PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful but dangerous Wednesday

Dragonfly
December 8th, 2010, 03:45 AM
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj264/vegemite_yum/cbair.jpg

It is now Wednesday afternoon here, and I have just got my power back on after 15 hours. Last night we had in excess of the entire months average rainfall in one night and an electrical light and sound show provided by mother nature that was exceptionally spectacular. The piccy above has nothing on our sky last night, they recorded 96,000 lightning strikes including to power substations, hence the power outages across most of the state, some people still don't have power. But oh, it was glorious, we ended up going to bed with all the curtains open so we could watch it and eventually went to sleep despite the thunderous crashing and heavy rain.

Sadly some places didn't see the beauty for the damage and I feel deeply for the emergency services and other workers who had to be out there and we are all so grateful for the work they do in these times.

Hoping everyone has a lovely day.

I hope this pic is smaller for others, its being silly and large for me again.

Blondie
December 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/holidays/chr/bltb.jpg

Good Morning!
Lynn, I love a good ol' thunder and lightning storm but not the damage that can go along with it. Ours are generally in the summer, but then our winter is your summer, right? Hope you have found no damage. Being without power is a bummer. Sometimes it just takes a bird to land on our wires and we lose it. Oh, the joy of living rural.

Laurie, I am sorry to read of your in-laws health. It sounds as if you love them dearly, which will be of a lot of peace and comfort for you, your hubs, and them while your FIL undergo treatment. Will keep you on my prayer list.

Cathy, I just don't understand abuse and/or hoarding. We have a neighbor down the road that has been called on for years. It is literally like a zoo there in years past. Sad.
I would have been concerned if I had been given those directives, glad that it turned out okay for all.

Ladies, I have a semi busy day; will check in later. Be good to yourselves.
Blessings
Blondie

patticakes
December 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Good morning,

Lynn - I would have been hiding under the covers scared to death! Don't like storms, but I am getting better than I used to be - would have been hiding in the closet in my younger days! ps - the picture is small at my end.

Blondie - another cute pic! Hope your semi busy day goes well!

Not much time to hang around the computer these days. Too much to do to get ready for my family Christmas at my daughter's place this weekend. It is the first time since 1995 that all my kids and myself will be in the same place to celebrate Christmas together. Of course I am stressing out trying to make it perfect!

I miss my quilting so much!! Can't wait to get going again - maybe after this weekend!

Take care all!
Patti

Keepstitchin
December 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Wild weather here in Seattle this morning! Thunder and lightening, really heavy rain...but, at least it is not snowing!!

Thanks, Ladies for all your prayers and thoughts, it means a great deal to us!

Cathy-Animal hoarding is just so terrible for the animals, I wish you all the help you need to continue your mission. We have had quite a few of these incidents here in the last couple of years, and it is heartbreaking! Those animals are blessed to have you fighting for them.

Lynn-Quite a storm in Australia!! Great picture! I am glad you and your family are safe!

I have a ton of homework to finish today, so I'd better get started! I hope everyone has a safe and blessed day!

xoxox

janluna
December 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Lynn, I would have been under the bed not in it. My hubby thinks its fun. I get terrified of them when they are like you said yours was. I know, it's out now, I'm a yellow bellied chicken. I've been afraid of storms since I was a little kid. But I'm glad you enjoyed the light show.
Laurie, I'll pray for your in laws health and healing. So sorry your father in law is ill.
Blondie, have a good productive day. Sometimes being busy leaves us tired but happy with our accomplishments. Have fun.
Patti, you will have a perfect Christmas celebration just because everyone is together. Yay!!
Those Christmases are the best. Enjoy!
Love to all, have a great day, Jan

toggpine
December 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you all for the pats on the shoulder. It is hard when we get these types of call outs. Normally we are deployed to rescue animals that have had an accident on a trail or are facing flooding situations and need to be evacuated. Those endings are usually much more rewarding.
I don't understand these people either. Apparently the authorities found a few animals at a livestock auction that they think the owner may have dumped just prior to having the place raided. The one pony was in pretty bad shape, but is under veterinary care now. They are investigating that angle further. It is sad.
All forms of abuse are sad though. There are many more cases that never see the light of the TV cameras. We have been on transport standby for several of these in the last year involving large numbers of small animals that would need to be distributed among multiple shelters to handle the volume.

Laurie: I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I added him to my prayers the evening I read about your family's struggle with the cancer.
Lynn: I like a good storm, but the lightening freaks me out a bit. It is pretty to watch though. I guess it is that way with most storms. If you are snug and safe they can be fantastic to observe. If they are causing you damage or hardship then the beauty if Mother Nature can become misery. She is so fickle! I know one of the girls said they only got a few inches of snow while every place around her got snow in feet!
Patti: How much fun to have the whole family together! Jan is right, it's everybody together that makes it perfect. I think some of our most memorable holidays together are when the house was packed to the hilt with family. We had one where we lost power right after we had cleaned up after dinner due to a nasty freezing rain storm. The power was out for a few days, but we cooked our meals in the fireplace and played cards at night by lamp light. We had the best time, except one aunt who couldn't seem to adjust to the idea of a sleeping bag. I think that your family will have a great time even if things aren't "just so". No sense in tying your tail in a knot over it!
Keepstitchin': It was wild weather here last night and this morning. The sun has come out and it looks like it might be a decent afternoon. Good luck on our studies!
Gina: I am glad that you are feeling better.
Sewsoft: I hope you manage to thaw out a bit, even if you don't get warm. I'll try to get a photo of the flax bags for you today. Although, I have had trouble getting them to upload here without the computer timing out. I'll see what I can do.
Blondie: I hope your semi-busy day is very productive, but not too stressful!

Speaking of semi-busy, I need to get to it myself. The list of stuff to get done doesn't seem to get any shorter this time of year!
Take care!
Cathy

middlesis1966
December 8th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hi gals. Im just now chilln after a long day. Atleast my finger isntthrobbing as bad. Im getting some of the yuck out it. Plus doc gave me med to take.
Lynn Im glad your safe n sound. I love storms! I know crazy huh. They scare the geebbies outa me but I still love em.
Laurie praying for you and your family.
Cathy thanks for the work you do. Its great to see people who care about the well being of nimls in that way. Keep it up!
Jan thanks for being there! It means alot for my spirits! Love ya!
Gin keep up your strength and continue to heal.
Blondie enjoy your semi busy day!
Patti enjoy your christmas prep. Sy hi to the family from us gals here on the forum.
Have a fab night all!

Love Paula

quiltingtrish
December 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone!

What a great lighting photo! I'd rather have the rain and lighting than the snow.

Not much going on here. Counting down the days until Christmas vacation from school. It seems so are the kiddos. They are just wild lately - don't want to listen, kick in their smart alecky attitudes - drives the teachers nuts.

Well, guess I better dig out some sewing tonight. Christmas is coming.

Hugs,