PDA

View Full Version : Windy Tuesday

quiltingtrish
December 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Anyone else getting the wind? Still pretty bad here but thankfully we have our electric.
Here is the sign we hung up for Odie - he knows there is always room for him here no matter where the Marines take him. He made it safely to N. Carolina. He has the next 22 days out of 29 in the cold, wet field down there, so let's all hope January goes fast!

Hugs,

RFREE
December 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Love the sign !! You must miss him terribly. I am not sure where you are but here in my part of Ky it is just a tad windy. We have a huge american flag in our front yard and it is flipping just a little. We lost our electricity 2 years ago when the ice storm came through.:icon_rolleyes: We were out for 15 days. Talk about a real pain! We are on a well and that meant no water. Thank goodness we heat with gas. You just never realize what you have til it's gone. Anyway have a great day.

quiltingtrish
December 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Central PA. We have a well too and electric heat - we would have had to have an alternate source of heat for 15 days.

Hugs,

debinmalaga
December 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm all electric and have a well... last winter was terrible in NJ (7 feet of snow in about 10 storms) and there were areas without electric for more than a week, but luckily not us!

We're windy today and all that snow from the last two days has turned to ice. Yuck!

janluna
December 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
It was windy here yesterday. It made for a windchill of 10 below. My friend's electric went out because the cold blew a major transformer and took out the towns of Manchester and Farmington. Our Electric blinked and I went oh no, then it popped back on and I was so relieved cause my birds can't take freezing temps and all we have for heat is electric as we are all electric. My friend Carol also has birds and we were really worried. Luckily the power company only had that one call so they were only out for about an hour and a half. We have a kerosene heater but that's not good for the birds either. So if that had to happen to us we'd be up a creek.
The weather had my back and legs in so much pain. The wind quit about 4 A.M. and finally my pain meds worked and the pain eased off. I was a hurting turkey for about 24 hours. It's supposed to get really warm by friday. They are calling for 47 degrees. Of course they also promise that won't last. Darn. The weather changing is what kills me pain wise. Every time the barometer goes up and down, your spinal fluid goes up and down. If it's a storm it drops fast and furious and that's what causes me pain. I have so much nerve damage and they all start jangling and I'm in trouble. If it would stay steady I'd be fine. Well, not fine but at least I could manage the pain better. So that's my life people. Sometimes it sucks being me. Today is good. Wind is gone, Temp is in the high 20's and I feel better. Now if I could sleep. LOL

sally
December 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Trish, love the sign. No matter how old or how far away a child goes it is so nice to know you can always come home!
Well our weather is sure different out in central BC. We don't get the bad storms that the east coast gets nor the mid west. In fact we have had sunshine and melting temps but we are to cool down some but not too much. Winter here will stick around until Febuary at least. When we retire my hubby and I are moving to a small town in the mountains and there we have only electric heat. So we have a vintage wood cookstove we are taking with us and I plan to learn to use. Now that will be interesting. Any of you ever used a wood cookstove?

debinmalaga
December 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Jan, so sad to hear that you're in pain :-(. I spent one winter with a severe sciatic episode, and it gave me so much empathy and respect for people who suffer chronic pain. I hope the weather cooperates with your ailments soon!

janluna
December 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've been like this since 1979. It gets old. Sorry I shouldn't complain. Forgive me ladies.
Thank you for understanding Deb. A lot of people don't. They haven't experienced that kind of pain for this long. But that doesn't give me the right to bore all of you. I apologies. Please forgive me. I'll try not to do it again.

quiltingtrish
December 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Jan - don't apologize for health stuff you are going through. We'll just pray all the more for ya!

Hugs,

debinmalaga
December 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Absolutely what Trish said! Don't apologize!

janluna
December 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but, nope. Anyway, I'll take the prayers, thanks Hugs, Jan

NM Lady
December 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hello everyone!

Jan, so sorry to hear that you are in pain. I do understand and can sympathize. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

It seems like my life is full of changes these days. Still trying to decide whether to take the "promotion" at work or not. It would be nice to have the money; however, not sure that I want that kind of stress in my life at my age.

Praying very everyone who is in the "bad" weather zone.

Have a blessed day!

sally
December 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hey Jan never apologize for telling us your feelings and your aches and pain. You are family !

EsGrandma
December 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Jan, Hope that you are feeling much better soon - We're supposed to get some very cold weather this weekend and I am not looking forward to this. Stay warm under your beautiful quilts!

middlesis1966
December 28th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Vent away Jan. Thats what we are here for. You take care my quilting sissy and prayers go out your way. May he quiet your pain. Take care everyone and hve a blessed week.

Texsam
December 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Love the sign Trish! Bless his heart I hope the month goes by fast for him!

Sally
My ex-in-laws had a cabin in the mountains in Wyoming and we cooked our meals on a stove like that. It seems to be how well you can control the fire and heat -if that makes sense. It was neat for a few days though I'm not sure about doing it for a long time. I'll admit it I'm partial to our modern gadgets, just wish life didn't move so fast all the time.

Jan :icon_hug:
I'm sorry that you are having pain. I wish the weather would even out for you. Our weather can't decide what it wants to do either. Two days before Christmas it was 81 and then got back down in the 40s. It was misty and crummy all day and will be in the 60s the next couple of days and then drop again-hello cold season! Yuck!

toggpine
December 29th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hey everybody!
Jan I am sorry to hear about your jangled nerves. Mom has had multiple back surgeries and still deals with chronic pain. We just took her in for an epidural injection. They inserted a catheter between the vertebrae and injected a steroid concoction that will reduce the inflamation along the nerves and bring pain relief. It has done a pretty good job for the last week or so. We'll see how long she can go before she has to go back for the next one. They are hoping that this treatment will alleviate the need for more surgery. You might ask your Dr. if that would help your situation. It only took about 15 minutes.
Our weather here was pretty good today. The goats were allowed out to browse in the brush and they loved it. The blackberries weren't as full of leaves as they are in summer, but they found plenty to snack on. I spent most of the day cleaning the house. It is absolutely amazing to me how fast things migrate from their proper place. Then add the craziness of the holidays and well....
We did get some good news today. Our new mattress will be arriving on Friday! I will get to ring in the new year sleeping next to my husband! It has been about a month that we have been sleeping on the couch and a camping pad. Our ancient waterbed mattress started leaking at the seams and then the big air bed got a flat. Sleeping in separate places has not been a lot of fun. An occasional nap on the couch is one thing, but sleeping there semi-permanently is getting pretty old. So now we need to get the bedroom prepped since the waterbed frame is too narrow to just drop the new mattress into. I am leaving the construction to the male of the species, so we'll see how it ends up.
I have my CPR refresher class tomorrow. "Stayin' alive, stayin' alive, whoo hoo hoo hooo! Stayin aliiiiive!" Apparently that is the tempo that you are supposed to use for chest compressions.
Take care! Cathy

Patrice
December 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
love the sign!

debi weaver
December 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Enjoyed this thread and definitely prayed for you, Jan, as I read of your pain. Pain seems to make us long for a better place, doesn't it? I think one of the neatest thing about this connection is that we can read about the path where another friend trudges, and pray for mercy and endurance to the heavenly Father, who knows all and can help. Just read 1 Timothy 2:1 encouraging me to pray for God's help for those in need. May you feel His grace today. And, please don't apologize. It was a privilege to mention your name this morning in prayer.
The wood cook stove took me back to my childhood and visions of my grandmother's kitchen. I loved her old tea kettle sitting on the back burner, always ready to pour hot water over tea bags for steeping! Her kitchen was always warm and cozy, and so welcoming, even to a little girl who romped outside with her Grandpa. I remember him opening the door and adding a log now and then, and I remember lifting the lid to a hole where we could see the hot ambers. She made the best pies in that wood stove! So, have fun and I loved the photo of it! We just cleaned & inspected the wood fireplace for such bad weather as some might have in the future months. Imagine cooking over that! Hmmm!
Cathy - happy new year on a new mattress! Sleep well and may it all work out and fit well.
For all those shivering...please keep the cold where you are. So far, we are far enough south that the storms have swept north of us, leaving just a dusting behind. I dread ice & snow, and long for Spring each year. Sorry for all those buried under the white stuff, but hopefully, it gave you a special day with threads! Love, Debi