PDA

View Full Version : Tangled Branches of my Family Tree

Meli
February 28th, 2013, 03:05 AM
My mother's family tree branches nicely each generation. My father's family tree, however, loops. And tangles. And snarls. And keeps circling back on itself. I know, you're sitting there thinking, "How bad can it be?" Well, let me give you an example. My cousin (and myself as well) is the 3rd g-grandson of John Purcell and Stacey Smart. his wife, I just found out, is the 4th g-granddaughter of the same couple. But wait, there's more. Her g-g-grandmother Florida had a sister Charity who had an affair with my g-grandfather Haswell, and named the resulting child Warner Haswell. So my cousin's wife is 1st cousin 3x removed from my g-g-1/2 uncle.

Family history in a small county in rural Georgia. It's enough to make your head spin. Or drive you to drink.

Cocktails. My house. Friday at 5:00.

bkthomas
February 28th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I'll drink to that!!!!

kensington
February 28th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Maybe drinking is why the Family tree doesn't fork so well? ROTFLOL!

shannonsaulter
February 28th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Well kissing cousins seems right..I think all family trees have their snarls

GuitarGramma
February 28th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Does that make anyone his own Grampa?

shorte85
February 28th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Nice, pour me a glass!! lol

bkthomas
February 28th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Maybe drinking is why the Family tree doesn't fork so well? ROTFLOL!

Troublemaker! Now play nice!

Meli
February 28th, 2013, 04:57 AM
But wait, there's more!
My father's parents are 1st cousins once removed. According to the relationship calculator, my father and I are related THIRTEEN DIFFERENT WAYS and my brothers are my 3rd cousins. No one is his own grandpa yet, but there is a guy who married a girl who is his 2nd cousin (they are both children of first cousins), his 1st cousin once removed, and his sister is her mother.

Too bad his name isn't Bob...

Well kissing cousins seems right..I think all family trees have their snarls

kensington
February 28th, 2013, 05:11 AM
(Faint)... You can have your family reunion at your house and not even invite anyone else. LOL.

K. McEuen
February 28th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Do 6 fingers and toes run in your family?

bakermom
February 28th, 2013, 06:00 AM
LOL! that's probably true in most small towns. I grew up in a small rural area(Midwest). The locals always said everyone in town was related somehow. One of dad's cousins researched our family history and gave us a copy. some connections we knew about, others............Let's just say it was scary.

Monique
February 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM
What tangled webs we weave.

aliaslaceygreen
February 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Maybe drinking is why the Family tree doesn't fork so well? ROTFLOL! WINNER!!!!!!

MRoy
February 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Meli, I'll be there for cocktails! My dad's first cousin married my mom's uncle and I have lots of double cousins. We figured it up as best we could and determined that we are double 3rd and 4th cousins. By tracing DH's and my family trees, I also learned that a branch of my tree ties in with a branch of DH's tree back in the 1700s. Good grief Charlie Brown!

Blondie
February 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
LOL! that's probably true in most small towns. I grew up in a small rural area(Midwest). The locals always said everyone in town was related somehow. One of dad's cousins researched our family history and gave us a copy. some connections we knew about, others............Let's just say it was scary.

You are sooo right. My Daddy and Granny gave us all a good edjikashun on who to "talk to", who to "walk with" and who to "run from".

lilmouse
February 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Does it say anything if I tell you that my littlest brother was born an Uncle....my mother had him when she was 42 after my oldest sister had her first boy!

MRoy
February 28th, 2013, 09:29 AM
You are sooo right. My Daddy and Granny gave us all a good edjikashun on who to "talk to", who to "walk with" and who to "run from".

I found a few branches on my family tree that I wouldn't mind cutting off. :)

Jess1377
February 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Oye!! Sound to complicated ;) but in the end good to know about just the same.

Lisapc
February 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Time for a confession. My Dad's family is from Nova Scotia and a lot of them are still there and they don't' like the American Parlee's. My mothers family is from Italy, just this side of the Sicilian border.

My Hubby's mother's family is from Sicily, just that side of the Italian? border. His father was adopted from Nova Scotia.

Let's just say that considering the size, stature and coloring of my FIL and my Dad's Dad and whole family and the similarities of both of our Mothers that I believe that my hubby and I are related. Hubby has the same coloring as my siblings and I don't. I have the same coloring as his father and my grandfather.
I can also add that my hubby and my father are creepily alike.

So if inbreeding has been done it is because of us. I really don't want to explore any more deeply.

Meli, you are from one special family.

CrazyMtnLady
February 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeIsxXDyjlc

Well...yeehaw and pass the moonshine!

debinmalaga
February 28th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Ditto, lol!

toggpine
February 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM
All I know is my mother and father were not related. My MIL & FIL are not directly related, except by marriage. I'm not directly related to my husband, so my child should be OK. Beyond that, both family trees have some oddly shaped branches.

MIL had 3 sisters. FIL had 2 brothers. He & one brother married two of the sisters. Brother #3 was told to look elsewhere for a wife! Later it was disclosed that brother #3 was actually the illegitimate son of an unmarried aunt. That's something to find out on your birthday huh? I can't remember if it was his 18th or 21st. Anyhow, he knew before he went into the military.

ilive2craft2
February 28th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I feel better about my family now.... My dad's brother married my mom's cousin, so we saw them at all family reunions - took me a long time to figure it out. My brother and my cousin married cousins.

On both sides of the family (a couple of generations back) we had several sets of brothers/sisters who married sets of brothers/sisters. Those cousins were always closer, since all of them had the same grandparents on both sides! In both families we were the ones NOT included in the brother/sisters marrying brothers/sisters.

I don't know how this is going to look on Ancestry.com once I get to those....twisted branches... :)

Patrice
February 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM
could you repeat that. The only thing I understood was cocktails on friday. I'll be there.

Tanya D
February 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Time for a confession. My Dad's family is from Nova Scotia and a lot of them are still there and they don't' like the American Parlee's. My mothers family is from Italy, just this side of the Sicilian border.

So Lisa, is Parlee Beach in Shediac, NB named after your family or have any connection to your family? I spent many a summer playing on that beach as a kid.

I'm originally from Nova Scotia and my parents are both from New Brunswick. I have a lot of family in NB...in fact, we are the only ones out West.

My mom was born to an out of wedlock mother. My mom's grandmother adopted her effectively making her biological mother her sister but my mom was raised thinking she was her aunt. It was revealed to my mom when she was 20 but she never told her biological mom she knew the truth.

And my dad's oldest sister has a different father then my dad and his two other siblings. My aunt was never accepted into my grandfather's family and was looked down upon and shunned because she was born to a single mother.

kensington
February 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
My moms brother, married my dads sister. They were my double aunt and uncle. That is as twisted as it gets in our family tree. All the way back to the countries the generations came from. I feel so blessed! LOL

Tanya D
February 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
And my mom eventually found out who her biological father was. Turned out he was a very wealthy business owner. He owned a lumber company in Bouctouche, NB. She never told me his name and I never asked...we just never discussed him as he was never in her life. I found out his name when I told my mom what we named our son when he was born (Eric). Imagine my surprise when my mom said "That's my biological father's name". I had no idea!

EnumclawGramma
February 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Oy vey. I think I'm stayin' away from ancestry dot com.

Mchelem
February 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Lets see....... My grandmother's sister, JuneAnn, married Johnny and had 3 kids. Johnny was messing around with JuneAnn's younger sister Mary and got her pregnant. (June Ann and Mary delivered their baby's in the hospital on the same day, several hours apart). Mary and June Ann's children are now cousins and half-siblings. To make matters even more complicated, Mary's parents adopted her baby (Larry). Larry is now the uncle of his half-siblings/cousins and the brother of his mom and his aunt.

To complicate things, Larry married his own cousin (from another of my grandmothers sisters). My head starts to hurt at that point and I just throw my hands in the air and say forget it.

K. McEuen
February 28th, 2013, 06:44 PM
*cue banjo music*

Tamara J Liddell
March 1st, 2013, 12:00 AM
Growing up in a small town in Colorado, I swear I was related to just about everyone.

I used to say that, I was related to half the town and dated the other 3.. :P lol
But I do miss being around my family in Montrose, Colorado.
So yea I can relate to those twisted limbs on the old family tree.

Meli
March 1st, 2013, 12:33 AM
*hands you a mason jar*

*cue banjo music*

New York Sue
March 1st, 2013, 12:36 AM
*cue banjo music*
AH, yea...
How do some double or triple quotes? I'd like to know, really.
But meanwhile, I'll take some of that moonshine, Donna!
This is RICH.

Meli
March 1st, 2013, 12:37 AM
I was on the phone with a customer one day who grew up about 10 miles up the road from where Daddy grew up. We were comparing stories about how closely related everyone is. She said this, in her bright, cheerful, deeply Southern accent:

"Oh, I know what you mean. I told my husband I was glad he'd moved here from Savannah because if he hadn't I'd a-had to marry one of my cousins. He didn't believe me till we had a family reunion and the whole town turned up!"

Growing up in a small town in Colorado, I swear I was related to just about everyone.

I used to say that, I was related to half the town and dated the other 3.. :P lol
But I do miss being around my family in Montrose, Colorado.
So yea I can relate to those twisted limbs on the old family tree.

New York Sue
March 1st, 2013, 12:54 AM
When DD moved back home from her Portland, Oregon six year experience, she settled in well for a bit. Then started dating, unknowingly, a second, or third cousin. (Not my side, don't make me ask...)
High-profile guy. It didn't work out...
Somebody 'had my back' on that one!

kensington
March 1st, 2013, 12:57 AM
WINNER!!!!!!

I know right? "All the girls get prettier at closing time"... even 1st cousins. (Yikes!)

phoots
March 1st, 2013, 01:24 AM
Oh, my! How are you able to follow all that??? Have fun with it!

Pam in Vegas

pcbatiks
March 1st, 2013, 01:43 AM
*cue banjo music*

Karen..........I've been laughing for several minutes over this one!

K. McEuen
March 1st, 2013, 02:01 AM
Grandfather's family came over from Germany. Mom's family were some pasty white people from Ohio. I mean really pale, if I go out in the sun I get 3rd degree burns pale. Luckily I got my coloring from dad's side.

About the only straight limb I know about on our family tree was a cousin of my mom that mysteriously had a son. No one was quite sure who the baby daddy was, but there were lots of whispers. Things came to light when my mom's old uncle Bill died and said cousin contested his will. His wife, my grandma's sister was already dead, so he left each niece and nephew $1500. Seems said cousin wanted it all for her dear, sweet, middle-aged son. I was about 20 when this all came to light, was kinda creeped out that she was bringing it all out in the open when she was in her 70s for a total of maybe $15,000. The best part of the whole story in my eyes was that on the will all my mom's cousins were listed ... people I'd never heard of before. The conversation went something like this ...

"Hey Mom, did you or do you have a cousin named Floral?"
"Yes, she lives in Ohio still."
"Floral got married?" (I knew she had, I saw her name on the will. I just wanted to see if my mom ever snapped)
"Yes, she married Fred Potts."
"Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! You have a cousin named Floral Potts!"

I didn't care that my old, decrepit no-so-great uncle had done his niece at some point and got her preggers. I was more interested in the fact that someone that was related to my mom was named after a garden container.

Meli
March 1st, 2013, 03:20 AM
Floral Potts????? That is hysterical!

I have a g-g-aunt named Queen America Dawson. She went by Queenie. And there was another one named Saphronia Josephine.

I LOVE family history. The twists and turns intrigue me, and the family stories make me laugh.

Grandfather's family came over from Germany. Mom's family were some pasty white people from Ohio. I mean really pale, if I go out in the sun I get 3rd degree burns pale. Luckily I got my coloring from dad's side.

About the only straight limb I know about on our family tree was a cousin of my mom that mysteriously had a son. No one was quite sure who the baby daddy was, but there were lots of whispers. Things came to light when my mom's old uncle Bill died and said cousin contested his will. His wife, my grandma's sister was already dead, so he left each niece and nephew $1500. Seems said cousin wanted it all for her dear, sweet, middle-aged son. I was about 20 when this all came to light, was kinda creeped out that she was bringing it all out in the open when she was in her 70s for a total of maybe $15,000. The best part of the whole story in my eyes was that on the will all my mom's cousins were listed ... people I'd never heard of before. The conversation went something like this ...

"Hey Mom, did you or do you have a cousin named Floral?"
"Yes, she lives in Ohio still."
"Floral got married?" (I knew she had, I saw her name on the will. I just wanted to see if my mom ever snapped)
"Yes, she married Fred Potts."
"Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! You have a cousin named Floral Potts!"

I didn't care that my old, decrepit no-so-great uncle had done his niece at some point and got her preggers. I was more interested in the fact that someone that was related to my mom was named after a garden container.

auntiemern
March 1st, 2013, 03:36 AM
Agreed. Not going anywhere near there. I know enough 'not so good' stuff about Dad's side of the family. I think I am happier being in the dark about all of it. :)

Meli
March 1st, 2013, 03:41 AM
Oh, it's easy! Especially if you graph it out. Family history is one of my hobbies (suffering greatly because of the quilting bug), and I teach it at my church. Lots of fun! If I had the name of your grandparents, I bet I could find out all sorts of things for you.

Oh, my! How are you able to follow all that??? Have fun with it!

Pam in Vegas

nanaleslie
March 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM

Sorry you really crack me up!

NanaB
March 2nd, 2013, 03:30 AM
My great grandmother was my great grandfather's sister. No incest there--my grandmother and grandfather were first cousins! Some of our family tree limbs do not branch!!! There's probably a lot more of that sort of thing if only people were honest about it.

Eliza
March 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread! My Mum came from Tomerong and her parents were number 21 on this chart.

Blondie
March 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM

this is way better than ancestry dot com. And probably more accurate.

HdWench
March 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Wow and more fun to read! My grandmother had her side of the family tree done, it's volumes and really a hoot to read - Barnes family from the Mayflower blah blah.

BUT my grandson is ALSO my brother will let ya'll ponder that!

My mom's sister married her 1st cousin to everyone's dismay and their 2 kids were know to do things like they once burnt an empy school down and other horrible things, mom always said it was from mixing up the family tree hehhee

Eliza
March 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
BUT my grandson is ALSO my brother will let ya'll ponder that!
Wot!?????? :icon_beuj:

madampolo
March 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM
My sister and her husband are both related to one lady on our tree, and that is really odd, but true.

kensington
March 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Wow and more fun to read! My grandmother had her side of the family tree done, it's volumes and really a hoot to read - Barnes family from the Mayflower blah blah.

BUT my grandson is ALSO my brother will let ya'll ponder that!My mom's sister married her 1st cousin to everyone's dismay and their 2 kids were know to do things like they once burnt an empy school down and other horrible things, mom always said it was from mixing up the family tree hehhee

I think I just threw up a little. (Faint)