eve either. Just home here, nice and cozy.

Hugs,

RFREE
December 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
What a beautiful picture Blondie. It brought a smile to my face. You are blessed to still have your mom. Hold onto her every minute you can.I miss mine soooo bad. Would give anything to have her back. Sounds like she is a very lucky lady to have you. No big plans for new years here. Just dread going back to work Monday after being off the last 2 weeks. Have a great day.

janluna
December 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
You are doing your Mom a great service, Blondie. She needs to feel needed right now. My Grandmother was 93 when she came to live with me. I did everything for her and nearly drove her nuts. Then one day I realized she needed something to do. When I started dinner that night, she was sitting at the table watching me. I said Gramie would you peel potatoes for me? The smile I got was worth it's weight in Gold. After that she made an apple pie and was in her glory! My Aunt took her away from me because she felt Joe and I would take her money. We hadn't touched her money. We never wanted it and didn't ask for it. All she had was $3000.00 to her name. By the time she left us she had $6500.00.
They took her to Florida and my aunt drove herself and Gramie nuts. She begged to come home to me and Joe and the boys. They adored her. She was at the door everyday when they came home from school. And everyday she had a game waiting to play with them. Dominoes, Flinch, Monopoly etc. She liked winning and would cheat. It cracked the kids up and if they managed to win she would get sore. LOL But they let her win cause it made her happy. Finely she told my aunt if she couldn't come back here she wanted to go home to the Baptist Home for Adults. Only then did they bring her home.
Put her in the home and returned to Florida. I wanted to get her out but she said no, because they would just come back and return her to a Florida nursing home and she wanted to die in her beloved NY. She lived to be 96 and was sharp as a tack till the day she passed. This Baptist Home was good with her and kept her busy. And that helped. They made sure she had her crochet needles and I made sure she had yarn. Plus they did cooking classes where everyone go to make a favorite recipe. Of course that was Gramie's Apple Pie! She was treated well but I still wished my aunts would have left her here. So let your Mom cook and take care of you that way and take care of herself unless she needs help of course. That will just be the best gift you could give her.
Love, Jan

Blondie
December 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Ladies
Getting in early from the salon - tomorrow will be killer day on my feet; one of my co workers had emergency surgery for a bad gall bladder. She'll be back next week. So I will be cramming her folks in with mine. My sis is going to help me with the shampooing.

Trish, I wish I could help you out with the stitching on the machine. I haven't had time to play with mine free motion foot. One day I tried and it ran away with me, lol. I have no head for tension adjusting at all. Glad Odie is getting his bearings back.

Jan, your granny and my mom sound similiar. Mom loves to be busy - and while she is feeling frisky I do keep one eye on her. She can be downright sneaky, too! I have told her so many times in the past few years that I am not trying to run her life - just to use wisdom. She still thinks she can climb ladders and wobbly wooden step stools. We also had to stop her from shoveling the snow last week. Some things and 80 year old should not do with her health history. I believe she does these things to not only prove to me but to herself that she is still vital. My sis and I are thinking of things to keep her occupied with and cooking is one good thing she does so well. She is also an excellent seamstress. I have been asking her to make christening gowns to sell. she does the most lovely work and if anyone has seen the cheap chinese stuff sold in dept stores for over 100 bucks - I wouldn't call them a heirloom! I am sure that I am being politically incorrect and don't mean to offend anyone here on the group.

Jackie, Patticakes and Rfree, it feels good to be back online. Poor mom and her dial up. yuck.

Since I have a few hours on my hand I think I will go downstairs and tackle that beast awhile. I love to look at the sewing rooms - just works me up in despair over my unkempt space.
Blessings to all
Blondie

janluna
December 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Blondie I also have a soon to be 86 year old Aunt who is blind and has been since the age of 5. She cleans better than anyone I know. On chairs, step stools, ladders, or anything else she thinks will let her reach! She is amazing! I adore her. But worry!!???!! Oh Yeah!!!!!
She knits, writes music, plays the piano, organ, harp and accordion. She writes the most beautiful poems. Like I said she is amazing. She scares the h*** out of me!! lol
To top everything else off she is prone to heart attacks and strokes but very seldom will go to the Dr. We (her daughter and I) finally lowered the boom on her and threatened to make her live with one of us. She now goes to the Dr. on a reg. basis. And she is good about taking her meds now. Once we found her meds, 3 months worth, hidden in her closet cause she didn't want to take them but wouldn't throw them out because they cost to much. LOL She is a trip. Now we got her doing her meds right and she is doing great. Lives on her own. cleans, cooks, knits. Once in awhile I have to fix a knit stitch but usually she doesn't make any mistakes. She is the greatest lady besides my Gramie I know. I just hope I emulate either one or both of them in all things. Well, except I don't do a good job on the house anymore because It kills me. But I can cook good when I get my hubby out of the kitchen. I keep up good with the laundry etc. My house is just cluttered. Anyway, both of these women are my idols. LOL Hugs, Jan

patticakes
December 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Jan your Gramie and Aunt sound like women to admire and I bet you are following in their footsteps! I just loved reading your posts about each of them. Thank you for sharing it!

Blondie keep us posted on how your Mom is doing. It must be comforting to be back home.

Trish I'll be thinking of Odie and hoping he is doing well. Sounds like he will be busy but have some time to relax alittle.

Just want to say even though I can't always post about every little thing, I read it and care about everyone's and their families. Just full of love for all my "General Chit-Chat" friends!

Patti

sally
December 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
My mom is 90 and still lives on her own in a big house about 6 hours from me. 16 hours from my brother. She still drives and had a driving exam last year and passed with no problems. Her balalnce is poor though due to hip replacements and she tends to fall over head first. Uggh!. She will go out and rake leaves and even shovel snow and she wonders why it takes her 3 days to recover. Can't change her and she doesn't want to move. So we throw our hands in the air and leave it to the good Lord. I also have a 97 year second cousin whom I adore and she to lives on here own but in a condo. Both are amazing women!

Pinky
December 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I also have an 83 year old mom that still thinks she is 50! She lives in an apartment but keeps herself very busy with Euchre, bowling, and swimming. And she walks everyday when the weather is good. She hates it if you help her on a snowy sidewalk or give her your hand to help her. She always says, "I can do it MYSELF!" I tell her she sounds like an independant little brat! She also tells people off when they need it. lol And is not afraid of anyone. She once went nose to nose with this particularly anal man in a line up on a cruise I took her on. She weighs 100 pounds soaking wet and she stood right up to this idiot after he "accidently" nudged her. I thought we would get kicked off the ship before we even boarded! lol It makes me worrisome that she is going to tell off the 'wrong' person someday and pay dearly for it. But you can't tell her anything. She is soooo stuborn! All her sisters are still alive and in their 80's and they are all the same. Full of life and moxy! Heres hoping we all live to that age and be as healthy and as vibrant! Quilting needles and machines still in hand of course!
Wendy

Sandy Navas
December 31st, 2010, 12:34 AM
Ahh, reminds me of my Mom (several years ago anyway). I called one day and she sounded out of breath. I asked her if she was okay and she told me she just sounded tired because she got down out of the apple tree to answer the phone. She was 86 at the time. Seems she wanted someone to pick her apples and one of my cousins had her kids do it for Mom. They had left but Mom noticed a couple of apples in the top of the tree that they had missed so she climbed up and picked them.

Unfortunately about 3 years after that her mind started deteriorating and she's 94 now with Alzheimer's and it is a sad, sad disease. She's still healthy as a horse physically. Such a shame when the mind really goes.

EsGrandma
December 31st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Sorry Sandy, Alzheimer's is tough. My prayers are with you.

janluna
December 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
That is a horrible disease Sandy, as you well know. God Bless your Mom.
Pinky, your Mom sounds like a pistol!! At least she stands up for herself. I can't wait to get to the age when I can say what I want and get away with it.! God Bless her.
Hugs, Jan L

RFREE
December 31st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Losing my mother was one of the hardest things I have had to deal with. Ladies hang on to them as long as you can, you will know what pain really is when they are gone.I shed a tear everyday. I still want to reach for the phone and call her everyday and it has been 6 years now. I am so sorry your mother has this terrible disease Sandy. I worked for years in a nursing home and can only explain it as looking in their eyes and knowing they are in there and they can't get out. Losing your mind is a terrible disease one of the worst one can have. I have had family members tell me it is worse than cancer. You can treat cancer cure or the pain but there is absolutely nothing that can stop the deterioration of the mind. God bless you all.

quiltingtrish
December 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Sandy. My Aunt had Alzheimers and I think somehow she knew somewhere 'in there' that we loved her. My Mom passed away 6 years ago from Parkinson's Disease. Another horrible disease to live with and for those around them. My Father, who grew up in the old school of living - I nor my 2 sisters would ever have thought that he would take care of her until the very end. He promised he would never put her in a nursing home and never did. He did EVERYTHING for her until her last breath. What was the hardest was that even though she didn't experience the 'shakes' part of the disease, she did loose all muscle control but she had her mind in tact - she wanted to do things but her body would not respond. She had her mind until the very end, thank GOD for that - it was so hard to see her struggle to get words out, to watch her try to eat, etc. I miss her terribly!
Give your Mom an extra hug the next time you see her.

Hugs,