PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Number Quilt?

Angie from Indiana
December 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
While dicussing my next quilt with my husband, I decided it was time to make one for us! We talked about colors, patterns, size, and thickness of batting. I am always cold and my husband is always hot at night so naturally I want the warmest batting and he wants the lightest. He asked me if I could put the thick batting on my side and the light batting on his side like a sleep number quilt! :) I cracked up laughing and then after I stopped laughing I thought why couldn't I? I know it won't look traditional laying on the bed, but does anyone know of another reason why I couldn't make a "sleep number quilt"?

sunshine080763
December 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Not sure how it will look, but I am the kinda person I would try it too. Sleep number quilt, I THINK IT SOUNDS GREAT. ANd you will be the first maybe. Just to be a little different. I am actually working on a quilt that I have never seen another one quite like it, but I am gonna do it. Actually I can say more than that, I am on the third row. Please post a pic when you are done.

toggpine
December 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
We have two thermal dynamics in our house too! Last night I crawled in with thick fuzzy socks, t-shirt, and sweat pants & shirt. I think he had on a pair of light weight cotton PJ bottoms.

I have decided that we will have two quilts. They will match up when laid out on the bed, but be able to be removed or stacked as the need sees fit. Sadly that is a bit farther down the project schedule than I would like, but we have something similar now with two sherpa-lined tartain blankets on the bed. These are more of topper quilts that I am trying to design.

I can't see why you couldn't use two different battings though if you only wanted one quilt. You will want to try to get them as close to the same height as possible. You may also try to line your side with a layer of flannel between the batting & the top. (Prewash & dry the flannel to keep it from shrinking!) It is amazing what that simple layer can do. You might also try using polar fleece as batting on your side and the cotton on his. They would be about the same thickness. You could butt seam the two pieces together by hand or find some lightweight fusible interfacing and run a strip down the joint to keep them from separating while you are quilting. I have used the last method with great success when needing to add a strip to a slightly undersized piece of batting. The lightweight or featherweight interfacing doesn't add bulk. My iron gets warm a lot more quickly than I can thread a needle and stitch them together!

Good luck! There really aren't any quilt police, or at least they haven't found me yet! Do what works out best for you!

sewsoft
December 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I have a sleep number bed and a sleep number quilt does sound awesome although knowing me I'd still freeze no matter what. I'm a FREEZE baby :0