PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday

Blondie
January 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies
Almost awake here thanks to the Big Man and his coffee making abilities. Actually, I pre make the coffee before bed time so we can both wake up to the wonderful fragrance of brewing coffee. Luscious Larry is the quintessential Southern Gentleman.;why he still stands when a lady enters the room. So of course, he would be kind enough to carry me a cup of coffee early in the a.m. Yes, I am so spoiled I am rotten. Loving every minute of it. Sometimes I pinch myself or think how in the world did I get so lucky? Of course, he has his moments but for the life of me I can't think of any. Of course, if I were to be coffee deprived I could probably write out a full score. It wouldn't be pretty.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day tackling the basement. Not my usual moving the mess from one area to another. I mean a ruthless scrap trashing kind of day. As you know scrappy style is my favorite way to create a quilt. I marvel at folks who have the ability to make gorgeous out of delicious fabrics. I never seem to be able to decide which fabrics I like whenever I go into a fabric store and very rarely do I have a pattern in my head to work with. Subsequently, I wind up with bits of this or that. Plus, since I was taught by my granny and she used old clothes to cut up, I use a lot of old clothes from thrifts or family members. We all used to laugh about her when we were growing up when she would eye a newly made dress, asking after the scraps. Now I understand. So for ME to actually get rid of scraps is a difficult thing to do. However there are some that are just too small of a bit or piece for even me to utilize. You have no idea how difficult that is. I reckon I am a scrap hoarder. I delighted when I saw others with my affliction actually made crumb quilts. Anyway back to yesterday. I have a nice pile of bags for the trash and while doing the purge, decided to go through each and every nook and cranny. Yeah, it will take a while. I am not even halfway through the cleaning process. But I feel so much better already. And I am hoping that once it is really rights, I will start on the next area. I have determined to get rid of stuff that I no longer need, care about, etc. I always feel this way after a visit to my brother's house. That is always a very scarey journey, although it is just next door. Since my Momma always told me to talk nicely, I will stop here. Let's just say I hope he doesn't have to make a quick exit anytime soon.

So today I have to go to the salon. Last week, I cleaned the Christmas away; today I will bring in a lap quilt to work on in between clients. I had thought to make some chocolate chips for Russell, but, after reading the above you can understand why that was simply that. A thought.

Have a good day, folksies. Look all around you, go from room to room with a thankful heart and count your many blessings.

Smile

Bubby
January 10th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Good Morning,

We had a long day of doctors yesterday. The doctor ordered a MRI of DH's head and we will go from there. More doctors and tests in the very near future. Please pray! My prayers are going out to everyone in Australia. Hugs, Barb

Madeforyouinma11
January 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning Blondie!
Well, I went to bed at 3am after a little excitement across the street. There was an accident, and all the commotion kept us up for awhile. Now, here I am, wide awake at 6am and I have already put some corn muffins in the oven and half way through my first cup.
I have been doing the same thing....going through everything and de stashing. I know there are a few others here doing the same thing. I did see somewhere that this is National Organization month so maybe that has something to do with our "need to clean".
Well, yesterday I did 5 loads of laundry, did some more deep cleaning in my bedroom and gathered all of the Christmas decorations to the dining room where I sorted and organized and have ready to put in the attic. That will be done today along with about 3 more loads of laundry and more deep cleaning in the bedroom. I have been washing everything I put my hands on! Crazy, I know!
I'm itching to get into the sewing room. I said I wasn't going in there until I was finished cleaning but I may need to break that rule. I can't quit smoking and sewing, that is just out of the question!
Well I'm off to see what's been going on since I went to bed.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Prayers to everyone!
Bring on day 4!

Monique
January 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Good morning friends. I was alone for most of the morning yesterday. Hubby has been suffering from a sore shoulder for months. So yesterday (our doctor does day medicine at the hospital on Wed) hubby decided to try and see if he could sneak in to see him. NOPE!! Although I could have told him that. He said there was not a chair available between the emerg and the people waiting for blood work, and those waiting for day medicine docs. So he never did see anyone. So he will keep complaining and I will keep listening to him and not offer any more advice. MEN!!!!!!

I did do another tablet case for Sadie yesterday. Turned out good. I posted pics. Then the rest of day was bust. I had a long nap in the afternoon. Today I work an hour this morning and then another hour at the end of the day at another post office. Freezing rain called for, for tomorrow. Glad I am not working tomorrow. I have no clue what I will do today other than work.

Glad Ruby got to Atlanta. And thinking of our Aussie sisters as they battle the weather there. Prayers going out to those who need them.

Have a great day everyone.

MRoy
January 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Good morning...I need a caffeine IV this morning. I drank a diet Mt Dew at lunch then a cup of coffee around 2pm yesterday and I paid for it last night and this morning. Blondie and Cil are both doing what I need to do...clean out the basement and closets. I've got to get rid of clothes that I don't wear anymore and give them to Goodwill. I have a winter closet and a summer closet and the clothes I wear most are in the middle of each closet, I need to clear out both sides!

I hope everyone has a terrific Thursday!

nurrsey
January 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Good morning ladies...I too am praying for those in Australia...so devastating. Barb...prayers to your husband. Blondie and Cil, I organize one weekend and the next weekend I need to do again. My daughters have their machines down there with me and their neatness leaves a lot to be desired. Work should be easier today, no clinic, this is our catch day and I am 38 progress notes behind.
Happy Thursday :icon_happy:

HdWench
January 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Morning Morning! On the end of my pots of coffee lol and loving it!

All my thoughts and prayers to Australia for some very needed rain! Stay safe you all.

Odd we are all thinking or doing cleaning hmm Well for me I have no more room to add fabric!! But I bought more, so into the master bedroom closet that went. MUST clear out sewing room so I can see and feel it :-) oh heck you all know what I mean when it arrives!

Got my new to me sewing machine threaded, bobbin in and began sashing a quilt pushed to the side. What a leap from mechanical machines to a computerized one WOW !

Blondie?? Can stress cause a woman to go grey (gray?) in just a few weeks??? I would surly come see you if I lived closer!! omg I need a new do.

So sad to see only Silver blonde -- I am O. L. D. who knew???

Ok in my sewing room I'm going, cuz then I'm only 20 something and having a blast

enjoy your day ladies :-)

Jean Sewing Machine
January 10th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Good Morning,

We had a long day of doctors yesterday. The doctor ordered a MRI of DH's head and we will go from there. More doctors and tests in the very near future. Please pray! My prayers are going out to everyone in Australia. Hugs, Barb
I'm saying prayers for you and DH!

MayinJerset
January 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM
There's something about the beginning of a new year that gives many of us the cleaning, organizing and decarding bug. It's needed here too as I've been doing tons of laundry and can't get it back into closets and drawers. I did a little destashing recently when I participated in a Purple quilt challenge. Went through all my purples, used up a lot of small pieces in the blocks and bigger ones for borders and binding and now my purples are weeded out, refolded and sitting nice and neat on the shelf. Had a purple FQ of a really bright but kind of ugly fabric that i hated to throw out so I covered 2 old potholders with it. Adds a bright note to the kitchen when I use them.

Furance maintenance guy comes this morning so since I have to stay in I'll finish off last of laundry and keep reorganizing. Think I'll work on our Project Pillowcase album for 2012 so make sure budget, expenses, photos and my newsletter articles are inserted.

Speaking of the Pillowcase Project, we're having our first 2013 Sew In on Saturday so I better get my traveling machine and supplies in my car. My co-chair might not be able to make it so I'll need to get to meeting place early to open up and set up tables, pillowcase sets, irons, etc. We distributed over 1,000 pillowcases last year to kids in local and NYC hospitals and need to rebuild our stash. Not too many guild members can make the Saturday Sew Ins so many sew a few cases at home and bring them to our monthly meetings.

DeeCee mentioned seeing too much silver in her hair, me too so I better get a perm and touch up ASAP. Going to check postings to see latest from Ruby and the rest of our forum members. May

Lisapc
January 10th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Good morning to all!

Bubby, I hop all turns out well for you and all who need it prayers are being said. What is happening in Australia is horrible and I am praying for rain as well.

I stayed awake the whole day yesterday. I didn't sit down until dinner and then when I sat down to eat dessert with my Peter's I barely finished it and woke up at 5am. I fell asleep on the couch at 7pm. I was full of energy until about 10 minutes ago. I don't know what is wrong with me. I eat right, exercise and am happy so what the heck is my problem? I have to figure out something.

I made a few of those fancy pin cushions yesterday. I spent time looking for a link to the pattern on the forum and couldn't. So I went to the singer site to see if they had something similar and there it was. The exact pattern that I was looking for.

I have a meeting with my son's teachers at 1pm. So I will color my hair, have a facial, take some time for me to spoil me without sitting on the couch and head out around 12:30pm. I am dismissing my son after the meeting and taking him to the toy store to spend some of his Christmas money. He hasn't asked but I know he wanted Domino Rally for Christmas and we couldn't find it anywhere so if they have it back in stock he can get it. That is what Christmas money is for isn't it?

I am going to try to get some blocks done today and plan on doing the wedding veils tomorrow. We will see how that goes.

I wish you all the best most peaceful and energetic day today!

CrazyMtnLady
January 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Good Morning. I was really enjoying the snuggly comfort of being under my covers with my dogs both cuddle up to me, but I had to get up! :(

It is raining today. But tomorrow is suppose to be around 65*F and beautiful...just windy. But the wind will be good because I can get the rest of my laundry done and on the line and dried quickly. Saturday and Sunday are suppose to be a wintery mix.

Barb, I hope the test results are good for your DH. I will send prayers out to all our Australian members and to my Australian family as well.

I want to sew but the sewing area has towels and clothes hanging all around because it rained on them :( Maybe I can get everything folded and clear my sewing area today.

Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Granny Judy
January 10th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I made it here this morning.. usually I get too busy and forget where I put ya all. Prayers going out to all our Aussie friends..and those going thru testing, pain and weird symptoms. Ya know the Lord is right there with ya and wishing I could be in that many places too.

It's suppose to start raining here by noon so I have a bit of sewing waiting for me. Don't know If I'll last that long since I couldn't sleep last night. Thank goodness for computers and on line information. I was able to surf to my hearts content.. almost as good as "reading" the catalogue from Sears & Robuck when it first arrived in the mail. I can do some family tree searches, look at "new" quilts, check out the rubber stamping news without leaving my room.

Off to grab another cuppa and get that machine of mine purring. Ya'll have a productive day and keep those smiles coming..

GrammaBabs
January 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Late arriver as usuall.. but good thoughts and prayers are ALWAYS with you ALL!!!! Blondie,, wanted you to know we are on the same wave length... i've been since Christmas EVERY night folding fabric on boards.... smaller pieces into little FQ packs... and now i have to finish the "fleece" then get to the "scrap drawers"... i've planned forever to use the dryer sheets (have about 5lbs. of those too).. NEVER throw anything out.. get my drift... since my Mr. Bill doesn't mind me always doing something in front of the TV at our"nightly time"... i've folded for almost 2 weeks... now he's going to put an extension cord HD in for me.. so i can press and cut !!!! Knit and crochet was the usual but i'm just a night person... and can't stand just sitting,, so this is a good way for me to get things done.... Mon. off to IKEA for some bookcases... the wall shelves are looking like we might lose the wall ... even with reinforcement.... it's just too much.. so it's looking like another "redesign"... i'm getting excited about this whole process... i'm going to be able to go in there and just "sew" withot pushing and shoving piles aside with every project...
So when you speak of "scrap hoarding" know that you have a soul mate here... plus i've hoarded solids and sheets for BACKING...talk about weight!!!! but they are all "ripped to straight edge and folded on boards".... i am determined... You gals all inspired me to "grow up" and get a grip!!! LOL

Claire Hallman
January 10th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hi folks,
Just popping in for a quickie and hopefully to post a new picture of my new love. I am going to a couple of quilt shops today with two friends, we are going to have a great day. The other grandmother and a sister are there for a few days so I am free for a bit. 36417

Hope health improves for all that are needing that.

Sandy Navas
January 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Since Babs posted the last message I've read this morning, I have to apologize. I never want to be accused of inspiring anyone to 'grow up'. Sorry!

Barb - didn't realize your DH was going to be needing all kinds of invasive procedures. Praying that the results are better than good. There are so many now with aches and pains and disturbing symptoms. You've truly had your plate full with Erica and Dave and now Jeff. Hugs and all kinds of warm fuzzies for you!

Sorry to hear of the devastation in Australia. Sure hope our quilty friends, families and all their neighbors are safe and sound.

Lisa, if you ever figure out why you fall asleep after you eat, please let me be the very first to know. I can eat something and almost immediately want to go to sleep. Quite often I give into the feeling. It was suggested that it may be a blood sugar problem, but even though I am not diabetic, I do check it frequently and that doesn't seem to be the cause at all. There have been no major fluctuations.

It is raining here and I'm concerned about Donna wanting to get her laundry done. I so wish I could send her a personal heat wave just enough to get through what she has interfering with her sewing for the day. Sure hope her DH is doing better, too and that the Dr. reports are better than expected.

And so, I'm off here to see what further the day has in store for me. I have been quite lazy the past couple days and haven't truly finished destashing the living room (it probably needs it way more than my sewing room does). It is such a daunting task that I may leave it, go into hibernation in my sewing cave, and stay there for quite a while. Let's see . . . do I sew, or do I sort scraps?

EnumclawGramma
January 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Morning! On my 3rd cuppa and still waiting for it to kick in, although my morning is well underway!

Barb, I also didn't know your husband was having any problems, praying for good results, please keep us posted. YOU, dear one, are being kept close in thought and prayer today.

De-stashing! I went through that a couple years ago. It went as far as pulling everything out of the attic and getting rid of things I knew my kids would never want. I generated a trip to the dump and numerous trips to the Goodwill. I was also able to sell a lot of stuff at a fundraiser we had for my Son's cancer bills. (which was my motivator in the first place!) I try to stay on top of the collected clutter around my house on a regular basis so I don't have to go through that again, EVER. However, I do have 3 or 4 large plastic bags of fabric scraps given to me by my quilting mentor which she got from the guild at her church. It sits under my desk and taunts me every time I go into my sewing room. One day I will tackle it, and as she did, turn it all into strips and squares, neatly organized by print and color. But...NOT today!

We've had snow off and on the last couple of days. Coming home from taking DGD to school I noticed my street has been freshly sanded, and I can't help but wonder...do they know something I don't know? Is there more coming? Living in the foothills of Mt. Rainier I know what the weather man says rarely applies to us. It's more of a "wait and see" for the weather. Ugh. Ready for Spring.

I best get busy on my mental list of to do's or I won't have time for any sewing today. I hope everyone has a great day, sending prayers and hugs to all who want/need. I read somewhere it takes at least 6 hugs a day to thrive, consider mine one of them!

aliaslaceygreen
January 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Well. I can JUST ABOUT say good morning but only if I don't stop to read all responses....so.... hugs to all that are in need!

Work close today.... had hubby bring down the boxes for Xmas stuff... (it's still pretty early in the year for me to get to this task, BTW....)
Have to contact Insurance and the Podiatrist to set up a surgery date for my foot...I won't schedule it till AFTER quilt retreat however!!!

Must dash, work is soon!!!

Take care

shannonsaulter
January 10th, 2013, 02:23 PM
GM to all..Its only going to be day #2 at work 4 more to go..BLAH!!!!! last night was long!!!! never thought it would end..
I only smoked 2 cigs yesterday and thats quite a feat fo me...I hope to do the same or better today...its raining here and I just want to go back to bed...lol...Hope everyone has a great day!

janluna
January 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM
So sorry to hear everyone is having so many problems. I've been off line as I am doing the books for the CPA. Almost caught up, thank goodness! Prayers are going to everyone. whoops, have to go DH just got home and I'm sure he wants his dinner. Love and Prayers for everyone. Hugs, Jan L. I'll be back later tonight.

Sandy Navas
January 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM
GM to all..Its only going to be day #2 at work 4 more to go..BLAH!!!!! last night was long!!!! never thought it would end..
I only smoked 2 cigs yesterday and thats quite a feat fo me...I hope to do the same or better today...its raining here and I just want to go back to bed...lol...Hope everyone has a great day!

I used to sneak out to have a cigarette in the rain - that helped tremendously . . . try it.

We are ALL pulling for you and the whole group of quitters!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy Navas
January 10th, 2013, 10:13 PM
So sorry to hear everyone is having so many problems. I've been off line as I am doing the books for the CPA. Almost caught up, thank goodness! Prayers are going to everyone. whoops, have to go DH just got home and I'm sure he wants his dinner. Love and Prayers for everyone. Hugs, Jan L. I'll be back later tonight.

Just learned today that our CPA, who was in remission from a bout with throat cancer, has been re . . . what do you call that . . . all his vital organs are now involved. I actually have never met him personally because Al handles all the taxes - but it really hit me hard. He's in his early 40's. So sad.

BellasQuilts
January 11th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Well 8 pm here, so good evening! Saying prayers tonight for all here that need them. Hugs.

bkthomas
January 11th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Good evening All and Good Morning Aussies!!! Just peeking in to say Hello, lest you forget about me! Ha!!!

Madeforyouinma11
January 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Hi folks,
Just popping in for a quickie and hopefully to post a new picture of my new love. I am going to a couple of quilt shops today with two friends, we are going to have a great day. The other grandmother and a sister are there for a few days so I am free for a bit. 36417

Hope health improves for all that are needing that.

OMG! So sweet! I can't wait til June!

Madeforyouinma11
January 11th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Good Morning,

Hoping everything is ok...sending good thoughts and prayers.

auntiemern
January 11th, 2013, 01:44 AM
So sorry to heat that your CPA's cancer has metasticized. So young. Will add him to my prayer list.
Just learned today that our CPA, who was in remission from a bout with throat cancer, has been re . . . what do you call that . . . all his vital organs are now involved. I actually have never met him personally because Al handles all the taxes - but it really hit me hard. He's in his early 40's. So sad.

Madeforyouinma11
January 11th, 2013, 01:46 AM

Yay!! Hang in there!

lilmouse
January 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM
I am checking in really late here...left yesterday and went up to my daughter's up north for an overnighter.....she was suffering from cabin fever, three kids all under the age of 6, no car, hubby drives their only car for work and as he is self employed, he goes all over, so she can't have the car for a day or two, her only outings are church, DRs for the kids and the grocery store! So today we hit a couple of quilt shops, the kids were really well behaved and we treated them to A&W, and Grandma got them ice cream as an extra motivator as we were going to one more store......and I left my purse there! Didn't notice until after they had closed...thank goodness it was in a small town, my daughter left messages for her on her business machine, home machine and facebook, she called after I had left and will drop it off at my daughters in the morning and she will mail me the essentials....thankfully I had put my change purse (with my debit card) in my pocket...so I drove home in the driving rain with no drivers' license...drove slow anyway as I couldn't see all that well....so am home safe and sound! I hate driving in the rain, especially when the semi's pass me, I get blinded from the back splash for several seconds...it was horrible...took me a good half an hour longer to get home! Needless to say I will be driving very carefully until I get my license back! Bought some gorgeous fabrics, and took some fabrics to my daughter as well as more batting....to help her out....kids are expensive and I know she doesn't have the funds right now so I try and help her out!
Life is good, got to see my first revival type service and it was awesome! I am thinking I need to join the other girls and quit smoking, am working on what I can substitute; can't chew gum, am allergic to adhesives, and can't afford Chantrix and am afraid to try it with my depression and seizure issues! They are all under control and I don't want to screw that up!
Prayers being said for all, am going to try and catch up on the forum and go to bed...Tomorrow is another busy day!