PDA

View Full Version : My son might be allergic to our cat

laf512
February 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I'm afraid our 5yo son might be allergic to the cat. He's been wheezing and coughing for the past several days. Prior to getting the cat, he started getting a mild cold so it is hard to tell whether it is from the cat or related to the cold. He has no other symptoms now besides the cough and wheezing. He's had to use his inhaler multiple times per day lately. my husband bought a HEPA filter for our furnace to see if that helps. We really, really don't want to have to give up the cat, but we will have to if things don't improve over the next few days. My poor daughter was crying today about the possibility of giving him up. :( I thought if he was allergic that he would have itchy eyes or a runny nose...something besides "only" coughing and wheezing. He never has issues when he plays with our barn cat, but they aren't sharing living space either. So sad about the thought of giving the cat up. We've all grown to love him over the past week.

dwil23
February 19th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Give it some time. If he can handle the barn cat, I doubt it is allergies, but even if it is, it may pass. I grew up with cats all my life with no problems. Then, went away to school and was not around one every day. I began to notice when I was around them - at a friend's house or when I went home, my eyes would water up and get itchy. After graduating and moving back home, the problem went away. Then, I got married and didn't have a cat. Went to Mom and Dads, - itchy watery eyes and sneezing every time. Then a stray cat started hanging around the house and I took him in - itchy eyes, etc for a few days and, now 30+ years later, I have never been without a cat and I have no symptoms. In fact, I call my daughters cat my pillow pal - I have to ask permission to use a small corner of the pillow! Good Luck - I hope it all works out.

Lisapc
February 19th, 2013, 01:46 AM
What about trying Claritan or Allegra for a few days. If it helps then why not if it allows you to keep the cat. The only way to know for sure is to have him tested. Not only that just coming down with a cold and then adding the cat could be aggravating the cold. My little guy has horrible outside allergies. We have 2 dogs. He is fine with them yet today we took him to an indoor petting zoo and he had such a coughing attack it lasted for 2 hrs and we almost took him to the ER. We came home and there he was rubbing his face in our dogs necks and no coughing. I would give it time and not let the cat in his room.

Musical_Starling
February 19th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Do they make Claritin and Allegra for kids? So many simple drugs are different in the US and Canada. Here the go-to is usually children's Benadryl. It may be allergies, it may also be, as Lisa said, just the cat aggravating the cold. Maybe take him for an allergy test to see for sure, then take it from there :)

Winniesfriend
February 19th, 2013, 04:19 AM
We have Clarintyne for children in Australia ... real name Loratadine.

Suzyq
February 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Lori, what about an air purifier in his room... Keep us posted if you can get your son to an allergist...hope it's not the kitty....

meemeecyn
February 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Oh no! So much to figure out, Lori. My oldest grandgirl has terrible allergies (as does her mother) and sees the allergist at least once a year. She takes Zyrtec daily as well. Hope they can figure out what your son is allergic to and it isn't your kitty!

gayk
February 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
My middle granddaughter has severe allergies. They got the cutest little dog and her eyes and face swelled up something awful. Had to give the dog away. I can't remember what breed it was but must have been one of the higher allergy count dogs. She is okay with our maltese but then isn't around him all the time. She takes singular and clariton both all the time. She has a severe peanut allergy too.

laf512
February 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
We tried Zyrtec for two days but it didn't seem to do anything for him :( We do plan to wait it out at least until the weekend to see if things get better. That will be two weeks which should be enough time to see if it is viral or an allergy. He's had breathing issues with colds before, but they never lasted more than a week. He does seem to be a bit better this morning so we shall see. I'm planning to call the doctor today to see about testing but in the past we have had to wait several weeks for an appointment with the allergist.

CrazyMtnLady
February 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I have 4 cats...2 short hair and 2 long hair. I can usually hold and love on the short haired cats with no problem, but the long haired ones will make my hairs water and my nose itch. I still love on them. I just take Benadryl and love on them a llittle more. Same with long and short haired dogs. Good things pugs are short haired or I would be in misery ALL the time, because Gator is very rarely away from my side.