PDA

View Full Version : Question for cat owners

laf512
February 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Since a lot of you have cats, I thought I'd ask this question here :) How often do you completely change out the litter in your cat's box? We are using scoopable litter, and I clean it out daily. I just didn't know how often I need to totally dump it out and start fresh.

SandyWhite
February 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Well Lori, I haven't lived with a cat for many years. (She was adorable. I called her Agatha.) Anyway, I can't remember how often I changed her box completely, but not once a day. I'd scoop out once a day or more.

Suzyq
February 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hello fellow kitty lover! I find whenever there's a smell it's time to change it all.. Only the nose knows as they say! Of course with only one kitty, the litter will stay fresh longer...

laf512
February 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Well Lori, I haven't lived with a cat for many years. (She was adorable. I called her Agatha.) Anyway, I can't remember how often I changed her box completely, but not once a day. I'd scoop out once a day or more.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear! Oops! I only scoop out the clumps every day. I don't completely change it daily.

laf512
February 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Hello fellow kitty lover! I find whenever there's a smell it's time to change it all.. Only the nose knows as they say! Of course with only one kitty, the litter will stay fresh longer...

OK, thanks! I had completely changed it today since it had been a week, but it didn't smell at all. Guess I could have waited longer which will be easier on the wallet since it takes over 1/2 a bucket of litter to fill up his gigantic box!

jingleme
February 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Suzyq nose (knows) all kitties aren't the same size.

Iris Girl
February 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM
we have only one kitty atm and we completely change it once a week to 10 days depending on smell. we use a scoopable litter with deoderant and scoop the clumps every day.

Amber
February 17th, 2013, 01:20 AM
We just got a new litter system called Breeze. No more of that fine litter tracked all over. In the process of transitioning from the old clumping type to this new system.

Musical_Starling
February 17th, 2013, 03:21 AM
First, use THIS litter:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-Essentials-Cat-Litter-10.5-lb/12166399

It's the only kind we use anymore! Not dusty like the clay litters, although if you are using a clay litter some kitties will freak out over the feel of this stuff (it's much lighter and softer) so be prepared that they may not take to it right away and try mixing litters and slowly phase out the old one. It also smells really nice :) Not a strong perfume smell like some others, but still scented just enough to make it smell nice for days.

We have two cats, and we scoop daily and completely toss about once a week. Basically once it starts to change colour (this litter turns a darker orangey-red) and it doesn't smell nice anymore, that's when it gets tossed. Every kitty is different and litter boxes are all different sizes so I usually go by smell and colour to know when it needs dumping :)

laf512
February 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out those litters next time I am at the store.

aliaslaceygreen
February 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I also use the Arm and Hammer.... but not that particular one, but Double Duty ... I have senior cats, with long hair, and diabetes... Last year we reached a place where he wasn't cleaning himself well, but he was getting wet when using the box. And regular litter was hardening in his hair, between his toes and up the back of his legs...it caused him to not be able to walk, stuck between in that long, Maine Coon hair....so.... I would have to soak him in the bathtub. Yeah. Fun....

The AH does clump, but doesn't harden...I have tried to switch out on occasion, but we go right back to the same issue...

fliggie
February 17th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Sprinkle about 1/4 cup baking soda in the box once a week. No smellies.

CrazyMtnLady
February 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I am lucky..my Chester is housebroke (thinks he is a dog) He was raised with my pug Gator and our old dog Tucker that passed away about 3 years ago. Chester would go out with the dogs when they went and come back in with them. The new additions, now 8 months old are pretty much housebroken also. I will let them in for a little while and them make them go out. The only time I had a litter box is when the kittens were born and the momma was in the house all the time with them and they were getting trained.

phoots
February 18th, 2013, 01:57 AM
My BF and I have 5 indoor cats and two litter boxes. We use the clumping litter and scoop out the pee and poo everyday. We add litter as needed. Other than that, we don't completely dump it out and start fresh. Now, when I used clay litter in another lifetime, I dumped it every week and scrubbed the litter box.

Now, I would suggest after a number of years to buy a new litter box. Because the cats scratch the plastic, it is my feeling that germs and bacteria can get in there and grow. I would say every 4-5 yrs buy a new litter box.

That's just me.

Pam in Vegas

HdWench
February 18th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Good topic (cuz I'm a crazy cat lover too) - we have 4 now (lost 2 elders last year) and I have 5 boxes - One is from a restaurant supply store, it's the Dish pan size they put the dishes from the tables into? About the size of 2 and deep for our 1 boy thank god.

I used the Tidy Cat is yellow tubs for Multiple cats (almost all our adopted cats are front declawed so no-one goes out here!), and I'm able to keep them in our enclosed garage with a cat door between the laundry room and garage. Scoop daily and add litter as needed, but don't get the box more than 1/3 way full -- As Trish mentioned any long-haired cats if the box is too full, it can stick to their fur causing troubles (BIG ones if they lick it off and it clumps inside!).. I totally dump every month - usually by adding a small amount at a time, it just seems that's when it get's down to not much - Do not use Pine Sol around cats (read the product and web info many are allergic to this) and don't use a heavy scented anything to clean the box after it's totally empty - I use mild dish washing liquid, scrub with their special toilet brush and let sun dry a few boxes at a time.

My neighbor thought she was doing a great thing dumping the entire box out Daily and scrubbing it - her cat began to "Avoid" the box!! We talked, he is doing better but it still took time to let the smell come back enough for him to continually use it!! Better to let it be a tiny smelly (but clean scooped) then have them avoid it - yes!

hmm If you have problems with the Dust (or a smaller spot like a closet open for your boxes) I highly recommend the Tidy Cat for Small Spaces -- we use it in our 5th wheel when we travel all summer and people can't even smell the FIVE boxes!! Much less dust as well, but pricey when we are at home and I don't care if my garage floor get's a bit of dust on it.

Totally agree with Pam! Except the very hard plastic dish pan sized box, I replace all ours (they are like $5.00??) every 2 years due to worries about the germ built up where they scratch to get out, back claws here but still for a few bucks not worth them getting sick and creating larger bills.

ah sorry for going on, sharing what 6 cats... err now 4 indoors only

grammakim04
February 19th, 2013, 03:41 AM
I have 2 11 yr old cats and use 1 litter box. It gets cleaned out every Tues morning and they know it. Every Tuesday morning when I get up, they are sitting by their litter box meowing just to remind me it's time to clean it out.....whether it needs it or not, they are quite the pair.

I use a Purina brand of cat litter, works fantastic for both of them...no smell at all.

Kim

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2013, 09:32 AM
My two are indoor/ out door kittys, so the box doesn't get too bad. I dumped it today, because I bought some new litter but I'm going to look for the essientials to try out. I had a friend that dumped everyday too. That's a lot of money!

laf512
February 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I appreciate it!