PDA

View Full Version : Do It Anyway

Musical_Starling
February 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
- Mother Teresa

HdWench
February 15th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Dee that is beautiful!!

I will add one -- IF someone is "trying" to fit in -- gee? Find it in your heart to LET them

:-Debbie

GuitarGramma
February 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Beautiful. The first time I read that, I was heavily invovled in school politics and had created a lot of enemies (while trying to do the right thing). I burst into sobs, feeling like someone had finally understood me and what I was trying to do.

Thanks for posting it here.

Sewbee
February 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
- Mother Teresa

Thank You Dee for posting this! I had not heard this quote before but it is so right on target!

pcbatiks
February 15th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I had never heard this quote before either........but it is beautiful. Thanks for posting it, Dee. Hope you have a great weekend!

Musical_Starling
February 16th, 2013, 12:08 AM
You're very welcome ladies! It is one of my very favourite quotes, and I plan on making something with this on it to display in my home whenever I can find the perfect spot :) I keep a lot of little plaques scattered around to remind me and hubby that we have a lot to be grateful for and that we should live every day in a way that makes US happy, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

bkthomas
February 16th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Love this...Thanks Dee!

auntiemern
February 16th, 2013, 12:40 AM
[People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.] I do try to live by most of these. Not all are attainable by me. Forgiveness, is one of those things I have trouble with. It depends on the depth of the offense, whether I am able to forgive or not. If I have to forgive the abuser of my grand son, to get to Heaven, then I guess I'm not gonna make it, because that will NEVER happen. I am also not tolerable of phonies. I am what I am, and do not pretend to be anything else. That being said, not all people are that straight forward with who they really are. But always, without fail, that persons true colors will shine, if but for a split second. At that time, any acceptance of that person, and their phony persona I am done with. That doesn't make me a bad or less caring person. That just makes me a person that chooses not to be accepting of everyone or everything, just because others are willing to. It is between me and God, and that is just fine with me.

CrazyMtnLady
February 16th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Reminded me of one of my favorite Marina McBride songs....Do It Anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3S7VcyOPU

shannonsaulter
February 16th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I am like Marylin I am who I am make no qualms about it I call it like I see it! So some people feel I am harsh but at least if I am talking about you behind your back you know I have already said it to your face!

auntiemern
February 16th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Another one of my greatest faults or attributes, depending on how you look at it is, I am brutally honest. And my true friends know this, and love me in spite of myself.
I am like Marylin I am who I am make no qualms about it I call it like I see it! So some people feel I am harsh but at least if I am talking about you behind your back you know I have already said it to your face!

HandsOffItsMine
February 16th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Marilyn said it very well. I have no desire to have someone like that in my circle of friends after their true colors were shown. There aren't enough hours in the day as it is to do what needs to be done with my family and friends who share the same beliefs and values.

kensington
February 16th, 2013, 02:16 AM

I have to think she heard what Mother Teresa had said. That is so spot on for the writing. It's a good song too.

I have to always remind myself that it doesn't matter what someone does to me or says about me, I can forgive it. I've been forgiven so much, there is no way I can deny anyone else that same thing I need so often. KWIM?

I will always keep building, creating, dreaming, even if it can be lost. I can't get stuck in the place where life is stagnant and I don't grow.

Musical Starling, thanks for posting this, I enjoy the writings of Mother Teresa. God Bless.

Mpyles
February 16th, 2013, 02:41 AM
My interpretation of this quote is that I should be doing the things I do because they are right. That its not about the other person, it's about being good and true to myself!

Musical_Starling
February 16th, 2013, 02:45 AM

I have to think she heard what Mother Teresa had said. That is so spot on for the writing. It's a good song too.

You're right :) According to Wikipedia:

"It is an inspirational song based on a favorite poem of Mother Teresa's, written by Kent Keith, which he originally titled, 'The Paradoxical Commandments'."

I had never heard this song before, but it is absolutely beautiful :)

Here is the original:

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

Either version is certainly words to live by :)

Musical_Starling
February 16th, 2013, 02:48 AM
My interpretation of this quote is that I should be doing the things I do because they are right. That its not about the other person, it's about being good and true to myself!

Exactly :)

Kaytessa
February 16th, 2013, 03:07 AM
The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith

A really good book. One that you'll read over and over..

Renate
February 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks a lot Dee, for this wonderful words of an unforgetable person. This makes my day

auntiemern
February 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Could not agree more. I try to do the right thing all the time. I don't put myself or my possessions above anything else. I give freely and ask for nothing in return. I do not need acceptance or seek out approval from anyone. I will not say what I think someone wants to hear, to gain their friendship, or make myself look better in the eyes of anyone. That being said, I find it offensive when people care more about themselves and what they have, rather than what they can do for those less fortunate. Selfishness and self servitude are 2 traits I cannot tolerate. Actions speak louder than words, and words speak volumes. Words spoken in anger or in haste are generally more truthful, than those that are carefully thought out. Truth always prevails. I know when I stand before my God, then and only then will the judgement passed on me will be relevant.

janluna
February 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I agree with what's been written here. I loved what Mother Teresa stood for. She was a Saint on earth, and I'm sure she is a most beautiful Angel in Heaven. Marilyn, you are right to tell it like it is. God Bless you. Hugs, Jan L.

HdWench
February 16th, 2013, 01:39 PM
You're very welcome ladies! It is one of my very favourite quotes, and I plan on making something with this on it to display in my home whenever I can find the perfect spot :) I keep a lot of little plaques scattered around to remind me and hubby that we have a lot to be grateful for and that we should live every day in a way that makes US happy, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Inspirational !

And no-one should have to "Try" to fit in?? You love fabric, quilts, sewing or craft *Bingo* Hope you've also watched the Best Tuts on the Internet and come sit and have coffee with us women and men.