PDA

View Full Version : A question about posting etiquette

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I alway's had a problem with this on forums. You know when everyone comes in to say how cute or pretty something is? How many times is right or wrong to say thank you. I feel so bad not to say thank you to every single person. I feel like it's bumping the post though, so that's why I don't. How do you guy's feel about that?

dwil23
February 19th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I don't think it is necessary to thank everyone - at least in my own experience, once I have looked at a thread and made that type of comment, I usually don't look at it again, therefore, wouldn't know if you thanked me or not. If I ask a question, I usually add TIA "thanks in advance" since anyone answering it may not look to see if I respond or not.

buckeyequilter
February 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I've wondered about that also. I will usually do my initial post and then go back in at some point and do a thank you and if I keep seeing the post at the top (or close) then I may go in again. I guess we could always use the "Post Thanks / Like".

I need to get some thank you cards sent out....I will take some time this week-end to get them ready.

Now...here's a question from me. Do you send a thank you card for every gift received or do you thank the sender by posting on the forum or sending a PM?

Sandy Navas
February 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Very good question. When I joined (actually this is the first forum I've truly participated in) I felt compelled to respond to all the posts (hence my numbers are so high). I also added my welcome to new members. The number of forum participants has grown and other things quite often take priority - so I have limited myself (hopefully). I often want to let a special friend here know that I've seen their post and will comment on it only if I feel I have the time.

So, thank yous, and responses to thank yous are not on the top of my list any more. Am I being remiss? I don't think so. Our friendships are here based upon electronic media (and the graciousness of the wonderful Doans), and since letter writing has given way to airwaves, I feel so many of our etiquette rules have given way, too.

I am not offended if I post something and no one replies. And, I don't expect everyone to put up with my silliness. Just part of the world we now live in.

Cheers!!

(But, if I stop and hold a door open for you, I certainly expect a Thanks or Thank You comment!!)

Jean Sewing Machine
February 19th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Great post Sandy! A general thank you seems all that is really necessary. I appreciate everyone who takes time to comment on my show and tells, you are all wonderful.

CrazyMtnLady
February 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I do not thank every post but the "Thanks for this post" might be a good idea. I have thanked a few people in both the forum and a pm. I have also just sent out a few thank you cards too.

toggpine
February 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Now...here's a question from me. Do you send a thank you card for every gift received or do you thank the sender by posting on the forum or sending a PM?

I'll send an immediate one via either e-mail or PM. I hope to follow up with a "real" card, but since I have about 3 of them sitting here waiting for ink and postage, along with my father's birthday cards, that may take a bit longer than I'd like to say "Thanks"!

Public or private electronic "Thanks" would depend on the nature of the gift. The thanks/like button comes in handy for helpful tips.
I'd check in a couple times on a thread just to see if folks had questions about the pattern/fabric if I posted a "pretty" and say a general thanks. If I asked a question or needed help I'd check in more frequently in case I needed to fill in a bit I didn't think about when I asked the first time. I'd certainly follow up with what I decided to do and if it worked well. Some of these show up in the "Show & Tell" section, and some folks refer us to those threads for results.

aliaslaceygreen
February 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I'll send an immediate one via either e-mail or PM. I hope to follow up with a "real" card, but since I have about 3 of them sitting here waiting for ink and postage, along with my father's birthday cards, that may take a bit longer than I'd like to say "Thanks"!

Public or private electronic "Thanks" would depend on the nature of the gift. The thanks/like button comes in handy for helpful tips.
I'd check in a couple times on a thread just to see if folks had questions about the pattern/fabric if I posted a "pretty" and say a general thanks. If I asked a question or needed help I'd check in more frequently in case I needed to fill in a bit I didn't think about when I asked the first time. I'd certainly follow up with what I decided to do and if it worked well. Some of these show up in the "Show & Tell" section, and some folks refer us to those threads for results.

I think that this is truly the more important part... If I post something and people are telling me they like it, a general thanks after a few posts seems reasonable, but I do feel that at least checking back on occasion within a day or so of posting makes sense, to see if someone wanted more information about the item in question.... (speaking of which, I probably should update with photos my Sun bonnet Sue post as I have done a few more)

kensington
February 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I think saying "Thank you Ladies" or something to that affect on the forums in a thread where they are complimenting your work or craft is totally fine. Answering in some way to show you appreciate the support. KWIM?

For a real gift sent to you in the mail, I think a real thank you card sent in return is the only appropriate reply.

For swaps an such, trades, I don't think it is warranted, as you are swapping items, but probably a very nice gesture to let someone know you notice them. It's just nice.

And I belive, a late thank you is better than no thank you. LOL. It's never too late to give props!

shannonsaulter
February 19th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I usually post stuff before I go to work come home look and read comments then say Ty or answer any questions that may have been asked..I think in 9-10 hours most people have made their comments..

buckeyequilter
February 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I think saying "Thank you Ladies" or something to that affect on the forums in a thread where they are complimenting your work or craft is totally fine. Answering in some way to show you appreciate the support. KWIM?

For a real gift sent to you in the mail, I think a real thank you card sent in return is the only appropriate reply.

For swaps an such, trades, I don't think it is warranted, as you are swapping items, but probably a very nice gesture to let someone know you notice them. It's just nice.

And I belive, a late thank you is better than no thank you. LOL. It's never too late to give props!

I believe you are right :) I have the Thank You cards on my desk - just need to get them ready.

SallyO'Sews
February 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I love the "thanks for this post" button, especially for the Show & Tell section. I don't always have a lot of time, but I really LOVE looking at the photos everyone puts up, and I do want to let the posters know I saw it and appreciate their work.

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Well thanks for posting here :) I feel better I can't respond to every post. :)

Musical_Starling
February 20th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Well thanks for posting here :) I feel better I can't respond to every post. :)

A perfect example of how to thank multiple people for responding :) My time on here has been somewhat limited lately, so I often do a single "thank everyone at once" post and then address any individual questions. I've done that with the mug rug swap as well. I'm swamped with "thank you" PMs but since it takes 60 seconds in between and all of the PMs showed up at once it was much easier to post my "you're welcome, thank you for participating" post in the group than having to sit for another hour sending out almost 60 PMs lol