PDA

View Full Version : Pillow Case dress question?

Lonna
February 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I am wanting to make my first pillow case dress. I have seen tutorials on youtube so I have the basic idea of what to do. What I need to know is how wide and how long to cut this fabric for a 2 year old. Can anyone give me some help please. This dress is going to be for the daughter of a woman who works in the office next door. I had made her a little mug rug and she really liked the fabric and told me it reminder her of her daughter. So I think I have enough left to make a pillow case dress for her daughter. But I have never seen this child and have not been around a two year old in many many years. Thanks Ladies.

HdWench
February 18th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I hope someone has wee ones at home or grandkids they can measure height to maybe give you a rough idea?

Haven't seen the dress but I make clothing for adults that I've no idea what they look like ahead of time. String tie waists help because you won't know how skinny, and string ties in the neckline of a dress may help so she could draw it close or more open - kids sight unseen. The length -- whoa Too short they can always wear some tights under and too long can be pinned for a few months until they hit another growth spurt --

Hope someone comes along with a kid, been a LONG time for me too Lonna

*bumping up*

CountryHut
February 18th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Lonna --- . . what I have always done was -- ask for measurements --- ask your co-worker to measure the child favorite t-shirt from armpit seam across the chest to armpit seem . . then you double that measurement and add 2 inches for the length -- measurement from the shoulder down to the length they wish on the child -- then add 3 inches -- 1.5 inches for hem and 1.5 inches for the ribbon tie casing

hope that helps

SallyO'Sews
February 19th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Hi, Lonna,
Little Dresses for Africa http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/ has a size chart and a tutorial for making pillowcase dresses - very cute and easy-peasy!
Have fun!

HdWench
February 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM
*bumping back up so she can see it* Thanks for the link too!

:-Debbie

bkthomas
February 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM
*bumping back up so she can see it* Thanks for the link too!

:-Debbie

Think I'll start calling you "Bumper" hehe

bhaggerty
February 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
We did these as a service project for our school and taught some girls how to sew.
I think we made over 100 dresses over the course of 3 "sew in's" with girls 4-8th grade.
We used regular (twin or queen size) pillow cases and made them one size fits all.
The beauty of the pillow case dress is that it is a full long dress when they are little, a sundress as they get older and can be worn over a tank as a cool shirt for the teen!
In the winter - use a turtle neck and leggings underneath !
I have made 6-7 for my daughter as well, but just used pillowcases I picked up at Marshall's or Tuesday Morning.