PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who is fearful to cut fabric?

RiverMomm
February 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I am an American living in Canada (henceforth referred to as CanadaLand, the Great White North, Snow Central or some other freaking cold word). I was and am SHOCKED at the price of fabric up here. I mean-who in their right mind would pay $20 a meter for fabric (don't answer that!).

When I started quilting last spring, I went on a fabric mission. Find nice fabric at a decent price. Let's just say, it doesn't happen up here. It's expensive and that's that. Ok, fine, let's look online for nice fabric. I quickly found MSQC. Oooohhh, the daily deals. (ok, Vicky take a breath and refocus on this post)

So, back to the topic at hand. I now find myself afraid to cut my fabric. I mean, geeeessh, its like cutting gold. If I screw up, it is screwed up for good-no running back to the store for more fabric. By the time I reorder and have it shipped, it will probably be discontinued.

I am petting my pretty fabric today . . . my precious. Time to be brave and cut it. Take that leap, bite the bullet, etc. Besides, if I cut wrong, I can always buy the DD. :)

shannonsaulter
February 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Being new I am always afraid of messing up but onward and upward

bkthomas
February 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Vicky, how funny - be brave and cut - If you make a little whoops you can cut it down or design around it.
Find an old sheet or something to practice cutting with - you can do it!

Hulamoon
February 16th, 2013, 05:51 PM
lol @my precious. I'm not scared to cut fabric,but I'm scared to pick out the wrong pattern that fit's the fabric. I want to get beyond d9p and sliced layer cakes. So I keep buying dd deals and hope they speak to me.

Shaylene99
February 16th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'm terrified every time I cut something. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. If that fails I always tell myself, well, I'm just being creative :)

Kaytessa
February 16th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm terrified every time I cut something. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. If that fails I always tell myself, well, I'm just being creative :)

Sounds like me, and I have to talk myself into cutting .

nana margaret
February 16th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I know how you feel, here in England moda fabric is about 13-14 per yard, one reason why I'll never amass a nice big stash and why, like you, I stand cutter in hand, terrified to make a wonky cut ( and I have, several times!). I am getting better though, I think you just have to show it who's boss, take a deep breath and go for it. :icon_bigsmile:

inspired
February 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Yes Yes and Yes! I am another cold Canadian and fabric prices are extreme here. I too could not bring myself to cut into my fabric stash for fear of wrecking it. I suddenly realized that I had better start using it because I can't stand the thought that when I am gone it will be in a yard sale. My daughter and daughter in law would probably have no use for it sooo I started cutting. I began to do the craftsy bom last year and when I had all the blocks on the wall I hated a lot of them. So I started making various blocks that interested me. Then I found paper piecing which is my current obsession...well talk about wasting fabric !!!!! But you know I am so enjoying the whole process and I get such inspiring ideas here and on the web that the fabric does not matter so much anymore. I do not know when I will finish my BOM but I am having a blast and heck I can always buy more fabric right!...Val

toggpine
February 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Send it to me. I'll cut it and send it back. :D
I was terrified to quilt the darned thing. My walking foot and I had a pretty serious disagreement the first time I used it and nearly ruined the top. I think threats to turn it into a garden implement must have worked. We are working together much, much better.

I'd suggest that you go to a thrift shop, rummage, garage, or yard sale and buy some cotton shirts. Cut them apart and practice with those. You can make some nice things from them and not worry about ruining your expensive quilting cottons until you have gained some more experience.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Be brave, my dear friend! Just plan and go ahead and cut! You can always make lemons out of lemonade!

janluna
February 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I think everyone on this site has done this. I still hesitate sometimes. Then I realize that I am allowing a piece of fabric or a pattern intimidate me. So, I pull up my "big girl clothes" and with ruler and rotary cutter in hand, I attack. And I read the pattern twice, measure twice, cut once, and then check my 1/4" seam to make sure it's good, and go for it. If it's wrong, I use what I can for another pattern that I am familiar with and make something else. I've done some pretty neat stuff, if I do say so myself. :lol: So, just grab the bull by the horns, and give it a go. The worse that can happen is, you will learn something new every time. "Practice makes perfect", well maybe not perfect but it is all a learning experience, and perfect isn't all it's cracked up to be. Better will come from non-perfect, experience from practice, and pride in your work will follow. And most importantly, have FUN with it! A good laugh over our mistakes, make great stories.
Have fun Sweetie, and just go for it! Hugs, Jan L.

New York Sue
February 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shape-Cut-Rotary-Cutting-Tool/12335993?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyV iewedItem
I tried this for the first time today.
AMAZING. I would HIGHLY recommend, especially for NEWBIES, like me!

kensington
February 17th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I have anxiety when I cut fabric the first time. After a few cuts, I'm fine. But, I do have to remind myself to check before cutting. Measure twice, cut once. LOL

Lisapc
February 17th, 2013, 01:26 AM
I love cutting fabric. I love cutting fabric for clothing. Very few straight lines to worry about. Cutting fabric for quilts is a different thing. I drive myself crazy measuring over and over and over again. I bought some dots, little round pieces of sandpaper with adhesive on one side that go on your rulers. I put them on. They keep the rulers from sliding. I love them. I now love cutting quilting fabric.

Just do it!

Musical_Starling
February 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Oh Vicky, I understand COMPLETELY! It feels so wrong to be cutting up something that you almost had to give up your first born for lol If you think prices are bad in Quebec, take a trip to "Da Rock" and you may just be appreciative of your LQS :D

HdWench
February 17th, 2013, 03:34 AM
ohmygoodness Do you have relatives that live n the states you can have monthly Fabric shipments lol then Cut to your heart's delight. The first few cuts are always hard for me, I'm too new at this, Is this the right pattern for this fabric, we can drive ourselves crazy haha!

Measure an extra time but once you begin you know you have to keep going to the end, so have fun on the ride after hopping on.

Ah thrift store finds a great idea.

Good luck

Lissau
February 17th, 2013, 04:56 AM
$20 a metre is cheap here in Australia we pay $25 a metre upwards and we pay $50 for a jelly roll or a layer cake........charm packs are $20 up in price

SisterDi
February 17th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I was paralyzed with fear the first time I had a stack of yardage to cut for a quilt!

I also know how much it costs for fabric down under, I paid an embarrassing amount of money for a meter of fabric from NZ for my rugby loving nephew...for a pillowcase. At least I didn't have to cut that one so much. :lol:

WendyI
February 17th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the great white north AND to my shared anxiety!! In case you missed them, (be thankful lol) I have posted several rants on the cost of fabric in Canada! Then I ranted about the cost of shipping fabrics TO Canada!! Good luck!!

teasipper
February 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I thought cotton fabric prices in British Columbia were extremely high, but I see I should consider myself fortunate to be paying $10-15 per meter for good cottons. Our BC online store puts on a Quilters special at 20% off each month and that helps too. Looking around the shops both here and in the US, the pre cuts are priced about the same as in the US. Of course that could change if our dollar sinks lower against the US dollar. The down side is that we don't have the variety here that is available in the US, but that applies to everything. I would love to purchase from MSQC, but by the time it gets into the hands of a custom broker it gets very pricey.

I've also purchased on line from a shop in Ontario and received wonderful fabrics at a very reasonable price $10 per meter and less for the sale items. I think I'll place an order for more fabric now.........

middlesis1966
February 17th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I was the same way. The very fabric that I had in my hands to make something with was how I got hooked up with my local quilt guild. I was carrying it in my hands around the store and this lady asked me what I was going to make. I said a table runner. She had told me about the guild and that was a few years ago. She would ask me all the time if I ever made that runner. I told her no. I loved the fabric so much that I just couldn't cut it. She would laugh at me every time. Just cut it she would tell me. Needless to say, that very fabric is still not cut, lol. I just love it!

RiverMomm
February 18th, 2013, 01:08 AM
LOL Paula! I didn't cut my special fabric either. I chickened out and used some precuts. I will save "my precious" for another day. Or I will just look at it with love every once in a while.

I did cut other fabric. Once I start, I usually do pretty good. I have only miscut badly one time (and for some reason, I miscut it 3 times!-same math mistake each and every time-its a meter to yard issue)