PDA

View Full Version : TGIF?

Blondie
February 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM

Happy Friday Folksies!

Hmmm, Let's find something to be happy about - well, besides it being Friday; for a good part of the U.S., schools are closed or on delay, folks are getting their tax refunds (since I haven't filed yet, I can't be happy about that one), and oh yeah, spring will be on the way. Really, truly. I do like to see the snow. It looks so pretty with the peeks of moonlight through the clouds shining down. And I am telling myself that this is Winter's Last Hurrah.

My prayers are with all of our peeps in the midwest - from what I have seen on the tv, y'all really have been walloped with the snow. And ice. And wind. I woke up this morning to about 2 inches of snow! Surprise. We were expecting only icey mix. So the snow looks pretty. School is on a delay, I won't be going in until this afternoon, so I may just crawl back into bed and be lazy. I don't think there will be enough to make a snow man. Or snow angel.

I am actually going to make some time to practice some FMQ. I am finding that some days are better than others. Like my hands, or sewing machine knows when to stop. I am trying to figure out which is the best speed and etc. On my old machine it is a challenge! How thankful I am to have that old machine! I don't want a new expensive fancy pants computerized machine - too much to go wrong with it. I just want an old work horse, like me!
Off to read to see who has checked in; if you are in the cold blast area and have your power, please let us know you are okay.

Blessings, prayers and SMILES for everyone.

buckeyequilter
February 22nd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Good morning....

The icy rain is coming down here now. I told DH to go on to work and let me know what the roads are like. I'm at least waiting until daylight to head out. I don't like driving on this and really don't like driving in the dark on this. A lot of the schools that were on a delay are now closing. I don't have much to do today anyways...just filing so I'm not in a big hurry (or taking a risk) to go file.

Well I think I'll get a shower and see if I head out or not.

Have a wonderful day! Hugs and prayers to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Good morning! We're going to be recovering from our snow wallop today, but the schools are still closed, so I get to be Grandma today. Yesterday, their mom was home sick, so they stayed with her. Today, mom needs to get in at 7, so I'm getting them.

I heard some odd noises yesterday around supper time outside. A guy from the neighborhood had a snow blade attached to his ATV and he and his son were cleaning off driveways and sidewalks. Since my back just spasmed at the thought of a snow shovel,
I signed on as a customer. So, i think I can get out of my driveway if necessary. Hope it isn't necessary. Very painless, only to the pocketbook.

I'm working on another chevron quilt, got two of 7 chevrons sewed together. It will be a hoot when it is finished. But napping with a warm cat on my lap took precedence over sewing yesterday.

Hope everyone is safe and have a good day!

Bubby
February 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Good Morning,

Just checking in the let you know we're okay after the weather yesterday. We still have snow and lots of ice and wind, but it's no longer sleeting, hailing or snowing, and for that we're thankful. It's plenty cold and a very good day to stay indoors.

I managed to catch what Jeff had for two weeks...fever, cough, congestion, etc. I feel like poop and the doctor doesn't have an opening for two weeks...not that I could get there if an appointment was available. The roads are bad and our private road is not maintained unless we do it ourselves. I think I will drink lots of tea, take Mucinex and try to rest. I seldom catch these things, so it must be my turn.

I hope everyone who iss going be be slammed by "Q" today is safe, indoors and warm. My prayers are with you. Jean, glad to hear you're okay...Marilyn, I hope you are, too! Blondie, it will soon be Spring!

Hugs All Around....Barb

MRoy
February 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Good morning! We were spared the blizzard and ice, it's 45 degrees here now. I'm glad because I have to travel for work again today.

If all goes well, I may have a new (to me) sewing room tomorrow afternoon. The estate auction with 5 sewing machines that I mentioned in an earlier post also listed a 12' x 16' insulated building to be moved. DH and I went to look at it a few days ago. LO and BEHOLD! it's already set up as a sewing room with a huge hand-built cutting table and built-in shelves! I have a bid in mind that I'm willing to go up to. Prayers that I have the winning bid tomorrow are appreciated.

MayinJerset
February 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hope our mid west pals are doing OK with all the snow. We're having a beautiful sunrise and skies look bright and clear. Our bad weather is expected tomorrow with icy heavy rain with maybe some snow. We have a pillowcase sew in scheduled for tomorrow morning but don't think many guild members will venture out if the weather is bad. Did someone say Spring is coming? I guess not yet.

Barb, I'm just getting over what you have and I did the same as you plan, tea and toast and cold pills and lots of rest on the couch while wrapped in a big quilt.

Myrna, Good luck with the bid on a new sewing room.

buckeyequilter
February 22nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
DH went to work and said the roads are an absolute nightmare and told me to call in and take 1/2 day vacation because it's only going to get worse this morning, for a while.

deedum
February 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
I am going to head in a bit early to work this a.m. I would rather stay home and play in my sewing room today, but who wouldn't :)
Roads here are snow covered and icy, yuk. Yet it is Friday, so off I go. Everyone have a great day.

Granny Judy
February 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Myrna, good luck with your bid... fingers and toes crossed for ya.
Bubby, Don't forget to take those vitamins, too. Hope you get to feeling lots better in a day or two.
Jean, I just can't believe how fast you get those quilts going.. Have fun with the kiddies today.
Shirley, glad to see you are safe and indoors for the morning.... Enjoy it with some special time for yourself.
May, Glad to see you here this morning.. Waving Howdy at ya.
Blondie.... Soooo it is FMQ time for you? Have fun and enjoy the process. I have a speed control on my 2nd machine and it helps tremendously-- all I have to do, is concentrate on the hand movement. #1 machine is a work horse, no frill sweetie but I never could control the speed.

If I missed anyone this morning, I apologize... I'm still trying to awake up and get this day started. We didn't get hit too bad with the snow.. wind wasn't bad, but we are in a protected area with surrounding hills and houses. Closer to the river they had horizontal snow. Everyone is going to work today at our house. I'm making chilli and corn bread for supper. (and finish cleaning the wash room: a couple more loads of clothes and I can sweep the floor)

Prayers to all and hugs going out also.. Stay warm!!

Renate
February 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Dear Blondie,

Finding something about what I am happy is very quickly: I am happy having you in my life. You have so many good questions and thoughts, bringing my heart and brain into swinging. And you where the first one welcoming me in this forum.

many regards and a big snow bear hug
Renate

Monique
February 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Good morning! We were spared the blizzard and ice, it's 45 degrees here now. I'm glad because I have to travel for work again today.

If all goes well, I may have a new (to me) sewing room tomorrow afternoon. The estate auction with 5 sewing machines that I mentioned in an earlier post also listed a 12' x 16' insulated building to be moved. DH and I went to look at it a few days ago. LO and BEHOLD! it's already set up as a sewing room with a huge hand-built cutting table and built-in shelves! I have a bid in mind that I'm willing to go up to. Prayers that I have the winning bid tomorrow are appreciated.

I hope you get it Myrna.

Roxanne
February 22nd, 2013, 10:23 AM
We were supposed to get an ice storm starting around 5 this morning. Got up expecting to see a mess, but nothing yet. Looking at the radar it appears that the storm is breaking up as it gets here so doesn't look like we are getting much. Yipee! I charged up the kindle last evening just in case we lost power. My plan for the day is to go thru my scrap bin and make a few of the scrappy trip around the world blocks. I love this pattern. Someone on here mentioned it and I printed it out. I love scrappy. Looking forward to making it. Everyone, have a great Friday and be careful if you have icy, snowy roads.

Monique
February 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Well good morning all. I had another quiet day yesterday. I did get out for a dentist appointment. Did not do much for the rest of the day. I am starting to feel better, the pain in the chest is not so bad today. Tolerable anyway. I don't have much else to report. Everyone take it easy today.

dwil23
February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Just got all the garbage and recycling out to the street and it is a beautiful spring day here. Unfortunately for us, that means summer is coming early. I guess that's another thing I can count as a blessing when it comes to working the night shift. I am sleeping most of the time during the miserable heat of the day. I will go back to work tonight to begin my week. I did get through a mountain of paperwork on my desk and threw away 98% of it. It's been replaced with one of those great little $20 Ott Lites that Granny Judy(?) brought to our attention a couple of weeks ago. Love it. Well, more cleaning and stuff to do before taking a nap this afternoon. Not looking good for quilting today. Boo.

Hope everyone is safe and warm and has a more productive day than I will!!

pcbatiks
February 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Good morning...........Myrna, the building sounds interesting. I hope you have the winning bid! Hope everyone stays warm and dry......for those that aren't feeling well........get some rest & hope you feel better soon. Sorting more books today........the church that is having the sale got a call a few days ago.........a 91 year old lady is donating her library to the sale. We are going to see and sort those today. Wishing all of you a great weekend!

Shirley
February 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone! WE received 14 inches of snow. Wow! I'll be staying in again today. I'm working on a table runner. Fun!
Take care out there everyone!

Lisapc
February 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Good morning all.

If you are experiencing the storm or in the middle of clean up, good luck and stay safe. The storm is headed here tomorrow afternoon. Cyndi is getting on a plane for a vacation so as long as it holds off until she is well on her way she should be just fine. We are still on baby watch. I am so inpatient.

We got all the errands done yesterday so I get to sew, relax and cook and bake today. I am actually feeling like some homemade peanut butter cups. The Peter's love them so why not.

Have a happy day and when you wake up you have a reason to be happy. Your still here!

cyndiofthevortex
February 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hi all. I am getting what the family next door have - a bad cold or the flu, though I did get a flu shot. I am going to fly out to Mexico tomorrow if they have to drag me! We've all been praying that DH and I don't get sick and are able to enjoy this rare treat, a vacation at a beach resort. We would never be able to do this kind of thing if it was not a gift to us.

Myrna, I especially look forward to hearing that you won the room and have an awesome place to sew in the future! I do hope you'll get it.

I also have a special prayer request for a family member in crisis. I can't share the details but God of course knows. Thank you.

aliaslaceygreen
February 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Good morning! I see that snow-sleety-icey messy is supposed to show up here too, but so far no signs of it.... hope that everyone dealing with it is being safe!

I am walking pretty well....well, from the coffee maker to the computer wasn't bad at all, although I realized quickly I hadn't put on a new bandage and the stitches and the socks and the top of the shoe got into a little altercation.....eek!

But. My Sanita shoes saved the day yesterday! http://wellnessshoestore.com/sanita-clogs/sanita-clogs-blue-saphire-clog/
Because they are firm, I didn't bend at the toe too much and made it through the majority of the quilt show before really just feeling burnt... (saved some money, surely, by tiring out, no?)
LINK to the quilt show photos....
http://smu.gs/YHCXaA
Only bought 3 yards of fabric, but OH, so pretty.... two spools of silk thread and some paper beads made in Ghana....
So, this is my last weekend before going back to work Wednesday, think I need to make it worthwhile....

Have a great day!

Sandy Navas
February 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Good Morning!

I feel we've been very lucky in our little part of the world, because we actually only have about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. I know a whole lot of places were closed, kids home from school, work hours cut - but here I sit all snuggled in, safe and warm.

I guess it is about time I let the cat out of the bag. I have some very close friends who feel I am crazier than a loony-goon, but after much discussion with DD and the family we have agreed to have them move in with us. They will sell their home and hopefully their equity will be enough to finish paying off our mortgage here. Unfortunately today's economy makes us fear for our retirement funds and the kids have had a drastic reduction in income. So on top of everything else we are slowly making adjustments to the noise, the confusion, the moving around, who cooks, who cleans, who picks up . . . and sometimes I feel as if I am the middle-man (hate that job). We have a very large place so there is room here for all. Al has been down since before Christmas with a bad back (ruptured disc), and I'm getting older every day. Just keeping up the yard work has been a chore for us the last couple years - we mow over 6 acres - and the older girls have been trained to mow. The most difficult part of this will be combining two households - it's going to be time-consuming and gut-wrenching, I'm sure. I moved things out of a closet in the upstairs hallway so the girls would have room to hang their coats and snow pants. I told DD that I would get the rest of the stuff out soon and she asked me why I even had it in there . . . in other words, "Mom, why are you such a pack rat." And you know what? I can relate because it hasn't been that long ago that I was thinking the same thing about clearing out junque at Mom's place.

And so, I guess you will find me in an occasional funk - but I cannot begin to tell you how great it feels to have a little one come and need a cuddle and a hug, or to bring a special picture or card they have made just for me. Now if I can just find volume controls on each of them.

So, since I have been blessed with some of the most beautiful little girls in the world, I'll see if I can get some snow to pack and have a snowball fight with them.

Special prayers, warm wishes, tasty dishes, hugs and laughter. I'm smiling

http://www.allgraphics123.com/graphics/smile/smile29.jpg

CrazyMtnLady
February 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Good Morning. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm. It is really windy today. The freezing rain is gone. This morning around 5 when I let TarButt out the stars were shining and the icy ground was glistening.. It was really pretty.

Prayers for those of you that have asked for them.

Did a little sewing yesterday. But got into watching our DVDs collection of the old TV show Northern Exposure so I got lazy. It is hard to get into sewing right now because we haven't completed the kitchen cabinet and the front room is a mess and I have no room to lay out my quilt to sandwich.

Have a safe and happy day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

aliaslaceygreen
February 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Well, Sandy...there you have it.... hugs all around at any time of the day or night that anyone needs one... All you need to do is make sure everyone has their VERY. OWN. time out corner that they can retreat to when needed.... Start by making out yours, and let everyone else in on the idea after you have carved out your sanctuary!!! Good luck and how lucky all those girls are to have you!

Claire Hallman
February 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Wow Sandy, you are one brave lady. When you all get into a routine hopefully it will be wonderful to have your family with you. Other cultures do this all the time, I don't quite know why we Merrycans feel the need to be so far apart.
Good luck with this adventure.

auntiemern
February 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Good day all. We survived the sleet/snow yesterday. Will go get the youngin's later to spend the afternoon and evening here, sledding and playing with Pa. Myrna, hope you get the building. For those that are getting hit today, and due to be hit with this nasty storm, stay safe and warm. Sandy, God Bless you for your decision. Make sure you have time and a place that is just for you though. Everyone needs a little uninterupted down time. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

shannonsaulter
February 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
GM all its only 1/2 way through my work week hoping the next 3 days are a smooth as the beginning of the week..
Hope everyone has a great day..

debinmalaga
February 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
How exciting!!! Good luck with your bid!

debinmalaga
February 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Wow, Sandy, that is HUGE NEWS! Although I know there will be ups and downs, I'm confident you'll handle everything just fine. Congrats are in order, I think - especially once you find those volume controls
;)

Good Morning!

I feel we've been very lucky in our little part of the world, because we actually only have about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. I know a whole lot of places were closed, kids home from school, work hours cut - but here I sit all snuggled in, safe and warm.

I guess it is about time I let the cat out of the bag. I have some very close friends who feel I am crazier than a loony-goon, but after much discussion with DD and the family we have agreed to have them move in with us. They will sell their home and hopefully their equity will be enough to finish paying off our mortgage here. Unfortunately today's economy makes us fear for our retirement funds and the kids have had a drastic reduction in income. So on top of everything else we are slowly making adjustments to the noise, the confusion, the moving around, who cooks, who cleans, who picks up . . . and sometimes I feel as if I am the middle-man (hate that job). We have a very large place so there is room here for all. Al has been down since before Christmas with a bad back (ruptured disc), and I'm getting older every day. Just keeping up the yard work has been a chore for us the last couple years - we mow over 6 acres - and the older girls have been trained to mow. The most difficult part of this will be combining two households - it's going to be time-consuming and gut-wrenching, I'm sure. I moved things out of a closet in the upstairs hallway so the girls would have room to hang their coats and snow pants. I told DD that I would get the rest of the stuff out soon and she asked me why I even had it in there . . . in other words, "Mom, why are you such a pack rat." And you know what? I can relate because it hasn't been that long ago that I was thinking the same thing about clearing out junque at Mom's place.

And so, I guess you will find me in an occasional funk - but I cannot begin to tell you how great it feels to have a little one come and need a cuddle and a hug, or to bring a special picture or card they have made just for me. Now if I can just find volume controls on each of them.

So, since I have been blessed with some of the most beautiful little girls in the world, I'll see if I can get some snow to pack and have a snowball fight with them.

Special prayers, warm wishes, tasty dishes, hugs and laughter. I'm smiling

http://www.allgraphics123.com/graphics/smile/smile29.jpg

Monique
February 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
Wow, Sandy, that is HUGE NEWS! Although I know there will be ups and downs, I'm confident you'll handle everything just fine. Congrats are in order, I think - especially once you find those volume controls
;)

Sandy I agree with Deb. You and Al would not be doing this if you did not think that you could handle it. Hugs to you my friend.

Blondie
February 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hi Everyone
Just getting home from work - tomorrow will be another busy day - I wound up going in earlier than I thought so I was able to convince some of the old gals to come in since there was no ice on our roads. In town where I work there was not even a dusting of snow - it looked like a hard frost, while at my house we couldn't see the grass. Go figure. We always get more than the town folk do.

Myrna I am saying a prayer right now for you and have my eyes, fingers and toes crossed too for good measure! Best of luck!

Trish - laceygreene, don't overdo yourself! I mean I KNOW you are just dying to get back to work with the idjits just to laugh at them but really, be careful.

Sandy, I personally feel that this is the best resolution for everyone involved. Houses were meant to be filled with families, and that includes pets and kids - that can be interchangeable, lol, but I do think that despite all the adjustments, mood status, energy levels, you shall all be in a better place. And I also think those GK's really need the structure you offer. You know I loves you and keep you in my daily prayers - don't forget that "getaway". Meet you there!

Okay folksies, off to make some tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. Hubs called and is under the weather. My Mom's gout has flared up again and I need to go feed her. Sis is also under the weather. Good grief, I need a mask to be around my family today! I will be mainlining Vitamin C and B complex PLUS more, to be sure!

MRoy
February 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the good wishes and prayers everyone. I drove by the auction site on the way home tonight. The cutting table has been moved outside, so it probably won't be sold with the building, but I can still bid on it. It's the building that I really want, I've got a long table that I can make taller with PVC pipe for a cutting table if necessary. I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much so I've tried not to think about it this week :)

Wow Sandy that's quite a change, but I'm sure you and Al have given it a lot of thought and prayer and know it's right for all of you. If I could have my DS and grands living here with us, I'd do it without a second thought.

debinmalaga
February 23rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
About to go to bed, but had to ask y'all - have you heard much about this new stomach bug? It's a different virus than the one that this year's flu shot is for. No one around me has had it, but two of my three children in NJ got it, and boy are they SICK. All tummy symptoms, body aches, slight fever, extreme fatigue, and did I mention the tummy symptoms? To the maximum degree, apparently - my poor daughter Paige hasn't had food or fluids stay put for three days now, and I told her that if it tomorrow comes without significant improvement she will have to go to the hospital for fluids, I'm sure. The onset of this bug is fast - you go from fine to incapacited in a couple of hours and it's highly contagious.

Stay healthy, everyone! And please keep Tony and Paige in your thoughts for me!