PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Show purchase Poll

GuitarGramma
February 20th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I've seen lots of posts from quilters who are about to attend a Quilt Show, many of them for the first time.

Here's a great way that we can help each other with some hands-on advice. Tell us:
- What have you purchased at a Quilt Show that you would recommend to other quilters?
- What would you warn them away from buying?
Prices and pictures are both very welcome!

Let's help each other get ready for the upcoming Quilt Show Season!

madampolo
February 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM
From the Houston International Quilt show I bought a foot for sewing curves ($30), a tote pattern plus fat quarters to make it ($30?), a quilt pattern ($9), a lot of fat quarters - I think 40(?) at $3 a piece, and some jewelry cleaner for $20. What I liked was that you could find vendors that had all manor of fat quarters by color and shade to pick from, plus 1/2 yard cuts, too.

I wished I hadn't spent the money on the tote pattern. There have been so many tuts here, I didn't need it.

I did see one lady carrying a big box that said Janome on it. I think she bought a sewing machine!

pdjewelrylady
February 20th, 2013, 11:59 PM
oh Joyce - very FUN! did you get the Curve Master presser foot??? i want one every time i go - last year they were sold out and i haven't taken the time to order online! that is the one thing at the top of my list for sure! oh and the wooden thread spool holder thingy!! :D

i love to meet people and have fun filling my quilty bucket with ideas and inspirations. the make and takes are fun and entering the drawings for doorprizes!! yipppppeeeee if i ever win anything!! whooooohoooooo :lol:

GuitarGramma
February 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
I have three favorite Quilt Show purchases, but two of them were pretty expensive.

The first is called the Miracle Ironing Board Cover. It's made from the same fabric used for fire fighters, so it reflects the heat back toward the iron. This means you can iron EVERYTHING on medium heat. My first one cost about $30, then my husband built me the equivalent of a Big Board ironing board, and we bought a Miracle Ironing Board Cover to fit for about $50. Seams never show, and wrinkles are toast. IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT under any circumstances order from their web site. PM me if you're tempted to do so.

My second favorite Quilt Show purchase is the Altos Quick Cut system (~$200). This has sped up my cutting by leaps and bounds and has made me so much more accurate, too. Of course, when I read how accurate the June Tailor rulers are, I think I may have overspent on the Altos, but I just shut my eyes and tell myself I needed it when I needed it and I never would have finished my daughter's wedding quilt in time without it.

My third favorite purchase is my iron, the Eurosteam Evolution iron ($200). This is a steam generator with only one temperature setting. I've owned other irons, including a low-end Rowenta, and nothing but nothing presses my seams like my Eurosteam. It's a very touchy iron in several ways: you can't rest it on its heel EVER, you have to empty its water reservoir EVERY TIME, and you have to store it UNCAPPED. So between the price and the fussiness, you'd think I'd hate it, but instead I love how well it presses my quilt blocks.

Finally, there is nothing I've ever bought at a Quilt Show that I regret. Some things I don't use as much as I thought I would, but not the point where I wish I hadn't spent the money.

Lisapc
February 21st, 2013, 02:23 AM
I am going to my first quilt show in April. I have a LQS that has Fat Quarter Day every Monday for $2, they just went up in price about 2 weeks ago but on Presidents day they had a 20 for $20 fat quarter sale. So I won't pay more than that. I think I am interested in the notions available. Are the prices better or higher at a show than the internet?

I am just so curious and excited to go I feel like a little kid.

HdWench
February 21st, 2013, 08:50 AM
oh Joyce - very FUN! did you get the Curve Master presser foot??? i want one every time i go - last year they were sold out and i haven't taken the time to order online! that is the one thing at the top of my list for sure! oh and the wooden thread spool holder thingy!! :D

i love to meet people and have fun filling my quilty bucket with ideas and inspirations. the make and takes are fun and entering the drawings for doorprizes!! yipppppeeeee if i ever win anything!! whooooohoooooo :lol:

This is how exciting I would be toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! But had the FLU when the huge Arizona Quilt show was here *wahhhhh* So I'm anxious to hear if you can get great prices too... and it sure looks like they have TONS to shop for!

*time to set aside some fun Funds*

:-Debbie

CarrieG
February 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
They don't have great prices. They do have lots of stuff right there in front of you to oogle over. If you see fabric you love, buy it! You may not see it again. The vendors who sell specialty tools will be doing demos. Think hard about buying those, you may not really use it when you get home. And you'll forget how the demo went.

Take a class if you can. Enjoy!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM
I bought so much, fabric, tools, books, patterns. I bought my sewezi table as my last purchase, thank heaven they sent that through the mail! One thing I bought and still haven't used is a strip to lay your fabric over to iron seams open, who does that? It was definitely a sales pitch and one of the last of the day. I was too weak to reist! One thing I wasn't so careful about was getting business cards from every vendor I purchased from. I wanted to reorder some extra wide fabric, but didn't have the vendor's name . I wish I had bought that ruler that adds the right amount to your squares to make half square triangles. I did get my Curvemaster foot, and like it. I also bought two ruler blocks made of oak, I love them. The trouble was,i bought them as my first purchase and had to carry them around all day! Take a tote, and whenit's full, you are done shopping! I'm tempted to take a rolling basket with me this year, but that is a sure way to overspend! I figured if I had to carry it, It would curb my enthusiasm for new purchases.

Renate
February 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks my dears for your informations. I will go to my first quilt show this year: the Quilt Festival in Galway/Ireland in June (anybody els?) I am really looking forward to it. I already booked a class in doing the "Irish Knote". I have no idea what I have to bring with me, if there is some equiment over there. There is less information on the homepage. And as I travel by plane and want to bring my golf stuff with me, there will be no space for more than some needles and my favorit ruler. of course I will make a lot of pictures and tell you after the show.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
I have three favorite Quilt Show purchases, but two of them were pretty expensive.

The first is called the Miracle Ironing Board Cover. It's made from the same fabric used for fire fighters, so it reflects the heat back toward the iron. This means you can iron EVERYTHING on medium heat. My first one cost about $30, then my husband built me the equivalent of a Big Board ironing board, and we bought a Miracle Ironing Board Cover to fit for about $50. Seams never show, and wrinkles are toast. IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT under any circumstances order from their web site. PM me if you're tempted to do so.

My second favorite Quilt Show purchase is the Altos Quick Cut system (~$200). This has sped up my cutting by leaps and bounds and has made me so much more accurate, too. Of course, when I read how accurate the June Tailor rulers are, I think I may have overspent on the Altos, but I just shut my eyes and tell myself I needed it when I needed it and I never would have finished my daughter's wedding quilt in time without it.

My third favorite purchase is my iron, the Eurosteam Evolution iron ($200). This is a steam generator with only one temperature setting. I've owned other irons, including a low-end Rowenta, and nothing but nothing presses my seams like my Eurosteam. It's a very touchy iron in several ways: you can't rest it on its heel EVER, you have to empty its water reservoir EVERY TIME, and you have to store it UNCAPPED. So between the price and the fussiness, you'd think I'd hate it, but instead I love how well it presses my quilt blocks.

Finally, there is nothing I've ever bought at a Quilt Show that I regret. Some things I don't use as much as I thought I would, but not the point where I wish I hadn't spent the money.

i love my Altos Quilt Cut Two so much, but glad I didn't have to carry that thing home from a quilt show, it weighs a ton! Bought directly from the manufacturer.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks my dears for your informations. I will go to my first quilt show this year: the Quilt Festival in Galway/Ireland in June (anybody els?) I am really looking forward to it. I already booked a class in doing the "Irish Knote". I have no idea what I have to bring with me, if there is some equiment over there. There is less information on the homepage. And as I travel by plane and want to bring my golf stuff with me, there will be no space for more than some needles and my favorit ruler. of course I will make a lot of pictures and tell you after the show.
That was offered here in rhe states, and if I could find someone to go with, I'd go to it.

Iris Girl
February 21st, 2013, 09:34 AM
Last year I went to the Mancuso Show in Somerset NJ. I bought a clear open toe foot for my machine, some beautiful batik fat quarters and some oriental theme fat quarters, some specialty threads, 2 patterns, one for a small wall hanging and one for a runner. This year unfortunately finances do not allow me to go:icon_cry:

Jean Sewing Machine
February 21st, 2013, 09:35 AM
From the Houston International Quilt show I bought a foot for sewing curves ($30), a tote pattern plus fat quarters to make it ($30?), a quilt pattern ($9), a lot of fat quarters - I think 40(?) at $3 a piece, and some jewelry cleaner for $20. What I liked was that you could find vendors that had all manor of fat quarters by color and shade to pick from, plus 1/2 yard cuts, too.

I wished I hadn't spent the money on the tote pattern. There have been so many tuts here, I didn't need it.

I did see one lady carrying a big box that said Janome on it. I think she bought a sewing machine!

Saw that, also. I think she bought a class machine!

madampolo
February 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, it was the Curve Master foot that I bought. I couldn't think of the name of it. I tried to use it once, but wasn't sure how so I had to re-view the video. I am going to try again.

Hulamoon
February 21st, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mine was so small and all the shops I know were there. I bought two Bali Pops. I could of just gone to the store. lol

GuitarGramma
February 22nd, 2013, 01:06 AM
I wish I had bought that ruler that adds the right amount to your squares to make half square triangles.

I bought that ruler (Guidelines4Quilting) at a quilt show. It is amazing. The guy who invented (and sells) it is an engineer, and he figured out that all our 1/4", 1/2", or 7/8" measurements are close approximations, but not the true measurements we need. His add ons give you very, very precise measurements so that our half-square and quarter-square triangle come out perfect. It is a great product.

So at your next quilt show, Jean ...

mom4him
February 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM

The Altos Quick Cut system looks wonderful!
There is a quilt show coming up in our area. The quilt shop is sponsoring it but there is a charge of almost $40 just to get in. Is that normal?

Monique
February 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Depending on how many days or hours you will be there, make a note of what you would like and what booth it was at. You can always go back and will know exactly where you saw it. Shop around and if you buy it there, you won't have to pay shipping. Last year I had a list of things I wanted to get and of course I bought more than needed but you just never know when you are going to need it, RIGHT? I did get the binding tool that Jenny demonstrates. I really like it.

quiltingtrish
February 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I love going to the shows and walking through the vendor booths and then view all the beautiful quilts that people have submitted for display. I usually only get to the one in Lancaster, PA in March and the one in Hershey, PA in July.
Yes, I have overspent at times but since I now have a lot of stash and plenty of projects to keep me busy until I am about 131, I am pretty sticky with my money. Since I can get fabric at $4. a yard and up, I think twice about paying $10. or more for a yard.

I would not suggest you take a rolling tote with you - depends on the show. Some shows don't allow you to bring them along, they get stepped on, tripped over, etc. There is usually too many people crowding in the booths and sometimes not even room except to squeeze by as a person much less having a rolling tote behind you.

Sandy - I don't know where you live - $40. to get in to the show? The Lancaster show has an admission price of something like $12 or $13. for one day and around $20 for a multi-day pass. If you have an APQS membership, then I think you get a 10% discount. I had that membership for one year but for my needs, didn't see where it saved me any money in the end.

Like Monique says - write down what you think you are interested in and what booth you saw it, and either you will decide you do really want, need to have it and you can go back - or you might even find the same thing at another booth for a lesser price. Especially when it comes to the tools we use that anyone can sell in their booths.

Have fun!
Hugs,

asta
February 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I love a good quilt show and look forward to my favorite one each year in Madison, WI. I do have a tendency to overspend like many people at these, I buy lots a fabric, thread and try to see as many presentations as possible. Tips, bring a list and swatches of fabrics you have on hand at home include the amount you have of each, you are likely to find a pattern you want to try. Also I get myself a pre-paid credit card, and make sure I only spend what is on the card. Also as an added tidbit, the gals I go with each buy a table runner kit or pattern, when we get home we each make up the runner and get together and do a runner swap, a nice memory of our adventure together.

mom4him
February 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=quiltingtrish;255519] Sandy - I don't know where you live - $40. to get in to the show? The Lancaster show has an admission price of something like $12 or $13. for one day and around $20 for a multi-day pass. If you have an APQS membership, then I think you get a 10% discount. I had that membership for one year but for my needs, didn't see where it saved me any money in the end. [QUOTE=quiltingtrish;255519]
Thanks, I was really wondering. It is for a two day event and there are some classes you can attend but still, just not sure if I want to spend that much just to get in. She doesn't list what the classes are just advanced or beginner.

quiltingtrish
February 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Sandy - a 2 day show and for $40 that includes classes. Hmmm - that sounds to me like it might not be a huge quilt show, maybe something a Guild or some smaller group might be putting on. Usually the big shows run for about 4 days, have hundreds of vendors, and classes are extra. So, that could be a price they set since they are smaller, but I am guessing here.

I have been to some smaller shows that were put on by a Guild or a few Guilds that went in together and their prices seem to be anywhere from $5. to $10. to get in. They have lots of quilts on display, some make-and-take it classes for a small fee, and maybe 20-30 vendors. One of the nicest fellas I have met was at one of these shows. He was selling backing material and other fabrics for $5. a yard and he even gave you a small pouch filled with quilty goodies just for buying from him. He said his mom was a quilter who had passed on and he was continuing what she did in her honor.
Anyhoo - if you go, have fun. You will probably have a good time. Let us know if you went and what kind of show it was.

Hugs,

mom4him
February 24th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Sandy - a 2 day show and for $40 that includes classes. Hmmm - that sounds to me like it might not be a huge quilt show, maybe something a Guild or some smaller group might be putting on. Usually the big shows run for about 4 days, have hundreds of vendors, and classes are extra. So, that could be a price they set since they are smaller, but I am guessing here.

I have been to some smaller shows that were put on by a Guild or a few Guilds that went in together and their prices seem to be anywhere from $5. to $10. to get in. They have lots of quilts on display, some make-and-take it classes for a small fee, and maybe 20-30 vendors. One of the nicest fellas I have met was at one of these shows. He was selling backing material and other fabrics for $5. a yard and he even gave you a small pouch filled with quilty goodies just for buying from him. He said his mom was a quilter who had passed on and he was continuing what she did in her honor.
Anyhoo - if you go, have fun. You will probably have a good time. Let us know if you went and what kind of show it was.

Hugs,

Ok, I was mistaken big time. I had gotten two notices the last time I went to the fabric shop and I had them mixed up. The one that has a price on it is listed as a Florinni Quilting and Embroidery Masters Tour and the charge for it is $49. It is the one that has the beginner and advanced classes listed. It also does say that you receive a gift package valued at $599.00 .Also Lunch provided so maybe.

the quilt show has no fee listed and is sponcered by a quilting Guild. It is a 3 day show. It also has a web site listed to watch for details. I will be going and checking it out.

Any of you hear of the Florinni Quilting and Embroidery Masters Tour? I am going to go google that one.

Thanks for your patience with my air headedness.

Claire Hallman
February 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I have been to a Floriani class/demo thingie, not sure what they called it. I don't think it was but $35. It was last year and I do think a barbeque lunch was included. I walked away with 6 or 8 large spools of embroidery thread and lots of usable samples of their stabilizer. I also got three or four DVDs with designs on them. I feel like I learned a lot but be prepared for a sales pitch for their digitizing software.

bec
February 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I've bought some cool tweezers and a wall hanging pattern that I want to enlarge to make a bigger quilt. I've also bought a little bundle of cute polka-dot half-yard pieces.

I wish I hadn't bought the fabric, because I have too much fabric that needs to be used. I could have spent the money on some neat tool.

mom4him
February 24th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I have been to a Floriani class/demo thingie, not sure what they called it. I don't think it was but $35. It was last year and I do think a barbeque lunch was included. I walked away with 6 or 8 large spools of embroidery thread and lots of usable samples of their stabilizer. I also got three or four DVDs with designs on them. I feel like I learned a lot but be prepared for a sales pitch for their digitizing software.

Well, I guess those things would be worth the $49. Not exactly $599.00 worth but.... LOL
I will probably have to see how finances are at the time. Maybe.

Panda
February 24th, 2013, 11:37 PM
The last quilt show I went to last year I ended up buying a sewing machine. I didn't go there intending to buy one. I never do impulse buying, but that day I did. I also bought the binding tool that MSQC sells and also the smaller version that would probably work well for place mats or mug rugs. I just haven't tried it yet. I also got some patterns. My next quilt show definately will not be that extravagant.

Kathy

SummerTyme
February 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Haven't been to a large show in a few years. Have attended some smaller, local (50 mile radius) events in the past 2 years though. Usually buy neutrals and blenders or FQ bundles. Certain vendors will have great offers on rulers (e.g. All rulers $10) or scissors. Always tempted by those but I've broken my impulsive buying habits and really think through my purchases. I figure anything I go home and think about and just can't live without :) I can usually find at my LQS. That makes my "gotta have it" purchase a great excuse to visit my LQS.

shannonsaulter
February 28th, 2013, 01:48 AM
The quilt show here is in Sept for 4 days I work all but one and will be trying to go..
Looks like you have fun.. I've never been so hope its great

smheishman
March 15th, 2013, 09:57 PM
There is a smaller quilt show and a larger one this year near me. These will be my first. I am very excited to attend and see what all I can see.