PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday!

toggpine
December 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Why do men feel the need to invite over people at the most inconvenient times? :icon_doh:
My darling husband has invited his cousins over for a visit on Thursday. They recently moved up here from Oregon and I am thrilled to have them over for a visit. Just not this week. We have some very big projects that need to get done and not much progress has been made. So I spent my evening into very early morning scrubbing and cleaning. Now, I was already in the tidy-up mood since the deluge of packaging that came off of the Christmas presents had started to get out of hand, and I was cheerfully whipping that into shape. I wasn't really ready to scrub, dust, and vacuum the whole house though. They also have young children, which may be fine, or may mean a total disaster depending on the kids temperment. I have only see this cousin once, about 10 years ago, and I have no idea how they parent.
Would it be too awful to actually wish for this possible snow flurry to become a significant dumping so perhaps they would stay home and come at a later time?
If I don't wake up to a blizzard, I'll have to carve out some time to get the barn cleaned too since it has been put off for an extra week and the bedding is getting deep enough to keep the gate from swinging all they way in. My husband promised that the kids could go out and play with the animals. The goats don't seem to mind the straw on the top is dry and the stuff on the bottom is starting to compost, so I guess it is like having radiant heat flooring. Just a little smellier. I suppose I can squeeze that in after the CPR course and before dinner.
I have to say that while I was tearing around here trying to clean, he did fold his laundry and manage to watch all three of the Back to the Future movies. :icon_popcorn: Way to go honey! You know, he didn't even gripe when I ran the vacuum past the commercial break.
I am going to go find the little box of truffles I got from my brother for Christmas, dig out the rum filled one and go to bed.
I hope you all have a better day!
:icon_crazy: Cathy

Patrice
December 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
LOLOL. I know how you feel. Good luck with all that. You'll make it and I will pray for snow for you if you want. Hugs

Dragonfly
December 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Oh Cathy, I feel for you, the last time my husband did that to me he was the one that got the blizzard treatment. :icon_heh: Although come to think of it he has just done it again, he went away for 10 days knowing we had friends coming from Switzerland this Saturday. He only planned to arrive home Saturday but graciously decided he should be here Friday night. It's ok honey, either I will have the house clean and tidy in time for your friends or they can take us as they find us, either way, thanks for the help. :lol:

Not sure where I should put my priorities on this one actually since this week was originally earmarked for reorganising my sewing room. I was happy to get the storage units I wanted half price straight after Christmas but now have no time to do anything with them...but he still got to go hunting, *grump, grump, grizzle* Well I will ensure there is crisp clean linen on the beds and food in the fridge, beyond that who knows.

debi weaver
December 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM
This was so funny...I could picture you rushing around with the vacuum and piles of hay strewn around. Sounds like you need to "delegate". Know the push of clutter and having enough though! Maybe the wonderful kids they are bringing with them would love a pitchfork and shovel - give them a new experience of caring for animals, and not just the excitement of "all play". They might need a reality check and animals' smells do wake you up to the work! :) You do sound busy though!
Experiencing new places though - they are probably looking forward to being with family and won't give a thought to your house. They are coming to see YOU - not the dust and packaging! Relax and make a memory with them...and they won't remember even the color of your decor!
Have fun! Debi

quiltingtrish
December 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Morning!
Yes, aren't husbands fun? Mine does the dishes once a week and makes sure he tells me that. I say there are 4 people living here. If the wash needs done, do it. If the dishes need done, do it, Sweeping? Cleaning? It is not MY job. I have a job.
I would just pick up the big stuff and let the rest go. Post a sign that if they came to see you, they are invited to stay today. If they came to see your house, come next month.
We all know that people do look around and they are interested in what we have - must be human. You can tell if someone generally has a clean home or not by what is sitting around. I wouldn't worry too much. I used to fuss when the kids would bring friends over if I had too much on my table - sewing things - and I always had lots of things that I enjoyed looking at sitting on shelves - clutter to some people, but not to me - until one of the girlfriends told me that she always felt at home here that I was surrounded by things I enjoyed. Her home was immacluate - I was afraid to sit in their living room!

If they turn out to be neat-freaks, maybe they won't stay as long. :D

Hugs,

NM Lady
December 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ahhhh.....ladies.....I'm loving this thread.

We have two indoor dogs. I tell guests, welcome, sit anywhere, but you will leave with dog hair on your clothes.

Seems like men are on a roll right now. My dear husband of 27 years decided to fuss about how his eggs were cooked the other day. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but the kids even knew he had pushed a wrong button. After 27 years and I've cooked his eggs the same way he decided he just couldn't eat them. So I sweetly took his eggs away and said there's the stove. Cook them yourself and he did with a look on his sweet face that said "I can't believe she did that":D

God bless and have a wonderful day.

NM Lady
December 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Oh I should say, love my husband dearly and he does help with the house. Really couldn't do without him, unless he complains about my cooking! LOL

God bless.

patticakes
December 29th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Oh my....I identify!
My BF was always inviting people over for dinner and I didn't know until I was walking in the door after work and they were sitting on the couch! I always tried to keep a straight, friendly face but I tell ya it was hard sometimes. He did let up a bit after the time I just grabbed a soda, plopped down on a chair and acted like I was an invited guest also, chatting with the guests and smiling VERY sweetly and asked...."so, what are we having for dinner sweetheart?" I let him go through most of the motions of preparing dinner until I saw a confused and scared look on his face and then asked him if he needed help, which he immediately said a grateful "yes". Of course he retreated to his usual entertaining the guests position, but he learned his lesson.
Men learn by actions, not words. I read that in a book entitled "Why Men Love *itches"! I kid you not, it is not a book about being a *itch but about not being a doormat, which I most certainly was guilty of at times. Too nice syndrome, but the older I get the more I am growing out of that...LOL!
Now I am just a grouchy old quilt woman...and proud of it.
Thanks for the laughs ladies! Hope you enjoy your day!
Patti

toggpine
December 29th, 2010, 02:19 PM
After a bit of sleep and a hot shower, I am in a bit better mood.
Its nice to know I am not the only one who deals with this kind of stuff. Thanks, You gals are great!:icon_hug:
He's still not off the hook, but at least he is attacking the issue of our bed first thing this morning. I'll continue to tidy up as I see things that have migrated from their home. Partly for my own sanity as much as anything.

I am sooo with you on the complaint department. I received a new bread maker and thought I'd make cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I got up extra early to get the dough started. I rolled it out and put it in the pan in a warm spot to rise just like the recipe stated, and it took f o r e v e r to rise. The whole time the step son was badgering me about how long it was going to take. I finally had enough and said that once more, and it would be the last batch of homemade cinnamon rolls he ever ate from me. That was 9 years ago. I made cinnamon rolls this year for Christmas @ mom's. If he had one, it would be the first one. He stopped complaining about anything long ago! My husband knows where the fridge is, and that if he is stupid enough to sit there being hungry, he deserves to die of starvation.
Thankfully, he is a pretty good guy. He can and does, on occasion, do his own laundry, cook and clean(rarely any more). I'll keep him. It took me nearly 30 years to find him and I don't want to go looking again!
I just found a new nest of dust bunnies behind the headboard.
Off to vanquish them with the vacuum!:icon_umpf:
You gals have a great day!
Cathy

Sandy Navas
December 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Cathy you beat me to it. That was just about perfectly MY LETTER> Only I would have skipped the rum filled truffle and probably fixed a stiff drink!!

quiltingtrish
December 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well, just got back from talking to a lady who I guess is a health behavorial therapist. Seems DH has been going for awhile now. Anyway, I didn't want to go because I am not the one having the problems and turns out that if she hears my point of view on him, that maybe he will clear away some of the fog on his rosey colored glasses. Well, have got to tell you, I did learn something when I was there. When I mentioned about it seems that I am the one who is always doing the tidying up and cleaning - that he only cleans it when I am away or it gets so bad that he makes it a point to tell me he did something - she says that men/women actually 'see' things differently. I sweep a few times a week cause I 'see' the dirt that needs swept up. He would sweep once a month when he 'sees' the the loose cat hair actually flying across the room by then. I do the dishes once a day cause I 'see' that the dirty ones can't get out of the sink until the dishwasher is cleaned out and he does it once a week cause he 'sees' that there is no more room to pile the dirty dishes.
Maybe he 'sees' the company coming for a visit - maybe with all the stuff you guys have going on rearranging and getting a new bed and all - he wants to show that off - he doesn't see the mess we see. Bet your DH didn't 'see' those dust bunnies behind the computer.
What would I like to see changed here? Him and the kids getting along. They need to learn to TALK to each other and get off their individual high pedastools and actually hear what the other is saying.
Well, anyways - not a totally wasted day yet so guess I best get moving on getting some wash started before he 'sees' the sheets get up and actually take a walk to the washer themselves.

Hope your day is going better!
Hugs,

cause

Keepstitchin
December 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Cathy, you crack me up! Husbands just lose their thinking caps sometimes, don't they? Early in our marriage, I was cooking something, I don't remember what, and my DH said, " My mother doesn't do it that way". I said, " Your mother doesn't live here now does she?".......That was the last time a comment like that was made!!

I received a stupid red light ticket in the mail, so I am off to court today to beg forgiveness and poverty. It was a right turn, and I did not make a complete stop, ( they video tape it for you!), but I can't afford the $100, so I am going to see what I can do.

All the snow landed to the east of me, but it is going to get pretty cold and icy the next few days.

I hope everyone has a good day!

janluna
December 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM
OK everyone, Paula is out of surgery and waiting for her second one. Say prayers till she is home free. Thanks, Jan

Dragonfly
December 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm sure we will all be keeping Paula in our thoughts and prayers. Thankyou Jan for keeping us up to date.

patticakes
December 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'll be thinking of her Jan. Hope you are feeling better today also!

toggpine
December 30th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Prayers for Paula for sure!

Now I feel guilty. We received a call this afternoon that the youngest child is sick, and the cousins won't be able to make it out tomorrow after all. :0 I certainly did not wish illness on anybody, just some annoying weather to delay the visit.
The house is cleaned though. I passed my CPR/AED & First Aid classes. So tomorrow I'll go clean the barn and be mostly caught up. I'll have to try out my new sewing machine foot! Whoo Hoo!

You all have a good evening!
Cathy