PDA

View Full Version : So it's Thursday already

Blondie
February 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

Thursday? How did that happen. With all the fun company and then all day in the city with Mom, I have lost my sense of direction for this week. Oh well, life does go on and I will get where I am supposed to be eventually.

To all of our members in the path of this storm, all I can say is WOW. It looks mammoth, assuring me that some of you may be using this opportunity to sit and quilt. We here in my area are looking forward to some wintry mix and then rain. At this point I will settle for just plain rain. I am so done with winter. Yuck. I am ready for spring NOW. It is almost enough for me to see daffodil, iris greens peeking up. And oh man the other day I saw the most wonderfully huge flock of bluebirds in my back yard. I have never seen that many in my entire life much less that many at one time. They have been flocking at Mom's and Sister's as well. I love to listen to the birdies sing.

Have a wondeful day everyone. Be safe, warm. Be kind to all you possibly can. And of course, you must smile. It is the first and last act of each and every day for me!

CountryHut
February 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM
G'morning
Blondie . . I love hearing the birdies sing early in the mornings -- reminds me of Easter morning when I was a child
when we see the yard filled with Robins and the Pecan Trees start to bud out -- Spring will have Sprung . . . right now the
Dogwood Trees are Beautiful . . I love my Dogwoods : )

I will spend the morning finishing up a few Sundresses for one granddaughter - when they are finished - then we'll start on the UFO's
hopefully get a few other started and finished around the house

everyone have a super and wonderful day

quilter.martha
February 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Morning! I love to hear to the birds sing as well. We haven't had that in a while here :( Once we start spotting robins I know that spring is soon to arrive. We keep a bird book in the kitchen so we can identify all the birds that visit our yard. Love it!

Just saw the storm on the weather report. Wow! I guess it is heading this way for the weekend. That means I get to snow blow, as my DH has left for a trip to Haiti. He's been there 3 times previously, working with an oprhanage. He is their "Mr. Fix It Man". He loves to help them out.

So everyone out there in the path of this monster, keep safe!

buckeyequilter
February 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Good morning....

We're seeing some robins here....so spring is on it's way but it sure is taking it's time.

Getting ready to head out for work in a few minutes. When I get home today I will work I will finish up the table runner and this week-end I will work on placemats. Then back to my UFO's.

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

HdWench
February 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM
Good Thursday Morning all!

Well, we were surprised to get snow here in Arizona (brief and fleeting), and it's not the norm for this time of year.

Nothing compared to what is heading to you, my friends up north so sending warm wishes that you all stay safe and warm, and sure hope you have lots of fabric.

Debbie

Iris Girl
February 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning people
will be glad to see our first Robin of the year....winter ugh... yesterday was class day for me and lways a fun day when i get together with my quilting girls. everyone is caught up on their blocks now and 2 girls made cushions to sit on. Got home and my first set of comic boards was here so zi went right to work organizing . Didn't take long before i was out of boards , but I got thru one box that was the fruit/brown/neutral box. well they worked well so I guess I need to order more and get through the next 10 boxes , how nice to open the lid and see what I have without digging. becareful if your in the storms path, behave and be happy. today for me is regular work day. have fun all.

Bubby
February 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM
We had robins in our yard yesterday, but we are bracing for the big storm that they have named "Q" to hit here later this morning. We are as prepared as we can get. I'm hoping the worst of it misses us. In 2010 we were so iced in we couldn't open our doors for three days...talk about housebound and we had no power for three weeks....a real mess! We don't have buried power lines, so when things ice up we are often without electricity.

Hugs to Everyone, Barb

MRoy
February 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Good morning! When I was leaving the house yesterday morning it was very cold but the birds were singing like springtime. I've seen several bluebirds this winter, more than usual. We're supposed to be getting rain later today and tonight, I hope the freezing rain stays north of us like predicted. No sewing this week, I've been beat when I get home so supper gets prepared and that's about it.

We're having sack lunches at work today to support my co-worker's Relay for Life team. Looking forward to that. Have a great day!

stitching woman
February 21st, 2013, 08:49 AM
Good Morning, what a lovely morning here in the Midwest. We are waiting for the snow to start to fall expecting 8 to 15 inches depending on the weather forecaster you are listening to. So today we will stay in and stay warm. If you are in the path of the storm stay safe and have a great day.

Granny Judy
February 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Good morning everyone... No real plans for the day.. just fiddlie work with templates and sewing. I'm putting a casserole in the oven for tonights meal and working at the laundry. It's piled up again. ?? It is only 3 grown ups messing up clothes, but we generate enough for a family of 8. (don't ask me how I know that unless ya wanna hear of wash days during the 50's with a wringer and clothes lines).

Oh, well a day of keeping our two sets of machines working will have that mess of dirties gone and everyone will have their choice of outfits to wear again. (yes, we have 2 sets---mine and theirs)

As for the Storm, we are expecting 4 to 6 inches of snow with icying on top... I have NO plans of going out in it at any time.. DD & her hubby will be home from work before the worst of it hits.. Got my smile on and ready to tackle the monster clothing pile.

DCM
February 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM
We have no clue what we will end up with after the storm is finished -- I don't mind snow but don't want any ice. I was hoping for a day off work to quilt :) but no such luck since it hasn't started yet. Have a safe and happy day!

Renate
February 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Dear Blondie,

your picture comes at the right time. This morning i got up really early at half past five to be ready traveling to one of my clients. I was there in time, also there was a lot of trafic and roads under construction. It took me 2 hours to go there. I humped all my sample sets of eyewear frames into his store, presented everything and his answer was (you must know, HE invited me to come): I think I don`t want to buy anything today. Of course I said "thanks for your invitation to show my goods and if you are not ready for buying anything it does not matter". But you can imagine that I was not very happy about that waste of time and costs. So I asked him very kindly, that next time he changes his mood in the morning, he is allowed to call me and cancel the appointment.
I cannot understand how less respect anyone can have for his business partner. I never would be late more than some minutes, because I know my clients reservated time for me and don`t like to wait. And that guy wasted 5 hours of my time, half the tank of my car and that for nothing. You can imagine that I thought about all the beautiful things I could have sewed in this time.
But now, seeing your smily picture and beeing here with you all, THAT MAKES MY DAY!
Thanks for it

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hi, we are bracing for the big storm to come our way, almost all of the schools are closed, including my former college, which never shut down! But the streets are dry, the sun is visible and no precipitation yet! So the kiddies may be getting a lucky snow day, with NO SNOW!

I bought a new vacuum cleaner the other day, a Dyson (my 12 year old Dyson finally broke enough parts off to make me buy a new one). It is called AirMuscle for Animals, I sucked up half a cat in my first pass through the house! Disclaimer, it HAD been a while since the old Dyson bit the big one! Glad to be back in the business of vacuuming without worry if the machine would quit. Mine always give up the ghost 15 minutes before company comes for Christmas, where I don't have 2 hours to take it apart to try to make it work again! Hey, if I get another 12 years out of this, I'll be in a nursing home and won't have to vacuum anymore.

Want to work on another zigzag quilt today. I have tons of blocks already made, but decided to enlarge it to a full bed size quilt. I had to travel to a way far away WalMart to get more of the focus fabric. It will be wild and funny, I think it will be a hoot on the bed!

STay safe everyone! Hope you are all braced for the storm, such as it is. It's on its way to eastern MO, so I guess we'll get it sooner or later today. Happy quilting!

grannyann
February 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Good morning. I sure hope this storm is not what they say it is going to be. I have tulips up about 2 ". And it is wonderful to wake up and see it is light out again. Pretty soon it will be time to change the clocks ahead.
Maybe this storm coming later today will be the last big one before spring arrives.
Today my 5 year old great grandson gets 4 baby teeth pulled so I hope the little guy does ok.
Have a good all and stay safe , healthy and happy.

CrazyMtnLady
February 21st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Good morning everyone. It is a little icy outside but at the moment we are having Thunder, Lightning and Rain. But according to the radar there is more on the way. I do believe areas around us have had some pretty nasty icing and having snow. For some reason our little area seems to get missed when it comes bad weather. Which is fine with me.
We have been getting lots of backyard visitors and yesterday DH took a lot of pictures out the window of all the different types of birds and even the squirrel that were visiting. Here is just one.
http://i46.tinypic.com/23wpfed.jpg

I love watching the birds and we always have bird seed out there for them. I can't wait for the Hummingbirds in the spring.

No definite plans for today..just watching the weather. May try to get a little sewing done.

Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

MayinJerset
February 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Been a little out of it the past few days and didn't know about the big strom out west, need to check to found out what will be doing here on the east coast.

Beginning of the week I saw a bunch of robins all twittering away around the trees at local supermarket, hope some spring like weather follows. Question - what would a group of robins would be called? A bunch of geese are called a Gaggle, but that's all I know.

Granny Judy I loved your posting, "we generate enough for a family of 8. (don't ask me how I know that unless ya wanna hear of wash days during the 50's with a wringer and clothes lines). " I remember all too well as we were a family of 7. I used to have my younger brothers and sisters hang small items like socks on low clotheslines while I tackled sheets and clothes on the regualr clothes lines that were attached to a 3 story pole in our back yard. My mother wouldn't change her wringer washing machine for a new automatic one, that is until her arm got caught in the rollers. I think we have big washes nowadays because we discard our clothes after a short wearing. I remember that we kids hung up our afterschool clothes at night and wore the same ones all week long. At the end of the week my brothers' jeans would stand up by themselves. May

dwil23
February 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
Spring has sprung here - the oak trees are starting to bloom and that means those with allergies/asthma are grabbing their inhalers. Blondie, enjoy your daffodils for me. Daffodils and pansies are my favorite flowers, at least I can have some pansies here.
Don't have to go anywhere until I go to my son's baseball game tonight. It is about 45 minutes away and I understand that there is/was a quilt shop near there. Have to check it out. I think today I will tackle the MOUNTAIN of paper work on my desk. Yuck. Maybe tomorrow I can sew. Please say a prayer for my quilting partner-in-crime's Dad - he has been in ICU and they aren't quite sure what is wrong, but it is cardiac related.

Martha- that is so wonderul for your husband to do what he is doing - God Bless him!

To those in the way of this storm: stay safe! Don't go out if you don't have to. Hope you don't loose your power and can sew the storm away. Hope everyone has a Blessed day!

Cathy F
February 21st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Morning All!

We've had a robin here for part of the winter, what's up with that? He should have migrated. I don't know what he's eating with all the snow on the ground. I do have bird feeders out all year round but that's not his forte. I love watching the birds and this year I have a red headed woodpecker for the first time. I have the small downy ones all the time but never had a big one before, I love seeing them!

Our weather forcast is maily rain with some flurries, so I'm hoping it stays that way, we still have so much snow on the ground. I hope everyone rides out the storm that's coming their way and is safe.

I haven't sewn in a few weeks, I have 3-4 blocks to a new quilt that I started a while back but haven't touched it since.Time to focus and start again. My heart is in a better place now with the return of my pet's ashes, knowing he's back home I'm ready to move on if that makes any sense to you. I'm also going to concentrate on the group projects and catch up on what I haven't finished.

Extra hugs to all that may need some today.

bakermom
February 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
That storm should be hitting here Friday. I'm hoping it wears itself out by then. In the meantime i have enough projects lined up to keep me inside for the weekend.
My adventure of the day is going out with DD to get GS's pictures taken. Should be interesting.

Sandy Navas
February 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
You call a group of Robins a ROUND - a Round of Robins.

The girls are excited that they may get to play in the snow today. It started coming down here about an hour ago - Zoe said it was snowing but only upstairs.

I am hoping I can fade away and get to the sewing room and do a bit. Who knows, it seems I no longer have any control of my life. And, having my Diamond still in the repair shop and needing the serger to go in . . . leaves only the straight stitch machines. AND, I need to hand stitch the binding on a couple mug rugs and hopefully get those in the mail!! Time, Time, Time!!

So, I'm smiling. Heading to the kitchen to grab a piece of the French Toast bake I made last night and cooked this morning. Anyone for pure maple syrup?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EHH1YG7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Busy-Good-Grandmother-Picture-Puffins/dp/product-description/0140502270)

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
You call a group of Robins a ROUND - a Round of Robins.

The girls are excited that they may get to play in the snow today. It started coming down here about an hour ago - Zoe said it was snowing but only upstairs.

I am hoping I can fade away and get to the sewing room and do a bit. Who knows, it seems I no longer have any control of my life. And, having my Diamond still in the repair shop and needing the serger to go in . . . leaves only the straight stitch machines. AND, I need to hand stitch the binding on a couple mug rugs and hopefully get those in the mail!! Time, Time, Time!!

So, I'm smiling. Heading to the kitchen to grab a piece of the French Toast bake I made last night and cooked this morning. Anyone for pure maple syrup?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EHH1YG7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Busy-Good-Grandmother-Picture-Puffins/dp/product-description/0140502270)Maple yrup! Sounds delicious!

debinmalaga
February 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM
Good morning, all! Got some sun and WIND here in WV, very cold, but we're not supposed to get much of the storm... I hope!

New job doesn't leave much energy for evening sewing (although I'm hoping new thyroid med will help with that) and the weekend looks pretty full, spending Saturday working till noon, then stuff with Mom the rest of the day. Sunday will have to clean and do laundry, but I'm hoping I can whip through that quickly, then sew! I've finally got my new sewing room tweaked enough to actually SEW SOMETHING, hooray!!!

My new bank is very busy, although it's a small community bank in a very rural area. One of my customers is a sweet lady, and she just mentioned that she's quilting! She quilted for years and years, then had a stroke, and is now struggling with a nine patch - which of course frustrates her. So I told her all about the MSQC site, store, forum and TUTORIALS, printed out the home page and sent her on her way happy and hopeful. Yay!

cyndiofthevortex
February 21st, 2013, 01:09 PM
There's sickness in our house. DD and DSIL and DGSs all have the flu or bad colds. I'm doing a lot of caring for the new baby, which of course I love. All while trying to get ready for our week long trip to Mexico compliments of DH's employer.

Please, please, please keep that storm away from Boston, at least until we fly out Saturday afternoon! I'm sorry so many of you have to live through it - it looks like a bad one. I just don't want to fly in it or be stranded at Logan Airport. We never travel so this is both wonderful for us and a little nerve wracking.

I surely won't be doing any sewing for the next few days. I have a new art quilting book I've been saving for the trip (haven't even peeked at it for those of you who scolded me for looking at my Christmas box early) and a mystery novel called "Lye in Wait" about a crafter who is a detective. Might be great or it might be cheesy, but I'll find out while lying on the beach or by the pool!

A new little quilty just arrived in the mail! Show and Tell, here I come!

Lisapc
February 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM
I am having a slow start again with the Peter's home on vacation. We are heading to the meat store to stock up for the month and then I will run to the grocery store in prep for the week ahead plus the storm. I will be sewing away no matter what happens.

Waiting for a baby to arrive and wishing all of you well.

Stay warm, stay safe and smile.

SuzyQue
February 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
It is so white in our little corner of the country! We can see nothing but white out our windows. I will have to go quilt to see colors today! The snow is pouring from the skies at the rate of 3 inches per hour and the wind is already whipping up drifts halfway up the Tahoe. We can't see a thing beyond the edges of our yard and at times not even that far. The snow has been falling off the roof in huge wedges already, too. It has been thundering and lightening, which just makes the snow pour even harder for a bit. They have closed ramps to the highways to keep people off the roads. We have propane, a grill, generator, tractor, etc. and my hubby has taken off work for today, so will be off till Sunday p.m. We have power for now and hope that continues. I have prepped food and we have tons of blankets, candles, oil lamps, etc. We will survive, but no telling how much fun we will have to get through it all. We are to have snow till noon, then sleet till this evening, then snow till tomorrow at noon! YIKES! Where is that dictionary????? What is the exact definition of a blizzard?????

SallyO'Sews
February 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM
Happy Thursday, everyone!
Well, the good news here is the snow/rain/ice mix is not supposed to start in earnest until Saturday evening, so DH's work party at the church and my craft party at the house should still be able to happen. :icon_bigsmile:

The bad news is the snow/rain/ice mix is not supposed to start in earnest until Saturday evening, so DH may have to cancel worship services Sunday a.m. :(

The best news, of course, is that our Father has the weather all planned out, and knows exactly what to send us, and when. :icon_happy:

SallyO'Sews
February 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
It is so white in our little corner of the country! We can see nothing but white out our windows. I will have to go quilt to see colors today! The snow is pouring from the skies at the rate of 3 inches per hour and the wind is already whipping up drifts halfway up the Tahoe. We can't see a thing beyond the edges of our yard and at times not even that far. The snow has been falling off the roof in huge wedges already, too. It has been thundering and lightening, which just makes the snow pour even harder for a bit. They have closed ramps to the highways to keep people off the roads. We have propane, a grill, generator, tractor, etc. and my hubby has taken off work for today, so will be off till Sunday p.m. We have power for now and hope that continues. I have prepped food and we have tons of blankets, candles, oil lamps, etc. We will survive, but no telling how much fun we will have to get through it all. We are to have snow till noon, then sleet till this evening, then snow till tomorrow at noon! YIKES! Where is that dictionary????? What is the exact definition of a blizzard?????

Yowza! Hope all you Missourians (??) - and other mid-Westerners - are safe and sound... They told us in CT a couple of weeks ago when we had that record-breaking snowstorm that a blizzard is really defined more by the wind than the actual amount of snowfall... sort of like a snowy hurricane. Hope your power stays on all weekend!

auntiemern
February 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Good day all. We are getting all of the yuk that was predicted. Will be in all day today, I think. Plans for the day, hmmm. Need to take a binding off a project, cuz my machine started skipping stitches. Will take the whole bobbin mechanism out and clean it and see if that works. If that works, I need to get on GD#2 b'day quilt. All sandwiched and ready to be quilted. I can't believe I still have internet. I am pretty sure at some point I will lose it. The downfall of having satellite ISP.
Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

buckeyequilter
February 21st, 2013, 03:48 PM
Beginning of the week I saw a bunch of robins all twittering away around the trees at local supermarket, hope some spring like weather follows. Question - what would a group of robins would be called? A bunch of geese are called a Gaggle, but that's all I know.

I call them a flock...don't know what others call them.

kensington
February 21st, 2013, 04:02 PM
It's been snowing all morning here. Dh had a hard time getting home once he got to work. He said cars are stuck everywhere on the highway. It's a mess out there. It's pretty, but it's cold and my guess is we won't be going any where for a day or two. His car is stuck 1/4 up our road and the plow won't come here until after the county roads are done. UGH... So glad we picked up a few groceries and had some stocked.

I made a BIG pot of chili. Will probably make some potato soup too. It seems that on days like today you just enjoy having a pot of something simmering on the stove. Comfort food. And I am so glad I am stocked up on Hot Chocolate too!

Be safe, stay warm, enjoy this winter blast of cold and snow. Don't forget to make Snow Ice Cream!

bakermom
February 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Good morning, all! Got some sun and WIND here in WV, very cold, but we're not supposed to get much of the storm... I hope!

New job doesn't leave much energy for evening sewing (although I'm hoping new thyroid med will help with that) and the weekend looks pretty full, spending Saturday working till noon, then stuff with Mom the rest of the day. Sunday will have to clean and do laundry, but I'm hoping I can whip through that quickly, then sew! I've finally got my new sewing room tweaked enough to actually SEW SOMETHING, hooray!!!

My new bank is very busy, although it's a small community bank in a very rural area. One of my customers is a sweet lady, and she just mentioned that she's quilting! She quilted for years and years, then had a stroke, and is now struggling with a nine patch - which of course frustrates her. So I told her all about the MSQC site, store, forum and TUTORIALS, printed out the home page and sent her on her way happy and hopeful. Yay!
Deb, small town+ rural area= a lot of quilters . I grew up in a small rural area, filled with ladies like my Grandma. Quilting was a part of who they were.

K. McEuen
February 21st, 2013, 06:26 PM
Maybe the whole country is getting snow. I woke up to about 3 inches on the ground here, of course now it's all almost gone out of the yard. The street was clear when I woke up. I didn't even know it was snowing last night. I'm just thankful the wind isn't blowing today. It's been bad this winter and every time it kicks up it seems my nose starts running. It must be stirring up too much dust. This snow will help with that some. It at least has dampened the ground.

I keep finding fabrics that would make cute quilts for the NICU group or for the COC group instead of working on a couple projects I have started for me. I've discovered I like making the smaller baby, kid or lap size quilts because I can finish them in no time compared to queen size quilts and they are a lot less hassle to quilt! It's all about the instant gratification I guess. I've got a couple tops done for Marilyn's group and a couple circle sets ready to go once I run across some background fabric.

I must have known the weather was going to get colder yesterday because I grabbed a couple packages of stew meat out of the freezer last night to thaw. I keep thinking some beef barley soup. My daughter and I would enjoy that but hubby doesn't eat soup r stew. He just doesn't do "juicy" food. He may get hot dogs ...

bhaggerty
February 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM
Rained all morning here, but now sunny skies and in the 80's! Boy do I love Texas!!!

Monique
February 21st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Good late afternoon friends. Just reading up on everyone's day. I hope all of you who are getting bad weather stay safe. My computer this morning was a little sick so it took a while to get the chkdsk done. I also had a dentist appointment that got moved up. No cavities, but one filling has to be repaired (in April). Other than than not much. I hand quilted all day yesterday. My chest is still very sore from all the coughing I did when they took out the intubating tube on Tuesday. And my neck and jaw are still quite sore too. It is very difficult to roll over or get out of bed and hurts to cough too. Aw, this too shall pass. (Too many toos in here).

Stay safe everyone.

aliaslaceygreen
February 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
Good evening and happy Thursday night! I am on the couch, foot up, after a LOT of exercise today at the quilt show.... here is a link to the photos I took... I didn't spend too much money, believe it or not.... off to read about everyone's day.....

http://smu.gs/YFA3TY

buckeyequilter
February 21st, 2013, 09:22 PM
We have no clue what we will end up with after the storm is finished -- I don't mind snow but don't want any ice. I was hoping for a day off work to quilt :) but no such luck since it hasn't started yet. Have a safe and happy day!

I'm kind of hoping that for tomorrow :)