PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem and need some help..........

LanaMonteith
December 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I have just been given a diagnosis of lung cancer, inoperable..........Last fall I was given a queen size hand pieced quilt top of a grandmothers flower garden.............my plans were to have the local seniors quilt it for me for my husband, but now money is an issue. I don't want to have it mmachine quilted as it has so much more meaning if its hand pieced, but......is there anyone out there who would like a "Project"....I can't afford to pay someone to do it for me as I have no insurance and am on disability and hubby is also so I really want this piece to go to someone who can at least finish it and appreciate the beauty of an 89 year old woman's handwork in the top also. I'll be happy to ship it to you if I can just feel that you will enjoy it. I had so many plans that now are all going quickly away and this is just one of them. Sounds sort of crazy but its all the truth and I've been sort of crazy all my life. Please let me know soon so I can at least rest that one thing I need to do is done. Thanks, Lana Monteith P S I'm new here only been on a few times but I trust you guys a lot.

toggpine
December 14th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Lana,
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am pretty good at piecing, but not so skilled as a quilter as to take on something of that caliber. I am sure that there are some wonderful hand quilters that will be willing to help you out.
I'll add you to our prayers.
Cathy

LanaMonteith
December 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Maybe I'm not being real clear here. I'm not looking for anyone to do this for me...........that WAS the plan but "crap happened" and now I just want this wonderful piece to have a good home with someone who will appreciate it as much as I do. I know the time involved in hand quilting a quilt and I wouldn't ever even think of asking someone to do it for me. Just trying to clear out all of my UFO's and clean things up. Sounds stupid I guess, but I have this vision of being gone and having everyone think "What was she thinking hanging onto this junk!!!!" Know what I mean???? I just want all my ducks in a row before I kill them. lol. Thanks again Lana

janluna
December 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I would love to hand quilt a quilt like this. It sounds so beautiful. I just completed a hand quilting course and would be honored to give this quilt a home. Let me know what you decide. I'm sure you will receive many offers. Thank you for your consideration. I will love it and take good care of it. And pass it along as an heirloom to my family or I could send it back to you so you could do the same. Hugs, Jan Luna

toggpine
December 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Lana,
I understood your request. I also understood my limitations, especially in relation to hand quilting. As much as I would have loved to take it on, especially knowing it's history and importance, I am afraid your grandmother's quilt top would have languished in my own UFO pile. I did not want that to happen. I DID want you to know that people care and are willing to help. I guess my comment was more of a supportive hug of encouragement. I can't think of a better person to take on your quilt than Jan L. You can check with the other ladies in the daily chat thread about her capacity for caring. It did not surprise me at all to see her offer to you. I hope you take her up on it.
Keep in touch!
Cathy

janluna
December 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you Cathy, that is so sweet of you. Bless you. Hugs, Jan

patticakes
December 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I agree, Jan is a wonderful, caring person who would do justice to your wonderful guilt with every stitch and hold your gift close to her heart forever. I can just tell that about her by her genuine and loving nature on this board.

Lana what ever gives you a peaceful mind is important right now. You are in my prayers each day.
Patti

sally
December 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Lana my heart goes out to you! My dad had the same diagnosis as you so he embraced life and he too wanted to leave knowing things we "arranged". How sweet of you to pass on your quilt. My second cousin who is now 97 just gave away a quilt her mother, my great aunt had made. She was sorry that she didn't ask me if I wanted it but at the time didnt know about my passion for quilting and anything vintage. She gave it to someone who will cherish it though and I am truly pleased about that.
I would be honored if you pass your quilt on to me and I will insure it gets hand quilted, but who ever you give it too from this great group I know will look after it!
I will leave you with a poem of sorts that my dad loved and found peace with...

FAR AWAY THERE IN THE SUNSHINE
ARE MY HIGHEST ASPIRATIONS.
I MAY NOT REACH THEM BUT I CAN LOOK UP
AND SEE THEIR BEAUTY, BELIEVE IN THEM
AND TRY TO FOLLOW THEM.

LynneLeavell
December 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost both parents to cancer and lost my father-in-law to lung cancer. I hope however takes the quilt will give it a good home and cherish it and the thought behind it. You and your family are in my prayers.

Lynne

P. S. If you have any fabric or scraps that need a good home please let me know and I will see how I can help you. I just can't take on any more projects as I have some that need to finished.

sewsoft
December 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Lana, I'm so sorry my heart goes out to you and your family. I have always wanted to hand stitch a quilt, I've never tried one though. I have taken a couple of quilting classes though. I have a quilt that was a dear friends that passed away and I gained many memories of her through her quilt. I can feel all of the love and history that was hand quilted into her quilt and many memories. Hand stitched quilts have a big story they tell. They tell the feeling the person had when stitching it etc. They tell history. Quilts are truly a blessing to have. Whom ever you chose will be very blessed to have and hold that quilt of generations and history.

shell.scraps
December 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Lana -

I am so sorry. If there is anything you need please feel free to let me know. I would love to hand quilt your quilt for you, as I'm sure there are others here that would love to help you out with this request.

I just did a fundraiser for cancer awareness...I shaved my head. One of the other women that did it with me is a good friend of mine and next month will be the 4 year anniversary of her son's death from a brain tumor. His too was inoperable. He had a Pontine Glioma.

We will be praying for you.

sewsoft
December 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I really think that you should keep your quilt so that you can enjoy it as your original plans. Just see who can volunteer their time and stitch it for you. Everyone needs a quilt. Maybe see who's on this board that lives in your area so you don't have to ship it. Maybe they would be willing to do that or even check with a local quilt/ sewing store that offers quilt classes and maybe the girls in that quilt class would be willing to come together and do it (explain the situation) for you out of kindness. That way you don't have to pay money shipping it off or any money at all for the services.

janluna
December 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I agree. I just told Lana I would take her quilt only if her church group can't or won't quilt her quilt for her. She is going to contact them first. I'm going to ask my group of ladies to help, if not I will do it myself. Anyway, its important to her and to her husband to get the quilt back. So it will be given back. I couldn't in good conscious keep it from her and her Hubby. Besides if her group will quilt it when she's feeling good she can put a few stitches in it too. That makes it that much more special. So she is going to let me know how to proceed. We will take it from there. Hugs to Lana and everyone else, Jan L

sally
December 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I also agree with Jan. Keeping it in your family Lana would be the best course of action!

shell.scraps
December 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I agree. I just told Lana I would take her quilt only if her church group can't or won't quilt her quilt for her. She is going to contact them first. I'm going to ask my group of ladies to help, if not I will do it myself. Anyway, its important to her and to her husband to get the quilt back. So it will be given back. I couldn't in good conscious keep it from her and her Hubby. Besides if her group will quilt it when she's feeling good she can put a few stitches in it too. That makes it that much more special. So she is going to let me know how to proceed. We will take it from there. Hugs to Lana and everyone else, Jan L

YAY!!!! I'm so glad that you are going to do that..