PDA

View Full Version : Mug Rugs

iamdonnamac
December 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Has anyone else made mug rugs? I found them on some blogs, and I love them. They were easy to make, but gave me trouble as I tried to bind them. I gave a set of two to each of my 'quilting buddies'. It was fun to make them, but if I had known they were going to be so contrary, I would have started earlier and not been so stressed.
I enjoyed practicing some machine quilting on these little samplers. Can't wait to move on to my first biggie.

debinmalaga
December 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Really cute!! Your stitching looks great!

craftyladysam
December 27th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Yes I made some too and enjoyed playing with the quilting on them. I had trouble with the binding also. Already gave them away or would have made pics. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley
December 27th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Very cute!! Great job.

Patrice
December 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM
very nice. maybe they are small enough that you wouldn't have to bind them. I think I would try that. just finish them inside out and turn them.

RFREE
December 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
What a novel idea. Your work is perfect. Thanks for sharing with us.

mamaquilt
December 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Has anyone else made mug rugs? I found them on some blogs, and I love them. They were easy to make, but gave me trouble as I tried to bind them. I gave a set of two to each of my 'quilting buddies'. It was fun to make them, but if I had known they were going to be so contrary, I would have started earlier and not been so stressed.
I enjoyed practicing some machine quilting on these little samplers. Can't wait to move on to my first biggie.

those mug rugs are really cute. Do you really have to bind them? Can't you just seam them and turn them inside out? Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, as my English is not very good

Dragonfly
December 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
those mug rugs are really cute. Do you really have to bind them? Can't you just seam them and turn them inside out? Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, as my English is not very good

I guess you wouldn't need to bind them, I have done as you suggested when in a hurry and then stitched around just inside the edge to give a 'finished' look. But if you wanted the pretty contrast of colour as seen on these ones then I suppose binding is the way to go.

iamdonnamac
December 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. I thought about stitching them right sides together, and turning them, but I think they would have been too bulky around the edges, then they would not have a firm foundation for a glass or cup.
Thanks for the suggestions.

SuzyQue
December 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Haven't made any mug rugs, but made about 20 potholders for Christmas. They were pieced blocks on one side. I wish I had been more adventurous on my quilting. You are so right! What a great place to practice quilting stitches! I love your creativity! Suzy Que

Carol_Ann
January 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Donna, your mug rugs are so cute & cheerful. I've never made ones like those. Love the symbols in the centers.:icon_wave: