PDA

View Full Version : Can I have your favorite Blueberry muffin recipe?

Lisapc
February 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I have a quart sized bag of blueberry's in my freezer from my own blueberry bushes that I planted last spring. What I don't have is a good muffin recipe. I want one that showcases the taste of the blueberries but ins't too overly loaded with sugar.

I do not want a sugary bakery recipe. I want a moist, slightly sweet yummy recipe.

Anyone? Please?

Jean Sewing Machine
February 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
My recipe comes out of a box! Guess I'm no help! By the way Krusteas mixes are delicious!

cyndiofthevortex
February 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I have a prize-winning (if I do say so myself) Blueberry Buckle recipe that our family just loves, but it has a sugary crumb topping on it. I bet your blueberries are delicious! Our bushes never took off. They are tiny little things that never produce anything.

patchiereggie
February 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
This is my absolute favorite, this are a hit wherever I take em. (Translating this to english as I go, sorry for the metric system, but you can change that on the internet somewhere I guess)

Ingredients:
450 gramms flour
4,5 teaspoons of baking powder(soda)
115 gramms brown sugar
150 gramms of fresh or frozen blueberries (it's ok to use a little more)
2 eggs
250 millileters milk
125 gramms melted butter

I'm guessing the basics of mixing this are clear? If not...
In one bowl mix the dry ingredients, add frozen blueberries.
In another bowl mix milk and eggs, then add to the dry ingredients, add melted butter, while whisking. Don't overmix, there have to lumps. Butter muffin pan, put in dough and I sprinkle just a little bit of brown sugar on top, it makes a lovely crust.

patchiereggie
February 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Oh I forgot, preheat oven to 210 Celsius, bake muffins for 20-25 minutes.
I really like these, because they are not too sweet.

rebeccas-sewing
February 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Just entered my first "users notes" with your recipe. Look forward to giving this one a try. Did you mean 4 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder or baking soda? They are not the same thing. (In the UK they call baking soda, corn flour.) The metric isn't a problem. My kitchen scale can be switched to enter either type of measure.

Lisapc
February 8th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you and I will give it a try if I can convert the measurements.

bakermom
February 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I have used this recipe for years:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Berry-Cream-Muffins

It is very versatile- I omit the berries to get a nice sour cream muffin(DS's favorite), or substitute chopped apples for the berries and add cinnamon for an apple muffin. I add cranberries and orange rind at Christmas and bake as loaves.

A hint for keeping berries from sinking-toss them in a bit of flour before adding to your batter.

patchiereggie
February 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Just entered my first "users notes" with your recipe. Look forward to giving this one a try. Did you mean 4 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder or baking soda? They are not the same thing. (In the UK they call baking soda, corn flour.) The metric isn't a problem. My kitchen scale can be switched to enter either type of measure.

Then it's baking powder

K. McEuen
February 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM
My recipe is kinda like Jean's, except it is Pillsbury and they are frozen blueberry "pucks" of dough. I got a box of 30 dozen frozen pucks for less than $8.00. You break them apart, drop them into muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. From frozen to hot muffins in a half hour and they are good too, not terribly sweet. Plus, no dishes to wash after, just the muffin pan.

craftyrad
February 8th, 2013, 11:26 PM
These are said to be the recipe from the old Jordan Marsh bakery (Jordan's Furniture stores sells muffins from what they say is the JM recipe now)

"Marshy" Muffins
Makes 1 dozen

c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 c. unsifted flour
2 eggs
c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
tsp. salt
2 c. blueberries
2 tsp. sugar for top

On low speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until blended. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with milk and vanilla. Mash cup of blueberries and stir all berries in by hand. Grease muffin tins well with butter and grease top surface of pans as well. Pile mix high in each muffin cup. Sprinkle sugar over tops. Bake in 375F. oven for 30 minutes. Cool in pan at least 30 minutes.

buckeyequilter
February 8th, 2013, 11:51 PM
My recipe is even easier. Little Debbie...makes them for me. I usually take a muffin (banana nut or blueberry) to work with me.

Quiltlover
February 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
My recipe is similar to several of the others....Walmart bakery sells yummy ones....in a 4 pack. They are huge and I try to only eat half of one...but it is so tempting to go back and nibble some more. Had half of one for a late breakfast today.

rebeccas-sewing
February 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I've made Jordan Marsh's Blueberry Muffins for years. They are delicious.

ClairS
May 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
I like to cook with coconut flour, its more healthy and less sweet, so here is my favourite blueberry muffins with coconut flour recipe:
6 eggs
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons frozen blueberries
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Bubby
May 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Just click on my blog below and my recipe wth pictures will pop up.

ClairS
May 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I tried to make Jordan Marsh's muffins yesterday, they are really great! Here is one more blueberry muffins recipe that I often make http://purecoconutjuice.com/recipes/coconut-flour-bread-recipe-and-other-tasty-things/ (the last recipe on the page)

Miss Sheri
May 23rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Here is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe:

For 12 muffins you will need:
1 3/4 Cups Flour
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspon Salt
1 - 1 1/2 Cups fresh or frozen Blue berries
3/4 Cup of Milk
1 egg
1/3 Cup melted Butter or Margarine

Combine dry ingredients, stir in blue berries, add melted butter, whisk milk and egg together and then add to the mix. Stir gently with a fork until moistened, should still be lumpy. Spoon batter into lined or greased muffin cups. Bake at 400* for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.

Other wonderful variations: Blackberries instead of blueberries, or Peel and grate 1 medium Apple and add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter, then ~ top the batter with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar before baking.

GrammaBabs
June 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM
My favorite is the basic one from the Bisquick (betty crocker ) website.... so easy... not much to add and yes, flour the fruit! I make cranberry and mandarin orange muffins a lot!!

DCM
June 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM
My stepdad has to watch his sugar intake (not officially diabetic but really has to watch it) -- my mom makes these muffins for him all the time -- note they can be made with sugar or splenda.

WHOLE WHEAT BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 cups whole wheat flour
cup white sugar*
teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
cup unsweetened applesauce

1 pint fresh, washed blueberries (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with foil liners.

Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.

Whisk oil, egg, milk, and applesauce together in a separate bowl until smooth.

Stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until moistened. Carefully stir in the blueberries.

Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them full.

Bake until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

*Note………for anyone who has to limit sugar intake, I substituted cup of Splenda for the white sugar. They turned out fine. Mine baked in exactly 20 minutes.

auntiemern
June 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Otis Spunkmeyer all the way. Delicious and no mess to clean up.

Renate
June 26th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Lisa, I miss you