PDA

View Full Version : The Oscars

Hulamoon
February 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I grew up in a really movie family. My dad's father was a camera man during the early age of Hollywood when the sets were all side by side. My mom was in some films when she was a little girl. Think Shirley Temple hopeful (her mom thought so, long story there). I have some of her movies on video. But I don't have a player anymore. :( My,mom, two uncles and aunt were in plays too. etc.

My mom used to wake me in the middle of the night to watch a movie with her. I Think when that started I was six. During King Kong I was hiding behind the chair. lol But her favorites were musicals. I just watched Singing In The Rain a couple of day's ago for the umtheeth time (is that a word?) So I was thrilled with this year of the tribute to musicals!

Okay I'm a dork. lol

Love that Argo won. Way to go Ben! Didn't get director but you sure showed them!

aliaslaceygreen
February 25th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I loved all the musical tributes stuff too, and funnily enough, just pulled Singing in the Rain up on Youtube for Layla to watch...
That said, I really wish Lincoln had won!!!

Ginny B
February 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I love the musicals. Love the old movies too. How cool that your mom was in some movies.

I didn't see too much of the Oscars but I did see some of the performances and enjoyed them. I like that Argo won too. Amazing story.

Ginny B

Lisapc
February 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
When I was a little girl (born in 1970) everyone called me Shirley Temple. Must have been the cheeks. Anyway she is one of my favorites and I was sad to find out she did only a couple of movies when she was no longer a child.

I love old movies. They are truly the best.

GuitarGramma
February 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I, too, am so glad Argo won. I'm astounded, because it had some tough competition. Not only that, but we actually saw it in the theater -- we never see the Best Picture winner! I loved how Be Afflek (sp?) dedicated the movie to his wife and kids in the credits, who has EVER done that?

Hulamoon
February 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Do you think Argo got voted because Ben got bypassed for director? He seems well loved, so maybe that's why it won. My mom had a friend that was an acadamy member and got to watch all the movies because they send them out for the votes. Darn her for not inviting me! Oh wait, I moved to hawaii . lol

shannonsaulter
February 26th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I was lucky last night to get the front lobby post at the prison so was able to listen and watch the show...Loved Le Mis and the musical tribute was great! I love old movies my two favs are Gone with the Wind(yes I have read the book) and Harvey with Jimmy Stewart Pooka anyone..lol

Hulamoon
February 26th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I read Gone With the Wind when I was a teen. Then watched the movie. If I remember right Scarlett was nicer in the book. lol

Blondie
February 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Love musicals as well - but my favorite two movies of ALL time are:
Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace

I can still laugh like it is the first time I have ever seen them.

Musical favorites? Hmmm. Music Man, Singing in the Rain, Oklahoma, West Side Story and . . . . so many more

I was lucky last night to get the front lobby post at the prison so was able to listen and watch the show...Loved Le Mis and the musical tribute was great! I love old movies my two favs are Gone with the Wind(yes I have read the book) and Harvey with Jimmy Stewart Pooka anyone..lol

rebeccas-sewing
February 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I just hope all our young folk have been introduced to these old films. I've certainly made sure mine have seen them. They, too, now love old movies. One of their favorites is "Breakfast at Tiffany's." These films really need to stay in the forefront for all to cherish for years to come. I also come from a family hooked on the classics. Whenever I'm home to visit my family (just my sis now) we always watch lots of old movies, musicals, etc. We never tire of them.

I'm happy to say I saw many of the movies that were up for Academy Awards. When I was home recently a friend and I went to the movies almost every Friday afternoon so I got to see quite a few. I just wish I could've seen the Oscars. Gosh, I wish every year would be so packed with good films. Some years there's nothing really worth seeing. This year was outstanding!