• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamaquilt
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

not quilting, but brewing

Here are a few pictures from what we did in the beginning of December and finished last Wednesday.
    Not being a beerfan myself, my DH convinced me in taking a one day course in brewing beer in a beer museum up North. With a couple of friends we had a wonderful day and lots of fun.
    Béierbrauen Woltz 20121208 (019) copie.jpg
    Adding malt and cinnamon.
    Béierbrauen Woltz 20121208 (034) copie.jpg
    testing whatever, I already forgot
    Béierbrauen Woltz 20121208 (108) copie.jpg
    that's what our beer should look like in the end
    Béier Afëllen Woltz 20130116 (021) copie.jpgBéier Afëllen Woltz 20130116 (043) copie.jpg
    filling our bottles and tasting our beer (DH and one of my brothers).
    It really does taste very good, not too bitter, not sweet just the way I like it. DH tells me its more an aperitif beer than a real beer.
    So from now on we're beer brewers hahahaha. Still don't like it.
    But we had lots of fun.

greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle
    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle
  • HandsomeRyan
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2013

Re: not quilting, but brewing

Looks great! I've been brewing and wine making for a couple years now. Just looking at your pictures makes me want a beer and it is not even 8AM here.

If you like beer that isn't too bitter or hoppy I highly recommend Graff. It is sort of an apple beer/hard cider and goes down very easy. I've made about 40 gallons of the stuff over the last couple years for personal consumption and office parties. Always a crowd pleaser.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

Never made beer - lots and lots of wine and other fermented/de-stilled brews - but never beer. Just can't imagine why you added cinnamon though????

Thanks for sharing. I do believe that was a wonderful experience - even if you don't enjoy the results of your brewing education.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• MRoy
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2011

Looks interesting! My neighbor started making wine a couple of years ago. He's given us a few bottles...it's good!
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Monique
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2011

Sounds like you had a good time just the same.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

You've got quite a fancy set up there! We call it home brew here, because there was a time when all alcohol was banned and people made it in their homes (illegally of course)! I lived in Oklahoma in the 60's when they had just lifted the ban on alcohol there (40 years after all the rest of the country), and we had friends who still knew how to do the home brew! One time we had their bottled stuff stored in the garage, and it was very hot out there, all of a sudden the bottles started to pop their lids one at a time! Sounded like a war out there!

Glad your brew turned out well, it sounds like the kind I would like, not too "hoppy", which makes it bitter. My brother in law makes his own brews, but they don't have a fancy set up like you do.

We are living in the home of Anheuser-Busch--now In Bev. Busch ruled here for over 100 years, but since they are not longer headquartered here, the microbreweries have sprung up, and widened our pallettes to what is possible in the world of beer! I still like Bud Lite, though!

Comment

• lilmouse
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2011

I am allergic to beer but am glad you had an enjoyable day and I enjoyed the pictures!

Comment

• shannonsaulter
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

That looks so fun! I went to a beer fest one time here in So. Cal for work and it was all home brew! good crowd great people..cant wait to be at the Guinness Place in July..
                These things, I warmly wish for you-
                Someone to love, some work to do,
                A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
                And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
                `*.¸.*´
                ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
                (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
                http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Comment

• Musical_Starling
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2012

My Dad used to brew beer years ago (we call it homebrew too Jean) and it always smelled SO nasty to me lol Never turned out that dark though, so obviously a different recipe. Maybe I should have convinced him to use some cinnamon, may have made the smell a little more tolerable

Enjoy the fruits of your labour!! Just, you know, in moderation
                  *Dee*
                  Believe
                  There Is
                  Good In The World

Comment

• auntiemern
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

Don't drink beer but all DH drinks is Bud Light. I knew that is what you drank tho from some pic somewhere.
                    Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                    You've got quite a fancy set up there! We call it home brew here, because there was a time when all alcohol was banned and people made it in their homes (illegally of course)! I lived in Oklahoma in the 60's when they had just lifted the ban on alcohol there (40 years after all the rest of the country), and we had friends who still knew how to do the home brew! One time we had their bottled stuff stored in the garage, and it was very hot out there, all of a sudden the bottles started to pop their lids one at a time! Sounded like a war out there!

Glad your brew turned out well, it sounds like the kind I would like, not too "hoppy", which makes it bitter. My brother in law makes his own brews, but they don't have a fancy set up like you do.

We are living in the home of Anheuser-Busch--now In Bev. Busch ruled here for over 100 years, but since they are not longer headquartered here, the microbreweries have sprung up, and widened our pallettes to what is possible in the world of beer! I still like Bud Lite, though!
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X