PDA

View Full Version : It's a brrrr-y cold Tuesday

Blondie
December 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/holidays/chr/cc.jpg

Good Morning!
Can you see my breath fogging up the monitor? Ye gadzooks, is it ever cold. I spent most of the day in the basement yesterday, feeding the woodstove. My back was aching so much last night, hubs had to rub some cream in, plus I took some ibuprofen. I dread the trip downstaiirs again as I know I will be feeding the beast again. Our snow is mostly melted but there is still plenty lying around, as the old folks say, it is lying around waiting for more. I hope not. Seems as if the whole eastern seaboard is captive in the cold - even down in Florida where my company went to escape the cold. Poor dears.
I managed to make a few more ornament gifts and a few cute teeny pincushions. I am going to try to get some good pics to post. I am officially the worst photographer. Wish I had JR's skills with the photo programs.

Lola, I am happy that you were able to retain the health insurance for now. And wow, you really were on a roll yesterday. All that activity kept you warm!

Shauna, glad you made it home safe and sound!

Trish, I would be just like you, let everyone pat Odie on the back and hope everyone thanks him for giving service to our country.

I've been looking through quilt patterns to try a few new blocks - some paper piecing, some just cut and pieced. Over at quilt blocks galore are so many patterns to drool over but one that I like the look of is: http://www.quilterscache.com/T/ThatThirtiesThingBlock.html I don't think I have enough 30's fabric but gosh do I have the scraps to make it look interesting. That may wind up being one of my projects for the next year.
While my cousin was here last week, she brought magazines with her and I am looking through one in particular for smaller projects. I am always on the look out for small useful items to mess around with.
Hubs is dropping big hints about what do I want for Christmas. Silly man. I told him to wrap himself up in a big bow and sit under the tree on Christmas morning. Other than that, gift certificates work really well, too. lol.
off to feed the beast. oh, my aching back. getting too old for this stuff!

middlesis1966
December 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Morning Blondie. Its gonna be a cold one here today also. Brrrrrr. Well today is going to be a lazy around one. Just a tip for you all. If you arent in the medical field to try and heal yourself. I pulled a good one. I got a splinter in my finger and went to dig it out. I know I done it before. Well Im a stubborn one and its been in there for awhile. I deceided enough was enough. I will just dig it out. Well I opened a can of worms and now its pretty infected. Grrrrrr, this has never happened. So now I have to go see the doctor, grrr. Im so sick of them already. So heres a non quilty tip for the day. Dont practice medicine without knowing what your doing, lol. So now the day only can get better. I hope you all stay warm and toasty today. If you live somwhere thats warm all I gotta say is you lucky duck!

toggpine
December 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Good morning ladies!

It is raining here. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

I am off on an adventure today for one of my volunteer groups. I can tell you more when I get back, as I don't know much about the plans for the day yet myself.

Take care of yourselves!
Cathy

newbiequilter
December 7th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Don't you just love the quilterscache site? I've been selecting some of the 12 inch patterns that seem relatively simple and are just piecing, and making one of each. So far I have 5 of them pinned to the wall with another one on the ironing board. Since I quilt in short bursts it has taken me weeks to get to this point but I enjoy seeing the blocks and will have the top for a lap robe once I have a dozen squares made.

Blondie
December 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Aw man, Gail - hope you got some help at the doctor's today. Last infection in my fingers was from a soup can of all things! The dr kept joiking with me about me cutting my fingers doing a hair cut. (I have done that plenty!) I am so sorry that splinter worked it's way in so deep. yuck.

Newbiequilter, I love that site. I have a habit of making blocks and never a full quilt from them, so I have lots of UFO's in various sizes. It does help me figure out if I really want to do the same type of block over and over again. I need to make a quilt wall - That would be ideal.

Cathy, perhaps our next weather will be a wee bit of rain instead of snow. The mountains here and where Laura are have been getting a lot of it this past week and calling for more.

Keepstitchin
December 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Boy, I feel for all of you east of me! For once, we are not the weather news here in the Northwest! Lots of rain this week, and I am not complaining!!

Been a tough couple of weeks. I am one of the millions who have lost their Emergency Unemployment Compensation. Great time of year for that! I hope Congress doesn't take to long to reinstate it.

More importantly, my wonderful father-in-law has been diagnosed with both lung cancer and pancreatic cancer. Neither has spread yet, so we are praying that he can be cured quickly. My sweet mother in law is beside herself, and had an acute attack of vertigo and landed on my kitchen floor. Thank the Lord she was not hurt!

I hate to post such negative things, but you all are so very nice, and it helps me to write it out!

Hoping for a better day tomorrow!!

middlesis1966
December 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Boy, I feel for all of you east of me! For once, we are not the weather news here in the Northwest! Lots of rain this week, and I am not complaining!!

Been a tough couple of weeks. I am one of the millions who have lost their Emergency Unemployment Compensation. Great time of year for that! I hope Congress doesn't take to long to reinstate it.

More importantly, my wonderful father-in-law has been diagnosed with both lung cancer and pancreatic cancer. Neither has spread yet, so we are praying that he can be cured quickly. My sweet mother in law is beside herself, and had an acute attack of vertigo and landed on my kitchen floor. Thank the Lord she was not hurt!

I hate to post such negative things, but you all are so very nice, and it helps me to write it out!

Hoping for a better day tomorrow!!

Laurie I will add you family to my prayers.

toggpine
December 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I work with an animal group that focuses on rapid response to animal emergencies. We have become fairly well known to the law officials in the county that we originated in. Our primary mission is to handle emergencies and disasters. We don't do long term sheltering, fostering or adoptions. In todays mission we were called upon by a local county to assist in transporting large livestock that may be impounded during the execution of a warrant for animal neglect/abuse. All of our details were very vague about the situation so there would not be any leaks to the media or the persons involved. We were asked to remove all of our logos and any identifying material from our persons and vehicles to prevent retaliation or negative press on our organization. Kind of scary actually.
We arrived at the site and were then made to wait about 4 hours before the majority of us were released to return home. Sadly the owner was allowed to keep the large number of the animals in their possession. In a way that is some good news. While their penning arrangements and housing were less than desirable, they were at least in good enough condition that the vets on site felt they could be left there for the time being. The legalese in the warrant gave the Sheriff & Animal Control officers specific parameters to function in. From the comments from the neighbors, we will probably be asked out again to actually remove the animals at a later date, since the hoarding only gets worse in the spring with the new babies. At least the site is on the official radar. Several of the neighbors were very upset that the animals were not leaving to better homes. All I could tell them was that if it continues, to continue to document & report the incidents to the authorities. The only way Animal Control will know is if somebody speaks up. Sadly the animals can't write or dial the phone, so people have to. I think they were at least encouraged that there was a major response to the situation. It sounds like the case has been building for a few years. This is a serious first step to getting the problem solved. Each animal has been photo documented and examined by a vet, so if the condition worsens there is documented legal proof and not just the word of the neighbors.
It was a long day, and I am wiped out.
No sewing for me tonight. Just a hot shower and bed.

janluna
December 8th, 2010, 01:00 AM
That's a tough job and heart rendering. However some one has to do it. My brother-in-law has the same type of job. He's in charge of a county to the south of me. He's also an EMT and has said he feels sorry for the animals cause no one can speak for them but the people who call in. Some people treat their animals horribly while others sort of slide into neglect because they are losing their job or money's tight. That's when they should pick up the phone and ask for help. He has seen some awful haunting stuff. Thank you for your work you do. It takes a special person to do that job. Hugs, Jan

janluna
December 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Laurie I will pray for your family too. I hope your dad does well and your family has a happy ending. Jan

patticakes
December 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Thinking of you Laurie. It is so tough on the whole family.

Cathy - so sad about the animals. I think the hoarding shows on tv have brought the animal hoarding issue into more light. Hopefully more animals can be saved. Thank you for all you do in that regard.

Colder than ever here in the midwest!

Keepstitchin
December 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Laurie I will add you family to my prayers.

Thank you Paula!