PDA

View Full Version : Had to share this one. Very touching story!

rebeccas-sewing
February 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Homeless Mans Funeral

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life.

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Nova Scotia back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothing like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Apparently I'm still lost....it's a man thing.

Renate
February 27th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Thank you very much for sharing this story. I have tears in my eyes.

Short befor christmas my father passed away and the funural was the opposit of what you are telling. About 500 people gave my father the last honore. But one thing was the same, his huntsman friends blowed him a last Hallalli on their hunt horns. this was the moment the world stud still and every single person felt also alone with the sound and in the same time very much united.

You are really a great person, doing this for an unknown man, giving him the last honore with your music. You make the world much richer with beeing there.

God bless you
Renate

Renate
February 27th, 2013, 06:53 AM
I cannot find the joke here in Rebecca, maybe my understanding of English is not good enough. and maybe I am a bit sensible with the theme of funurals in this sad times ...

yoyoing
February 27th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Renate .What a great feeling to know your father was so well loved. And what a hornor to know he was respected by his huntmans friends I can just imagine how that must have been so sad but so sweet. I miss my mom so much.

rebeccas-sewing
February 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
OMG girls! This was supposed to make you laugh! I believe my story has back-fired!!!

Klasien
February 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM
It made me laugh, I just saw the whole thing in my head, I think it is really funny!!!!

Eliza
February 27th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Oh dear! Maybe someone needs to explain just what a septic tank is. :icon_rolleyes:

Just to let you know, I DID get a laugh out of it and actually copied it to share.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Renate, a septic tank is a concrete box put outside a home to collect sewage, if the home does not have a connection to a municipal sewer system. A burial vault is a concrete box that a coffin is placed in. They look about the same. Obviously the bagpiper found the wrong concrete box in his wandering around. And we always say in America that men will NEVER. Ask for directions if they get lost!

By the way, the description of your father's funeral was very good. I could feel the emotion of the people who attended through your description.

It is difficult to "get" certain jokes or cultural quirks when reading in a second or third language. You have beautiful written English skills. I don't know if you know this, but I taught English as a second language for the past 7 years. My students often struggled understanding subtle jokes or cultural concepts that were typically American. Or sometimes, they got those, and not the academic lessos! Then, I tore my hair out trying to get those ideas across to them!

lilmouse
February 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
That is so funny, and as I have seen septic tanks put in and know what they look like I totally got the joke! It was so funny!

MayinJerset
February 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Renate, What a lovely tribute to your Dad. May in Jersey

Suzette
February 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM
OMG girls! This was supposed to make you laugh! I believe my story has back-fired!!!

Not at all! I LOVED it! I laughed loud enough that I frightened my cat a little! :D Thanks for a good chuckle to start my morning!!

buckeyequilter
February 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM

It made me laugh...and I understand.

CrazyMtnLady
February 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Rebecca....LMAO.... had to read it to the hubby and he is still laughing and wiping his eyes! Have to copy and paste it onto his forum for his buddies to read.

Renate
February 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Dear Jean and Rebecca,

thanks so much for explaining the joke, now I also can laugh about it. And sorry that I kind of killed your funny story with the one about the "real" funural. But this showes, joy and pain is near together. And it also shows, also with a sadnes inside I am able to laugh.

Big hug
Renate

Genny
February 27th, 2013, 02:27 PM
It made me laugh, I just saw the whole thing in my head, I think it is really funny!!!!

Me too...:lol:

Genny
February 27th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Oh dear! Maybe someone needs to explain just what a septic tank is. :icon_rolleyes:

Just to let you know, I DID get a laugh out of it and actually copied it to share.

I'm actually laughing so hard now that I may have to go change clothes :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

auntiemern
February 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Just about had me in tears til the end.
Renate, you father's service must have been beautiful, and quite touching.

meemeecyn
February 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I must admit I did chuckle when I read the punch line. you had me going! Renate, I must tell you what a joy it is to have you on our forum. You have such a big heart and I can tell by your posts you are a loving and kind lady. Thank you for sharing the story about your Dad. Those of us who have lost our Dads too, understand.
Cynthia