PDA

View Full Version : Back to work...

Genny
February 19th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Guess I'll be returning to work soon, our owner seems to have found a way to re-open our company. One change that I know of is that he will no longer be offering Health Insurance. Guess I'll have to start looking somewhere else for it. My husband has insurance where he works and his coverage is free but if he puts me on it then it'll be over $600.00 a month just for me. A few of my co-workers have already found insurance so I'll be talking to them about their coverages. Anyone on here have any ideas?

shannonsaulter
February 20th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Blue cross maybe or do a search online

Sandy Navas
February 20th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Genny - I'm so glad that you are going to be able to go back to work. It is such a shame that health insurance is so expensive and small companies cannot afford it for all employees. Sometimes I feel I only worked all those years to get insurance . . . and if it ever goes I will just have to sit down by the side of the road and hope the buzzards wait until I'm truly gone . . .

Hope you get to go back with people you enjoy working with!!

bhaggerty
February 20th, 2013, 01:26 AM
If you area fairly healthy, check into Major Medical Coverage (catastrophic care coverage), the premiums are less expensive but it covers the big things.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 20th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I lost my health insurance coverage several years before I turned 65 and could go on Medicare. My premiums were $550 a month. That was a few years back, so it doesn't surprise me that you would have to pay $600 a month now. It's just crazy what health insurance costs nowadays. I got mine through AARP.

Genny
February 20th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone, one of my co workers has found a local insurance company to insure her, I'll be checking on it. I go back to work on the 4th.

janluna
February 20th, 2013, 08:20 PM
So glad you have a job to go to but the insurance thing is awful. Our fee was $622.00 a month, and then in December they upped it to $840.00. It seems the fewer people you have on the coverage, the more they charge. We now have to spend $2600.00 before our insurance even kicks in. And it is Blue cross. We had MVP for one year, and they upped our monthly premium by 42% after one year. So we switched back to BCBS. We ended up paying over $800.00 for one script my DH had to take. We had to pay for the whole thing because we were still under the $2600.00. Now, he can't retire because if he does, they put him on Medicare and they kick me to the curb. So, he is waiting until I turn 65. I feel so bad, because he really needs to quit working.
Now, there is a surcharge being charged to everyone in NY. One lady got her hospital bill and on top of the $150.00 charge, they also charged her a $72.00 surcharge. People are already having a hard time paying their own medical bills, getting charged another bunch of money is only making it harder for people to pay their bills. I don't know what we will do, just try not to get sick I guess. So sorry for you having to pay even more for your insurance. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

buckeyequilter
February 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Guess I'll be returning to work soon, our owner seems to have found a way to re-open our company. One change that I know of is that he will no longer be offering Health Insurance. Guess I'll have to start looking somewhere else for it. My husband has insurance where he works and his coverage is free but if he puts me on it then it'll be over $600.00 a month just for me. A few of my co-workers have already found insurance so I'll be talking to them about their coverages. Anyone on here have any ideas?

Is your company on a fully insured plan or a partially self insured or self insured? That can make a lot of difference in the premiums you pay each month.

The company I work for is partially self insured which means we pay the first $40,000 on all claims for the employees before the insurance company starts paying.

Lord help us all when Obamacare goes into effect. I will be having an insurance meeting soon with the Agent and they'll probably talk to me some more about Obamacare - our insurance renews the 1st of April so we will be good until April 1, 2014. Then our company will probably drop the insurance and we'll have to find our own. The only way that won't happen is if the boss wants to keep his family insured at company expense.

PS.....should have read better because I see your company is not offering insurance. Does your company have less than 50 employees? We wouldn't have to offer insurance if we had less than 50 employees or put everyone on part-time (less than 30 hours a week).

yeeehawterri
February 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM
At those premiums, I'd definately look at major medical insurance if you're in relatively good health. The cost difference between major medical and an HMO/PPO can be significant.

CountryHut
February 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM
$600.00 a month . . if it is good insurance . . grab it . . and I say that because -- when my hubby 1st retired our insurance was $286.00 a month for the both of us . . over the course of less than 5 years -- it jumped to $1177.00 a month . . --
and I don't care what anyone says . HMO has always been best for us . . very little out of pocket and I didn't have to wait for the
insurance company to reimburst me any funds. . .

CountryHut
February 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
when hubby filed for SS benefits -- he had to """prove""" that he had health insurance from the age of 65 til he filed for SS benefits - he files at the age of 66 . . otherwise SS was going to penalize/fine him $2500.00 -- it was bad enough they penalized him for being a civil service employee . . SS took bad 67% of his benefits/money so after Medicare and taxes -- he gets a big $347. 00 and some change a month -- thank goodness he was wise enough to think of the future 48 years ago . . .
right now his employer pays for his health insurance -- he pays $186.00 a month for me . . but before he quits this job -
we'll switch over to our military benefits - Tricare prime/premuim for me and he will have tricare for life -

I'm hoping he quits before his next B-day in June -- he has enough vacation time and such on the books to take 6 month off and still
get paid . . . but I am afraid that he likes his new work schedule (every other week he has off)
and him quiting might not happen . . *worried look*~

so, I guess the point is -- if your fixin to turn 65 soon . . . BE SURE to take Medicare part B -- the penalize 10% per year for every year you don't take it . . -- if you wait to filed for your benefits to a later date -- be sure to have whatever health insurance and be able to
"""prove""" it - otherwise they will penalize you for not having it

So glad you have a job to go to but the insurance thing is awful. Our fee was $622.00 a month, and then in December they upped it to $840.00. It seems the fewer people you have on the coverage, the more they charge. We now have to spend $2600.00 before our insurance even kicks in. And it is Blue cross. We had MVP for one year, and they upped our monthly premium by 42% after one year. So we switched back to BCBS. We ended up paying over $800.00 for one script my DH had to take. We had to pay for the whole thing because we were still under the $2600.00. Now, he can't retire because if he does, they put him on Medicare and they kick me to the curb. So, he is waiting until I turn 65. I feel so bad, because he really needs to quit working.
Now, there is a surcharge being charged to everyone in NY. One lady got her hospital bill and on top of the $150.00 charge, they also charged her a $72.00 surcharge. People are already having a hard time paying their own medical bills, getting charged another bunch of money is only making it harder for people to pay their bills. I don't know what we will do, just try not to get sick I guess. So sorry for you having to pay even more for your insurance. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Genny
February 21st, 2013, 12:27 AM
Is your company on a fully insured plan or a partially self insured or self insured? That can make a lot of difference in the premiums you pay each month.

The company I work for is partially self insured which means we pay the first $40,000 on all claims for the employees before the insurance company starts paying.

Lord help us all when Obamacare goes into effect. I will be having an insurance meeting soon with the Agent and they'll probably talk to me some more about Obamacare - our insurance renews the 1st of April so we will be good until April 1, 2014. Then our company will probably drop the insurance and we'll have to find our own. The only way that won't happen is if the boss wants to keep his family insured at company expense.

PS.....should have read better because I see your company is not offering insurance. Does your company have less than 50 employees? We wouldn't have to offer insurance if we had less than 50 employees or put everyone on part-time (less than 30 hours a week).

At one time we had 86 employees but we now only have around 25.

Lisapc
February 21st, 2013, 02:18 AM
Congratulations on getting to go back to work. I am sorry about the insurance. Sadly with the powers at be many business owners will and are being faced with the same decision.