PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Crock pot recipes (from scratch)

Wwena
February 2nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
I have a very uncommon thing here in Sweden: A crock pot! And how I love it. :) I've had it for a couple of years now and I've pretty much "snowed in" on a few favourite recipes and would love some inspiration and where better to ask? With all the helpful people in here and so many from the slow cooker home of U.S. I'm sure I will get some nice new treats, tried and tested!

So - do you have any good crock pot recipes? :) I would very much love for them to be made from scratch, ie not using any sauces etc that are store bought (boulliouns/stocks are perfectly ok!). Partly because I most likely won't have access to the same sauces here (we most likely have similar stuff but who knows) and partly because I like to know what I put in the dishes. ;)

Thank you in advance!!

shannonsaulter
February 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Corned beef brisket, 4 potatoes peeled andcubed, cabbage chopped fill pot with water

and a pint of Guinness cook on high 4-6 hours..yummy

bakermom
February 2nd, 2013, 07:56 PM
One I make is salsa chicken. layer boneless chicken breasts with a jar of salsa, a can of corn and a can of drained black beans.let it cook until the chicken is done. Now you can either serve the whole breast with the veggies or shred the chicken and fill soft tortillas with it. Also great served over rice.
I also cut up a lot of onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and cover boneless chicken with them. add some chicken stock and let it cook. Before serving i stir flour into some cream and add it to the broth to thicken. serve over rice. No, I don't have actual amounts for this, i usually "wing it" with whatever I have on hand. the last time I made this I threw in some white wine I had sitting around. quite tasty!

janluna
February 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I put slices of potato and slices of carrots in the bottom of the Crock Pot, and then add a chuck roast on top. Add some beef broth, cook for about 8 hours. Take the roast and potatoes, and carrots out, thicken the broth into a gravy and serve. I do use some garlic, and onion powder and some cilantro for seasoning. My DH and my kids always liked this. I have also made stew, all kinds of soups and even a dessert. Bread pudding is wonderful in the crock pot.
Go to www.mrfood.com They have some great recipes that are basic. From there you can get an idea of how long to cook things, and what seasonings work. Then before you know it, you'll be making up your own recipes. On mrfood.com look for the slow cooker recipes. That's what they call the crock pot. Have fun and enjoy! I'll go through some of the recipes I've made up or copied and send them too you. Hugs, Jan L.

Wwena
February 3rd, 2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks guys!! :) Definatly doing some of these the next weeks here.

"Until the chicken is done" I've made the mistake of cooking chicken for too long and while the flavour was WONDERFUL (white wine, mushrooms, shallots in that one) the chicken was so soft it fell apart and the texture got a bit strange lol.

MayinJerset
February 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Corned beef brisket, 4 potatoes peeled andcubed, cabbage chopped fill pot with water

and a pint of Guinness cook on high 4-6 hours..yummy

Ohh, sounds delicious and St. Patrick's day is coming soon.

asta
February 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Father-in laws favorite, potato soup, couple cans chicken or vegetable broth, slice 2 large potatoes, celery & onion chopped a little salt and pepper let cook 7 hrs, mix about a cup of whole milk or cream with about 1/4 cup flour add to pot stir well let cook another hour. If desired make it loaded baked potato soup by garnishing with crumbled cooked bacon and shredded cheese.

Wwena
February 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
That sounds delish! I have a potato soup recipe I haven't thought to try to slow cook but now I'm gonna. :)

HandsOffItsMine
February 3rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Food.com is a great online cookbook - put crockpot in the search and you'll find a bunch of recipes, plus it has metric measurements for you! I turned Klasien on to it as my DD Kat had a pot roast recipe from there that we really like.

:) Ruby

dizzyLiz
February 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I just put this is my crock pot this morning:

Peeled slice potatoes
diced ham
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 tea thyme
2/3 cup of milk
salt and pepper
1 diced onion

Layer 1/2 sliced potatoes,ham cheddar cheese, onion; repeat

In a bowl mix cream of mushroom soup, milk, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over mixture.

Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low.......cook until potatoes are tender

Enjoy

auntiemern
February 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Check out allrecipes.com. They have some great recipes there.

SandyWhite
February 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Try www.allrecipes.com. Then focus on slow cooker recipes. Lots of recipes with canned something or other added but also some from scratch. Happy cooking.

mamapajama
February 6th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Try www.crockingirls.com, tons of recipes there. My favorite crock recipe is Brunswick Stew. Not the true version of what Brunswick stew is supposed to be, but very close and very yummy.

5 cups chopped onion
6 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans corn
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
1 jar chili sauce (this is not hot, kind of sweet, found by the ketchup)
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
**1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (several dashes of Tabasco)
Freshly ground pepper (optional)

1. Place onion in a 4 to 6 quart electric slow cooker; top with chicken. Add corn, tomatoes, broth, chili sauce, butter, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce; stir well. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour. ( I cook on low for 6-8 hours) Reduce to low-heat setting and cook 6 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; shred and return to stew. Ladle stew into bowls; sprinkle with additional pepper if desired. Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups).

Wwena
February 7th, 2013, 05:00 AM
That sounds delicisious! So many new ideas to try now. :D

snippet
February 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM

and a pint of Guinness cook on high 4-6 hours..yummythis is my favorite crockpot recipe! We eat it year round, and twice on St Patricks Day!

Cathy F
February 7th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Pork recipe-

Although the ingredients sound weird together it is absolutly delicious.

1 boneless pork roast
1 large package sauerkraut (drained)
1 cup apple juice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Place the sauerkraut in the bottom of the crock pot, place the pork roast on top, then pour the remaining ingredients in and cook on high for about 6 hours or until tender. You can thicken up the juices a little and serve with mashed potatoes.

twnkeyes
February 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I get a lot of my crock pot recipes from the internet. I just google crock pot recipes and always go with the one's with the highest ratings. Allrecipes.com and Bettycrocker.com have some great ones!

Divine Daisy
February 7th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I make a traditional Lacashire Hot Pot in my crock. Is very simple

You need lamb............it is customary to use neck of lamb which is very cheap and tastey but if you can't get that then diced lamb will do.

in your crock put sliced onion, sliced carrot, diced swede is good too. Whatever root veg come to hand but use fresh not frozen. Put in your lamb (if you can be bothered to sear the lamb and veg first the flavour is great). Season well. Peel and slice potato and lay the slices on top in a thick layer so its like a pie top. Pour good stock on top and cook all day.

Traditional and yummy

GuitarGramma
February 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I make a traditional Lacashire Hot Pot in my crock. Is very simple

You need lamb............it is customary to use neck of lamb which is very cheap and tastey but if you can't get that then diced lamb will do.

in your crock put sliced onion, sliced carrot, diced swede is good too. Whatever root veg come to hand but use fresh not frozen. Put in your lamb (if you can be bothered to sear the lamb and veg first the flavour is great). Season well. Peel and slice potato and lay the slices on top in a thick layer so its like a pie top. Pour good stock on top and cook all day.

Traditional and yummy

When I lived in Australia, I used to buy a wonderful package of frozen vegetables to put in my beef stew. One of the ingredients was "swede" which you reference in your recipe. Now, to me -- an American, "swede" is a person born in Sweden -- like Wwena herself! It was definitely not something to eat, but this veggie was certainly not of human origin and was decidedly delicious. It was years and years before I found out that what Aussies call "swede" is what Americans call "rutabega." Mystery solved!

mamapajama
February 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
When I lived in Australia, I used to buy a wonderful package of frozen vegetables to put in my beef stew. One of the ingredients was "swede" which you reference in your recipe. Now, to me -- an American, "swede" is a person born in Sweden -- like Wwena herself! It was definitely not something to eat, but this veggie was certainly not of human origin and was decidedly delicious. It was years and years before I found out that what Aussies call "swede" is what Americans call "rutabega." Mystery solved!

Oh, I was thinking the same thing. Thought maybe she was trying to be funny. I'm so glad you cleared that up. Whew!

Sounds like a great recipe though.

Janice

Wwena
February 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hehe yeah we learned all about how we were "swedes" when I first learnt English, when I was ten! :D It was a really important vegetable here back in the olden days (called betor in Swedish), maybe we took it to England or something and they named it after us! ;)

Wwena
February 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Ok it was a huge mistake to start looking at recipes right before bed, now I'm hungry!!!

I settled on doing a chicken one for tomorrow night, with mushrooms, white wine and thyme. Nom nom nom.

bakermom
February 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation of "swede"!
My folks always grew rutabaga and kohlrabi in our garden.
Not a fan of rutabaga myself, though i will put kohlrabi in with a roast.

Sharyn J
February 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I love to make pulled pork in the crock pot. Use a 4-5 lb. pork butt, add seasonings and cook for 6-8 hours or until soft. Pull (shred) the cooked pork with 2 forks. I remove some of the shredded pork to make tacos and add BBQ sauce to the remainder for pulled pork sandwiches. Two meals out of the same pot! :icon_razz:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Perfect-Pulled-Pork/Detail.aspx
has lots of pulled pork recipes.

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2013, 07:04 PM
That was funny!

I'm looing for some vegatarian one's if you have them :)

teejay2
March 13th, 2013, 03:02 AM
my two favourites, 1 piece of corned beef (I guess the americans call it brisket, we call it silverside) 1 600ml bottle of gingerale and a sliced orange....put all in pot and cook on low all day, turn meat once....

2) stewing beef, can of condensed tomato soup, can of crushed pineapple....add all to crock pot, add chopped carrots and any other root vegetables you like...I use swede and parsnip as well...cook on low all day....stir once or twice....

Momofmonsters5
March 13th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I make chili in mine well along with soups but heres our chili:
I pound ground beef cooked
Season packet of chili seasoning or chili powder to taste, salt, pepper
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 can of diced tomatoes or 1 package fresh cherry tomatoes
1 pkg pepperoni slices
1 large can of tomato juice
3 cans of beans (chili beans, I use a sweet mesquite)
Simmer all day on medium (Low if your 220, I noticed my 220 volt one here in Germany cooks hotter then the ones in the states).

Left over chili gets used for Enchiladas. Roll cheese in tortillas (you can fry the tortillas, they are less soggy that way) put them side by side in a baking dish and pour chili over the top. Top with cheese and bake till the cheese melts.

rebeccas-sewing
March 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks, Guitar Gramma for the enlightenment!!! I was looking for turnips a couple of weeks ago. I saw those big purple things and thought they looked familiar until I read "Swede" on the label! I thought it was some sort of super large turnip! Haha! So that's a Rutabega!

Also, I did find the turnips which I don't normally cook. I really liked the texture they added to my potato leek soup. I've got a great potato leek soup that I don't puree. I just recently upped the number of potatoes, added carrots and threw in chunks of turnip that I had left over. It really improved my soup!!! I'll be making this soup for many years to come.

inspired
March 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I love ribs in the crockpot. I rub them all over with bbq sauce add 1/4 cup of water to bottom of pot then layer in the ribs and let it go for 8 hours on low. Then remove and baste with bbq sauce and brown in oven. So Good ! Mmm thats what we will have tomorrow!

SisterDi
April 24th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I make lentil stew/soup in mine often.

Carrots, onions, celery, diced tomato, garlic, broth/water, lentils, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a little bacon or ham, mostly I don't. I always add fresh chopped parsley at the end, though. Very frugal, very filling.

Iris Girl
April 24th, 2013, 06:17 AM
here is my recipe for crock pot beef stew. My family loves it
2 pounds beef stew meat cut in 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 potatoes diced
4 carrots sliced
1 stalk of celery chopped

1. place meat in slow cooker. In a bowl mix together flour, salt and pepper. Pour over meat and stir to coat with flour mixture. stir in the remaining ingredients.
2. cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or high 4 to 6 hours enjoy!

kensington
April 24th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I love ribs in the crockpot. I rub them all over with bbq sauce add 1/4 cup of water to bottom of pot then layer in the ribs and let it go for 8 hours on low. Then remove and baste with bbq sauce and brown in oven. So Good ! Mmm thats what we will have tomorrow!

Would this work with the grill? Rather than the oven? Pork or Beef ribs? TIA!

inspired
April 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Kensington; I have browned them on the grill also but be warned , the meat is so tender when they come out of the crockpot that it just falls off the bone. I use pork ribs and like a hickory bbq sauce.

bubba
April 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
One I make is salsa chicken. layer boneless chicken breasts with a jar of salsa, a can of corn and a can of drained black beans.let it cook until the chicken is done. Now you can either serve the whole breast with the veggies or shred the chicken and fill soft tortillas with it. Also great served over rice.
I also cut up a lot of onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and cover boneless chicken with them. add some chicken stock and let it cook. Before serving i stir flour into some cream and add it to the broth to thicken. serve over rice. No, I don't have actual amounts for this, i usually "wing it" with whatever I have on hand. the last time I made this I threw in some white wine I had sitting around. quite tasty!

This is the recipe I was going to give!!! I also like olives added in, along with green onions. We serve it over quinoa and love it!!

ncgrammie
April 24th, 2013, 08:33 PM

I used to make skillet chicken I watched on a commercial. You brown boneless chicken breasts and pour picante sauce over and let it finish cooking. No more. I love putting the chicken in the crock pot and the addition of corn and beans really kick it up. We add shredded cheese, black olives and sour cream to each individual tastes. Oh my goodness good. I've made it twice because I couldn't wait to have it again! Thank you so much for posting this. If you haven’t tried this, you have to give it a shot. All of these recipes look so good. This is the only one I’ve tried so far, but I appreciate the variety and yumminess of everything. There is nothing like coming home from work and having such a great meal ready and NOT having to cook!!!

dwil23
April 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
This is one of our favorites - I just put it on for dinner tonight. I think you should be able to get all the ingredients.

Crockpot Mediterranean Turkey Loaf

the recipe is from this website:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=377790

Crockpot Mediterranean Turkey Loaf
Submitted by: KYLIEMC8

Minutes to Prepare: 20

Minutes to Cook: 180

Number of Servings: 5

Ingredients

1 slightly beaten egg
2 T milk
1/2 c fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dried oregano, crushed
1/4 t black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (2 oz)
1/4 c oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and snipped
3 T bottled pizza or pasta sauce

Directions

cooking time 7-8 hours on low
or 3 1/2 to 4 on high

4-6 servings

1. In a medium bowl combine egg and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, salt, oregano, pepper and garlic. Add ground turkey, feta cheese and dried tomatoes, mix well. Shape mixture into a 5 inch round loaf.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 - 8 hours or high heat setting for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Number of Servings: 5

You can use any tomato sauce to top it with. Also, be sure to use the oil packed tomatoes - the dried ones make it too dry.

Wwena
April 26th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys! I'm getting hungry just thinking about all these lovely recipes. :)

Kelly F
October 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Father-in laws favorite, potato soup, couple cans chicken or vegetable broth, slice 2 large potatoes, celery & onion chopped a little salt and pepper let cook 7 hrs, mix about a cup of whole milk or cream with about 1/4 cup flour add to pot stir well let cook another hour. If desired make it loaded baked potato soup by garnishing with crumbled cooked bacon and shredded cheese.

This sounds good!!!! I will try it this weekend!

bdmsmith
October 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Here is a crock pot recipe for Bourbon Banana bread that one me grand champion and best of show at the county fair this year:
**A great way to cook bread in the summer without heating up the whole house.

Bourbon Banana Bread
2 2/3 cups cake flour
1 ½ cups mashed very ripe bananas
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup chopped pecans
Glaze
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 teaspoon hot water

Grease bottom only of 3 ½ to 4 quart round slow cooker with cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with 2 teaspoons of flour.
In large bowl, stir bananas, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons bourbon, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Stir in remaining flour, baking powder cinnamon, salt, chocolate chips, and ½ cup of pecans until well blended. Pour into slow cooker.

Cook on high heat setting 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Turn off slow cooker; uncover, and remove ceramic base from cooker to cooling rack. Let cool 15 minutes.
Loosen edge of bread with thin metal spatula. Remove bread from slow cooker to cooling rack. Cool 1 hour.

In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth and consistency of thick syrup. Drizzle over top of bread. Sprinkle evenly with remaining ¼ cup pecans.

Patrice
October 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM
oh goodness. If you PM me your email address I have a ton of them that will last you a life time..lol

MayinJerset
October 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Love all the new crock pot recipes, definity will do the potato soup next week. On second thought I'll make it tomorrow as we will be home all day.

Only problem I have with crock pots is that while a beef pot roast or stew will have lots of juices and the veggies are tender and tasty the meat is hard and stringy. It never gets fork tender like it used to when I cooked these dishes on the stove top. Anyone have hints how to make the meat more tender?

goofyizzy
October 13th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I settled on doing a chicken one for tomorrow night, with mushrooms, white wine and thyme. Nom nom nom.

That sounds delicious! I need to use my crock pot more often. It's makes it so easy for a working girl to get dinner on the table.

Kelly F
October 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
here is mine for crockpot lasagna:

Ingredients:
1 cup water
2 jars of your favorite ssauce
your fave seasonings
1 pckg (8 ounces) no cook lasagna noodles
2 bags of 16 ounces mozzarella cheese ( if you want it to be even cheesier then buy more)
1 12ounce ricotta cheese
1 small bag of Parmesan shredded
1 lb ground beef (optional)

cook the ground beef if you want it. Drain and set aside.
combine all of the cheese together in one

Spread 4th of the sauce in the bottom of the crockpot. (This is where you add the beef),
Arrange 1 layer of noodles over sauce. (I like to lay down a few solid pieces side by side and put broken pieces in the gaps)
Spread 3rd of the cheese on the noodles.

repeat the sauce (optional beef), then noodles and then cheese.

repeat 1 more time and then top with any remaining sauce. I pour 1 cup of water down one side. If not it dries up too much. If while cooking you think you need more then pour a half cup more down one side.

Cover and cook .... Only 4 hours!!! If you cook too long you will see if dry up! I have done that before!

This scoops out easily and solidly like a pan lasagna. A great dish to start after lunch and have it ready for dinner.

Grammanan
October 15th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I use this website, I hope it is available to you AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com - 1000's of Free Slow Cooker Recipes, Videos, How-To Slow Cook Guides and More! (http://www.allfreeslowcookerrecipes.com/) I am sorry, I don't know how to make a hyper-link. Hope this helps you.

bdmsmith
October 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
here is mine for crockpot lasagna:

Ingredients:
1 cup water
2 jars of your favorite ssauce
your fave seasonings
1 pckg (8 ounces) no cook lasagna noodles
2 bags of 16 ounces mozzarella cheese ( if you want it to be even cheesier then buy more)
1 12ounce ricotta cheese
1 small bag of Parmesan shredded
1 lb ground beef (optional)

cook the ground beef if you want it. Drain and set aside.
combine all of the cheese together in one

Spread 4th of the sauce in the bottom of the crockpot. (This is where you add the beef),
Arrange 1 layer of noodles over sauce. (I like to lay down a few solid pieces side by side and put broken pieces in the gaps)
Spread 3rd of the cheese on the noodles.

repeat the sauce (optional beef), then noodles and then cheese.

repeat 1 more time and then top with any remaining sauce. I pour 1 cup of water down one side. If not it dries up too much. If while cooking you think you need more then pour a half cup more down one side.

Cover and cook .... Only 4 hours!!! If you cook too long you will see if dry up! I have done that before!

This scoops out easily and solidly like a pan lasagna. A great dish to start after lunch and have it ready for dinner.

I had bought the ingredients to do lasagna one day this week but instead I'm going to try your recipe---looks super easy! Thanks.