PDA

View Full Version : points on Periwinkle quilt dissapearing is it me or what

yoyoing
March 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM
:icon_hi: Are the points on the periwinkle quilt blocks suppose to be blunt they are not looking to good. any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong I am not going to cut any more fabric. for this till I see what is going on.
I ordered the kit looked easy enough since all you had to do was sew on the paper and trim it out.
gee sometimes I think quilting is just not for me. got jenny's magazine and her template in the book is not like the one I got I love the magazines

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM
It's supposed to be the wacky web template but I thought when looking at the pattern and looking at the wacky web on the shop page that they look different. I want to try the periwinkle quilt too. I hope someone on here has made it and can tell us if the pattern is correct before we ruin our fabric.

Suzyq
March 1st, 2013, 01:54 PM
If I had a dollar for every time I thought quilting wasn't for me, I'd be rich! But don't let this discourage you! We all have experiences like this...Check your quarter inch seam... It may be out... Did the strips come precut in the kit? If not, check as maybe your cutting is a bit off. .did you use the same ruler to cut out all your strips as I've learned that not all rulers have the same measurements. .hopefully some experienced quilters will jump in here. Don't give up, sending you Huggies of,encouragement...

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM
I just looked at the periwinkle pattern again and you know what? She doesn't actually say to use the wacky web template, only the wacky web papers. I guess you are supposed to cut your own template from the picture in the pattern. So, the answer is that they are totally different. I'm glad you posted this and made me think it about it some more before I ordered the wacky web template.

yoyoing
March 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hi if you look at the tutorial she uses the wacky web template it is big and sell for7.95 that is what I have and the paper. they had the whole kit For 19.95 including the glue stick but I miss getting it so I ordered mine seperate.
thank you suzyq for the hugs I am a new quilter and I just have wasted 1/2 of my charm pack . I just said that quilting was not for me because I got in a mess haha I just went back in my sewing room and started cleaning and the next thing I know I was making boats with the hexie thing lol Life is Good retired 6 months ago and loving it I love this forum and have got a lot of tips

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 03:49 PM

I made a periwinkle block today using the template pattern that is in the magazine (not the wacky web template) and it works perfectly. I'm still a little confused about this pattern. I thought the wacky web template appeared to be different than the template pattern in the magazine and you are saying that it is definitely different. However, in the tutorial she is definitely using the wacky web template. Maybe someone from MSQ can clarify this for us.

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
I'm still confused about the template, but after thinking about it I think I know what you did. There is a flat side to the template and a pointy side. You need to make sure you are sewing the flat side to the background fabric and leaving the pointy side out. I think you may just need to reverse the way you placed your wedge onto the background fabric. The flat side ends up in the center seam.

kensington
March 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
I just checked my Wacky Web Template against the Template in the Magazine. And they are different. I put them edge to edge. The one in the mag is almost a scant 1/4 inch wider on the side, and the Wacky Web Template is wider at the bottom. The long point is flat and wider.

I haven't tried the pattern to see what difference it makes in making a block. I bought the kit, so I have the Template, papers and glue. HTH.

This is deffinately a question to put in the "Ask the M*QC girls" and see if Jenny or someone can clarify the differences for us.

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
I need to watch the video again but I think she says it needs 7+ yards of plain fabric but the magazine pattern says 4. I posted a question on the ask MSQC about the template but didn't get an answer.

Sharyn J
March 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM
I've just re-watched that video 3 times and those points are right at the edge ....no room to sew together and get nice points. Then I read the comments left on that video and it looks like MSQ has to make an adjustment to their template. One gal said she placed the edge of the ruler on the 1/4" line of the papers, rather than the edge before trimming off the excess, thus allowing the addition of 1/4" seam allowance. Apparently it worked for her using the Wacky web template, although I can't see going to that much trouble when using a template and papers.

I also tried one block using the template from the magazine and that worked fine. Looks like I'll wait until they work this out.

Roxanne
March 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM
I just looked at the comments on the video page and you are correct Sharyn. It does say that they made an adjustment in the magazine pattern. So, why haven't they changed the video or at least put a note with the wacky web template saying that they are making changes for the periwinkle pattern. I'm glad it was pointed out to me before I ordered the template and found out it wasn't correct. I made my own template from the one in the magazine and it works perfectly.

kensington
March 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM
I just looked at the comments on the video page and you are correct Sharyn. It does say that they made an adjustment in the magazine pattern. So, why haven't they changed the video or at least put a note with the wacky web template saying that they are making changes for the periwinkle pattern. I'm glad it was pointed out to me before I ordered the template and found out it wasn't correct. I made my own template from the one in the magazine and it works perfectly.

I already have a hand made periwinkle. So, I'll just be using my Wacky Template for a Wacky quilt. Which is what I bought it for. Whew!

It's a shame that the Template isn't compatible. I guess we can't have everything. I wish we could dagnabbit! Hehe.

grannyann
March 1st, 2013, 11:30 PM
I have been using the Wacky Web Template and ordered it just for the periwinkle after watching the video. I wondered why my points were getting cut off when I stitched them together. I have six blocks that the points are blunt.
Where are you finding the periwinkle template and what magazine? I have her first one but don't want to spend anymore money trying to get the right template. Thanks ladies for pointing out something is a miss here with the wacky web template.

Lisapc
March 2nd, 2013, 02:41 AM
I hate it when things aren't perfect. I am really glad that this is being worked out before I attempt it. I would very likely think I was losing it if I couldn't figure it out. Thank you.

Sharyn J
March 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM

I'm a little surprised that they didn't post something on the video itself that there were problems with the template measurements. I'm glad I didn't waste any charm packs on this project. I can't experiment putting an extra 1/4" seam allowance because I don't have the wacky template. Perhaps someone who owns one can try a sample block with the additional allowance and see how that works out..

Also a little surprised that no one involved with the video noticed that Jenny's block left no room to attach other blocks without cutting off the points! It's very clear on the video that her points are at the very edge of the block! Trust me, I stopped the video several times to observe. I don't mean to sound harsh, but review & edit, review & edit before broadcasting. Well, I guess we all make mistakes and I'm sure they'll make corrections.
Peace be to all. :icon_calm:

yoyoing
March 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Good Morning all, So glad we got some answers on the Periwinkle , I will make the one in the magazine today I have brought the fabric and I am going to do it. I will try to salvage my charms that messed up yesterday. hahahaah I will be picking and grinning
I am so glad it was not me cutting off my points but a problem in the wacky web thing So that being said going at it again.
You folks are a wonderful group of people. As my Mother would say if she were here. I am going to make that quilt or die trying
everyone have a nice weekend and God Bless

Roxanne
March 2nd, 2013, 08:40 AM
I have been using the Wacky Web Template and ordered it just for the periwinkle after watching the video. I wondered why my points were getting cut off when I stitched them together. I have six blocks that the points are blunt.
Where are you finding the periwinkle template and what magazine? I have her first one but don't want to spend anymore money trying to get the right template. Thanks ladies for pointing out something is a miss here with the wacky web template.
The pattern and template pattern are in the Quilting Quickly Summer magazine.

Roxanne
March 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Good Morning all, So glad we got some answers on the Periwinkle , I will make the one in the magazine today I have brought the fabric and I am going to do it. I will try to salvage my charms that messed up yesterday. hahahaah I will be picking and grinning
I am so glad it was not me cutting off my points but a problem in the wacky web thing So that being said going at it again.
You folks are a wonderful group of people. As my Mother would say if she were here. I am going to make that quilt or die trying
everyone have a nice weekend and God Bless
If you use the template in the magazine it goes together beautifully. I had no problems at all. I got a piece of heavy plastic at Lowes and my husband cut the template out for me with his table saw. I imagine they will eventually have the template for sale but I didn't want to wait.

yoyoing
March 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Its me again I googled the periwinkle quilt found a great site It called The Quilt Index. it shows a lot of old periwinkle quilts.
This is a great site for old quilts. some call this quilt pattern The Hummingbird. they have a facebook page too

Roxanne
March 2nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Its me again I googled the periwinkle quilt found a great site It called The Quilt Index. it shows a lot of old periwinkle quilts.
This is a great site for old quilts. some call this quilt pattern The Hummingbird. they have a facebook page too

Thanks! I'm going to check it out. I want to make this quilt for my brother and he loves vintage quilts so this will give me some ideas before I go buy fabric.

MRoy
March 2nd, 2013, 06:31 PM
The template in the magazine is wider at the widest point and narrower at the "bottom" than the wacky web template so that the wings of the triangle will create the 1/4 inch seam allowance and save the points of the diamond.

Roxanne
March 2nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
I sorted thru my scrap basket this morning and picked out enough fabric for the center of the periwinkle blocks. Then, went and bought muslin for the background. I'm anxious to get started on it. I wish I had it all cut. The sewing will go pretty fast but there is a lot of cutting.

Fabriclovr
May 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
OH Great! I just put up a swap for the periwinkle quilt and then did a search to find it and I find this thread.. I am sick, it took me all afternoon to get the instructions for the swap up and now I read that the template is wrong.... that is one of the things that I am requesting be used in the swap. If its wrong (and I just ordered the template and papers myself) then I guess I need to take down the swap :(

Ladies, what is your solution and is the video wrong and now what do we do with the ruler and papers? I don't want to waste my money on something that is not going to work and I really don't want to disappoint my swappers by using a product that will not produce a correct block.. Yikes!

K. McEuen
May 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM
I saw your swap posted and was searching for the thread that talked about lost points. The template in the magazine is correct and I believe that there was a solution for using the template on the MSQC blog. The template and papers are really for use with a spiderweb quilt, and can be made to work for the periwinkle, but it's probably easier to use the template from the magazine for the swap.

buckeyequilter
May 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
It's not you....the first 2 that I made had no points and I made those from the video tutorial with the wacky web template. The next 2 I made came out just fine....I traced the template onto template plastic and used that and drew around the template onto my fabric. They should make a periwinkle template to sell and include those in the kit...since the ww template doesn't work for it.