PDA

View Full Version : The Last 4 Months of my Life

phoots
February 18th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Since I lost my Mom 4 months ago, I just haven't felt the quilting bug like I had when she was still here. Instead I caught the crocheting bug. I've probably got 7-8 different projects going right now. The one I'm working the hardest on is a baby afghan. I found out in January that my nephew's girlfriend is expecting in June. So, I'm trying to be the good great-Aunt-to-be and make an afghan. I also found a pattern for baby booties that look like high top sneakers! The baby shower is mid March so I'm trying to get those two done by the shower. Also, my sister asked me to make a baby quilt. I have 6 charm packs sitting in a box to be made into a quilt. I'm hoping to get the quilt done before June.

The other thing I've decided on is to take some classes since I'm having such a hard time finding a job. The first set of classes are Microsoft Office 2010. It was suggested to me that I take the 2010 version so I'm starting tomorrow. I'm taking them online so I'll be working at my own pace.

After that I'm looking into classes for legal assistant/secretary. The university here where I live offers classes online. I'm getting nervous about those. There's a lot into being a legal assistant. My other thought is Medical Billing and Coding. I don't know what to do. I do know that my Dad is behind me 100% and will pay for my classes.

Any advise on the classes??

Thank you, everyone!

Pam in Vegas

Musical_Starling
February 18th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I would definitely recommend Office 2010 as well, most businesses now use at least 2007, and 2007 and 2010 are very similar. Plus I would imagine that many are moving into Office 2010 as they are doing their upgrades so it will be a good starting point :) There is a Microsoft Certification exam you can write for MS Office, maybe something to look into in the future. As for courses, I'm not sure what it's like in the States but here the popular "base" course is Office Administration, and then people will take more specialty courses and do something like medical, legal, payroll, etc. You can't get an office job here now without that course.

I graduated from college in 2010 and I can assure you that I knew people at my school who were much older than you and a lot less knowledgeable about computers who did great :) The one thing I heard complaints about was that they couldn't type quick enough. The required speed was 50 wpm, and they never thought they'd get there (even the younger girls) and once the course was over they were going 70+ with ease lol But I think I remember you posting somewhere that you already had a pretty impressive typing speed, so that shouldn't be an issue :D

Edit: If you can get your hands on this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Office-2010-Volume-2nd-Edition/dp/0132840162/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361165172&sr=8-4&keywords=go!+office+2010
It's AWESOME! Depending on how familiar you are with Office 2010, it sometimes gets boring because it's all things you've done before, but it breaks it down so well that even someone who's never turned on a computer could figure out how to master the software. I have the 2007 version (that's the course I took for my Information Systems course) and it's great!

kensington
February 18th, 2013, 02:47 AM
I don't know you. But, I am sorry for your loss. I still miss my mom very very much. I think it's great that you are pressing forward and staying busy. She must have instilled a great independence in you. The only thing I can tell you about school (since my education is in Biblical studies) is that I know Medical Transcribing is very tedious, and long hours. But, you do make great money. My niece did that for years. She could have done it full time, but chose to go into office management instead. She now manages an office for four doctors and makes GREAT money. HTH.

auntiemern
February 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Pam, whatever you decide to do it should be something you will enjoy. Medical transcribing is not the same thing as billing and coding. Several of my DD's friends have gotten into that field, and work regular 40 hr weeks. Money is not going to buy you happiness, if you are miserable in your job. I would much rather work at a job I love, than to make big bucks working at something I hated.

HdWench
February 18th, 2013, 05:31 AM
(((Pam))) Sorry for the loss of your mother, while we don't know each other we have a love for creativeness and of course, people! Have friends that are legal secretaries, Medical billing and coding (my aunt did that from her home even) and ramping up your Office skills is always a plus. Legal secretaries my friend often complained of being asked to work too many hours for the pay and missed being with her teenagers! Since the lawyers work 80 hours, they expect plenty from the secretaries - Just in case you have children at home? The Medical side - hmm without getting too political, since our government has passed the health care bill and will be overseeing this, I am not sure what the current doctors or their staff will get down the road? My aunt was able to work from her house and do the coding and billing, so that's a plus on that side and it paid her bills.. My other friend is retired now but said it helps HER keep her doctor's in line in case they mis-charge or mis-code any of her appointments hehehe

The best of luck and I hope your pain eases while you keep busy and let time pass so all those lovely memories aren't so hard.

Debbie

Momofmonsters5
February 18th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I'm in college right now, I go full time online. Being a military spouse I have to switch jobs every time we move so I can share with you what I have learned. First my associates is done this summer yah, it's in business management. Next year my bachelors in human resource management and minor in finance will be done. I was doing a business management degree, my sister has a bacholers in finance and works for the state of texas as an aduitor. she told me to pick a specialty because alot of her friends were having issues finding a job with a general business degree. I took a computer class last year Microsoft office 2010, I thought it was an easy class ours was just a project for each program. As far as other classes I would take classes towards a degree that your passionate about. If you love doing billing then do that degree, look to see what's required. My daughter just started college I told her the same thing start with a class that will give you confidence to keep going. You'll do great it sounds like you have an awesome support system. Sorry for your loss, one day at a time I'm sure still has its struggles. Hope this helps forgot to add the best class I took was an advanced writing class last semester, that's a fabulous class for anyone. It covered emails, social networks and correspondence.

Meli
February 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM
((((HUGS)))) I have zero advice on college classes. I am in awe of anyone who tackles them. You have so much courage and strength that I know you'll do wonderfully at anything you set your mind to!

Monique
February 18th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Pam good for you. I think that is a wonderful idea. Up date your skills and learn new ones. I have no advice on what to take and I wish you all the best in the world with what you do decide to take.

I am also glad you have found a craft that you enjoy doing. Maybe the quilting bug may come back real soon and bite you again.

Best of luck, Pam, you certainly deserve it.

lilmouse
February 19th, 2013, 04:18 AM
I am so proud of you for going back to school....I think it will help you allot...you have gotten plenty of advice so I won't add to it but wanted to let you know I am behind you all the way.....!

Bubby
February 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Pam,

Learning Microsoft Office 2010 is a good thing. It actually has many features that are easier than the older version. There is a lot of job security in medical coding/billing and the pay is quite good. I worked in the legal field for many years and it's high stress. if I had a choice, I would pursue the medical field.