PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Hellos

Blondie
February 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM

Good Morning! It's a brand new day! It's raining here, cold dreary wet unpleasant stuff, many are still snowbound, some lucky ducky are already experiencing mild spring weather - I am choosing to focus on the pleasant rather than the obvious . . . I have a client coming in around noon who I have not seen in quite a while - she and family moved back to the area to take care of her Mom; while I am sorry that her Mom is needing live in help, I am delighted that Lynne called me to do her hair. How nice I create my Saturday schedule. Let me explain. I believe in the Delayed Gratification Theory. You know, where you do all the rotten undesirable chores at home, work, first, getting them out of the way so that you can enjoy the rest of the best. My Fridays are filled with my cranky grouches, out spoken, loud and hard of hearing, nit picky, gossip mongers, and mind numbing aggravaters that I would personally like to line up in a long row and walk down said row and slap each one soundly. And I would like to tell a few of them that their paltry 10 bucks in not quite enough by far to put up with them; however it is an evidence of God's grace and mercy towards and for them that I even continue to do their nasty hair. (Okay, you can tell yesterday was a rough day)
Now, Saturdays! I have a few standing appts and leave the rest available for my favorites - we can lock the door if necessary, make a fresh pot of coffee and enjoy each other while receiving the balm of therapy that a good wash, cut, color, blow dry can produce.

Running late. . . hubs definitely has a cold. Mom's gout has flared up because she is not a compliant patient, it's raining, but in my heart the sun is shining - I am seeing a few people today who know how to be happy. Oh yeah, I am SMILING! Hope that you can schedule a few smiles, giggles and snorts in your day!

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Good morning.....

Hope you have a wonderful day Blondie. Gout.......ouch....I feel your mom's pain and I hope it clears up quickly.

We had a dog get skunked this morning....got her all scrubbed up so we'll let her dry (on the porch) and if she still smells a little skunky we'll probably do the wash again.

But for now I'm getting ready to go to my sewing room to get the binding on my table runner and make the placemats. I also need to get some photos of some stuff and then do thank you cards. Then I think I'll do the dreaded cleaning of that room.

Hope you have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 23rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
An encounter with a skunk by the dog, now there's a wake up call if I ever heard one! Hope you had enough tomato juice to make the dog fit for human companionship again! Is that what you do to wash them? I've heard it works!

Blondie, I think you need to raise your prices! To have to deal with all of that for $10, Oh boy! Of course, I know you won't do that, but that certainly isn't what I pay here in the city!

I had the most fun day with my grandkids yesterday. Of course they wanted to play in the snow, they got two shots at that. First time out was for shoveling, making snow angels (actually turned out to be a snow dragonfly, because the snow was crusty, and they had to pound their limbs into it to make an impression). Second time, they just deligited in picking up huge boulders of snow and tossing them, just pure delight in the white stuff. Of course, the adults just wish it would go away, but the kids had a blast! When we were inside, the boy was on restriction from playing video games. Bt he managed to keep himself occupied because he is very interested in origami, and we chose some very exotic patterns to do, he could figure them all out. We played cards, and I found a game called Pass the Pigs, which we played over and over with the two of them. It was just plain kid fun, very little battling between them, so the day passed quickly. But I was wiped out when they left. so it was sleep in the chair, then sleep in the bed, with a little bit of sewing in between.

Hope you all have a great day!

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2013, 09:21 AM
An encounter with a skunk by the dog, now there's a wake up call if I ever heard one! Hope you had enough tomato juice to make the dog fit for human companionship again! Is that what you do to wash them? I've heard it works!

Tomato juice masks the smell but doesn't get rid of it. We use vinegar, baking soda and dish detergent (which neutralizes the scent) followed by scented dog shampoo. If we have to - we do a second application.

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Blondie, Wish I lived close enough for you to do my hair and hoped that I'd make a good Saturday afternoon client.

So dark and gray out this morning, no beautiful glowing sunset like the other day so I know snow or icy rain is on the way. DS#3 and kids are supposed to be winging their way from CA to MASS today, hopefully well before the big storm. They are headed to Logan, same airport our Cyndi is supposed to leave from this afternoon. Hope they all are happy flyers today and get where they need to go.

No coffee yet, DH is still sick so I'll leave to make some so I can start my day. Hugs, May

PS: Got a call that someone wants to buy one of my quilts that is on display at local library, quilts by my guild's members are the library's "artists of the month". Never thought of selling my quilts so I have to come up with a price for each of them.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Just in case it happens to an animal in my life, I know now what to do! Does the dog fizz up when you put the vinegar and baking soda together (remember making volcanoes in science class by putting those two things together!) One of my friends had an addition put on their house, and in the garage, they put a shower pan and shower head on a hose, JUST FOR THE DOGS! But they live ini the country, and it actually was a very good idea to add this! JUST IN CASE!

Monique
February 23rd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Good morning everyone.

Oh Blondie, I am sorry you had a rotten day yesterday. I sure wish you could do my hair and I would be a good client.

Shirley, what a busy morning you have had. Will the dog learn to leave the skunk alone. Enjoy cleaning your sewing room.

May, how wonderful that someone wants to buy your quilt. But, will they pay what it is worth? I hope you get what you want for it. And don't price it too low either.

Jean, playing with the kids is fun, glad you enjoyed your day.

I quilted all day and stayed in my jammies. Today I will get dressed and go to the post office and send out my mug rug to my secret sister. We are expecting a little snow today. I won't be doing much of anything the rest of the weekend.

You all have a really wonderful weekend and I know I will SMILE! cause Blondie said so. LOL!!

cyndiofthevortex
February 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Off to Mexico for a week! Bye bye!

stitching woman
February 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Good morning all, Not any big plans for the day but do hope all of you have the best day ever

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Off to Mexico for a week! Bye bye!

Have a safe trip and have fun!

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Just in case it happens to an animal in my life, I know now what to do! Does the dog fizz up when you put the vinegar and baking soda together (remember making volcanoes in science class by putting those two things together!) One of my friends had an addition put on their house, and in the garage, they put a shower pan and shower head on a hose, JUST FOR THE DOGS! But they live ini the country, and it actually was a very good idea to add this! JUST IN CASE!

I doesn't actually fizz up on the dog....may be because of the dish detergent. We do the first scrub with the solution outside and then into the shower with a hose for dogs. In the summer we can hook the hose up and use warm water outside on them.

Good morning everyone.

Shirley, what a busy morning you have had. Will the dog learn to leave the skunk alone. Enjoy cleaning your sewing room.

I seriously doubt it....this is the 3rd time this one has been sprayed. My DD's cat looks like a skunk so I don't know if she might think it's the cat.....or what she thinks.

Ginny B
February 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Happy Saturday everyone. Gray and dreary morning here. Rain/snow/yuck mix on the way but I will smile. It is Saturday! :icon_bigsmile: Blondie, I hope you have a wonderful day today with all the people you are looking forward to seeing. Sorry to hear
about your mom's gout though.

Cyndi, have a wonderful trip. Which reminds me, we have to go get the papers to renew our passports (never got to do it last weekend - the P.O. was closed by the time we got there - they changed their hours). Shirley, what fun this morning! Poor dog. :icon_neutral:

Jean, it sounds like you had a fun time yesterday. It brought thoughts to me this morning of how much I loved going over to my grandparents (dad's side) and my Nanny's (mom's side)when I was a young girl. My German grandma and grandpa were very much into growing flowers, etc. and my grandpa used to sing to me; grandma did embroidery. Nanny was always knitting or crocheting something. I still love gardening and the handwork that Grandma and Nanny did always fascinated me and they were more than happy to teach me. Unfortunately, my Grandma and Grandpa died when I was still young but Nanny was with us much longer and I still loved going to visit her, having some tea and seeing what project she was working on and maybe sitting and crocheting together for a while even as an adult.

Congratulations May on the interest in your quilt. How wonderful.

Ok, off to get the errands started. Like Blondie, I hope to arrange all the not-such-fun-stuff early in the day and then get some time in my sewing room. It does need a bit of straightening up but we'll see if I get to that part. Tomorrow dh is going to play his guitar with some friends so I will have quality time with my fabric then too. :)

Have a terrific day all.

Ginny B

MRoy
February 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Good morning! Enjoy your visit with your friend Blondie. Shirley, I'll have to remember your dog cleaning recipe, DH's dog got skunked last summer and we don't know if he learned his lesson or not. Cyndi, enjoy your trip!

It's cold and cloudy here today. Getting ready to bundle up and head for the auction shortly. I may be an iceberg by the time I get back home. Have a great day!

Lisapc
February 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Cyndi: Have a safe, relaxing and fun filled vacation!

Shirley: One of my biggest fears is having one of my dogs skunked! The horror, oh the horror.

Blondie: You are a dear sole to care for that group of old women for such a cheap price. You are putting more good out there.

I am awake because I woke up for like the 9th morning in a row with horrible lower back pain. It will take me an hour or so before I can take a deep breath. I woke up so that is a good thing.

My hubby and I watched a couple of shows we had DVR'd last night and went to bed late. The little guy was up late but they are both still asleep now. I hear movement so someone is about to enter my quiet world.

My daughter's tailbone (old car accident injury) is aching and throbbing. Maybe the beginning of labor or just more fun pregnancy pain.

I looked at the sky when I took the dogs out this morning and it is one huge cloud. A storm is coming but depending on the channel you watch for weather it is either leaving us with 6-8 wet inches or 12+ fluffier inches. I hope it is the fluffier stuff because the roads will be cleaner faster in case we have to go to the hospital later.

I have been sewing like crazy which feels good. I spoke with my friend/partner last night and she needs 4 more veils. I will do them next week. I might even have enough tulle to get them done. I just got some more white embroidery thread so I am covered with that for a while.

Happy Saturday to all and I have already said a prayer for all of the forum members and their family and friends that need some comfort today.

CrazyMtnLady
February 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Good Beautiful Sunny Saturday morning to you all. The sun is shining and the birds are hopping to and fro around the bird feeders. The critters are all laying around me as I sit here in the bed so all is well! :)

Had a nice visit with my neighbor Laurie last evening. Her and her DH came over for a short time. She is still taking her mother's passing pretty hard (she passed on Jan 1). I told her that it will take some time, but when she felt ready to pick out a few of her mother's cotton blouses, dresses...etc and I would be happy to make her a lap quilt as a remembrance to her mother for her. I showed her my COC quilt I received and she loved it so I may use that pattern and make her a COC quilt.

No big plans today..may make another batch of easy no knead bread. And turn some of dough into Cinnamon Rolls.. Maybe! :)

Have a wonderful day...Hugs and prayers to all.

Genny
February 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM

Good Morning! It's a brand new day! It's raining here, cold dreary wet unpleasant stuff, many are still snowbound, some lucky ducky are already experiencing mild spring weather - I am choosing to focus on the pleasant rather than the obvious . . . I have a client coming in around noon who I have not seen in quite a while - she and family moved back to the area to take care of her Mom; while I am sorry that her Mom is needing live in help, I am delighted that Lynne called me to do her hair. How nice I create my Saturday schedule. Let me explain. I believe in the Delayed Gratification Theory. You know, where you do all the rotten undesirable chores at home, work, first, getting them out of the way so that you can enjoy the rest of the best. My Fridays are filled with my cranky grouches, out spoken, loud and hard of hearing, nit picky, gossip mongers, and mind numbing aggravaters that I would personally like to line up in a long row and walk down said row and slap each one soundly. And I would like to tell a few of them that their paltry 10 bucks in not quite enough by far to put up with them; however it is an evidence of God's grace and mercy towards and for them that I even continue to do their nasty hair. (Okay, you can tell yesterday was a rough day)
Now, Saturdays! I have a few standing appts and leave the rest available for my favorites - we can lock the door if necessary, make a fresh pot of coffee and enjoy each other while receiving the balm of therapy that a good wash, cut, color, blow dry can produce.

Running late. . . hubs definitely has a cold. Mom's gout has flared up because she is not a compliant patient, it's raining, but in my heart the sun is shining - I am seeing a few people today who know how to be happy. Oh yeah, I am SMILING! Hope that you can schedule a few smiles, giggles and snorts in your day!

I think you need a hug....(((((((Hug)))))))

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Good morning! Enjoy your visit with your friend Blondie. Shirley, I'll have to remember your dog cleaning recipe, DH's dog got skunked last summer and we don't know if he learned his lesson or not. Cyndi, enjoy your trip!

Some people use peroxide also...but since our dogs are black, I didn't want to take a chance on bleaching their fur.

GrammaBabs
February 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
just stopping by quickly.. to say BLONDIE.... YOU ARE ON THE EXPRESS ELEVATOR TO HEAVEN!!!!!
Ten buck.... OMG... i'm picturing you doing a line up of 2 or 3 in the shampoo area... going from one to another while they all BS with each other and hardly say a word to you other than some "gripey" thing... like an assembly line.... these are the "old" ladies,, right???? The ones who have not seen a price increase for over20 years???? hummmmm
Send them here to Middleboro MA.... where it's the "country" and the price of about 25 bucks for a haircut (not inc. tip of 5bucks, which i would never do any less).. is the price... If they get into Boston,,, the cuts start at about 100... rediculous...
That's why,,, i wear mine STRAIGHT... blunt,,, long enough to put a pony on top of my head,, and stick on a hairpiece...LOL
The face is enough work ,,, that takes about 3 min....... :)

KathieB
February 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Good morning everyone! It's also gloomy here in Southern Maine and it's beginning to snow flurry- a sign of things to come. We're (DH and me) are on our way out to run some errands in NH. Wishing all of you a pleasant weekend with lots of sewing and visiting with friends and family.

Cyndi have a good vacation. Jean, I'm not sure I'd like to deal with a skunked dog first thing in the morning!, but MAYBE that's not as bad as the dog messing with a porcupine late at night, twice! I really rather they do neither! Lisa, hope you're GD arrives soon.

Well, we're off. Have a good day.

BellasQuilts
February 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mom says that rotten days help you appreciate the good ones more. I am doing that today. Feel good, pup is healing up. Sibs are taking the watch to help mom (DB and SIL are staying with her for 6 weeks; other sis will be going back to stay with her again for several weeks when they leave, it is so wonderful everyone is helping out. What a relief. I am the worry wart so I am more relaxed now that we have a plan for mom. Hugs to all and prayers for those as need them.

auntiemern
February 23rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
Good morning quilty friends. Blondie, sending you you hugs for the day you had yesterday. Shirley, hope you don't have to rewash the dog. Cyndi, enjoy your trip. Jean, glad you had a fun day with the grands. We had ours from about 3 on. Had them spend the night since they had to be here today anyway. We have enough of an incline on our driveway for them to sled on, and boy did they have fun. DD got them these mat things for Christmas that work really well. Even Bubby likes to get in on the fun. He will only go with one of the girls though, he doesn't like flying solo, lol, and needs help back up the little hill. We will have all day today til around 8 this evening. That means, not much sewing or quilting.
Took plate off machine and gave it a thorough cleaning. Hoping that helps with the skipping stitches. Didn't get a chance to check it out though I had to hide that project ;). Off to go check on the other posts. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

shannonsaulter
February 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Good morning all..Blondie you can do my hair I need a cut and color...have a box waiting for my days off...
It's yet another work day for me am trying to get motivated but am still on the couch..
After my coffee may feel better...

Lonna
February 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Good Saturday Morning to all,

Blondie bless your heart for taking care these older Ladies. Cyndi enjoy your trip oh just the thought of laying in the sun soaking up the warmth. Marilyn enjoy those little ones what wonderful memories you are making for your grandchildren.
Things here a quite today I really dislike working on days like today. I may have had three or four phone calls and one person come in to make next months payment. Which leaves me here thinking about all the diffrent things I could be doing if I was at home. Only another 2 1/2 hours to go and then home to sew. I think today I will give the zigzag table runner a try.

Have a great day Ladies.

NanaB
February 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Late day hello from me. I spent the greater part of the day sewing with a friend and my sister. Blondie, we were kind of in your neck of the woods--near Danbury. I worked on clearing out some of my scraps. I made 4 "Scrappy Trip Around the World" blocks (a la Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville). I think it will be a quick way of moving some of the clutter out of the sewing area. I want to get some things out of here so I can bring more back from Paducah in April!!! Ulterior Motives, you know! Hope everyone stays warm and dry. It is chilly here, but the rain has stopped. Supposed to warm up tomorrow. I'm SO ready for spring.

aliaslaceygreen
February 23rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Oh, Blondie, that just made me LAUGH.... but with you, beside you, not at you.... I feel your pain...
I hope I too, would be a Saturday Appt....
(can you imagine having gotten your hair done at Blondie's once, and calling back to set up a new appt? If she penciled you in on Friday, what she must think of you! LOLOLOOL)
It was dark and rainy and I got myself up and at things later than I meant... Headed off to quilting all day... didn't take the machine, but fabrics to cut up for a few projects on my list...
Now, I am home and it's just plain chilly...

bkthomas
February 24th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Dear Blondie, I need a haircut very badly - will be there next weekend with cake - put the coffee on and for good measure I will bring cookies and donuts too - and for the health watchers maybe fig newtons?!!!

....because I know when people find out that both of us will be in the same place at the same time they will ALL want to be there too!!!

lilmouse
February 24th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Blondie, sorry you had a rough day yesterday...we all get them now and again...love the complainers...I have some people that come into the restaurant and I swear they make a bet who can put the server in tears first....I don't bite that bullet...I like to kill them with kindness...sometimes it works and sometimes it makes them even worse! Some people just love misery! I am not one of them! I hope your day today was much better! I hope your mothers gout goes away quickly...I am guessing she ate something she shouldn't have...my best friends husband does that all the time and then moans and groans..she doesn't fall for that at all; tells him ahead of time you are going to pay for that and I don't want to hear about it either!!!! But when it is you "Mom" what can you do?
My day has been spent trying to keep the modem working for the phone lines....it keeps going down and we don't know how or why! Everything I have tried has failed and then all of a sudden it goes back up! I hate gadgets that I don't understand and this is one of them...a friend is going to come by tomorrow and see if he can figure out what is going on and fix it! He will also clean up my laptop for me and maybe corral all the wires under the computer table...drives me crazy...such a mess!
I am heading for the sewing room to see what I can get done....everyone have a great evening and see you tomorrow..for those in path of storm you are in my prayers!

New York Sue
February 24th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Dear Blondie, I need a haircut very badly - will be there next weekend with cake - put the coffee on and for good measure I will bring cookies and donuts too - and for the health watchers maybe fig newtons?!!!

....because I know when people find out that both of us will be in the same place at the same time they will ALL want to be there too!!!

I will bring some Bailey's Irish Creme.
This week sucked. Sorry for the 'profanity'....
I just need my eyebrows waxed, a smidge of BOTOX, and a collagen filler.
We're good, right?