PDA

View Full Version : Wakey, wakey it's Sunday

Monique
February 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Good morning all of you lovely friends. How has your weekend been? Yesterday, hubby and I took our good friend out for breakfast and then went to 2 auction sales. We did not stay long or buy anything. There was really nothing we couldn't live without. I quilted most of the afternoon and downloaded lots of episodes of Grey's Anatomy to watch later. I need to get caught up with that show.

Are there any fans of curling here? It is a huge sport here in Canada and we have been watching with great interest. Ontario beat out Manitoba last night and it was an awesome game. Amazing what those curlers can do. If anyone is interested I believe it is on the TSN network. The Scotties Tournament of Hearts is being played in Kingston, Ontario and next year it is in Montreal, Quebec. Thinking of going next year.

We may go to another auction sale today and then stop in for a birthday surprise at my friend Donna's place.

Have a great day everyone.

CrazyMtnLady
February 24th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Good Morning everyone.

Curling is not a big sport down here in the lower 48. But today is the Daytona 500 NASCAR race. I am so bummed because I cannot get the FOX channel here so I won't be able to watch it. I could follow it on the computer on a lap by lap read out. But DH wants to go to walk around a gun show today in Lebanon, MO and wants me to go along...so no NASCAR for me :( :( :( They had a horrific wreck at the Nationwide race there yesterday. I always hate to hear about those.

The only good thing about going with DH today will be a chance to go out to eat. :)

Looks to be the start of a sunny day. So I will strap on a smile and enjoy the day.

Hugs and prayers to all.

stitching woman
February 24th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good morning all, we are getting ready for round two of the snow storm they are calling for another 6 to 12 inches starting tomorrow. That on top of the 9+ inches from the last one and I may not get out for days.

I have some projects started so will work on those later day. Have a great day and be safe.

MayinJerset
February 24th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hi, Another sleepyhead awake this sunny Sunday. Slept away most of yesterday and am finally feeling rested and over my cold. Don't follow curling or NASCAR so skipping tv today will be no problem. Just hope DH is feeling better so I can get him to go out for lunch or something. We've both been pretty much housebound the past 2 weeks with our colds and I think getting out in the fresh air will do both of us a world of good. Might be a good idea to open some windows while we're gone and get some fresh moist air into the house.

Been so inactive I can't remember where I put my lighthouse block project, need to work on it as it's due in a week or so. Been off coffee while I had my cold but right now I could do with a nice big mug. 40840

DCM
February 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone. My day involves grocery shopping in the morning and our monthly trip to Sam's this afternoon. So exciting - not :) I hope to work some quilting in somewhere. We're supposed to be getting more snow early this week -- I either hope we get enough to have a whole day off work or nothing. Happy quilting!

ChristineB
February 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM
The sun is shining so bright this morning - I love it!
My hubby is not feeling too well this morning; he started feeling very ill yesterday! Sounds like the flu or something!! It will be a day of rest for him, which will be weird because he is rarely sick.
Yesterday he was talking about watching NASCAR today, so now I think that will happen from the couch!
I will be out getting our groceries for the week and I will sneak a stop at the fabric store to buy a ruler - I need a big square ruler for squaring up some blocks - either a 12" or 16". I have been working on a small quilt for my daughter and it would be nice to get the top completed today!
Have a great day everyone!

MRoy
February 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Good morning! I woke up with a headache...too much excitement yesterday I guess. :) Caffeine and Tylenol should do the trick. Monique, I've watched curling on TV and think I'd enjoy seeing an actual match. It's so different from the sports we have here. I'm a GRITS (girl raised in the south) but I've never been a NASCAR fan. Some would call that southern treason.

Blondie
February 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Happy Sunday Folksies!

Yep, it's me. Unusual for me to get online on Sunday - been up since before the crack of dawn and up late last night. Reckon I will want a nap later. I just got back from my dear sister's house. Her favorite little quaker birdie, Max, died this morning. She is just devastated. I must admit to shedding some tears as well. Such a smart and happy bird, he was. I always called him my flirty birdy. Jan, I know you will appreciate the emotions, as he was such a smart and talkative fella, putting sentences together from words he knew. We were never sure of his age or actually his sex, but when she bought him, he had been "rescued" from a person who had Parkinson's and could no longer care for him. He was a perfect fit for my sis and she was definitely his person.

Mom's gout is doing better. I don't think hers was a food flare up; she is a very careful eater but I do think hers is because she is always pushing wheelbarrels of wood to her house when no one is around. Too independent. Everytime I go down there she has just brought wood up. Can't wait on anyone. I will be so glad when winter is over. It just seems that whenever she overdoes, she gets a flare up. Her body will tell what she's been up to, even when she stays mum.

I had crazy dreams last night. Dreamt about our Jenny and our Ruby. Nutsy dreams; but entertaining. See, even in my sleep I am a happy camper! I was showing Jenny how to sculpt a doll face over a gourd and then I showed her how to make a doll quilt that would be a perfect match for the doll. lol. And Ruby! In my dream, she and Don showed up at my house, and we were sorting fabric scraps. I betcha we would do that in life, not just dreams. And I kept telling Don that he looked like Cesar the Dog Whisperer. Where in the world do dreams come from!

Today my middle son will be coming home for a birthday bash. I am making roast beef, mashed taters, green beans, corn, gravy, rolls, etc. Last night I made him a delicious looking carrot cake. My cakes are never pretty but this one is passable. Do you think anyone cares how lopsided my cakes are? I am certainly not the cook or baker my sis is - it all tastes better than it looks, hahaha. At least my son will know that it will be a treat for him, since he loves, loves, loves carrot cake.

Monique, I have only watched curling a few times on a sports channel and really don't understand it. The only sport I really follow is football, thanks to Daddy. I can handle baseball, but it is rather boring. If I was a man, I would like to play football.

Okay, folksies, I do have some cleaning to do before the kids arrive.

mom4him
February 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
No curling here. I think we will have a pretty relaxed day at our house. I have a house guest that is quite chemically sensitive so won't have the string of neighbor kids in and out. They will all get to play outside in the snow. LOL I am hoping to get to quilt a bit this afternoon but if now will probably watch a movie with my friend.

I actually enjoy days like this because I don't feel I HAVE to do anything other than cook.

Bubby
February 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Good Morning,

I've been sick all weekend, but DH has been taking good care of me. I go to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully he will give me some strong meds to kick this stuff. I seldom get this kind of stuff.

We will watch NASCAR today. We saw the big wreck yesterday at the Nationwide race...so sad.

Okay, I'm done being sociable for the day...gonna crawl back into bed and revert to my cranky self!

I'm much nicer when I'm well....Hugs, Barb

Roxanne
February 24th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Not into Nascar. Don't think I've ever seen curling. I'll probably do some cleaning and sewing. I'm working on a scrappy trip around the world quilt. Hubby feels the need to go to the cabin for some alone time occasionally so he is going this afternoon after church and staying til tomorrow evening. I love the cabin too but in the winter there is no running water and the only heat is space heaters. Not for me. I'll go when the weather warms up. I love having him around but I'm glad he is ok with us spending time alone too. I actually get to touch the remote when he isn't here :) I have some movies picked out on Amazon Prime that I want to watch. He would call them chic flicks so I can watch without the satire. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday whatever you are doing.

BellasQuilts
February 24th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Good morning everyone! Great day yesterday. DD had to write a story for the paper about the greyhound group in town, so DH and I packed up and went with her to watch Reagan while she got her interviews. DH I swear is morphing to Huell Howser. He was chatting it up with everyone and reporting back to DD with what he found out. I do love that man! Greyhounds are great dogs. Guess they sleep 23 out of 24 hours, are great pets for condos, etc. These were all rescues from the dog races and certainly pampered pets with their little fleece coats and blingy collars on. DD came back to the house and I am teaching her to sew. We made an apron yesterday ala Jenny's tute and she said, "Mom, I think I have a new hobby! I'm having so much fun with you!" - Music to a mom's ears. DGS was getting rowdy in the jumper and squealing the whole time. I think he enjoyed the day as well. Love and hugs to all and prayers for them as need them.

SuzyQue
February 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM
We are deep in the mess here.....kitchen remodel that has taken over the house! The dining room is full of boxes of pots and pans and flour bins. The kitchen has the stove in the middle of the path and plaster dust lovingly cleaned up, but lingering in the air, it seems. The basement has a temporary kitchen set up, so lots of trips up and down to just warm up precooked meals. Trying to clean here is like brushing your teeth while still eating Oreo cookies! Good news......the plaster is down and we have supplies on hand for the next phase. Today we add another electrical outlet, move the tv cords into the wall, and put up cement board for the new tile. Tomorrow the template guy comes! Give us another couple of weeks.......we will be nuts by then or living with a finished kitchen!!! And to think we remodel at least one room a year.....times 21 years.......you would think we would be done by now!!!

No sewing, no quilting, just school and working on the house for now. I hope to sneak in some time this week in the evenings to keep up with the quilt along, but we will see how it goes. Enjoy it for me..........for now!

CountryHut
February 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM
- Gooooooood Morning everyone : )

yesterday was a great day . . went down to the local upholstery -- the owner was selling off her stash of quilters fabric at $2.00 a yard and 50 cents for a fat quarter -- so I picked up over 50 yards of some great fabric . . and she gave 2 tapestry sample books -
so I guess I will be washing some of that fabric today and get it ironed and folded and ready for many many uses .
then work on the mini pillow wreath - a friend of the SIL - her mother is going home in a few days so Tuesday will be girls night out
this month -- I'm making the wreath for the friends mother - she and I have such a great laughs together -

well . . my baby boy was 35 yesterday *reminiscing about the blizzard of '78*~ ok now -- I dn't feel a bit over 32 myself . .
its the body that is in pain at times . . LOL*~ . . . anyway . . I guess my son thought since it was his Birthday that he could pop the big question to me and hubby -- about borrowing our truck and 5th wheel camper . . . I never laughed so hard in my life . .
and then told . . well reminded him that there are few things in life you don't loan out . . your vacuum cleaner, your carpet cleaner,
your sewing machine, your hand mixer, your bread machine, your welder, your lawn tractor just to name a few and you darn
sure don't loan out your dually and camper -
so I told him about a 5th wheel camper that was up for sale around the corner from us -
when he stops in . in a day or two on his way to Venice, he'll check out the 5th wheel . .
it would be a great starter camper - his truck would pull it without any issues . .

everything is budding out so quickly here - my sinuses have gone wild - when the pecan trees start to bud -- then spring will
have sprung . .

aaaaaw the sport of Curling --- I've heard of it - I've watched it on the news and you tube -- but the only curling going on here
is the de-curling of my hair . . I have so many curls - for me to flat iron my hair -- with it so long -- it takes me almost 2 hours to straighten my hair -- I could put Shirley Temple to shame . . LOL*~
BLONDIE . . do you even de-curl someone's hair? -
when I want long silky hair -- once in awhile I'll pay someone to de-curl me :|

well off to rustle through the big bag of fabric I picked up yesterday and get some of it washed
and finish off the wreath . .

ya'll have a great and wonderful day

lots of hugz, thoughts, and prayers to all in need

aliaslaceygreen
February 24th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Good morning all! Sunny and not a sign of the "staggering amount of rain" that an article on CNN called for in the southeast--as of yet...
Grocery shopping, some vacuuming and sweeping at the least are in the list for today, as Layla is staying over tonight....

If there is hockey, I am sure it will be on, as DD is home today trying to finish her midterm paper... Have to get myself back into the rhythm, I go back to work on Wed.... Foot aches this moment, but has been pretty good if I leave shoes on....

Take care, all!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
My SIL is a total NASCAR fan! He watches every race, and goes to a number of them that he can get to. He make a FB post yesterday about the crash, and even though he gave no details, his friends all knew he was talking about the race! It can get exciting, especially at the end. I've been known to watch one or two on Tv, maybe because he was in the room, but it can be interesting. As for curling, it seems to be a Canadian thing, US folks only get to watch it when some ski star or snowboarder isn't defying death on the slopes and there seems to be a lull in the action. It looks like shuffleboard on ice, using big tea pots, is that the concept?

Mostly, though, I'm entertained in my sewing room. Today I'm going to search for fabric for several costumes for a play I'm working on, I need to put the quilts aside for a couple of weeks and get these jobs finished, I think I have 2 weeks left before total crunch time.

Snow is going to be sticking around for a while, I fear! The kids have had fun in it, now it is all crunchy and in big clumps so it is not good for sledding, snowman making or even snow angels, just good for making ice balls, and the parents will put a stop to those kinds of snowball fights! It could make an awesome igloo, should some enterprising youth want to take on that task. Streets are clear and dry, so the weatherman is predicting some more frozen precipitation in a couple of days. Oh boy, was that groundhog on drugs or what? Seems like we're going to have to wait a bit longer for spring! It's already been three weeks, and spring shows no signs of appearing!

buckeyequilter
February 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Good morning...

-
well . . my baby boy was 35 yesterday *reminiscing about the blizzard of '78*~

My son will be 35 in October....the blizzard was in January...'nuff said.

I'm working on my placemats this morning, putting the binding on them now. Then I will finish them up by hand along with the table runner. I have the fabric cut for my curtains all I have to do is the hems and such.

I really need to clean house (or hire a maid)....so I guess after I get all the bindings on and the curtains ready, I will clean.

Well need to take my meds and get back to my sewing room.

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

auntiemern
February 24th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Good day all. Another full day with the grands today. They have had a blast the past 2 days playing in our frozen tundra, sliding down the driveway. Can't make snow men or snow angels cuz it is quite hard. It just crunches under your feet. Scares me half to death to walk in it to get to the truck, (big 4x4 that I have to climb just to get in it) to do what little driving I have been doing. My mini van has not been out since Wednesday. Thank goodness I have had help getting Bubby in and out of the thing.
Haven't managed to get ANY sewing done since Thursday, and today is iffy. The joys of being a Granny :)
Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need, even if ya don't know it :)

debinmalaga
February 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Good morning all! Sunny, breezy and COLD here in WV, but supposed to get up to 47 degrees. I'm so happy to have the sunshine! By this time of the year I feel like I live in darkness, going to work and coming home without much sun, and of course our share of winter weather on the weekends. So a sunny day is like Vitamin D straight to my heart and soul, even if I can only enjoy it from the sunbeams coming in the windows.

Mike and I have developed a lovely Sunday routine since we moved here; one will make a super breakfast while the other cleans up, then I usually clean house (a snap in our little house) and do laundry while he does biz paperwork, then free time, either out and about or napping and tv watching, very laid back, then I try to make a nice dinner and to bed early to start the work week. "A Sunday well-spent brings a week's content" indeed!

Now that I've recovered the physical and emotional zest to add sewing back into the mix, I certainly did whip through the housework with a lick and a promise (the promise being to do a super clean next weekend, lol). Going to fill all the birdfeeders and then seriously dive into my stash and pick out fabrics for a tote, then fire up the machine and do some practice stitching. Only real sewing goal for the day is to warm up on the machine and pick a pattern and fabrics, and maybe have the fabrics cut by the evening... not overly ambitious.

Hugs and warm thoughts to you all, whether you're sick or well, grocery shopping (I miss Sam's here!) or fabric shopping (no LQS's that I've found, but then MSQC has always been my fave source!!), kitchen remodelling or sewing room devising... and of course, sewing!

For any that caught my post about horrible stomach bug knocking out my children in NJ, they are all better - but it's a vile virus, so look out!

Deb

toggpine
February 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Still here.
Still stitchin'.

Claire Hallman
February 24th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Beautiful sunny Sunday here and it is supposed to go into the low 60s, yea!
I have a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering away and our DS, DIL and baby Emma are going to come and eat. My BIL will come and meet Emma for the first time, he has been under the weather the last month and didn't want to spread his germs before.
This will be her first visit to Gramma's house and we are looking forward to it. We did get to see her both Friday and baby sat last night so her folks could go out to dinner to celebrate my DS's first real paycheck from his new job.
No sewing for me here today but tomorrow I will get back to work.
My DH made a quilting guide for my walking foot machine yesterday and it is working pretty darn well, nice to have a former machinist in the house.:D

bakermom
February 24th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Feeling lazy today. We went to mass last night so DH could go to a sportsman's show with DS and BIL today. Once I wake up enough I will head out to my mom's and take her some cookies i baked yesterday. at 90 she's picky about what she eats except when it comes to sweets.
We don't usually watch NASCAR but we were yesterday and saw the wreck. That was awful to watch. said prayers for those involved.

shannonsaulter
February 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Good morning everyone! Now curling isn't big here but have seen it...my day is family then work..
I finished a surprise for someone here and got it in the mail..now the nail biting
Begins...being new at this I hope she likes it..stay tuned..
Hope everyone has a great day..and enjoy!!!

Sandy Navas
February 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
My turn? I feel like a zombie this morning. Did get to sleep late, and like Blondie, my sleepy-time was filled with vivid dreams - one of the most outstanding was rescuing a large white Macaw who told me he worked as a bartender for a local physician. The doctor was most gracious that we'd rescued his parrots so gave them to us because we had a huge cage next to the bus stop and people could talk to them. Then I ran off with Leslie Prudence - a cowboy with a glittering smile . . . anyone know him? Al told me it was okay though.

Making adjustments with increased household members is taking its toll. Al and I sat and talked this morning and agreed that it is going to take adjustments all over - the greatest of those being the fact that no matter how hard they try the little ones always leave something hazardous to old folks lying in the middle of the floor. No one keeps the kitchen clean and organized like Nana does . . . and then just how much junk do we really need? Believe me, it isn't complaining. We'll never be sorry for this decision.

No curling - only curling I'm familiar with is what I used to waste my time doing to my hair. No NASCAR - to noisy. Hate the accidents. Can't sit still long enough to watch all those cars circle around a track . . . and since I'm not there rev'ing my engines . . .

So, I'm off to entertain some widdle dirls and have a wonderful, fun-filled family day.

Lindagie
February 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Yesterday tried to finish a rag quilt and broke a needle; still don't know how. We watched two of the grandkids last night, so it was a nice break. They are 6 and 3; both were little angels I have to say. DH and I are both feeling lazy today, and I should vacuum the rugs and mop the tile floor before I do anything else. The dog does not like the crunchy snow, so she finds muddy areas to do her business, SOOOO she has to get her paws wiped off every time. After I refill the bird feeders I am going to work on our new grandson's quilt top. He is due in about 3 weeks; if he is on time he will arrive before the quilt is finished; won't be the first time that has happened though. Right now I am having my second cup of coffee and feel like taking a nap already, but I won't.

Oh, no curling here; just Illini basketball and Blues Hockey this season. Both teams have been full of surprises so far; makes it all interesting!

Lisapc
February 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I slept until after 10 am again. I woke to two starving Peter's. They remembered that I promised them pancakes this morning. So they got them.

I had a great evening with the family. The kids were crazy with me, crafty with my daughter Brenna and saved the relaxed cuddling for hubby. He always gets the cuddling. They were so tired they never even snacked.

Brenna spent most of the few hours she was here looking at the Quilting Quickly magazines and just can't decide on a pattern for a quilt for herself. She has claimed my tone on tone white charm and the red charms from a swap for her quilt but I just confused her with the terms of charm quilt versus using another cut. I just told her to pick a pattern and we will work around it. She wants to see what I make everyone else in the family before I make her one. I think maybe I will just make her what I want her to have and let her see it in process. She is bound to claim something I make in the colors she loves.

My granddaughter spotted some blue fabric with tiny stars on it in a drawer. She then told me that she wants her and Peter (my 8 yr old) to help me make a special quilt for the fireworks. We go to the next town over to watch the 4th of July fireworks, have a picnic and enjoy all the free stuff for kids every year. This past year she complained about Papa's scratchy blanket she was sitting on. So now I am thinking with my son jumping on that band wagon that I have to add that to my must do list. Really? I am never going to get any work done with these kids and their creative ideas around. I love it!

I love seeing all the new members lately and find everyone here so inspiring. Too many ideas, too little time.

Happy day to all and Blondie, so sorry for your sisters pain. Losing any living thing we love is a loss that should be honored.

NanaB
February 24th, 2013, 06:33 PM
But DH wants to go to walk around a gun show today in Lebanon, MO and wants me to go along...so no NASCAR for me :( :( :(

Donna, You and I should find a gun show mid-way between Missouri and North Carolina for our hubs to meet at. We could then spend that time together finding a quilt shop!!!

toggpine
February 24th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Whoo Hoo! I finished the quilt! The binding is all done. I took photos before I washed it, just in case something wonky happens in the wash machine! I'd share, but I can't upload photos to either here or my blog :icon_angry:

One of these days I'll put them all on the USB drive and borrow someone's computer and catch everything up.

Next project: a stuffed giraffe for Em.