PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past?

debinmalaga
February 18th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Hello all!

So sorry for all the birthdays and holidays I haven't shared with y'all for such a long time. I poked around some on the forum last night and this morning, and am so glad to see so many familiar "faces", and tickled by all the new names! It will be fun to catch up!

As some know, we moved from NJ to WV last summer, which meant a new adventure, leaving our adult kids in NJ (sigh... only 4.5 hours away but such a difference, of course) and buying a business for Mike, finding a new bank job for me, settling our beloved 13 year old Pug, Spike, in our new house, and so on and so forth.

Mike trailblazed in June, opening the business on the 1st. Spike and I followed on August first - so of course June and July were just a traumatic mess in NJ, including storms, four day power outtages, a kid in ICU with a mystery virus, and all kinds of things that I survived in part thanks to the support of our wonderful children, but without Mike.

Just as I moved in August I had some health issues - nothing major, just weight and BP related, Middle Age catching up with me, thyroid issues - all boring and all energy affecting! Just in time for my job change(s)! Started with a job with a one hour commute, then hopped to something closer but with a psycho boss, then landed at the bank I'd been aiming/waiting for all along - 20 minutes from home, lovely people, but oh MY, how traumatic a job change is at 48, at least for me! My learning curve has lost much of its "curve", and seemed an endless straight line with no end in sight! Since this is THE job, the one that (I hope!) will last till retirement, I was determined to give 110%, and have finally reached a point where I feel like I'm doing well, getting along with everyone, and HAPPY! Yay! Although we live in a VERY rural area of WV, our bank is quite busy, and is very challenging, with a lot of customers who really need assistance in navigating the best solutions to their financial situations. I really adore helping people, get such a kick out of meeting new folks and getting to know them, and my co-workers have been lovely to me.

My mother has just moved here also, from Georgia, which has been its own set of problem-solving, adjustment making situations. For the last 30 years our relationship has been a long distance one, and we've seen each other once or twice a year for a few days, so we're definitely having to learn how to get along being in closer quarters! Her house is 25 minutes from ours, right next door to our auto repair shop, so she gets to dote on Mike (her very favorite person in the world) and frequently has Spike over for play dates while we're working.

Now, I just have learn to pace myself a bit, so that I arrive home with enough energy to do more than make dinner and go to bed!!

Anyway, to wrap up a much too long post, Mike has established my new sewing area downstairs in the basement. Still some things to add and adjust, but very workable! Today I'll spend unpacking my notions and sorting out the fabric that I pretty much just stuffed into cabinets when I moved!

Thanks for the private messages and emails that have made me feel so good and not-forgotten! As I said in another post, finding the energy to sew once more meant, of course, stopping here FIRST :-).

debinmalaga (and now West Virginia!)

Roxanne
February 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome back. I just joined in December so we have never been "introduced". By the way, I don't think you live too far from me, depending on where in Hampshire Co. you live. I am in Garrett County MD.

Cathy F
February 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Welcome back! Glad to hear your move was a good one and your happy in your job. We've missed seeing your posts!

cyndiofthevortex
February 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Happy to hear from you again, Deb! I'm also glad to hear you have a great job at a new bank. I think the last time you wrote you were working at the job from hell. I hope you'll be here often! It will be nice to get reacquainted.

Lisapc
February 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am a newbie so nice to meet you. I hope your life continues to settle down and that you get to sew a lot more.

Swedish leo
February 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Welcome back! I remember you from when i first joined. Glad to see you back!

aliaslaceygreen
February 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Yes! The name, it's ringing a bell....lol... Welcome back! Good for you,finding the perfect job...!

MayinJerset
February 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM
My you have had some busy times with moving and new jobs but seem to have a handle on it now.
I think we've 'talked' before when I asked if you lived anywhere near Paw Paw where DH's sister lives.
Once you get your new sewing room at set you'll really feel at home. Good Luck. May in Jersey

Patrice
February 18th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Glad your back and all is going well! Can't wait to see what you create in your new sewing room

Lenie
February 18th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Very good to see you back! Have lots of fun in your new sewing area!

toggpine
February 18th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Yea! Deb made it to WV and got rid of the psycho boss!

I am sure your sewing time will develop as you continue to settle in. Glad to see that you made it back to visit with us!

Hugs, Cathy

Jean Sewing Machine
February 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
What a busy year you've had! Hope all can adjust. To all the chnges and life as you knew it returns to normal! Glad to have you back!

K. McEuen
February 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Deb! Glad things are settling down for you and that you finally feel like you fit in at work. I'm sure that's a huge load off your shoulders.

SallyO'Sews
February 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hi, I've only been here since November - hope you and yours enjoy your new home.

bakermom
February 18th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Glad to see you back,Deb! I've been wondering how the move was going for you.
I can understand the whole job thing-i have a job I love and would really hate to start over somewhere else. It's hard enough to adjust to a new boss (which I've had to do in my present position) in a job you're comfortable with, let alone a whole new workplace. I hope see you here often again.

Jess1377
February 18th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Oh my gosh Deb, it has been a long time since you've posted. I thoroughly understand though about moving and re-adjusting, that can be really tough! I was basically gone in 2011 cause of a move from Washington state to Oklahoma. It takes awhile sometimes to get back into a normal routine for yourself and your family. Its good to see you back again!!! Take your time, your spot is still warm!!

quilter.martha
February 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Welcome back Deb! It was good to read all about your move and settling in. I know how long it can take--we've moved multiple times in the past 30 years. So now that you're back on the forum, we look forward to hearing more from you!

HdWench
February 18th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Welcome back Deb (I joined in Nov.) so nice to meet another Debbie (or are you Deborah? haha). Glad you are finally settling down, what an adventure it sounds like you've had. How nice to finally unpack and set up your sewing area.

Good luck

:-debbie in Arizona

pcbatiks
February 18th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Deb.......welcome back.......hope you will soon be sewing again.

Monique
February 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM
It is great to see you back here Deb. You have been very busy and I am glad you are getting back to sewing.

CrazyMtnLady
February 18th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Welcome back. Glad to hear you have gotten moved and settled. Sounds like you will soon be back to sewing up a storm. I am sure Spike has gotten use to his new home too.

meemeecyn
February 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Have missed you, Deb. So glad you are settled in WV, found good jobs, puppy settled and have a sewing room! I imagine it is an adjustment all around, especially with Mom closer and more involved. I bet that will turn out to be a blessing, though!
Welcome back and hope you stay in touch.
Cynthia

middlesis1966
February 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Welcome back Deb! It's so good to see that things are falling into place for you!

quiltingtrish
February 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Welcome back Deb! I'm glad everything worked out for your family and am glad you are back. I'm not on here as much as I'd like - too busy with working at the school and mainly totally drained from dealing with middle schoolers. If I could find a job where I could have the summers off, I'd leave this place in a minute. It's a shame that that's what it has come to. I am looking. Anyways, I've missed you and not good at PM'ing, but really, glad you are back.

Hugs,